HORNS FB INJURIES (2020)

LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

High ankle sprains have needed surgery? I’m not a trainer or a doctor but what in tar nation. If I’m missing something here feel free to enlighten me. 

Here's example...

Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa has surgery to repair high ankle sprain

Our physicians performed a successful tightrope procedure on his right ankle this morning,” Alabama Coach Nick Saban said in a statement Sunday. “This is the same injury, but the opposite ankle that Tua injured last season. Tua will miss next week’s game against Arkansas, but we expect a full and speedy recovery.”

“Speedy” may be the most important word as Alabama enters the toughest part of its schedule. Last year, Tagovailoa had the procedure after the Dec. 1 SEC title game and returned to play 28 days later in the Orange Bowl, although he was not at full strength.

“What we do is we drill a hole from the fibula into the tibia and cast these tightropes through the bone and sync it down and tighten it,” Norman Waldrop, part of the surgical team that performed Tagovailoa’s surgery in 2018, told ESPN last year. “What these tightropes do are stabilize the ankle. It holds that little bone in its home. It holds it still and stable enough that the bones don’t want to spread apart.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/20/alabamas-tua-tagovailoa-out-least-one-game-with-high-ankle-sprain/

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Here's example...

Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa has surgery to repair high ankle sprain

Our physicians performed a successful tightrope procedure on his right ankle this morning,” Alabama Coach Nick Saban said in a statement Sunday. “This is the same injury, but the opposite ankle that Tua injured last season. Tua will miss next week’s game against Arkansas, but we expect a full and speedy recovery.”

“Speedy” may be the most important word as Alabama enters the toughest part of its schedule. Last year, Tagovailoa had the procedure after the Dec. 1 SEC title game and returned to play 28 days later in the Orange Bowl, although he was not at full strength.

“What we do is we drill a hole from the fibula into the tibia and cast these tightropes through the bone and sync it down and tighten it,” Norman Waldrop, part of the surgical team that performed Tagovailoa’s surgery in 2018, told ESPN last year. “What these tightropes do are stabilize the ankle. It holds that little bone in its home. It holds it still and stable enough that the bones don’t want to spread apart.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/20/alabamas-tua-tagovailoa-out-least-one-game-with-high-ankle-sprain/

Thank you sir! I guess I put my foot in my mouth a little bit. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

High ankle sprains have needed surgery? I’m not a trainer or a doctor but what in tar nation. If I’m missing something here feel free to enlighten me. 

Depending on severity. It's worrisome that Herman even mentioned that option with regard to Ingram. May be worse than "just" a garden-variety sprain.

• Like 1

Joseph Cook: Everyone is playing through pain at this point, especially Sam Ehlinger

The hits, scrapes, dings, bumps, and bruises for any individual player accumulate as a football season carries on. That was on display for the Texas Longhorns against Oklahoma State when Joseph Ossai, who began the game in a shoulder brace, abandoned the protective measure at some juncture. He may have been feeling some pain but he obviously felt well enough to whip Cowboy offensive linemen on a consistent basis.

Ossai isn’t the only player fighting through pain. The offense is placed on Sam Ehlinger’s shoulders week after week. He does it with his arm and his legs, the latter of which has him leading Texas in rushing attempts. Sacks play into that statistic, which means even more hits on the Texas quarterback. The Longhorn offensive line allows 2.67 sacks per game, a mark that is sixth in the ten-team Big 12 Conference.

Ehlinger takes hits at a very steady rate and those hits have him looking less than 100 percent on the field of late. That isn’t stopping Ehlinger from playing with 100 percent effort. According to Ehlinger, he’s not injured, but hurting, and hurting is no excuse for him to not be on the field.

“Part of being a good football player is being able to play through pain,” Ehlinger said Monday. “That’s just part of it. That’s the way it goes. When you choose football, you choose the most physical sport besides maybe rugby and some other sports. For the most part, the most physical sport. In order to excel at that sport, you have to be able to have a physical toughness to you.” These aren’t injuries, which Ehlinger described as “a structural damage to your body” that can only worsen in playing a game. This is what comes with the territory of playing football.

Ehlinger has been remarkably durable despite the accumulation of hits he’s taken throughout his career. He’s on pace to lead the Longhorns in rushing attempts for the second time in his four-year career. There being a three-way split among Longhorn running backs does contribute to him leading the team in carries, but it serves as more evidence of what he is asked to do and what his body goes through week after week.

Ehlinger recorded a carry 13 times against Oklahoma State and tallied -9 yards. Five Cowboy sacks for a loss of 37 yards obviously plays into that stat line, but it speaks to the number of hits Ehlinger took on the way to Texas’ overtime win. For the fourth-year quarterback, it’s just part of the job. Playing hurt is what he knows, and what he seems to do well.

“Sam’s hurt all the time,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said Tuesday. “This is a guy that plays the game very physically, and he’s going to be banged up, bumps and bruises, body is going to be sore, and he doesn’t mind. That’s the way he plays, he knows that’s the way he plays, and he knows that’s how he’s going to feel on Sundays and Mondays. He’s pretty used to this.”

Of course, others in the Longhorn locker room are experiencing what Ehlinger discussed with the media. Any player who plays not just on Saturdays, but on Saturdays and five other days during practice knows the risks associated with playing football and the physical beating that comes with it. Ehlinger does it while front and center. Others follow his lead. It’s all Texas can ask for from the fourth-year quarterback.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Joseph Cook: Everyone is playing through pain at this point, especially Sam Ehlinger

Damn... Too many words to just say Sam and Ossai are banged up and playing hurt.  Hope Joseph isn't risking his NFL career by playing without the shoulder brace...

32 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

He was trying to cover the kick.  WTF?  What happened to the punter being the safety?

You might have noticed that attention to detail is not Herman’s strong suit.   Details such as playing the best players and protecting guys you can’t replace because you had no real backup plan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

Not all of ‘em.  They keep the tough ones in Australia to play Aussie Rules and send the soft ones over here to play American Football.

Those dudes could definitely teach our guys a thing or two about proper tackling.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to HORNS FB INJURIES (2020)