2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is why Kansas consistently wins the Big 12. They have the best home court advantage in college sports. 

This Kansas team isn't that great, they have a 2-7 record on the road, yet here they are 15-0 at home running arguably the best team in the conference. 

Well, their last two road games are against OU and OSU, so I think their road woes are about to come to and end.

38 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I like Al but this thread is a beating because no matter what page you're on there's multiple posts about just how bad ISU is.  One of my best friends (Jared Homan) played for ISU and there's lots of great ISU people in Chicago, so I have to give a pass.  Anyways, carry on. 

Small world.  He is a friend of a friend.  Have partied with him a few times back in the day.

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is why Kansas consistently wins the Big 12. They have the best home court advantage in college sports. 

This Kansas team isn't that great, they have a 2-7 record on the road, yet here they are 15-0 at home running arguably the best team in the conference. 

Yeah, a couple of the years the streak extended Kansas wasn’t necessarily the best team. But you generally have to be a game better to cover the home game that you’re gonna drop that they’re not.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Yeah, a couple of the years the streak extended Kansas wasn’t necessarily the best team. But you generally have to be a game better to cover the home game that you’re gonna drop that they’re not.

Win your home games

Split your road games (at worst)

Winning the Big 12

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looking forward to KC, I'm seeing a good likelihood of us in the 4/5 game against Baylor.

I'd take that.  It's really, really fucking hard to 3-0 a team in the same year without a significant talent gap.

1988.  OU kicked that Kansas ass at home and ran over them in Lawrence too.  Then KU gets to play a third time for the NCAA title...at Kemper.  Fucking Kansas.  

Sorry for the bitch fest.  Saw my hopes and dreams crumble before my eyes this year.  I should have known that was coming when I went on my rant last season back on the old site.  KSU was a good win but it sucks not to be in control this late in the season.

Want to talk about spoiled?  Since Self came to KU we have been a 4 seed twice.  His first and third year (2004 & 2006).  We have two 3 seeds in 2005 & 2009.  The other 11 completed years we have 8 one seeds and 3 two seeds.

My dad gave me some perspective yesterday talking about his time at KU (1974-1978) saying that winning 20 games didn't happen until his senior year (19-8, 13-13, 18-10, 24-5).  His formative basketball years were the Ted Owens era where they made the tournament 7 times in 19 years.  Woof.

Edited by Jhawk

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Sorry for the bitch fest.  Saw my hopes and dreams crumble before my eyes this year.  I should have known that was coming when I went on my rant last season back on the old site.  KSU was a good win but it sucks not to be in control this late in the season.

Want to talk about spoiled?  Since Self came to KU we have been a 4 seed twice.  His first and third year (2004 & 2006).  We have two 3 seeds in 2005 & 2009.  The other 11 completed years we have 8 one seeds and 3 two seeds.

My dad gave me some perspective yesterday talking about his time at KU (1974-1978) saying that winning 20 games didn't happen until his senior year (19-8, 13-13, 18-10, 24-5).  His formative basketball years were the Ted Owens era where they made the tournament 7 times in 19 years.  Woof.

Back then, KSU coached by Jack Hartman was the power in Kansas. I don't remember their records but they always seemed to have good teams. The early 70s was when Lon Kruger played at KSU.

2 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

They always seem to lose in Stillwater no matter what. It's science.

The son of Keaton Paige will come out at 3' 9" and put up 30 on 10-12 from 3.  We'll turn the ball over 45 times.  GIA will have 12 people in it at tip (not including those that have to be there) and will be absolutely the loudest arena in the country by 5 minutes left in the game.  Mark it 0 smokey.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think the best part of yesterday's game was all the KSU fans on reddit absolutely incredulous that Tech fans weren't rooting for them.

They can't do the maths?

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looking forward to KC, I'm seeing a good likelihood of us in the 4/5 game against Baylor.

I'd take that.  It's really, really fucking hard to 3-0 a team in the same year without a significant talent gap.

It just seems like a bad matchup for ISU with BU on the offensive boards and ISU being ambivalent towards physicality. BU's death match-up is the speed that UT has. It's a terrible match-up for them.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

It just seems like a bad matchup for ISU with BU on the offensive boards and ISU being ambivalent towards physicality. BU's death match-up is the speed that UT has. It's a terrible match-up for them.

So much of that can be made up with effort.  Don't get me wrong, Baylor is obviously very good at offensive rebounds, but some of those (especially in Hilton) were just clearly plays where the ISU guys quit or weren't focusing.  Credit to Baylor for the way they get after it, and make a point of emphasis on doggedly pursuing offensive boards, but that's a lot more fixable than other maladies or deficiencies, IMO.  At least on paper.  You could make the argument that if the light bulb hasn't gone off for our guys effort-wise by now, it never will.

Both of the regular season games were really close.  I just have a feeling that if we got a third crack at Baylor, we'd get them.

By the same token, if we beat Tech in Hilton, I will want absolutely no part of them in Kansas City.

The son of Keaton Paige will come out at 3' 9" and put up 30 on 10-12 from 3.  We'll turn the ball over 45 times.  GIA will have 12 people in it at tip (not including those that have to be there) and will be absolutely the loudest arena in the country by 5 minutes left in the game.  Mark it 0 smokey.

Any other year, maybe. We just don’t have the horses. Seven scholarship players and some are banged up. We might hit some threes and look respectable for a few minutes but you’ll slaughter us on wide open threes and clean drives to the basket. The zone we play to prevent fatigue is really easy to break.