2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It's starting to back build right now, so that seems like what we're gonna see.  That storm that blew stephenville up earlier has joined and backbuilt with the portion that was running southwest of it earlier.  That portion is now moving ESE and almost SE, so it's strengthening quite a bit right now.  We gon get lit up in Hewitt/Waco/McGregor/China Spring areas right around 4:30.  

Looks like it's speeding up some. Should see it shoving up Chapel Rd's ass in the 15 or so.

39 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I guess my supreme scientific training for this situation (i.e. before the storms get here) is: look at the sky -  if it get dark and rain starts to fall, it'll rain.  If not, it won't.

you expect me to remember that?

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You ain't no Frankie....

30a25387eb84ac715a99e4938ac5511f.jpg

You ain't no Frankie at all.

Eventis sultorum magister.

Another possible sequorum:

Perhaps you'd like me to come in and wash your dick for you now?  

aaa9199a31d41cae5716f8d4d00d8d0c.jpg

Edited by phdhorn

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Looks like it's speeding up some. Should see it shoving up Chapel Rd's ass in the 15 or so.

My God.  Took me almost 20 minutes to go a little over a mile it was raining so hard.   I’m talking about 4-5 inches in 30 minutes, maybe less.   

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I have to travel from Lacy-Lakeview to Hewitt at 5:00 traffic with the new 2 lane I-35. Let's see how she handles the storm. I'm not optimistic.

This is one of the most wicked rain/lightning ensembles we’ve seen in this are in a while.    I’d get off 35 if I were you.   But you can only drive 1 lane on a lot of the main roads right now because it’s raining so hard that the roads are totally flooded.   Happened quick.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

My God.  Took me almost 20 minutes to go a little over a mile it was raining so hard.   I’m talking about 4-5 inches in 30 minutes, maybe less.   

I'm near VM and Wooded Acres, people are listening to the radio/tv and losing their shit.

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

This is one of the most wicked rain/lightning ensembles we’ve seen in this are in a while.    I’d get off 35 if I were you.   But you can only drive 1 lane on a lot of the main roads right now because it’s raining so hard that the roads are totally flooded.   Happened quick.  

Yeah we're not seeing that at all up here at TSTC yet. I may milk this a bit leave late. I have dinner reservations downtown at 6:30 so we'll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I'm near VM and Wooded Acres, people are listening to the radio/tv and losing their shit.

My power is out.   I left the office at 4:00.  Wasn’t raining.  Put gas in my truck and got 2 tallboys.  I got home 5 minutes ago and it’s a shit show out.  Was going 15 down Imperial/Chapel and was ahead of everyone by a ways.   Lightning striking everywhere 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

My power is out.   I left the office at 4:00.  Wasn’t raining.  Put gas in my truck and got 2 tallboys.  I got home 5 minutes ago and it’s a shit show out.  Was going 15 down Imperial/Chapel and was ahead of everyone by a ways.   Lightning striking everywhere 

Now I feel like a bit of an asshole. Girlfriend works at Hewitt/84 and called wanting to see if we could postpone dinner and I told her to man up (in so many words).

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Now I feel like a bit of an asshole. Girlfriend works at Hewitt/84 and called wanting to see if we could postpone dinner and I told her to man up (in so many words).

Yeah I work at 84/6.  I’m 3 miles from my house. Took almost 30 minutes to go 3 miles due to it seriously raining that hard.   Been a while 

45 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I have to travel from Lacy-Lakeview to Hewitt at 5:00 traffic with the new 2 lane I-35. Let's see how she handles the storm. I'm not optimistic.

RIP

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Few years back, I think it was May then too, me and Schlong met up for a coffee at the Starfucker here at Bosque and Wooded Acres. He left headed back to Beaumont and ran into the nastiest shit we'd had in a while. Hwy 6 was shut down at one point, lol.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

It has gotten awfully quiet. Either I'm dead or the storm is.

The bad part lasted about 25 minutes.  Still getting some lightning and slow steady rain.    But damn.  Gonna need my power to not stay off all evening 

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Not unexpected, some light/moderate showers filling in just in front of the line of showers, could pick up before this thing gets here.  Sorry,  it's unpossible to say whether you guys get rained out.  I guess my supreme scientific training for this situation (i.e. before the storms get here) is: look at the sky -  if it get dark and rain starts to fall, it'll rain.  If not, it won't.

DfaXOMDX4AAEwRd.jpg

• Like 2

Seems unusual:

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR DALLAS COUNTY UNTIL 615 PM CDT... At 522 PM CDT, strong winds associated with dissipating thunderstorms well to the south of the DFW Metroplex were occurring in Tarrant county. These winds will spread into Dallas county through 615 pm. Southeast winds of 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph will be possible.

Update:
The cap (i.e. layer of warm air aloft that keeps vertical convection down) holding our storms/rain back has finally started to erode.  This has kept storms from forming in South Central Texas.  A line of strong storms has formed from about Sonora northwest to just south of Mineral Wells, moving SE.  A huge chunk of Texas west of us is under a severe TS watch... the watch doesn't extend (yet) into Travis (Blano is the easternmost right now) but I expect it to be extended to us.

Depending on how much cloud cover (i.e. lack of daytime heating) is under this complex will tell how long it lasts, and how severe it will be.  Severe TS watch is in effect for Hill Country but not Travis/Willie/Hays, etc.  However I expect the watch to be extended east later.

We have a small disturbance I wrote about moving NE, hitting a weak cold front that's exactly where the line has formed (NE from Sonora up through just south of Mineral Wells).  This line is moving and has some severe pockets.

Yeah, yeah, whatever... but what about us?  

Well, I do expect this line to hold together and get to us between 5-7 p.m.  It could slow up but my ETA is about 7-8 for Austin Metro.  Best I can do right now looking at the radar.  Some formation could happen in front of this line, getting here earlier, but I don't see anything right now.

So forecast is:  today storms arriving before sunset, some could be strong (hail, winds, maybe a small tornado spins up here/there).  Line will take about 2 hours to pass and clear. Tonight storms taper off, but a good chance of milder but prolonged light/moderate rain through sunrise.  Friday like today - not much rain all day, then round 2 happens.  Friday evening/night Act II as another Niño-caused disturbance comes in, boils up under daytime heat, and moves over us again.  Peak about the same time if not later Friday night (later evening).  

Another round coming in looks like after the weekend.  We're definitely in one of the strongest El Niño influenced springs in at least 30 years.  Next 2-3 weeks will have this strong Pacific Southern Jet streaming moisture into Texas, meaning fewer all-sunny days, good chance for these little lows to keep training over us, and... rain.  May could be a double-digit month.  Forecast looks like this though at least mid-May, and our rainiest time of the entire year is always the last half of May anyway, so we'll see.

More later, because this is kind of an active period calling for it.

I think I am in love with El Niño.

It’s been pouring here in The Woodlands for at least an hour. It dumped this morning too. There was suppose to be only a 30% chance of rain today. I don’t think the weather models had a very good grasp on this system.

It’s been pouring here in The Woodlands for at least an hour. It dumped this morning too. There was suppose to be only a 30% chance of rain today. I don’t think the weather models had a very good grasp on this system.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

No.  Bank building 

Buddy Bosticks house.

Local weather guy gave this precise prediction: "The slow-moving trough and surface front responsible for the continued risk of rain and storms this past week will finally get a forward push of speed Friday. We'll finally start to dry out, but not before another round of numerous showers and storms during the day. Afternoon activity Friday will have some locally heavy rain, which could lead to flooding, but we may also see a few isolated strong storms too. Widely scattered rain and storms should continue from the afternoon into the evening before finally starting to end before sunrise Saturday."

Edited by El Diablo

10 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Buddy Bosticks house.

Local weather guy gave this precise prediction: "The slow-moving trough and surface front responsible for the continued risk of rain and storms this past week will finally get a forward push of speed Friday. We'll finally start to dry out, but not before another round of numerous showers and storms during the day. Afternoon activity Friday will have some locally heavy rain, which could lead to flooding, but we may also see a few isolated strong storms too. Widely scattered rain and storms should continue from the afternoon into the evening before finally starting to end before sunrise Saturday."

So we're gonna start to dry out, but then Mother Nature's gonna put the KY on us before it finally finishes before sunup.  

It's rockin and rollin down here this morning with the severe weather which was a very slight possibility according to the storm prediction center as of last night.  I think that is three weeks in a row the same situation of a slight chance has turned into the real deal.   I don't mind as long as it doesn't hail (although I could use a new roof)  because the rains are a pretty quick and what is need to maintain the grass and for the farmers, their crops.   Last three storms we've had 1 to 2 quick inches and it's gone.  

2 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Looks like some shit going down between Giddings and La Grange along 77.  Wind, rain, rotation, dogs and cats living together.  290 between Giddings and Carmine about to get the brunt.  

yeah you can see the rotation pretty clearly on the radar - looks nasty af