FSU

Pancho

Are people this fucking stupid these days? The second you make a post like that, it is there forever. I don't care if you delete it seconds after you make it. Someone has seen it, screenshot it and your world can crumble around you. Deleting your social media accounts do nothing. Damage is done and now your name when anyone searches will forever be linked to something like this. Good job you dumb racist hillbilly. 

His Linkedin page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-shand-a3373495/

The article says he also made racially "tinged" comments about Lovie Smith when he was the Bear's coach.  He appears to just be a racist asshole and this is not just a case of him losing his mind this one time. That wouldn't be a viable excuse anyway, but the context and him doubling down makes things very clear. 

I can't image the criminal penalties would be huge for making a racially violent picture with no actions, but it would nice if something applied.   This guy is going to lose his job as soon as his office opens up tomorrow.   

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Are people this fucking stupid these days? The second you make a post like that, it is there forever. I don't care if you delete it seconds after you make it. Someone has seen it, screenshot it and your world can crumble around you. Deleting your social media accounts do nothing. Damage is done and now your name when anyone searches will forever be linked to something like this. Good job you dumb racist hillbilly. 

His Linkedin page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-shand-a3373495/

Profile not found now

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

The article says he also made racially "tinged" comments about Lovie Smith when he was the Bear's coach.  He appears to just be a racist asshole and this is not just a case of him losing his mind this one time. That wouldn't be a viable excuse anyway, but the context and him doubling down makes things very clear. 

I can't image the criminal penalties would be huge for making a racially violent picture with no actions, but it would nice if something applied.   This guy is going to lose his job as soon as his office opens up tomorrow.   

I am wondering if he was the one who made the meme himself. Looks like a very poor photoshop. Going out of your way to make a meme about something like this is way beyond saying some racist shit out of anger or being emotional. You took to the time to seek out that pic and photoshop it. You can't pass that off as a simple mistake. And he posted that shit on his own Facebook account lmao. Fucking retard.

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The internet - letting terrible people express their thoughts 

The sooner the masses figure out that social media is a cesspool and reject it, the sooner the healing can begin.  If you are active on social media, you are part of the problem.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

The sooner the masses figure out that social media is a cesspool and reject it, the sooner the healing can begin.  If you are active on social media, you are part of the problem.

You have this mistaken idea that the masses are some community of intelligent, reasonable people that somehow become idiots when they start using social media.  Social media is simply the microphone for the mass of idiots to to amply their stupidity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Social media is great. It keeps you connected with the world. Twitter and IG is great for sports. News now breaks on Twitter these days, not other media. Just because there are dumb people on there doesn't mean it sucks. Internet message boards is a more dinosaur form of social media. It was social media before social media developed. There is a lot of idiots on there, too. Does that mean they should go away? Not at all. Social media is as good as what you want it to be. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Everyone here is anonymous and this isn't social media. 🤨

That is not entirely true. If someone made that post here, Surly could do enough to find that person if they chose to and out him. If you are good enough, you can trace it back to them. Depending on how bad you want it done.

What we do here is no different than social media. It's just a different outlet and platform. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Everyone here is anonymous and this isn't social media. 🤨

so·cial me·di·a
noun

1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Sounds just a bit like what we do here, create and share content.  I'd say invites to surly happy hours are social networking opportunities.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Every single person on this planet has in their nature a want to be successful, recognized and important. It is not a flaw, but part of our DNA. The difference is that most of us understand that not everyone can be the lead singer of Zeppelin, or the Queen of England. The internet has allowed those who feel they have not achieved what they believe to be rightfully theirs. A platform that unfortunately has no filters. And allows those individuals to put this type of shit out there for all to see.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:
so·cial me·di·a
noun

1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Sounds just a bit like what we do here, create and share content.  I'd say invites to surly happy hours are social networking opportunities.

Message boards are absolutely social media. It was one of the first forms of social media on the internet. As well as chatrooms. Well before Facebook, Twitter and IG, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Every single person on this planet has in their nature a want to be successful, recognized and important. It is not a flaw, but part of our DNA. The difference is that most of us understand that not everyone can be the lead singer of Zeppelin, or the Queen of England. The internet has allowed those who feel they have not achieved what they believe to be rightfully theirs. A platform that unfortunately has no filters. And allows those individuals to put this type of shit out there for all to see.

I wanna be the Queen of England..... wait wrong web site....

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Message boards are absolutely social media. It was one of the first forms of social media on the internet. As well as chatrooms. Well before Facebook, Twitter and IG, etc. 

I think the anonymous part makes it feel different than say FB or instagram or Tweeting maybe for some folks.  I'd say I agree with your take though.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
so·cial me·di·a
noun

I mean I get it. You can be really technical about it if you want. I just think in general people aren't referring to username-based message boards as social media anymore.

It's an interesting debate, for sure. 

That said - a lot of the posters here know each other or have met in person which makes it more murky.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think the anonymous part makes it feel different than say FB or instagram or Tweeting maybe for some folks.  I'd say I agree with your take though.

You can pretty anonymous on Twitter and IG, though. You don't have to use your real name at all and can hide behind that. It's what Daniel Figurelli did for a long time when he was using that to make his racist comments. But the Shaggy sleuths outed him because he got in too deep and they connected the dots to who he really was. 

But your'e right. If what Thomas posted was done on a message board, no one would even know. Hell that was child's play compared to what is done on 4Chan. Now that is pretty anonymous. It's what they pride themselves on. Message boards are more of the wild west than the more visible social media platforms like FB, Twitter and IG. But it isn't 100% anonymous, though. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If what Thomas posted was done on a message board, no one would even know

Depends on what the admin would want to do with it. If you know someone's IP you're a stones throw from their location and name - especially if a VPN isn't involved.

Trust plays a big factor. I trust most people here but there are comments that I catch myself before I make because you never know when something could blow up in your face.

E.g. - I'm never posting pictures of coworkers or girls I've been with on here. 

Here I'll make the joke for you Surly: "that's easy since you've never been with a girl"

Haha. Oh. Ha hoh.

Edited by ztejas

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s just a racist dumbfuck in fucking florida.  it’s not that big of a deal, he’ll pay dearly for being an idiot.  but y’all keep squawking and stomping your feet like you’re taking some kind of stand against evil.  

I agree with this.  He's a dumbass and doesn't speak for their program.  We have dumbasses too and it's only a matter of time before one of them doesn't listen to their internal filter and lets some bullshit fly on social media.  

This story can be summarizes as "there's racist guy in Florida" which really isn't a story.  

40 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I agree with this.  He's a dumbass and doesn't speak for their program.  We have dumbasses too and it's only a matter of time before one of them doesn't listen to their internal filter and lets some bullshit fly on social media.  

This story can be summarizes as "there's racist guy in Florida" which really isn't a story.  

Except he could be facing charges for hate crime. Do you think that isn't a story?

"The government can also take measures when certain speech is considered to be fighting words, or words that incite violence. But this is the only kind of speech that is not protected under the First Amendment.  

For instance, if a speaker was telling a group of people to kill all members of a certain race, this could be considered hate speech and the government could step in to protect the people who were being spoken against.

But simply voicing an opinion is allowed in all states and is an important right for Americans. Lawmakers are hesitant to fight against that right for good reason. As long as no one is inciting violence, people should always be allowed to speak their mind, even when those around them may not agree with what they are saying. "

And considering he said: "I’m dead [expletive] serious. This is how far I’m willing to go to get rid of this clown!!!" He is on thin, thin fucking ice.

This is not just some asshole running his mouth. This is a court case that has an outside chance at setting Supreme Court precedent. Don't brush it off just because he's a racist dumbass.

Edited by ztejas