2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Next step:  check local TV for warnings and shit in the corner.  I used to love Channel 8 (Spectrum) for weather during an event, best by far.  But I lost it when I chucked Time Warner/Sphinctrum/Charter/Whateverthefuck.

I also really miss the local 24/7 radar on that thar TV.  Blows not to have it, plus can potentially cost lives.  But whatever, I need 4 Home Shopping channels instead.

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm seeing blue in the middle of the purple formations on the radar. 

I've never seen blue on the radar before.

Is that bad?

Proally hail.  It reflects more signal than heavy rain.  Not wonderful, let's put it that way.  So far, no warnings though, and that would bring Severe T'Storm Warning if hail is larger than pea size.

Edited by phdhorn

59 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Next step:  check local TV for warnings and shit in the corner.  I used to love Channel 8 (Spectrum) for weather during an event, best by far.  But I lost it when I chucked Time Warner/Sphinctrum/Charter/Whateverthefuck.

I also really miss the local 24/7 radar on that thar TV.  Blows not to have it, plus can potentially cost lives.  But whatever, I need 4 Home Shopping channels instead.

A looooong time ago, we had some major weather event happening and News 8 was live-monitoring it, and in the middle of Burton talking, the station cut away for something non-weather-related. When they came back, he was livid - started addressing the camera and said something like "I canNOT believe this station cut away from this extreme weather event coverage to show [whatever]..." Burton is [was? is he still there?] always so chipper but he totally lost his shit. It was great.

Edited by austingirl

57 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Have you checked OTA subchannels? 25-3 shows to be 24 hour weather.

• Like 1

Sat through three separate severe t-storm warnings in Dallas, two of which didn't even bring rain, on Saturday.  I only follow NWS website and Rainy Days doppler radar to avoid "clickbait" coverage by local media.

It will be interesting to see what these baseball-size hail predictions bring.

8 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

i've never seen a spring storm system overhyped as much as this one 

Can't say I disagree.  My kids were freaking out in Dallas about "baseball-sized hail" and it seems everyone's thinking this is some outlier.  I don't quite get the hype.

Now watch as half the city is hailed on.  Now I've done it.

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Can't say I disagree.  My kids were freaking out in Dallas about "baseball-sized hail" and it seems everyone's thinking this is some outlier.  I don't quite get the hype.

Now watch as half the city is hailed on.  Now I've done it.

I get that it's a possiblity here, as always in the spring, but they're actually stating it like it's a citywide certainty.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I get that it's a possiblity here, as always in the spring, but they're actually stating it like it's a citywide certainty.

Actually the weather guys have been somewhat muted.  It's the news leads and all that.. .HOW TO PREPARE FOR 46 FT. HIGH WATER, 1,583 mph WINDS and HAIL THE SIZE OF SMALL ASTEROIDS.  I mean, really?

Only severe warnings I've seen so far is from that earlier Brady storm dropping golf balls.  But the line coming at us is pretty potent, lots of rain and lightning, probably winds nearing 50mph gusts.  It could of course change and/or ramp up, but so far I see just a good gut punch of a storm but nothing over the top.

For now, anyway.

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Actually the weather guys have been somewhat muted.  It's the news leads and all that.. .HOW TO PREPARE FOR 46 FT. HIGH WATER, 1,583 mph WINDS and HAIL THE SIZE OF SMALL ASTEROIDS.  I mean, really?

Only severe warnings I've seen so far is from that earlier Brady storm dropping golf balls.  But the line coming at us is pretty potent, lots of rain and lightning, probably winds nearing 50mph gusts.  It could of course change and/or ramp up, but so far I see just a good gut punch of a storm but nothing over the top.

For now, anyway.

Yeah, its the dismal tide, journalistically.   However, this is pretty unusual in the NWS outlook:

Areas north and west of the Metroplex will likely see thunderstorms
develop during the evening hours and spread in and around the
Metroplex counties to the Red River. Very large hail (baseball size
or larger
) will be possible with the strongest storms. In addition,
damaging winds and an isolated tornado can`t be ruled out.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah but up there that ain't unusual.  North of DFW is a different animal.

It's uncanny how systems seem to dissolve as they move eastward off the plains and into Dallas and to a lesser extent Fort Worth.  Does it have something to do with all the concrete or other accoutrement of civilization?  Heat retention or something?

And of course those that skirt north and stay on the plains get strong and bring hell with them.

I actually think it has more to do with the air masses... there is kind of a change (interface) between Austin and Waco, and another one north of Dallas - each of these zones is slightly more "continental" and less "coastal", and the continental type climate = more tornadic and hail type storms (as it is Dallas usually gets hail a lot more than Austin).  This is why 100 miles to the north, Southern Oklahoma gets tornadoed like shit but DFW generally doesn't.  Complex stuff which I don't understand entirely.

Except that Southern Oklahoma sucks.  Like Northern Oklahoma.

• Like 1

Just covered my car with old blankets and pillows I had in storage that I never use. I'm sure the neighbors will be laughing in the morning, but I can't get it into the garage in a reasonable time as the old POS I intend to fix up (and can't start) to give to the daughter is occupying one bay(?) while the other is basically my storage unit for a ton of shit that it'd take a full weekend to remove.

Yeah, I know, this is on me.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's uncanny how systems seem to dissolve as they move eastward off the plains and into Dallas and to a lesser extent Fort Worth.  Does it have something to do with all the concrete or other accoutrement of civilization?  Heat retention or something?

And of course those that skirt north and stay on the plains get strong and bring hell with them.

Same could be said about Cedar Park, Leander, and Liberty Hill. The really rough stuff always seems to hit in western Wilco, including the birth of the Jarrell tornado.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Same could be said about Cedar Park, Leander, and Liberty Hill. The really rough stuff always seems to hit in western Wilco, including the birth of the Jarrell tornado.

In the Austin area, I believe it's mostly related to the escarpment ending right around I35.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Just covered my car with old blankets and pillows I had in storage that I never use. I'm sure the neighbors will be laughing in the morning, but I can't get it into the garage in a reasonable time as the old POS I intend to fix up (and can't start) to give to the daughter is occupying one bay(?) while the other is basically my storage unit for a ton of shit that it'd take a full weekend to remove.

I'm under the tree in our driveway so I'm betting on hail over strong winds.  Prob will get screwed and have a branch through my windshield in the morning though.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Jarrell Tornado birthed in Hewitt/Lorena and went SXSW.  Weirdest shit on record 

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

no garages near you. we use to move the cars to the hyde park baptist church parking lot. 

You commented earlier that the long line of storms don’t usually produce the large hail...that it is more the smaller pockets that pop up. Why is that?

i live nort of mckinney almost to 380 and we got hammered a few weeks back...it was just a single, small, maybe 5-10 mile circle that moved over. 

3 years in a row up here we’ve had bad hail...and I think this will be the second roof. It’s fucking crazy!

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I'm under the tree in our driveway so I'm betting on hail over strong winds.  Prob will get screwed and have a branch through my windshield in the morning though.

During the Wimberly storms, my neighbor lost a tree and a branch went through my front windshield, and I lost a covered back porch (and electricity for a week) when one of my backyard trees came tumbling down during the same.

Moral of the story? Don't trust trees. They'll let you down.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Jarrell Tornado birthed in Hewitt/Lorena and went SXSW.  Weirdest shit on record 

Oh.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

no garages near you. we use to move the cars to the hyde park baptist church parking lot. 

I live in 1970s Southwest Austin suburbia. The closest covered spot I can think of would be the Cirlce K a half-mile down the road. Closest garage would be the apartments next to In-n-Out on South Lamar 3 1/2 miles north of here.

Just now, bolverk said:

I live in 1970s Southwest Austin suburbia. The closest covered spot I can think of would be the Cirlce K a half-mile down the road. Closest garage would be the apartments next to In-n-Out on South Lamar 3 1/2 miles north of here.

I'd hit the garages if it was me.  I am leaving the truck out, but the wive's car has been deployed to a garage down the road since my garages are full of crap. 

7 minutes ago, George said:

You commented earlier that the long line of storms don’t usually produce the large hail...that it is more the smaller pockets that pop up. Why is that?

i live nort of mckinney almost to 380 and we got hammered a few weeks back...it was just a single, small, maybe 5-10 mile circle that moved over. 

3 years in a row up here we’ve had bad hail...and I think this will be the second roof. It’s fucking crazy!

25 words or less... bigger hail forms with higher speed updrafts... rotating storms for a buncha reasons can funnel more warm air more quickly than line storms and produce larger hail.  Why that is is partly unknown.  But an isolated storm can draw more warm air up faster into the cloud than lined storms.  So smaller hail.  However even in line storms sometimes a portion picks up more turbulence and can drop decent hail.  This is also why hail cores are really not linear but sort of globular - points of hail instead of sweeping 100 mile long curtains of it.  Fortunately.