2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Tropical Storm Hermine caused $20K of damage in my NW Hills (Austin) house in 2010.  I recall upwards of 15" in north Travis County.  As phdhorn says, that's not where the "official" rainfall is measured, but I'd be shocked if Camp Mabry didn't get 10" over that 24 hour period or whatever it was.

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I think I had about 5 inches of rain or so at my house from 2 PM to around 10 PM last night in Pearland.  On the way to the gym this morning, saw that our detention pond was about half full.  Hard to believe that some of these places in the Houston area that didn't flood in Harvey flooded yesterday.

Talked to someone down near Sugar Land and he told me yesterday was worse than Harvey for them.

What an uncomfortable day... watching these rain piling up, getting to drive through some and knowing more is on the way.  Didn't help to listen to a chorus of thunder almost non-stop from about 4 PM to midnight.

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Been pretty mild here in south Cedar Park. Some heavy downpours & electric show, but not much in the way of winds. Feels like it's dwindling already.

looks like the line of storms thinned out some.

I thought I could run across the street for a sammich and make it back before it hit.

I was off by about 90 seconds.  That was enough to get me thoroughly soaked, even with an umbrella (horizontal rain FTW).  Oh well, I keep an extra shirt in the office for a reason.

No hail near 360/2222.  Serious Old Testament rain, though.  My two dogs (who hate each other and who are both females) paired up and were looking for an ark.  Kinky.

Something bad must have happened somewhere along 360 because I've heard nonstop sirens for at least 10 minutes.  Lightning strike?  Car accident?  Don't know.

Edited by jimmyjazz

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I thought I could run across the street for a sammich and make it back before it hit.

I was off by about 90 seconds.  That was enough to get me thoroughly soaked, even with an umbrella (horizontal rain FTW).  Oh well, I keep an extra shirt in the office for a reason.

You need to get RadarScope. You can time the rain down to the minute. 

4 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I hope Uncle Jim never retires but if he does, I hope David Yoemans sticks around to be his long-term successor.  

I actually like both the young pups, this other guy Sean, too.  But one or both of 'em will be gone if ol' Jimmy don't hang it up soon.
Never thought I'd see the day when I stopped watching KVUE and watch KXAN for the weather... but I have for the past 8 months.  KVUE is just too shitty now.

45 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Been pretty mild here in south Cedar Park. Some heavy downpours & electric show, but not much in the way of winds. Feels like it's dwindling already.

Rained like crazy in my part of the CP, right by Twin Creeks/CPHS.   And now I have to go into the office in RR, so it looks like I'll be chasing this storm.  Sure hope I don't catch it...

The "wet weather" creek that runs across my lot . . . that tree in the middle is ~ 2' diameter . . . my ass always puckers when the rainbombs hit:

(I have no idea why it's so blotchy, but I see pixels, so I suspect I photoshopped it)

IMG-6205.jpg