Jump to content
kevwun

All Things Brisket

Recommended Posts

I’ve done some turbo butts lately on the BGE (higher heat for shorter time) and they came out pretty good. Is there such thing as a turbo brisket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my humble recommendation when it comes to brisket.

I was planning on smoking a 12 pound brisket on Saturday but I had a last minute recording session and had to leave town, my wife messed up the recipe but it turned out great, here is what happened: 

I brined the 12 pound brisket starting Friday night then left town. 
My wife on Saturday night forgot what I told her and took the brisket out of the brine and rinsed it, she then rubbed it with a mixture of ground chipotle pepper, black pepper, chili powder, sugar, $#@!in and cilantro, she then cut it in two (don’t ask why) and put each piece in a large freezer bag, put half a bottle of liquid smoke in each bag and put them back in the fridge, on Sunday night she put both pieces into a large metal turkey roasting pan then covered them with a mixture of Stubbs and cattleman’s BBQ sauce, she cooked it at 225 for 5 hours. I was pissed with I got home and while I was yelling about her screwing up my brisket she shoves a piece of the brisket in my mouth, I almost popped a boner, it was the best $#@!ing brisket I have ever tasted outside of a restaurant. My wife is giving me the biggest $#@! eating grin along with a told you so look. 

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm making 2 of them next Saturday.  They will be delicious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Whats the latest price at HEB? Or do we need an all encompassing meat prices thread?

Is HEB even open right now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying out Walmart briskets this weekend.  My HEB usually only has 4 or 5 packers if I'm lucky and they are all over the place in terms of size and shape.  Walmart had 20 something for me to pick through and I found two 14 pounders that were almost identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Mikey4 said:

Here is my humble recommendation when it comes to brisket.

I was planning on smoking a 12 pound brisket on Saturday but I had a last minute recording session and had to leave town, my wife messed up the recipe but it turned out great, here is what happened: 

I brined the 12 pound brisket starting Friday night then left town. 
My wife on Saturday night forgot what I told her and took the brisket out of the brine and rinsed it, she then rubbed it with a mixture of ground chipotle pepper, black pepper, chili powder, sugar, $#@!in and cilantro, she then cut it in two (don’t ask why) and put each piece in a large freezer bag, put half a bottle of liquid smoke in each bag and put them back in the fridge, on Sunday night she put both pieces into a large metal turkey roasting pan then covered them with a mixture of Stubbs and cattleman’s BBQ sauce, she cooked it at 225 for 5 hours. I was pissed with I got home and while I was yelling about her screwing up my brisket she shoves a piece of the brisket in my mouth, I almost popped a boner, it was the best $#@!ing brisket I have ever tasted outside of a restaurant. My wife is giving me the biggest $#@! eating grin along with a told you so look. 

 

OK, timeout.  She "cooked" them?  Or she actually smoked them?  Sounds to me like a braised brisket or passover brisket?  Both are great, but in the oven that great bark just doesn't happen.  Matter of preference I guess.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

OK, timeout.  She "cooked" them?  Or she actually smoked them?  Sounds to me like a braised brisket or passover brisket?  Both are great, but in the oven that great bark just doesn't happen.  Matter of preference I guess.  

She did "cook" them.  That's why it was so awesome and easy.   Makes the whole process a lot less of a hassle and the taste is... well it's OMG amaaaazing!!!  Don't overthink things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dcbc said:

I have found choice briskets at WalMart.  They are fine.

I will probably regret posting this, but "greater good" and all....

Walmart regularly has choice grade CAB briskets for, wait for it, $1.96/lb. That's a solid dollar cheaper than RD or any of the wholesalers that I buy from. Wally is getting a ton of money from me lately because of that. Its hilarious to see their faces when I'm rolling out a basket full of briskets at 0400.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a crazy good bargain. Wish Wally World sold them for that price here.

Champ, since you smoke about a million briskets a year, you seem like the ideal person to ask for this: do you notice much difference between Choice and Prime? I have not, but I smoke a half dozen or so a year, so ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

I will probably regret posting this, but "greater good" and all....

Walmart regularly has choice grade CAB briskets for, wait for it, $1.96/lb. That's a solid dollar cheaper than RD or any of the wholesalers that I buy from. Wally is getting a ton of money from me lately because of that. Its hilarious to see their faces when I'm rolling out a basket full of briskets at 0400.

Bought 5 boxes of wal mart in Sunset Valley brisket in Jan. for a charity fundraiser. $1.96 a lbs. Turned out fine. 

Edited by swTXSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to cook a brisket on Friday to bring to an early Easter celebration on Saturday at noon.  I have an hour drive and it pretty much needs to be ready to eat when I get there.  I have an egg smoker but I don't want to cook it all night Friday night.  I'd prefer to finish cooking it by Friday evening, refrigerate it and then reheat it Sat. morning.  Any suggestions on how to reheat it and then store it for the hour drive?  I'm concerned that it will be overdone and falling apart when I serve it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

That's a crazy good bargain. Wish Wally World sold them for that price here.

Champ, since you smoke about a million briskets a year, you seem like the ideal person to ask for this: do you notice much difference between Choice and Prime? I have not, but I smoke a half dozen or so a year, so ...

Very little difference IMO. I prefer choice CAB because they cook more consistently from brisket to brisket. Again, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 6:09 PM, HouTex said:

I need to cook a brisket on Friday to bring to an early Easter celebration on Saturday at noon.  I have an hour drive and it pretty much needs to be ready to eat when I get there.  I have an egg smoker but I don't want to cook it all night Friday night.  I'd prefer to finish cooking it by Friday evening, refrigerate it and then reheat it Sat. morning.  Any suggestions on how to reheat it and then store it for the hour drive?  I'm concerned that it will be overdone and falling apart when I serve it. 

Cook, rest, wrap in paper, refrigerate. Next morning heat it (leave it in the paper) in a 300* oven to an internal temp of 140-150. Put it in a cooler and drive. It will still be serving temp when you arrive. No risk of it turning to mush just because you reheated and put in a cooler. That only happens if you put a 200* brisket in a cooler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, LosIllini said:

Nothing wrong w/ WalMart choice packer briskets.   Buy them there all the time.

That wasn't my point. The quality is more than sufficient. The price was the point of my post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Cook, rest, wrap in paper, refrigerate. Next morning heat it (leave it in the paper) in a 300* oven to an internal temp of 140-150. Put it in a cooler and drive. It will still be serving temp when you arrive. No risk of it turning to mush just because you reheated and put in a cooler. That only happens if you put a 200* brisket in a cooler.

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ChampKind said:

That wasn't my point. The quality is more than sufficient. The price was the point of my post

I'm with you 100%.  Price to quality ratio is unbeatable. 

...And, you don't have to wait for $1.99/lb sales.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m thinking of buying this smoker. Seems like a pretty good deal. My main criteria is good gauge metal and fire box opening on the side, not the top.

253b1c8fad6edfc85a2f92f2d8328e15.jpg

fe8a4306a815de533f12560ff8aaa223.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, ChampKind said:

Very little difference IMO. I prefer choice CAB because they cook more consistently from brisket to brisket. Again, IMO.

Who the hell asked you?  Choice CAB is a good piece and I think is along the line of it being "graded" correctly as sometimes you are paying Prime prices without getting Prime quality. However, smoking up the right kind of Prime brisket is like a little piece of heaven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who the hell asked you?  Choice CAB is a good piece and I think is along the line of it being "graded" correctly as sometimes you are paying Prime prices without getting Prime quality. However, smoking up the right kind of Prime brisket is like a little piece of heaven. 


Are you drunk? Or just retarded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, ChampKind said:

Very little difference IMO. I prefer choice CAB because they cook more consistently from brisket to brisket. Again, IMO.

What is CAB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CAB is Certified Angus Beef. But honestly, any upper choice Angus product will be pretty good. I actually prefer briskets from 44 Farms but they can't supply me right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones I made yesterday turned out just fine.  Walmart has greatly improved the quality of the meat they sell.  I refused to buy any from them for years because of the crap they used to sell.  That's not the case anymore though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texhorn said:

walmart briskets?

blink-182-wtf-gif-11.gif[

Walmart sells briskets packaged by Excel, Swift, and IBP. You know who packages the briskets sold at Restaurant Depot and Costco (and those distributed by Ben E Keith, Sysco, Freedman, and Gordon's)?

 

Excel, Swift, and IBP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told that CAB was just a marketing gimmick. Is there anything about angus cattle that makes the meat taste better?

Or is it just that they are black? /norassis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's reliably good meat because it has to meet quality standards, but it may or may not be angus.  The animal only has to have a 51% black hide to be considered angus so that part is bullshit.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...