Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Three years?  Yes.  I honestly do expect a coach to turn it around in three years.  And not go 5-7 with a loss to motherfucking Kansas despite inheriting a back who ran for 2,000 yards that year.  

I don't have the patience for such research, but I'm curious what coach holds the record for "Worst record in a year when he had a back run for 2,000 yards". I bet we all know the answer.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't have the patience for such research, but I'm curious what coach holds the record for "Worst record in a year when he had a back run for 2,000 yards". I bet we all know the answer.

You would be wrong, surprisingly.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Indiana 2014 (Tevin Coleman): 4-8

Tulane 2007 (Matt Forte): 4-8

Iowa State 1996 (Troy Davis): 2-9

Wow. I remember Troy Davis being good, but I'd logged that in my mind as one of those "Every five years" that Iowa State would have a good year. Nope. 

As for Indiana and Tulane, well... that's just not company that the University of Texas should ever be in.

My question is: will Mack Brown's ownership of Nebraska carry over to UNC? They never met while he was the coach at Tulane or UNC, but he was something like 7-1 or 8-1 or 9-1 while at Texas (after a while, that kind of dominance over lesser programs just sort of runs together, like trying to keep track of our record against Baylor or A&M).

It will be interesting to watch-- hopefully Mack can improve the Tar Heels enough to get them into the kind of third-tier, everyone-makes-fun-of-its-sponsor bowl game Nebraska seems ceiling'd at so they can meet in the post-season and we can see it in action. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

21 minutes ago, Chad said:

I'd rather watch Mack beat the aggy in the Music City bowl.

That would indeed be a lot of fun.

He might have slobbed Stoops' knob for over a decade, but no one can deny his absolute hatred of the ags after their embarrassing behavior surrounding the 1999 bonfire collapse game.  He was a good politician and never stated it openly, but privately he blasted the ags regularly for being poor sports and generally bad people, after enduring that charade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

He might have slobbed Stoops' knob for over a decade, but no one can deny his absolute hatred of the ags after their embarrassing behavior surrounding the 1999 bonfire collapse game.  He was a good politician and never stated it openly, but privately he blasted the ags regularly for being poor sports and generally bad people, after enduring that charade.

I wish that had borne itself out on the field in 2006 and 2007, when we looked unprepared and less motivated than inferior A&M teams that pushed us around.

• Like 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

I wish that had borne itself out on the field in 2006 and 2007, when we looked unprepared and less motivated than inferior A&M teams that pushed us around.

You saw it borne out when we buried them 6 straight years from 2000-2005.  In principle I agree but 2006 was a weird year and 2007 was an injury-riddled year.  Still no excuse to lose to bad teams like the ags, but it happens sometimes.  Lots of entitlement had begun creeping into the program which is certainly Mack's fault, but crappy performances weren't limited to the ags.

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You saw it borne out when we buried them 6 straight years from 2000-2005.  In principle I agree but 2006 was a weird year and 2007 was an injury-riddled year.  Still no excuse to lose to bad teams like the ags, but it happens sometimes.  Lots of entitlement had begun creeping into the program which is certainly Mack's fault, but crappy performances weren't limited to the ags.

I don't mean to be argumentative, and I generally agree that Mack's winning percentage against A&M was good. You can't look at them like OU or KState. But 2000-2005 includes the 2005 game, which was by far the worst game the 2005 team played all season. I hated that game. Of all the games to come out and look human, it had to be fucking A&M.

Maybe I'm not being fair and just can't be satisfied. 1999 and 2010 were painful but they're tradeoffs. We had a totally inferior team in 1998 and won. We played down to A&M and still won in plenty of years (2004 and 2009). We kicked the fucking shit out of them in 2002 and 2003. 

Anyway, I think we were talking about how Mack's new North Carolina program will do against shit-ass Nebraska if they ever play.

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In principle I agree but 2006 was a weird year and 2007 was an injury-riddled year. 

My memory may be off, but I recall Colt being less than 100% for the 2006 game after the KSU debacle, even before he got nailed on a late hit.  There was also some speculation that Gene Chizk wasn't entirely focused, having been looking around at head coaching gigs. 

I can't recall injuries factoring in the 2007 loss.  With the Larry MacDuff/Duane Akina defense, we made Stephen McGee look like Peyton Manning on the night aggy fired Dennis Francione. Pathetic.  Colt had a bit of a sophomore slump, but our defense took a huge step back from the prior year. 

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't mean to be argumentative, and I generally agree that Mack's winning percentage against A&M was good. You can't look at them like OU or KState. But 2000-2005 includes the 2005 game, which was by far the worst game the 2005 team played all season. I hated that game. Of all the games to come out and look human, it had to be fucking A&M.

Maybe I'm not being fair and just can't be satisfied. 1999 and 2010 were painful but they're tradeoffs. We had a totally inferior team in 1998 and won. We played down to A&M and still won in plenty of years (2004 and 2009). We kicked the fucking shit out of them in 2002 and 2003. 

Anyway, I think we were talking about how Mack's new North Carolina program will do against shit-ass Nebraska if they ever play.

You are being argumentative.  Not sure why.  Mack Brown really hated the ags.  That was my point.  Carry on.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

That's a strange list in that so many near the top had very short stints.  Would make more sense if it only included those with 20 or more games.

I think you have to throw the first 8 out. It would be more relevant to compare basketball and FB coaches of the last 30 years to what happened in FB over 100 years ago.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

That would indeed be a lot of fun.

My memory is fuzzy on this, and it's obviously no surprise that aggy acted like aggy, but what embarassing behavior are you referencing with the 1999 game?

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My memory may be off, but I recall Colt being less than 100% for the 2006 game after the KSU debacle, even before he got nailed on a late hit.  There was also some speculation that Gene Chizk wasn't entirely focused, having been looking around at head coaching gigs. 

I can't recall injuries factoring in the 2007 loss.  With the Larry MacDuff/Duane Akina defense, we made Stephen McGee look like Peyton Manning on the night aggy fired Dennis Francione. Pathetic.  Colt had a bit of a sophomore slump, but our defense took a huge step back from the prior year. 

Correct, Colt got that stinger against KSU and it was obvious after the first snap he was not right. I hate that game. The first and only game I've ever seen at DKR with my dad. Fuck the aggys. 

Edited by Texas007
and fuck mack brown

51 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

My memory is fuzzy on this, and it's obviously no surprise that aggy acted like aggy, but what embarassing behavior are you referencing with the 1999 game?

College Station hotel operator transferred phone calls into coaches' and players' rooms throughout the night despite being told Do Not Disturb, hotel failed to have the  contracted breakfast ready to go which resulted in our players being forced to wander around College Station trying to find fast food options on game day, and just their general disrepect that weekend when everyone associated with UT was tiptoeing around trying to be respectful of their tragic bonfire collapse.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I believe that's why the team never stayed in college station after 1999 for games.  At least, that's what I remember someone telling me.  I could be wrong though. 

You're not wrong. That's a fact. The team just took a bus to college station after that. 

Those fucking cunts bitch and moan about us watering down a field, which never happened, in 1998 but it's "good bull" and worth many chuckles when they proudly admit to fucking with us in 1999. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're not wrong. That's a fact. The team just took a bus to college station after that. 

Those fucking cunts bitch and moan about us watering down a field, which never happened, in 1998 but it's "good bull" and worth many chuckles when they proudly admit to fucking with us in 1999. 

Absolutely.  And it wasn't lost on Mack Brown.  He really hated them after that.  Regardless of whether or not you feel his Longhorn teams' 9-3 record against A&M beyond that was representative of such a hatred. 🤷‍♂️

I just never understood why he couldn't hate the meth-heads just as much.  I certainly do.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I just never understood why he couldn't hate the meth-heads just as much.  I certainly do.

I'm sure Mack hated OU, or at the very least had a strong dislike of the dick-eaters.  But OU had better coaching and talent than aggy over Mack's tenure, and Mack benefitted from some pretty meh coaching in College Station (RC, Fran, Sherm). 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm sure Mack hated OU, or at the very least had a strong dislike of the dick-eaters.  But OU had better coaching and talent than aggy over Mack's tenure, and Mack benefitted from some pretty meh coaching in College Station (RC, Fran, Sherm). 

It wasn't just his record or results against the dirt burglars, but his general subservient demeanor.  He really seemed to enjoy getting it pushed in by Stoops every year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

...our players being forced to wander around College Station trying to find fast food options on game day...

Yes, and No. Yes, the hotel did that. But that was Ol' Freak Nasty's job, to make sure the players get fed (among many other duties). 

The biggest sore point about that - to me, and I believe to quite a few others - was that agi portrayed the bonfire collapse as some sort of cosmic accident, when in fact it was abject stupidity, coupled with willful ignorance. The "wedding cake" format had been well-designed, and a construction manual had been written. It was there for the faculty advisers to use, but because the real project boss had left agi for a professorial step up at Colorado State, the new guys paid little or no attention to the construction manual, with the result that they failed to tie the layers together with much longer logs, and the resultant collapse was exactly the expected outcome of having the layers slide over each other.

Was it tragic? It was.

Was it a tragic accident? Absolutely not. Had I been a parent of one of the dead kids, I would have sued the living shit out of the school. Whether politics would have interfered with such, I don't know, but I expect it would have.

Bottom line - not a reason to let the cocksuckers win, which is just what Mack did.

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

Oh, and Fuck agi, too.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

2002 game was the most fun and glorious fuck you to aggy besides the 2011 game final play. 

18 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

2002 game was the most fun and glorious fuck you to aggy besides the 2011 game final play. 

Yeah, I'm not even sure the 1998 game in which Ricky broke the record can top the deliciousness of the 2011 parting gift to aggy.

Even more than 2002, I thoroughly enjoyed the 49-9 beatdown in 2008.  We held aggy (with Javorski Lane and Michael Goodson) to a net -24 yards rushing, and made Stephen McGee our bitch for his last collegiate game.  Colt was a cool 23/28 passing for 311 yards and 2 TDs, adding 2 TDs and 68 rushing yards on the ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Yes, and No. Yes, the hotel did that. But that was Ol' Freak Nasty's job, to make sure the players get fed (among many other duties). 

The biggest sore point about that - to me, and I believe to quite a few others - was that agi portrayed the bonfire collapse as some sort of cosmic accident, when in fact it was abject stupidity, coupled with willful ignorance. The "wedding cake" format had been well-designed, and a construction manual had been written. It was there for the faculty advisers to use, but because the real project boss had left agi for a professorial step up at Colorado State, the new guys paid little or no attention to the construction manual, with the result that they failed to tie the layers together with much longer logs, and the resultant collapse was exactly the expected outcome of having the layers slide over each other.

Was it tragic? It was.

Was it a tragic accident? Absolutely not. Had I been a parent of one of the dead kids, I would have sued the living shit out of the school. Whether politics would have interfered with such, I don't know, but I expect it would have.

Bottom line - not a reason to let the cocksuckers win, which is just what Mack did.

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

Oh, and Fuck agi, too.

Yeah, it was a "tragic accident" only in the sense that complex and dangerous construction activities undertaken without properly established rules and supervision can easily become "tragic accidents." 

Honest people prefer the term "negligence." 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I'm not even sure the 1998 game in which Ricky broke the record can top the deliciousness of the 2011 parting gift to aggy.

Even more than 2002, I thoroughly enjoyed the 49-9 beatdown in 2008.  We held aggy (with Javorski Lane and Michael Goodson) to a net -24 yards rushing, and made Stephen McGee our bitch for his last collegiate game.  Colt was a cool 23/28 passing for 311 yards and 2 TDs, adding 2 TDs and 68 rushing yards on the ground. 

I also particularly enjoyed the 2003 game, because I was at the game in College Station, in a luxury suite owned by an ag friend of my ag FIL.  I killed them with kindness as I quietly relished every single one of Cedric Benson's rushing yards (283) and every single one of Cedric Benson's TDs (4) during the Longhorns' 46-15 demolition of A&M at Pyle.  

Just now, utee94 said:

I also particularly enjoyed the 2003 game, because I was at the game in College Station, in a luxury suite owned by an ag friend of my ag FIL.  I killed them with kindness as I quietly relished every single one of Cedric Benson's rushing yards (283) and every single one of Cedric Benson's TDs (4) during the Longhorns' 46-15 demolition of A&M at Pyle.  

Watched parts of that game at The Driskill bar because some "friends"* decided to get married on that day. 

*There actually a great couple, but fuck them forever for doing that.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

College Station hotel operator transferred phone calls into coaches' and players' rooms throughout the night despite being told Do Not Disturb, hotel failed to have the  contracted breakfast ready to go which resulted in our players being forced to wander around College Station trying to find fast food options on game day, and just their general disrepect that weekend when everyone associated with UT was tiptoeing around trying to be respectful of their tragic bonfire collapse.

Wow. What a disgraceful bunch of people to even be concerned with fucking with the Texas team given the magnitude of what had just happened.

29 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Watched parts of that game at The Driskill bar because some "friends"* decided to get married on that day. 

*There actually a great couple, but fuck them forever for doing that.

Who the fuck gets married on Thanksgiving weekend...and why? 

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

I was at that game as well. I vividly remember the poor aggy and BCS chants at the end of the game. El Ced demolished them that game, I don't recall VY throwing more than 7 or 8 passes haha.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

My question is: will Mack Brown's ownership of Nebraska carry over to UNC? They never met while he was the coach at Tulane or UNC, but he was something like 7-1 or 8-1 or 9-1 while at Texas (after a while, that kind of dominance over lesser programs just sort of runs together, like trying to keep track of our record against Baylor or A&M).

It will be interesting to watch-- hopefully Mack can improve the Tar Heels enough to get them into the kind of third-tier, everyone-makes-fun-of-its-sponsor bowl game Nebraska seems ceiling'd at so they can meet in the post-season and we can see it in action. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Wasn't that the game in which McGee jumped up and got in Sergio Kindle's face after getting sacked by him, with his team trailing by multiple TDs, for no apparent reason? That was about the most aggy thing that's ever happened. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Wasn't that the game in which McGee jumped up and got in Sergio Kindle's face after getting sacked by him, with his team trailing by multiple TDs, for no apparent reason? That was about the most aggy thing that's ever happened. 

Why'd you hafta tackle me like that, man?

Bro', Coach say he don' wanna see nothin' left a you but a torn jock and a quart a snot bubbles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chad said:

I was at that game as well. I vividly remember the poor aggy and BCS chants at the end of the game. El Ced demolished them that game, I don't recall VY throwing more than 7 or 8 passes haha.

The 60 yard TD pass to David Thomas on our 2nd offensive play was a thing of beauty. 

6 hours ago, Grippe said:

Livin' in the Hyatt!

That soft, fruity, Powder Blue really fits him.

So gentle, so lacking of aggression.

On another note, being in the Hurricane Alley of the Atlantic should really do wonders for Mack's "weather the storm" mantra.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Not to mention the campus vigil and blood drive UT sponsored for the bonfire victims. That seems lost on most ags these days.

Also their no class halftime show at Pyle field in 2011 when their boy scout band still did their stupid “saw’em off” maneuver..... after the Longhorn Band paid them a moving tribute of “Thanks For The Memories “ - like a class act should.

That is why We Are Texas, and they are not. They are just.... aggy.

They don’t get it and never will.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 6

On 7/31/2019 at 9:54 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

I think Johnny Jolly's is a little better.

Image result for johnny jolly dance

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 3