All Things Brisket

kevwun

20 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
21 hours ago, Lurch said:
I almost never pull before 203* anymore

I've gotten of the opinion that way more people pull too early rather than late.

I did with an Argentine girl that I knew that I did not want to have permanent ties with even though her English was pretty good and she had the body of a supermodel (at that time).

The fact that she got 5 to 6 massive tattoos over the next 15 to 18 months on her (formerly) beautiful skin really solidified that I made the right decision.

As for brisket, I've got to not pulling until the damned thing is black and you and pinch off a corner if need be. I don't need the thermometer anymore. (And I don't even do more than 1 to 3 briskets/year.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:51 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Back to brisket - I managed to find Prime brisket at my Costco today at $2.79 / pound.  Based upon the dire predictions about the price and availability of beef, I feel like I won the lottery (small scratch off prize, but won the lottery nonetheless). 

Does Costco process their own livestock?

I remember reading an article about 1 to 2 years ago about how they sell so much chicken that they were trying to eliminate the middle man. I'm wondering if they do this with all of their meats.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

And why I don’t cook brisket much.  I have pork butt and ribs nailed.  But have never made a brisket I’m proud of.  I think it requires old school offset smoke .  Or a metal turkey pan with liquid smoke.  Maybe I should just stick with sushi. 

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
And why I don’t cook brisket much.  I have pork butt and ribs nailed.  But have never made a brisket I’m proud of.  I think it requires old school offset smoke .  Or a metal turkey pan with liquid smoke.  Maybe I should just stick with sushi. 

What are you cooking on?

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" (or maybe 18 1/2").

I used to put water in the heat sink tank, but now I put two terra-cotta plant pot bases in the heat sink.

Also, I've found that the lower quality of meat, the better.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain 18" (or maybe 18 1/2").

I used to put water in the heat sink tank, but now I put two terra-cotta plant pot bases in the heat sink.

Also, I've found that the lower quality of meat, the better.
I've found water to be key for me, but I'm in CO and it's dry as fuck here.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

So, you took a picture of your smoker with your phone, and instead of posting the picture,  you took a screenshot (picture) of the picture and posted that?

yo dawg GIF

Yeah. It was a short video but I couldn’t get that on here. I’m old and technology baffles me. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

What are you cooking on?

Masterbuilt Electric smoker.  

I had never cooked a brisket I was proud of either. Until quarantine started. I had time to read Franklin’s recipe and process. Nailed that sumbitch on the first try. Highly recommend the videos of people showing you how he does it and also his book. 

Perfect basic recipe. No bullshit. I didn’t even take pics...just started eating and drove 1/4 to my parents and 1/4 to my wife’s dad.

Ill try and post pics of the next one waiting in the freezer.

• Like 5

I cooked one of the best briskets I've ever done around a month ago. Weather forecast seemed good, slight chance of rain. Got the brisket on around 4am and have it chugging along at 250ish. Around 7am I see lightning off in the distance and don't pay it too much attention, seemed like it was moving to the north and would miss us. Next thing I know all hell breaks loose, strong winds, torrential rain, firebox temp drops to 110 degrees and can't raise it no matter what. Wait out the storm for about 30 min and get the temp back up and then the winds kick back up and it's a constant battle to maintain any sort of even temp. It would spike to 325 and then down to 200. Finally just gave up, wrapped it and moved it to the oven around noon. Figured it was all a waste now and just wanted to be done with this one and move on. Then it got to 203 and I probed and it was smooth as butter and I instantly knew it was gonna be a good one. There's no rhyme or reason to brisket, you can do everything perfect and it turns out shitty or everything that can go wrong will and it turns out perfect

• Like 5

Burnt orange Weber Genesis gas grill with hickory chips in the box smoke last night. I’m a noob inspired by all y’all and Franklin’s online guide. Put 13 lbs on cold at 9:45 pm at 220 F. Hit 150 F internal stall that lasted forever. Wrapped in foil at 8 am and didn’t reach 200 F internal until after Noon. Toweled it and stuck it in an ice chest for 4 hours. No smoke ring, but connective tissue is broken down to collagen, I’m told. 6b31eaab32235b46f2f67eedb54111f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

It was way better than the initial version.  Very tender.

A Pacifico or two with breakfast?

Are you in Marina del Rey [said sounding like Fred Armison on "The Californians"]?

Redondo? Further north? Further south?

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

A Pacifico or two with breakfast?

Are you in Marina del Rey [said sounding like Fred Armison on "The Californians"]?

Redondo? Further north? Further south?

San Pedro.  I was in Channel Islands Harbor for about 13 years, but moved 2 years ago to be closer to Catalina Island.  I love sailing the Channel Islands (Santa Cruz, Anacapa, etc) but the fam isn’t as into that.  The harbor is way less picturesque here though, but I went to Catalina like 7 or 8 times last year. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

San Pedro.  I was in Channel Islands Harbor for about 13 years, but moved 2 years ago to be closer to Catalina Island.  I love sailing the Channel Islands (Santa Cruz, Anacapa, etc) but the fam isn’t as into that.  The harbor is way less picturesque here though, but I went to Catalina like 7 or 8 times last year. 

I was a topless extra as a ~guard/henchman on an episode of Pamela Anderson’s show “V.I.P.” In that park with the Chinese pagoda (?) in San Pedro and an extra as blue-collar guy with blue-collar car on the suspension bridge in the Port of LA in the scene from “Gone In 60 Seconds” where Nicholas Cage uses the ramp of a large flat-bed tow truck to jump the multi-car pileup blocking his escape from the BMW-driving plain-clothes cops, so I know where you’re talking about. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Here's my apocalypse brisket. Forgot the money shot. Best brisket yet. Still trying to dial it in. Bark didn't hold up great once wrapped. Tasted great, though. 3b53e4aa8ffbd835b2048c3366140125.jpg

I've heard Franklin say he takes the bark just past perfect because he knows it will soften up when wrapped, and then will be money when you eat it.

12lb brisket trimmed down to probably 11lbs, put it on at 4am. Stalled at 145° which I thought was unusual. Probed it when it hit 203° and it went through with no resistance. Really happy with this one, looking forward to cold brisket/mayo sandwiches tomorrow 884bbee86c703568ad03cf3d7bdc1586.jpg

I wondered how you only trimmed down from 12lb to 11, but then I saw the pic
  • Like 3

I had a vacuum sealed point sitting in the freezer, so I heated it back up with the sous vide for brisket grilled cheese sandwiches. I still had a good bit left so I made this chili:

https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-brisket-chili-recipe-and-video/

Left out the beans and corn and didn’t have any coffee, but it was still damn good. I let it simmer about 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
57 minutes ago, jw4381 said:
Trying my first full brisket tomorrow. Starting the cook at 10 pm. 

Wish me luck. 

You must fight the urge to pull it too early. Fight it!

195? Then rest an hour?

Edited by jw4381

195?
That is probably too low, I hear 202 a lot, but you gotta probe the flat for the warm butter tenderness, its really is the only way to tell. Start doing it at 190 when you know it won't probe tender and you can get a feel for what it shouldn't be like then maybe every 10 or 15 minutes or so.

I said this here a bit back, but I think most of the dry flats are a result of pulling too early not too late.
  • Like 1

That is probably too low, I hear 202 a lot, but you gotta probe the flat for the warm butter tenderness, its really is the only way to tell. Start doing it at 190 when you know it won't probe tender and you can get a feel for what it shouldn't be like then maybe every 10 or 15 minutes or so.

I said this here a bit back, but I think most of the dry flats are a result of pulling too early not too late.
Probe, probe, probe. Franklin says most of his come off at 203, but every piece of meat is different.
  • Like 1