2019 Rain Thread

Biff Tannen

Supposed to start a softball playoff game in Dripping Springs at 6:30 tonight.  Needless to say it was cancelled. Followed school bus going 35 mph to Smithville where we finally got in front of it. Got home to Columbus a few minutes ago and preparing now for round two with it. 

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

What app/weather station is that?

Ambient Weather WS-2902a and the Ambient Weather App. It’s also great, cause it has a URL you can bookmark so you can see it on all your devices without an app, nor sharing it with friends/family.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 1

Last night, the Walking Dead film crew was busting their asses to get everything wrapped up at the location by us on Shoal Creek.  They had a shitload of large teleloaders with massive lighting rigs way the hell up in the air.   They finished filming sometime after midnight, and then all of the sudden, it was like kicking over an anthill - everybody was scrambling to get all of the lighting rigs lowered, and they barely beat that huge cell that moved through after 1am.

Another graphic that I like... the "strip" of heavy rain smack dab over Austin and points due W and E.  The orange-red = > 2", the darker red > 3", pink > 4", purple > 5".
5%204%20%20OBSERVED%20PRECIP_15569698880

I had just over 4" in my pot in The Cave (pretty much smack dab under the "A" in "Austin").  Most of the area got 2/3 at least of the monthly May rain totals.  And May is our rainiest month measured by amount.

That strip happens to be where a weak frontal boundary stalled... unpossible to predict that, but it provided the fuel for continued turbulence (and ramping up rain) for everything that moved over that spot, until it started moving again about 9 p.m.

2 days of great weather, then next week pretty much every day has a chance of significant rain.  We are in a pattern, kids...

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Star Ranch Nudist Camp?

My dads balls were deemed too prodigious and therefore an insurance liability so they wouldn’t let them in. They’ve got their own acreage in which to be naked and free. The American dream!

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Another graphic that I like... the "strip" of heavy rain smack dab over Austin and points due W and E.  The orange-red = > 2", the darker red > 3", pink > 4", purple > 5".
5%204%20%20OBSERVED%20PRECIP_15569698880

I had just over 4" in my pot in The Cave (pretty much smack dab under the "A" in "Austin").  Most of the area got 2/3 at least of the monthly May rain totals.  And May is our rainiest month measured by amount.

That strip happens to be where a weak frontal boundary stalled... unpossible to predict that, but it provided the fuel for continued turbulence (and ramping up rain) for everything that moved over that spot, until it started moving again about 9 p.m.

2 days of great weather, then next week pretty much every day has a chance of significant rain.  We are in a pattern, kids...

That storm shredded the FF.  Very nice.

We got about 2.5" at my house in the CP.

And today's weather is freaking glorious.

I lived above Barton Creek years now.    Saw the '15, '02 and '01 floods.    Last night's rain was heavy but didn't seem that bad, least not compared to those rain events. No way did I think last night would be the 2nd biggest crest of all time at 19.18 ft.     Damn.

abtt2_hg.png

Historic Crests
(1) 26.00 ft on 05/25/1929
(2) 19.10 ft on 10/30/2015 (P)
(3) 17.87 ft on 07/03/2002
(4) 15.50 ft on 11/16/2001
(5) 15.03 ft on 05/25/1981

12 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

I think it was in the middle of the night during that ‘15 flood that my nephew and another fireman were on the end of their firetruck’s fully extended ladder hanging over a drain by the Barton Springs pool with grappling hooks trying to fish out the drowned lady tuber’s body caught in the grate. Very gruesome and strenuous task that took some doing.

Edited by Armybrat
Don’t know why that unrelated quote box showed up
  • Like 1

Mini-Update:
Rain picks up every day a little more this work week.  Nothing today probably.  Gonna be at least the next 6 days, most days here/there, a few days could be a repeat of last week.

Moar tonight/tomorrow when new shit comes to light.

We’re supposed to be in Garner State Park this weekend for our annual camping trip, and we might have to cancel for the first time ever. Heavy rain in the forecast all week through the weekend. We’ve had overnight rains before where our tent held up fine, but aren’t enthused about spending a week in mud and rain.

Got shit to do but for now here's another mini-update:
1)  2 disturbances have gone by (one right now) to our south... most of the rain is south-east of us, not expected.
2)  models are still looking at 5-10 inches (totals get > as you go W→E across the ATX area), but over 6 days
3) still, the ground is soaked, won't take much to flood
4) peak rain events right now are Wed. afternoon, and Thurs. overnight into Fri.  3"+ possible here/there during these events.
5) We've already passed May's monthly totals - and May is the rainiest month in Austin.
6) Detailed outline coming later today.  For now, Wed. afternoon and late Thurs→Fri are most likely (for now) severe/flood periods (low severe, though).

The longer it holds off, the better.  I don't know how much the ground can actually dry out, but I'll take everything I can, especially since I live at the base of a giant fucking hill with a wet weather creek running through my back yard.  (In big rain bombs it becomes literal white-water rapids, but so far it's never gotten close to the top of our foundation.  Now I've done it.)

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The longer it holds off, the better.  I don't know how much the ground can actually dry out, but I'll take everything I can, especially since I live at the base of a giant fucking hill with a wet weather creek running through my back yard.  (In big rain bombs it becomes literal white-water rapids, but so far it's never gotten close to the top of our foundation.  Now I've done it.)

You may put a restoration company on speed dial

13 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Sounds like I'm in Iraq on the night of Shock and Awe

If you're still out in Lubbock, stay safe, man. It looks rough out there.

In South Austin:

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you

Edited by bolverk