Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Lobwedgephil

Apple iPhone Thread

On 5/3/2020 at 9:23 PM, Upgrayedd said:

I got the ones from Costco.  Works like a champ.

Got one today.  Actually two.  My phone just shipped, but the GF is using it on hers and it seems to work great. Thanks. 

Just got the SE delivered.  In the middle of setup process now.  It's noice that my existing cases fit so I don't have to buy another one of the expensive fuckers.

question about the phone I'm retiring:  Is it still S.O.P. to drain the battery completely before sticking it in a drawer somewhere?

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

question about the phone I'm retiring:  Is it still S.O.P. to drain the battery completely before sticking it in a drawer somewhere?

I charge my old one periodically in case I need it for a backup.  Don't know if that's SOP or not.  I think they like it better when they have a charge.

Really tempted by the new SE but the batter capacity appears noticeably less than my Xr. Kinda a bummer as I loved the original SE

So, Apple said that you get like 12 hours of video from the new SE.

Meanwhile, after using my phone today for about 12 hours, including listening to music over Bluetooth and headphones I’m at 10% battery

On 5/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, bluto said:

Really tempted by the new SE but the batter capacity appears noticeably less than my Xr. Kinda a bummer as I loved the original SE

On 5/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, Apple said that you get like 12 hours of video from the new SE.

Meanwhile, after using my phone today for about 12 hours, including listening to music over Bluetooth and headphones I’m at 10% battery

here is what Anandtech said about it, it's much less than the XR in their tests (12.95 vs 10.7)

n0PwyDdc

full review here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15745/the-iphone-se-2020-quick-review-reinvigorated-classic/7

In terms of battery life, the iPhone SE is said to perform similarly to the iPhone 8. Apple here employs a much newer and more efficient SoC in the form of the A13, while retaining the same battery capacity and display panel as the older phone. In essence, what we’re testing here is merely Apple’s calibration of the iPhone SE’s A13 chip in terms of its performance vs energy usage. Naturally of course, the new SE will have a more efficient cellular and WiFi chip as well which will contribute to the efficiency of the device.

In our web browsing test that we were able to run overnight, the iPhone SE confirms Apple’s claims of it matching the iPhone 8, and we’re essentially getting near identical results at 10.7h vs 10.4h, only a few minutes apart difference between the two devices.

We had noted in our iPhone 11 review that Apple’s battery life marketing claims oddly matched the results in our web test, and this again is the case for the new iPhone SE.

Whilst the iPhone SE isn’t able to match the longevity of the iPhone 11’s, it’s still a reasonably good result considering the battery capacity and size of the phone.

I had a fucking nightmare today.  

My mom has been using androids, and can never figure shit out on them.  She's constantly calling me asking how to do something.    She was bitching the other day about something wrong with her phone, so I ordered her an SE.

So, today I'm using the app to migrate all the contacts, photos, etc over from the android to the iphone.  It doesn't work.  I try everything.  I search the web for answers, and still, nothing works.

So, I call applecare.  I went through 3 people there, and nobody could figure it out.   Finally, I pulled my old 6 out of the drawer, powered it up, wiped it clean, and then tried doing the migration with it instead of the SE.   Easy as pie, smooth as silk.  15 minutes later, all my mom's shit was on my old 6.  Then, I wipe her new SE, and set it up using the 6 and the iOS to iOS dealie.  Again, smooth as silk.   Finally, it's done. 

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I had a fucking nightmare today.  

My mom has been using androids, and can never figure shit out on them.  She's constantly calling me asking how to do something.    She was bitching the other day about something wrong with her phone, so I ordered her an SE.

So, today I'm using the app to migrate all the contacts, photos, etc over from the android to the iphone.  It doesn't work.  I try everything.  I search the web for answers, and still, nothing works.

So, I call applecare.  I went through 3 people there, and nobody could figure it out.   Finally, I pulled my old 6 out of the drawer, powered it up, wiped it clean, and then tried doing the migration with it instead of the SE.   Easy as pie, smooth as silk.  15 minutes later, all my mom's shit was on my old 6.  Then, I wipe her new SE, and set it up using the 6 and the iOS to iOS dealie.  Again, smooth as silk.   Finally, it's done. 

just did this for my mom too actually - had issues, google'd found a bunch of crap, restarted, disconnected/reconnected to wifi and it finally worked, just took like 4 hours (!!!)

Yeah Apple’s transfer process is hot garbage. I’ve gotten stuck in loops even going from iPhone to iPhone.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Yeah Apple’s transfer process is hot garbage. I’ve gotten stuck in loops even going from iPhone to iPhone.

turns out my mom's finished last night - or said it did - then after setting up her phone nothing transferred over. 

great.