News stories that remind you of Surly

Longboard Horn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much lulz to this story. But it did make me think of Surly. This is why we can't have nice things.

Man fatally shot Waffle House customer who paid for others’ meals

A big-hearted man was fatally shot in the head at a Florida Waffle House over the weekend after he picked up the tabs of other customers and handed out cash, police said.

Craig Brewer, 41, was gunned down early Sunday at around 3 a.m. at a Gainesville location of the chain by another patron identified by cops as 25-year-old Ezekiel Hicks, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

Brewer’s good deeds at the Waffle House led to resentment by one woman inside the restaurant, which apparently sparked an argument between the victim and his alleged killer, The Gainesville Sun reported.

Brewer had paid the bills of other patrons and doled out $20 bills to some customers, the news site reported.

“The victim was engaging folks at the restaurant, and there was a disagreement with a female customer,” said Lt. Brett Rhodenizer, according to The Gainesville Sun.

That’s when Hicks confronted Brewer and the two got into an argument, according to cops.

Hicks then left the Waffle House and while outside, he armed himself with a 9 mm handgun, police said.

“Despite the efforts of at least one bystander, the suspect went back inside, approached the victim, and a physical fight started,” Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

As the fracas continued, Hicks allegedly pulled the handgun from his pants and shot Brewer in the head in an attack that was captured on surveillance footage, authorities said.

“What we’re trying to find out in the days ahead is if this was truly a verbal argument that turned into a murder case or if there is something missing there,” Rhodenizer said.

According to cops, deputies were already responding to requests from the business to help disperse a large crowd that had gathered moments before the shooting.

Hicks was arrested near the scene on a charge of first-degree murder.

According to The Gainesville Sun, Hicks previously faced drug charges in 2017, but avoided jail time after undergoing a pretrial diversion program.

The Waffle House where the bloodshed occurred has since reopened.

Spoiler
Spoiler

121615f.JPG

https://www.abc15.com/national/police-tennessee-woman-stole-walmart-scooter-to-drive-to-waffle-house

A woman was arrested in Crossville, Tennessee after allegedly riding an electric shopping scooter from Walmart to Waffle House.

Crossville police said 45-year-old Sally Selby was charged with theft after officers pulled her over driving in the slow lane on Main Street in the town.

She allegedly said she got the cart from Walmart and was driving it to Waffle House to get a cup of coffee.

6 hours ago, bamachine said:

If I am eating pasta at Olive Garden, I too would be doing it belligerently. 

Will admit, have done the soup, salad and breadsticks for a cheap lunch. Am not going there for good Eye-talin food though.

My kids like Olive Garden so I get it to go sometimes.  I get them each whatever pasta they want with a salad for one of them and soup for the other.  They eat their pasta and I have soup and salad.

Kids are easy to please. For a large portion of my childhood, I existed on gravy and biscuits for breakfast, banana sandwich for lunch and milk and cornbread for supper, during the summers at home. Only on Sunday(plus holidays) did we get a full home cooked meal or occasionally either Captain D's or KFC, plus grilling on the 4th. I thought all of that was fine until I was old enough to drive and went to places like Huntsville, Gadsden or Chattanooga to experience things like Chinese food, Mexican food(Tex Mex), etc. Eventually I found good Italian, Mediterranean, authentic Mexican, good BBQ, plus other foods in the hole in the wall type places.

Florida man strips naked and poops in Naples family's yard

Collier County deputies said Michael Burke was attempting to break into multiple homes in the 3100 hundred block of Barrett Avenue when a neighbor spotted him and called deputies.

Ring surveillance video captured Burke ripping through the screen door of a home. The people inside that home told Burke they were armed and deputies were on their way.

Neighbors said Burke was scared off by dogs, but not scared enough to stop him from going into their backyard and relieving himself.

Naked and unafraid! Three nude women caught 'air drying' at a Florida rest-stop end up tasered after leading police on a 'series of high-speed chases that nearly saw one officer run over and left several others injured'

12146656-6911745-image-a-13_155499035833

12146654-6911745-image-m-11_15549903441812146658-6911745-image-a-12_155499035079

Three naked women who told police they were ‘air drying’ at a Florida rest-stop suddenly took off in their vehicle on Wednesday and led officers on a high-speed chase before being tasered and arrested.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers were summoned to the northbound I-75 rest-stop in Pasco County following reports of three naked woman applying suntan lotion in the parking lot.

Later identified as Oasis Mcleod, 18, Jeniyah Mcleod and Cecilia Young, both 19, the women reportedly told attending officers they were nude because they had just showered and were ‘air drying’ in the sunshine.

But as one trooper tried to gain more information, the trio scarpered into a white Nissan Sentra and drove off at speed with Mcleod allegedly at the wheel. 

The police officer gave chase, but called off the pursuit as the nature of the incident didn’t fit the Highway Patrol criteria.

However another trooper was deployed when a driver called authorities to report a ‘reckless vehicle’, described as the car driven by Mcleod.

The vehicle was later found empty outside of a convenience store on State Road 52, where police waited for the alleged assailants to come out of the shop.

As the officer attempted to arrest one of the women, another reportedly jumped back into the car and drove the Nissan directly at him, forcing the trooper to leap out of the way.

Another woman then exited the car from the passenger seat brandishing a metal baseball bat and tried to strike the officer several times, a police report details.

Witnessing the exchange, another trooper rammed the suspects’ car with his marked patrol vehicle, but the women drove away once again.

Dade City Police Department joined to assist the Highway Patrol, where they eventually brought the suspects’ car to a stop after deploying stingers on the roadway, and ramming the car.

Officers were forced to break the windows of the Nissan with batons after the three women refused to get out of the vehicle and started ‘actively resisting arrest’.

A report of the incident alleges that the woman were sat in the car with their arms interlocked. Police say they were forced to taser all three of the suspects before taking them into custody.

Both the Mcleods and Young have been charged with fleeing to elude, resisting arrest, aggravated assault and lewd acts.

Several troopers are said to have sustained minor injuries as a result of Wednesday’s ordeal.

It’s not yet clear when the three suspects will appear in court.

A man who was arrested in Texas for having a license plate flipper was already prohibited from driving on a toll road because he owed $5,473.07 in tolls, police said in a Friday social media post.

Preston Cody Talbot, 27, was arrested Thursday for possession of the device, said Mark Herman, constable of Harris County, Texas, Precinct 4. Herman's Facebook post showed that when activated, the gadget blacked out the car's rear license plate.

"He would activate this device, putting a flipper down in front of his license plate, so the cameras at toll plazas couldn’t read his plate,” Houston TV station KHOU quotes Herman.

Talbot's mother told the station that the incident was a "stupid mistake." While devices that flip license plates can be bought online, they're illegal to own in Texas, the station reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Springtown Mr. Jim's shut down after employees reportedly put laxative on pizza

9D0641502E88407E9C0C4F68CF8171CE.jpg?Exp

Mr. Jim’s Pizza in Springtown was shut down Friday night after the Springtown Police Department received a report of food tampering at 8 p.m. 

“A citizen advised that an employee of Mr. Jim’s Pizza posted on social media that they were putting Miralax on pizzas,” according to a report from Springtown Police Chief Anthony Motley. “It was discovered that three employees at Mr. Jim’s put Miralax on at least one pizza and it was unknowingly eaten by another employee who was now sick. Medical help was brought to the scene for the sick person. The employees were questioned and they denied placing any Miralax on any other pizzas that were purchased by the public.”

According to the RxLIST website, MiraLAX is used as a laxative to treat occasional constipation or irregular bowel movements, and is available over-the-counter. Common side effects can include nausea, abdominal cramping, bloating, upset stomach, gas, dizziness or increased sweating. The usual dosage of MiraLAX is 17 grams or about one heaping tablespoon per day. 

“The owner was contacted and responded to the scene. The City of Springtown Health Inspector was contacted,” according to the report.

The health permit for the business was pulled and the business was shut down until it could be re-inspected, according to the Springtown Police Department.

The incident is still under investigation by the Springtown Police Department at this time. 

A 66-year-old licensed Bay Area lawyer was arrested Sunday after he allegedly taped a camera to his shoe and then “moved his shoe so that the camera was under a female juvenile’s dress” at an Apple Store in Walnut Creek, Calif., police said.

Jacques Bloxham, who is a personal injury attorney, was reportedly confronted by the girl’s father and fled the store. Officers said they found various cameras and recording devices in the suspect’s car in addition to the one attached to his shoe.

Bloxham was arrested around 3 p.m. and booked into Contra Costa County Jail on suspicion of using a camera to secretly record the undergarments of another person, along with annoying or molesting a child under 18, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. He later posted bail.

Police are investigating whether Bloxham recorded others and urge anyone with information to call the Walnut Creek Police Department.

Bloxham was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1986. He founded the Injury Law Center “in response to the public’s need for a personal injury attorney with honesty, integrity and a new understanding of the needs of injured clients,” according to his Yelp business profile.

Indian army's claim to have found footprints of yeti prompts ridicule

The Indian army has claimed to have found the footprints of a yeti, prompting ridicule on social media.

On Monday, the army tweeted to nearly 6 million followers that it had found “mysterious footprints of [the] mythical beast”. The post added that the prints, measuring 81 x 38 cm (32 x 15 inches), were discovered close to Makalu base camp in the Himalayas.

In Nepalese folklore, the yeti or abominable snowman is a tall ape-like creature said to live in the Himalayas, Siberia, central and eastern Asia. Given the lack of evidence for existence, scientists have regarded it as legend.

The army claimed “this elusive snowman” had “only been sighted at Makalu-Barun National Park in the past”, and posted pictures of the footprints on its Twitter account.

Though the supposed discovery was made on 9 April, according to the Times of India, the army said it held on to the “photographic evidence” about the yeti before they decided it matched earlier theories. They added that the “evidence” had been “photographed and handed over to subject matter experts” for scientific evaluation.

Among the Twitter users who reacted with jokes and bewilderment at the army’s announcement was author Siddharth Singh. He posted pictures of people walking, alongside the caption: “Can there possibly be a simpler explanation?”

Another questioned whether the markings were left by one of the giants featured on Game of Thrones. Other users were less amused by the post, including one who deemed it “ridiculous”.

Previous scientific studies have concluded the origins of yeti stories, which have been told for centuries, are based on real animals.

The results of a DNA analysis of supposed yeti samples – including hair, fur and faeces – published in 2017, showed the samples were from Himalayan and Tibetan subspecies of brown bear and an Asian black bear.

In 2011, a “yeti finger” found in Nepal in the 1950s was revealed by a genetic expert to have been human bone.

"Rage Yoga" Involves Swearing and Booze Breaks

rage-yoga-1552332897506.jpg

Yoga is supposed to be a relaxing, meditative exercise that gets you ready for the rest of the day. But now, you might be able to achieve the same result by doing the opposite. Rage Yoga aims to calm you down and get you fitter by swearing, shouting, and enjoying a beer. 

Lindsay Istace, the founder of Rage Yoga, explains on her website that her method is "a practice involving stretching, positional exercises and bad humor, with the goal of attaining good health and to become zen AF. More than just a practice, Rage Yoga is an attitude." 

Lindsay explains that she "felt really out of place" in a regular yoga class. She adds that it "made me feel like I was standing in a library full of gymnasts." So, she decided to create Rage Yoga. Lindsay says rage yoga has helped her a lot...

"My practice gave me a strong body-mind connection and a new appreciation for my body. I learned how to slow my mind, feel good in my body and built some decent pipes while I was at it. It helped me overcome addiction and weather a lot of personal obstacles. It kept me healthy and sane!"

Ashley Duzich, a Rage Yoga instructor at Brash Brewery in Houston, Texas, told CBS DFW that "some people need to release and let go." 

She also stresses that getting angry is an effective way to get in touch with oneself. “Yoga itself actually means union… so union with yourself,” Ashley said. “And that’s not always just super-calm, breathing, practicing quiet time, like a lot of yoga places are.”

“We are all angry about something and we all have been holding onto an ‘F’-bomb for a little bit too long. So that’s what this does – is – it allows you to have a safe space to let go of your and frustration and rage in a healthy way… and then also wash it all away with some ice cold beer.”

“One of the funniest things I think I ever heard was, ‘I told you to do the dishes,'” Ashley added.  

There are three official Rage Yoga locations — Calgary, Edmonton, and Houston — and hopefully, they're able to add more locations soon for the rest of us. 

According to the Rage Yoga website, aspiring instructors can take a three-day course in the Rage Yoga method to take this irreverent practice back to their hometown. However, they must have already completed a minimum of 200 hours of yoga instructor certification and provide proof before taking the workshop.

iStock-1130659926-1551273734215-15512737

Edited by Walden Ponderer

Latest Beauty Trend Has People Getting Nostril Extensions

5403a6f95cce3eb927ed8b07526d4312.png

Standards of beauty of vary throughout the world. For example, for years people have been aware of the undesirable sight of nose hairs peeking out from ones nostrils. But now, that may have changed with a new emerging beauty trend.

There are now extensions being created to give the illusion that one’s nose has hair peeking out. One Instagrammer, who goes by the name @gret_chen_chen, uses false eyelashes to create her look, and she’s not the only one to be onto the trend. Plenty of others have also taken in the bizarre beauty trend.

In the past, while there has been a fair share of weird beauty trends, like ants in fingernails and bow brows, but the nose hair extensions may just be the tip of the iceberg in terms of an oddity.

It looks almost like spider legs if I’m honest, but I guess some people like that look.

If you’re curious to see more, you can use the #nosehairextensions tag on Instagram, where you’ll find plenty of delightful pictures of women proudly showing off nose hair extensions.

Although, this isn’t the first time things have been getting stuck up people’s noses. Not too long ago, there was a man who went to his doctor complaining of a blocked nose only to find there was a tooth up there. 

The 59-year-old man from Denmark had been dealing with congestion, discharge, and a lack of smell for several years, when he finally decided to visit a doctor.

After running an X-ray and conducting an examination, his very surprised doctor broke the news to his patient that he, in fact, had a tooth up his nose.

According to the British Medical Journal, when the man was younger, he had experienced a facial trauma, which resulted in a fractured jaw and nose. Medical experts believe that the ensuing damage may have been the cause of the tooth in his nasal cavity.

In the BMJ Case Reports, Dr. Milos Fuglsang wrote, “Our patient most likely had the intranasal retained tooth most of his life, but had late onset of symptoms.”

I wish I had long nose hair.  So i could pluck it with a pair if pliers.

That goes into a whole side conversation for pluckers. I’m a trimmer with an occasional tune-up pluck.

I much prefer group plucks to individual hairs. I recently found out my bro-in-law prefers single hair plucking, and as a result may be a masochist. Why extend the sneezing and pain by plucking your nostril hair by hair?