2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

Jesus Christ does Daniels have a boner for pitchers that had Tommy John Surgery? Seems like tthats been the norm of the past few seasons seeing how they signed Lance Lynn. 
Reminds me of Jerry Jones and his approach. Get guys in the draft no one else wants on a blue light special and hope to get a very high ROI if they work out.

10 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

#1 prospect to called up but never used to traded away all star to make room for him only to see him injured to having him sit behind a dude with a negative WAR to being traded as soon as 3rd opens up because of a retirement.   That's just good management.

They only had control of Profar for two more years. This is not a quick rebuild but a long-term one. This was the highest value he had because he still is injury prone. 

3 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

They only had control of Profar for two more years. This is not a quick rebuild but a long-term one. This was the highest value he had because he still is injury prone. 

They offered profar an extension but he and Boras passed.  Thus the trade.

2 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

What good move has JD made since Nolan left? Lulz.

Do you remember 2015? We got Desmond on a 1 year deal when he was looking for a lot more, traded nothing valuable for Hamels and Diekman, got Sam Dyson for nothing and then beat the Astros ass in September.

Or 2016 when we had the best record in the AL? Yeah the Lucroy/Beltran deals didn’t work out but we went for it.

And now we’re rebuilding, and for the first time in ages we have good pitching depth in the minors. But yeah JD sucks! Lulz

Also Nolan Ryan did jack shit here except sit in the front row. Just like he does jack shit in Houston. God I hate our fan base sometimes.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Do you remember 2015? We got Desmond on a 1 year deal when he was looking for a lot more, traded nothing valuable for Hamels and Diekman, got Sam Dyson for nothing and then beat the Astros ass in September.

Or 2016 when we had the best record in the AL? Yeah the Lucroy/Beltran deals didn’t work out but we went for it.

And now we’re rebuilding, and for the first time in ages we have good pitching depth in the minors. But yeah JD sucks! Lulz

Also Nolan Ryan did jack shit here except sit in the front row. Just like he does jack shit in Houston. God I hate our fan base sometimes.

Hi JD!!!

26 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Good GMs go from having the best record in the AL to dog shit in less than 2 years, eh?

I’ll agree that Desmond was a good signing for one year but everything else: piss. Let me know when we have major league starting pitching and don’t hamstring ourselves with huge contracts to flash in the pan players.

2 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Good GMs go from having the best record in the AL to dog shit in less than 2 years, eh?

I’ll agree that Desmond was a good signing for one year but everything else: piss. Let me know when we have major league starting pitching and don’t hamstring ourselves with huge contracts to flash in the pan players.

We havent given out a huge contract since we signed Choo 5 years ago. And btw Choo is not some flash in the pan. He’s a solid player when healthy.

And plenty of teams go from good to bad quickly. See the Tigers and Giants. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

We havent given out a huge contract since we signed Choo 5 years ago. And btw Choo is not some flash in the pan. He’s a solid player when healthy.

Funny ..... Giants and Tigers both fired their GM’s.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I was referring to Odor as the flash in the pan. We signed him to 6 years after 1 good season. Good GMs don’t do that. 

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I wonder if this means Gallo to 3rd

The write up in the Athletic said that JD says that’s not in the cards, speculated that for now they’d go the cheap vet route.  Possible they might deal one of the left handed OF bats for a RH hitting 3B...

• Like 2

The huge trade for arms makes the Rangers prospects a bit more intriguing. Maybe a couple of those pitchers make the rotation soon.

I guess this is finally the year Profar blows up and becomes everything the scouts and the Rangers thought he would be when he was drafted.

Bryan Conger, the head baseball coach for Tarleton State in Stephenville, Texas, tweeted yesterday that he has “accepted a coaching position in the Texas Rangers organization”. There’s no official announcement, but my guess is that he will likely be working with on pitching development with the minor leaguers.

I had never heard of Conger before that tweet, but Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper has a piece on him today that explains why the Rangers would have been interested in him. Cooper discusses Conger speaking at the ABCA convention a few days ago, talking about how college coaches in smaller programs can adopt and utilize technology efficiently without big budgets, and what Conger has done at Tarleton State as far as utilizing technology to help guide their development of their pitchers.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/1/9/18175704/texas-rangers-hire-bryan-conger-tarleton-state-head-coach

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Current OD rotation:

Minor, Lynn, Smyly, Volquez, Miller

I would switch Miller fo Volquez. 

But - obviously we're trading Mike Minor though. He's the only one who hasn't had TJ surgery......Of course, he missed 2015 & 16 with shoulder injuries. So maybe it's an honorary title type thing?