Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I can't quite explain why, but strictly from a visual standpoint, I've never been a fan of the Michigan wing helmet.  Just a personal opinion. I get its prominence in the history of the game.

Same 

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

i like the wings but the helmet stickers harbaugh brought back make them look like shit.

Agreed. I think they look great and are an upgrade over the Princeton ones they're based on. The stickers are real dumb, especially when your hated rival pioneered them.

quigley_columbia.jpg

Edited by texifornia

I think it’s cute when websites try and rank the best helmets. They often fail miserably so I thought I could put an end to the speculation and go ahead and out the definitive list here so we don’t have to talk about it anymore.

The best helmets must have looks, tradition and be iconic. Added two alternate helmets for good measure.

eb58281f5d9a3e7453eab5597088abe3.jpg

7f2a63605e105ac322f8fd6b4a8292e9.jpg

f47fcac59c5355476700ef00198afdd0.jpg

0b80ec6b169933c7f02af7cd3969c889.jpg

b03c3040e06ed72ef92bebe018a29653.jpg

6f82be809c52b170690a23eadfe8668d.jpg

702cb2bcdeb39bc33ce57bde4a3d751f.jpg

be15c133049f2f271e7250c01d6f262f.jpg

35c9208be7c4400f12fba42e20b1e6c2.jpg

d5176a1e0b2764997feaefb8f873db5b.jpg

7bf8afd5cffca142868d36ddf5b2fc84.jpg

5cffdef53c51de778fe42fdbba9a8f71.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm worried it's a Nike requirement - look at some of the most iconic jerseys in cfb:

Wouldn't surprise me. If they could just reduce the size of it, maybe that would help. The Longhorn is so freaking big on the current iteration.

The 2009 aggy game "throwback"  uniforms looked pretty good actually and they had a collar shield logo.

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm worried it's a Nike requirement - look at some of the most iconic jerseys in cfb:

We lost a big chance to turn the screws on Nike when our uniform and apparel contract came up for renewal a few years ago. Under Armour was offering us something obscene, and probably would have scrubbed off the collar logo no issue had we demanded it. Instead Perrin or whoever was the AD at the time gave Nike a sweetheart deal and basically fixed nothing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We lost a big chance to turn the screws on Nike when our uniform and apparel contract came up for renewal a few years ago. Under Armour was offering us something obscene, and probably would have scrubbed off the collar logo no issue had we demanded it. Instead Perrin or whoever was the AD at the time gave Nike a sweetheart deal and basically fixed nothing.

Nike's generally better and more prestigious, but yeah we kind of hosed ourselves on the deal.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

WZSHVZKSOFE63MFBRNYFC7FEOY.jpg

LEV5BJKNTJD6DPSGUEMMMAJKFM.jpg

justin-fields-fiesta-bowl-e1581638393312

Screen-Shot-2020-05-04-at-2.53.22-PM-300

FloridaState_Seminoles_defense_2018_5.jp

The difference is none of the above have the school name in addition to the logo.

I would be okay with leaving the Longhorn logo but removing the TEXAS lettering.

• Like 3

Another difference is none of the logos match the helmet logo exactly like ours does (usually an alternate or secondary logo). Having 3 Longhorns on the uniform is too much and borderline high school. A burnt orange/white (change with home/away) state of Texas with a star on Austin would be an option. Would also have the added bonus of pissing off aggy.

But yeah short of black capes, literally anything would be better than our nascar'ed out bullshit we have worn since 2012 or whenever we changed.

Edited by stone oak

15 hours ago, Somnio said:

The difference is none of the above have the school name in addition to the logo.

I would be okay with leaving the Longhorn logo but removing the TEXAS lettering.

We've had the TEXAS atop the numbers for a long time. Before the collar logo/Nike, anyway. It's also a branding thing at this point, if we take it off another in-state team will take the opportunity to do it instead.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Somnio said:

Agreed. The logo isn’t the problem, TEXAS is, and it’s even worse now that it’s in letters you can see from space.

I can take or leave the logo, but the jerseys have always looked better without the letters. 

18 hours ago, stone oak said:

Wouldn't surprise me. If they could just reduce the size of it, maybe that would help. The Longhorn is so freaking big on the current iteration.

The 2009 aggy game "throwback"  uniforms looked pretty good actually and they had a collar shield logo.

If they really wanted to shake things up, they could go with a 1950s throwback. Back when we had striped helmets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If they really wanted to shake things up, they could go with a 1950s throwback. Back when we had striped helmets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Why not against UTEP or something like that? I don't hate messing around with historic alternates in otherwise blah games.

(Who's the other team in that pic by the way? UTEP/Texas Western? OK State?)

19 hours ago, satyanash said:

it was plonsky who did the deal, and franky it was a fireable offense to negotiate such a weak deal, but our AD hasn't exactly been staffed with great forward thinkers for quite some time now.  

Get rid of the collar patch.  Get rid of "Texas" across the front. But, if I had one wish it would reconcile the font on the jerseys with the font for the numbers on the back of the helmet. Our jersey numbers would look something similar to the Chicago Bears. I hate that block script. Particularly the over sized font on the front of the jersey.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I think I’ve posted these every time Texas uniforms pop up but outside of making the sticker on the helmet normal, this should be our uniforms 

4A46F551-43EC-41C1-AAF5-87BD83FE55BD.jpeg.bf04ff1508e1c962960059bd56c39e43.jpeg

Yep, that look is great.  Just lose the 100  football sticker on the helmet, and it's perfect.  The white away jersey in the same style would be awesome as well 

Edited by Somnio

On 5/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, Somnio said:

Yep, that look is great.  Just lose the 100  football sticker on the helmet, and it's perfect.  The white away jersey in the same style would be awesome as well 

Lose the big12 logo and the sticker ... then it’s perfect.

Edited by CosmoDog
Mistake

Consider me team TEXAS on the front. I like the throwbacks but they do look like practice jerseys to me. IMO our 2008 uni was perfection. Numbers on the side of the shoulder pad, appropriate sized font. Form fitting without doing that weird thing ours do now where the collar pops up on the sides of the neck.

Pure greatness: 035-E6790-EBA6-4093-B972-FE83-EB9471-AC.

• Like 7

On 5/6/2020 at 4:19 PM, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I think I’ve posted these every time Texas uniforms pop up but outside of making the sticker on the helmet normal, this should be our uniforms 

4A46F551-43EC-41C1-AAF5-87BD83FE55BD.jpeg.bf04ff1508e1c962960059bd56c39e43.jpeg

I'm more of a fan of the uniforms we wore in the 1980s. For my money, no Texas jerseys will ever look better than this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

I'm more of a fan of the uniforms we wore in the 1980s. For my money, no Texas jerseys will ever look better than this:

spacer.png

I agree.

Bring back the pant stripes and lose the Longhorn noggin on the collar.

On 5/6/2020 at 10:47 AM, texifornia said:

Why not against UTEP or something like that? I don't hate messing around with historic alternates in otherwise blah games.

(Who's the other team in that pic by the way? UTEP/Texas Western? OK State?)

Alabama in the top photo (1948 Sugar Bowl), and Syracuse in the bottom photo (1960 Cotton Bowl).

On 5/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, texifornia said:

Not football but:

(also those LSU uniforms are... not great. I hate that stretched serif, it's like an 80s law firm).

No one will convince me our uniforms should not be top 3, best in nation IMO.

20 hours ago, Goodman said:

No one will convince me our uniforms should not be top 3, best in nation IMO.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I've always thought that the baseball unis would be better with the all-burnt orange caps - I know the white/orange brim are traditional, but I love the orange ones.

These are damn-near perfect baseball unis IMO:

The Final Pitch: Texas 6, Oklahoma 4 – Longhorns end their 2019 ...

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 3