The movie you just watched

F250

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

From the last two months or so 

Long Shot- pretty good rom com. 7/10

Sputnik- subtitled sci-fi/horror. Nothing special. 4/10

Edge of Tomorrow- Fun sci-fi/action. Big fan of goofy action figure Tom Cruise. 7.5/10

A Promising Young Woman- a lot of mixed feelings on this one. Really enjoyed Mulligan. 6.5/10

The Little Things- massive flop in one of my favorite genres with some of my favorite actors. Not a good movie. 4/10

Under the Shadow- middle-eastern movie with a nice 84 minute run time. "During the Iran-Iraq conflict, a Tehran woman caring for her daughter while her husband is at war is gradually convinced evil spirits are at work."  7.5/10

Da Five Bloods- not my cup of tea. 3.5/10

Me Earl and the Dying Girl- really enjoyed this one, cool movie. 9/10

Charade- really entertaining for an older movie. 9/10

The Raid 2- great action movie. The 2.5 hour run time didn't bother me. Was lost at times, but didn't care. The dubbing was annoying. 9/10

Get Duked!- fun dark comedy. 6.5/10

Better Watch Out- critics loved this dark comedy, but I feel like it didn't fit together very well. 4.5/10

Gretel and Hansel- visually great, enjoyed the synth soundtrack. Movie was nonsensical though. 5/10

Chef- enjoyable redemption movie. 6.5/10

Blow the Man Down- not a particularly good seedy underground in a small town movie. 5/10

Filth- James Mcavoy playing a scumbag cop in Scotland. Starts off entertaining (and a little fucked up), but falls apart towards the end. 6.5/10

Shot Caller- entertaining prison game movie that was 30 minutes too long. 6.5/10

Black Bear- psychological mindfuck thriller that doesn't quite nail it, but I thought it was interesting. 6.5/10

Wonder Woman 1984- not only is it bad, it's long as fuck. 2/10

The Love Witch- a very sexual campy horror movie that seems to be a throwback to 70s movies 7.5/10

Possessor- directing debut of Brandon Cronenberg, son of David Cronenberg. A sci-fi assassin movie with some weird shit going on. 7.5/10

Blow Up- this movie didn’t age very well because it’s too meandering and ADD, but was probably really influential and better in its time. 6/10

Wolf of Snow Hollow- the second movie from director/actor Jim Cummings (after Thunder Road, which I thought was good), is a solid dark comedy horror movie. Two doubles in this director's first two movies, he seems promising. 7/10

Bacaurau- not sure how to describe this one, but I thought it was one of the better movies I saw from 2020. Won't be for everybody. 8.5/10

Out of Sight- Good but not great movie, but maybe my expectations were too high after some people recently ranked it as Soderbergh's best movie. The weird frame freezes and J-Lo's poor acting took me out of the movie at times. A little too long at two hours. Clooney was great, and the rest of the cast outside of J-Lo were really good. Worth a watch. 7/10

The Devil all the Time- loaded cast of up and coming actors and has decent ratings from both the critics and audience, but the movie didn't do much for me. Fucked up shit happens to hillbillies out in the sticks... ok. Way too long at two hours and fifteen minutes. 6/10 

The Limey- solid revenge movie that does some creative artsy camera work, editing, and weird short flashbacks and flashforwards, but doesn't feel like it's overdoing it, maybe because the movie is only an hour and a half and is pretty interesting/entertaining. 7/10

Ava- the worst of the female lead spy or assassin movies that have come out over the past decade or so (Haywire, Atomic blonde, Salt, Hanna, Red sparrow, Anna). A waste of some of my favorite actors (Chastain, Malkovich, Farrell). 4/10

Blood and Black Lace- this gorgeous movie has aged really well for film from 1964. Kind of a blend of Agatha Christie, Scream, and Hitchcock. The English dubbing and the ending dragging a little big keeps it from getting top marks, but worth a watch. Less than an hour and a half. Streaming on Prime. 9.5/10

Way to low on Shot Caller. It's probably the best crime movie I've seen since Eastern Promises. 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, tantric superman said:

I was kind of taken in by the Spanish Civil War angle as well as the links to "Spirit of the Beehive".  With those backdrops I kind of gave in to the fantasy aspects of the film (child's perspective) and just though he took a risk and it worked perfectly.

The "not out of 2nd gear" is an interesting take -- it certainly didn't have a big ending and that is part of why I liked it. I didn't see it at all as half baked - I think Del Toro baked it just as much as he wanted. 

Pan’s is my favorite movie. I think it’s perfect 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, Continental Op said:

Revisited Hereditary.  It's very well done and I noticed a few things I missed the first time I saw it, mainly

Hide contents

the fact that when they do the day to night shot transition after Peter gets home from school after he knocks himself out all of the naked cultists are standing outside the house in the night shot.  Pretty creepy.

I thought it was a masterpiece. I enjoyed reading the wiki about the demon and then rewatching

I think the best horrors of the decade were this, The Witch, and The Wailing

• Like 1

Just finished Psycho Raman, a 2016 neo-noir psychological thriller available on Netflix. A very dark, twisted story of how the lives of a violent, power-hungry cop and the serial killer he pursues become intertwined. Highly recommended for Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Vicky Kaushal's performances alone.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/raman_raghav_20

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Miss Bala (2011 original Mexican version)

I thought this was pretty good.  Straightforward Baja Cali cartel story based on true events (Sinaloa beauty queen).

The lead actress isn't a beauty queen, but the story works.

5103c6e0c0684.png

the updated version wasn't bad at all

Hard Hate - great cast (Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow and Samuel L. Jackson) - professional gambler takes a loser under his wing. 

Crazy- I just rewatched this last night because it was fairly short, and I’d just finished Judas and the Black Messiah. This is such a great film, and you can see PT Anderson’s style taking shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Nocturnal Animals. In the first 5 minutes, it had more full frontal nudity than all the other movies released that year. It was not appreciated even though it was all women.

Even though it had good reviews, I turned it off after 20 minutes. Dialog was stilted and the overall tone was meh.

Sounds like you watched 15 minutes too long.

Watched Dark Waters earlier...pretty good flick

A tenacious attorney uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths to one of the world's largest corporations(DuPont). While trying to expose the truth, he soon finds himself risking his future, his family and his own life.

Death Race 2000 (1975).  The original with David Carradeen (sp?) and a very young Sylvester Stallone.  Man I forgot how gloriously cheesy this movie was.  Like a live action Wacky Racers cartoon at times.  Lots of naked women and clothed women with no bra and very sheer fabrics.  Hilarious acting from the men.

My son finally understands my jokes while driving about how many points people would be worth if we ran them over.

• Hook 'Em 2