Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

The battery was going bad on my son's iphone 6.  He saved up enough from his summer job to buy himself a nice new iphone XR last week and graciously (with some parental encouragement) offered to give his sister his old phone to replace her ancient iphone 5.  I ordered a battery replacement kit from ifixit for about $25, and it came today.  It took me about an hour, but I got the battery replaced with no mistakes and it worked perfectly when I powered it up.  Those tiny screws inside were a bitch for my old eyes. I ended up dropping one of them into the carpet, but managed to find it quickly.  I feel pretty good about myself right now.

• Like 2

Bought a new grass trimmer today after nursing a shitty one for years now. It was so wonderful to kill every overgrown blade of grass that have been hanging out for a long time now. Then I moved on to killing weeds that crept into the cracks in the driveway. Finished with clearing off our back porch. It's so clean now. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Bought a new grass trimmer today after nursing a shitty one for years now. It was so wonderful to kill every overgrown blade of grass that have been hanging out for a long time now. Then I moved on to killing weeds that crept into the cracks in the driveway. Finished with clearing off our back porch. It's so clean now. 

What did you get? I've always been a gas guy but I'm about sick and tired of screwing with carbs. Especially with the new electric stuff. 

7 minutes ago, pops said:

What did you get? I've always been a gas guy but I'm about sick and tired of screwing with carbs. Especially with the new electric stuff. 

Just a simple 7.5 amp Black and Decker. I prefer corded as I have outdoor plugs in the front and back of my house and a long enough cord to get every spot. Battery ones are probably nice but I don't want to hassle with battery pack recharging. Also have an electric blower and edger. Though the trimmer has the ability to switch to an edger. Still, like the big blade on the edger. 

https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/lawn-and-garden/lawn/string-trimmers/75-amp-14-in-trimmeredger/gh3000

Edited by mdmost

We have the E-Go trimmer and blower, powerful little tools.  We're looking to do the mower for next season, the trimmer is self loading which is nice.  I'm trying to get away from gas/bs mixture as much as possible, snow blower will be the only gas tool we'll have left. 

• Like 2

Finally my dipshit neighbor across the street broke down and pruned the horrible treebush monstrosity that had completely overgrown and hung down touching the sidewalk and out to the curb making it impossible to walk on the sidewalk.  

Of course, he left all the pruned limbs and debris unbound and piled on the sidewalk but a start is a start.  Perhaps the trash fairies may come by and pick it all up.  I'm sure that's his plan. 

the (recorded, audio) commentary on Russian dashcam (car crash videos) always makes me smile-- I don't even know what I'm hearing, something along the lines of "nice move, you fuckin' dipshit", but there's this kind of laconic shrugginess to the way the drivers talk

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the (recorded, audio) commentary on Russian dashcam (car crash videos) always makes me smile-- I don't even know what I'm hearing, something along the lines of "nice move, you fuckin' dipshit", but there's this kind of laconic shrugginess to the way the drivers talk

the complete lack of audible reaction on dashcam when that meteor exploded over central russia several years back was amazing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Just a good ol' greasy, small-town Texas cafe bacon cheeseburger. Doesn't have to be the best -- your average small town Texas cafe bacon cheeseburger will do. Especially if the soft drinks are served in red plastic cups, and there's a case on the counter with apple and pecan pies.

Now that's the good stuff, my man. There is a little Dairy King in a town, population maybe 200,  halfway between where I live and my lake house. I stop in there when I have the time and get a double burger with bacon, crinkle cut fries, and a cold Dr Pepper. Little slice of heaven right there. 

Edited by lateshow
  • Like 2