Spankytoes

TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

This is as close a thread I could find. I got notice form one my credit card companies that they will close my account next month because I haven't used it in two years, unless I use it before then. It is a really old card with crappy rewards and only a $4000 limit. I really don't care if they close it. I just redeemed the few reward points I still had on it to avoid losing them. Is there any reason I should not let it just close?

That's not good. Not good at all. See, that "old" card is a big boost to your history and age of accounts. It will lower your score.

If there's no annual fee, use it. If there is, call them and find out if you can do a product change to a card with no AF. Whatever it is, don't let it go and lose that history and age.

Then use it once every few months for a snickers bar, chewing gum, or an attorney (badge kisser.)

Edited by thunderlounge

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

That's not good. Not good at all. See, that "old" card is a big boost to your history and age of accounts. It will lower your score.

If there's no annual fee, use it. If there is, call them and find out if you can do a product change to a card with no AF. Whatever it is, don't let it go and lose that history and age.

Then use it once every few months for a snickers bar, chewing gum, or an attorney (badge kisser.)

Thanks. Did a little research and I'll just go swipe some gas to keep it open. I have two older cards but this one is still pretty old so I'm sure it helps with my "length of credit". My score is damn good so it probably wouldn't cause any drop but there's no reason to close it. No annual fee. I'll just use it and keep it open. I'm actually glad I got the notice because I forgot I still have some reward points I never used. I'm about to be rolling in $68. I will almost certainly spend it on a decent bottle of bourbon.

Edited by 'stache

On 2/7/2020 at 11:32 AM, Spankytoes said:

Needed a solo trip to clear my head this summer. Wife and I are heading to the Caribbean next week and she doesn’t think she’ll have time for another trip beyond extended weekends. So I got the pass.

-I have a party in Dallas to attend on 7/3 so I burned some Southwest points from LGA and used a credit for taxes. Wife is dropping me up at LGA and our kids picking me up at DAL and dropping me off at DFW the next day. 

-Flying DFW-SYD nonstop on 7/4. Arrive in Sydney on 7/6 

-5 nights at the Hilton Sydney

-Flying SYD-BKK on Thai Airways (Arrive at 4:55 PM in Bangkok the same day)

-3 nights at the Holiday Inn Sukhumvit 

-Flying BKK-HKT on Thai Vietjet Airways (Arrive at 4:00 PM)

-2 nights at the DoubleTree by Hilton Phuket Banthai Resort w/ 2 PM late check-out

-Red-eye flight from HKT-IST, so I have an extra day in Phuket. Have a 13.5 hour layover in Istanbul beginning at 4:55 AM, on purpose, to explore for the day. (Roughly 7 hours with transfers) Taking a tram to the city center and booking a Hop-on/Hop-off bus tour to hit all the main sites. Luggage will be transferred for my next flight.

-Continue on IST to JFK at 6:30 PM. Arrive around 11 PM same day. Wife picking me up from JFK

-Have the full weekend to recover before returning to the office

1 night in Dallas, 5 nights in Sydney, 3 nights in Bangkok, 2 nights in Phuket and a day in Istanbul. I’m Diamond with Hilton so breakfast is covered in Sydney and Phuket. All excursions will be booked with Citi Thank You points. I used Chase points for the Thailand airfare portions and AA miles for Qantas. With all tours, private transfers, rental cars/fuel, metro fees, tourist visa for Turkey…basically everything but food and misc. charges, the total cost of the trip will be $358.78. 

That’ll do.

Just my personal rec, but you don't need a bus. Everything is right there at the end of the peninsula. It's all walking distance. Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace it's all right there. Make sure and try their baklava, it's out of this world. I mean seriously, it will blow your mind. Get one good turkish sit down meal.  That would be a hell of a day.

Also, this place. https://deraliyerestaurant.com/deraliye-min.pdf

Edited by Thetexashammer

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Thanks. Did a little research and I'll just go swipe some gas to keep it open. I have two older cards but this one is still pretty old so I'm sure it helps with my "length of credit". My score is damn good so it probably wouldn't cause any drop but there's no reason to close it. No annual fee. I'll just use it and keep it open. I'm actually glad I got the notice because I forgot I still have some reward points I never used. I'm about to be rolling in $68. I will almost certainly spend it on a decent bottle of bourbon.

Don’t forget to pay the bill if it is not one you are used to paying every month.   Speaking from experience.

So what's my best use of pts vs cash.

I have 135000 amex Mr pts. Going to fly sat to han then Bkk to sat.

Transfer to ANA. 80k pts + $200. Slightly longer flights.

Amex travel. 99k pts. Flights on AA & Japan or Cathay. Will earn AA miles while flying.

If Amex MR are valued at 1 cent per point. Transferring to ANA and booking direct on amex travel are a wash.

AA.. $1000 cash. Same iten as above.

Transfer to Delta. 87000 pts. Longer flight times and layovers.

My current thought is to go with purchasing the flight with cash because $1000 RT is a good price and just use my points to pay for hotels or upgrade my flights through the amex portal. I'll also earn 5x pts for paying with my plat card.

One additional factor, if you have higher AA status, the option to buy through Amex Travel gives you at least some chance of scoring a free upgrade as AA sees it as a paid ticket.

One additional factor, if you have higher AA status, the option to buy through Amex Travel gives you at least some chance of scoring a free upgrade as AA sees it as a paid ticket.
No status or whatever the lowest is. Economy isn't the worst thing because I'm a manlet. I'd likely just suck it up and save my miles and cash for more trips.