Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Whittington is being recruited as the slot for this class

Both of them can play either or because both have the athleticism to do so. Think of them as Lil'Jordan Humphrey's. Not with the size, but the versatility. You can put the at X, Y, or Z and they have the skill set + some to be good in each of them.

• Like 2

The month of February in 2018 may be a month 

remembers for a very long time. His recruitment really took off last month and a school that offered him in that month could be the one he moves to after his high school career ends.

It is like he went from 0 to 60. The 6-foot-2, 215 pound athlete out of Baton Rouge (La.) University literally went from about 10 offers to close to two dozen in about 10 days.

Arizona State, Clemson, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas and some others offered over the last two weeks in February. Tongue has gotten out to visit Mississippi State, Texas and Texas A&M recently and one of those schools has taken over the lead.

"I am liking Texas a lot," said Tongue. "When I was there last month for a visit, they really stood out. The coaches, the city of Austin and all of it stood out.

"It is a great program, they have had a lot of players come out of there and there is a lot to like."

hkvf9izhxwykmidpcu4lJason Washington is Tongue's lead recruiter for the Longhorns and they spent time together during the visit. Head coach Tom Herman is involved as well.

Tongue has connected with those guys.

"I really like the entire Texas staff. I have talked to coach Washington a lot, but I have talked with other coaches too. They have told me that I can play where I am most comfortable and that they have a spot for me.

"They like me and I like them. I like how the coaches have talked to me and I will probably take one of my official visits to Texas."

The first visit to Austin really changed things for Tongue. It quickly pushed Texas to the top of his list. That shows you what a good visit can do in this race.

Others will have their chance.

"Every visit is big for me," said Tongue. "Everything has happened so fast and things have changed quickly with the new offers.

"I am working on getting to Clemson, Michigan, Florida, Missouri, Utah and some other schools this spring or maybe over the summer. I have not had the chance to visit a lot of places, so when I get the chance to, the visits will be very important."

Tongue and his father have discussed the commitment, but a timeline has not been finalized yet. That is still to be determined. 

What is known is what the four-star athlete will use to determine his decision.

"A big thing for me is how I relate to the coaches and that we understand each other. I will also look at the place, the city, the people and the chance to get on the field early when making my decision."

He visited Alabama over the weekend and the Crimson Tide offered Sunday evening, so the Crimson Tide have jumped in the race since this interview was conducted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

247 update from the Demariyon Houston weekend visit.

Hide contents

Texas hosted a handful of recruits this weekend, including Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston.

The four-star prospect took in the Longhorns’ spring practice and enjoyed his time on campus.

“It was a great visit,” Houston said. “My favorite parts were seeing the practice and just getting the experience of being a player at Texas.”

Houston added that he is building a strong relationship with the Texas staff, including wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, who he watched closely at practice.

“My relationship with the Texas staff and Coach Mehringer is great,” Houston said. “They make me feel like I’m at home.”

While Texas landed Jordan Whittington a couple of weeks ago, the Longhorns are still looking for another slot receiver addition this cycle, and Houston seems like an ideal fit. The Longhorns really sold him on need and early playing time throughout the weekend.

One of the fastest rising prospects in the nation, Houston holds offers from Florida, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas, which put an offer on the table last month, and others.

So where exactly do the Longhorns stand after the visit?

“I’m very interested,” Houston said. “The thing that stands out about Texas is the fact the coaches care about you being a husband or a father more than a football player.”

Houston will look to make another visit to Texas down the line.

At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Houston is ranked as the No. 27 wide receiver in the country and No. 3 overall prospect in the state of Oklahoma, per 247Sports Composite.

Houston is a stud and is underranked by the services. If he's the 4th or 5th WR in this class, we are walking in some high cotton. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Houston is a stud and is underranked by the services. If he's the 4th or 5th WR in this class, we are walking in some high cotton. 

Stud maybe, but I find this quote from a high school kid kinda odd..I mean that was the last thing I was thinking about at 17-18 years old..

I’m very interested,” Houston said. “The thing that stands out about Texas is the fact the coaches care about you being a husband or a father more than a football player.”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

@tokamak hasn't made his way to the recruiting board yet, but here's the link to the UOV/OV spreadsheet he was compiling previously:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i5Kk5NNdAVIc_sGJSDovph0VSmwrJuCcFufuvCDnJ5g/edit#gid=0

I'm here (this notification business is weird lol), it's just that the board drama is coinciding with a busy few days in my life. Should have time to update the spreadsheet tomorrow hopefully. It's public though so if someone else wants to add stuff, have at it. Thanks for bringing it over here.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm here (this notification business is weird lol), it's just that the board drama is coinciding with a busy few days in my life. Should have time to update the spreadsheet tomorrow hopefully. It's public though so if someone else wants to add stuff, have at it. Thanks for bringing it over here.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

We had a flurry of commits between the end of March and the start of June last cycle, if my memory serves me.  It'll be interesting seeing how Herman spaces out/pushes for commitments.

They want a few more before the Spring Game, I know that. It wouldn't shock to see 2-3 come in over the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

We had a flurry of commits between the end of March and the start of June last cycle, if my memory serves me.  It'll be interesting seeing how Herman spaces out/pushes for commitments.

April 7- Byron Hobbs

April 13- Casey Thompson

April 22- Cameron Rising

April 23- Reese Moore

April 26- Ron Tatum (We all know how that turned out)

May 4- Cameron Dicker

May 7- Caden Sterns

May 30- Keaontay Ingram

May 31- DeMarvion Overshown

June 4- Ayodele Adeoye

June 5- BJ Foster

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

April 7- Byron Hobbs

April 13- Casey Thompson

April 22- Cameron Rising

April 23- Reese Moore

April 26- Ron Tatum (We all know how that turned out)

May 4- Cameron Dicker

May 7- Caden Sterns

May 30- Keaontay Ingram

May 31- DeMarvion Overshown

June 4- Ayodele Adeoye

June 5- BJ Foster

Last cycle was great from start to finish, but that ~2 week period from when Rising flipped to when Sterns flipped was something else.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:03 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Fuck meat-chicken. 

And anyone tells Juicy about this place gets a perma-ban. 

Will the “ignore” I had on him and a certain especially incoherent chap carry over from the other site? That would save me a few clicks. 

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In case anybody didn't know who this guy is, he's the JUCO DE we've offered.  Glad to see the staff on him early and making him a priority.  We'll need a step-in and play guy in the DL next year with Omenihu, Hager, Nelson, and Chisolm all graduating.  I think he's an EE.

• Like 1

Bevo Nuggets: Visitor scoop; latest on Louisiana targets

By EJ Holland

It wasn’t the biggest week for recruiting visitors from a rankings standpoint, but the Longhorns still hosted several key prospects on campus. Perhaps the most intriguing takeaway from this weekend is that the tight end position is still a little bit of a mystery. Texas would like to take a couple at the position this cycle, but it’s clear the Longhorns are still feeling things out. Three tight ends made their way to Austin for spring practice — Brock’s Baylor Cupp, Temple’s Jared Wiley and Chandler’s (AZ) Brayden Liebrock. The most important target out the bunch might be Cupp and he’s certainly the most complete tight of the trio. While he is a small school prospect, Cupp isn’t all that raw and excels as both a blocker and a pass catcher.

Most have Cupp pegged to Texas A&M, but he doesn’t speak to the media, so much of that is speculation. From talking to sources, Texas made a big impact on Cupp during his latest visit and is firmly in the mix for his services. The recruiting process is still fairly new to Cupp, and I’m also told he’s still taking it all in, so a decision isn’t expected to come soon. And that means Texas has plenty of time to keep putting in work here. This was Cupp’s second time on campus of the offseason as he also visited for junior day.

Liebrock is perhaps the best receiving tight end on the board, and the Longhorns definitely made an impact on his visit. The fast-rising recruit said he was intrigued by the offensive system as well as the education offered. But there is still plenty of work to do in this recruitment. Pac-12 schools like Arizona State and California are high on his mind, and Ohio State and Notre Dame are considered early frontrunners.

Wiley is somewhat of a strange case. Texas offered after junior day, and he only holds one other P5 scholarship (Missouri). You would think he would jump at the offer from the Longhorns and make a quick decision. However, I am told that Wiley is still patiently waiting for an offer from TCU and doesn’t want to make a decision before the end of spring. Texas has the inside track as of right now, but it will be interesting to see what happens if the Horned Frogs do jump in the mix.

Texas also played host to newly offered California outside linebacker Spencer Lytle. UT defensive coordinator Todd Orlando did an excellent job of putting an offer on the table at the right time and getting him on campus — Lytle was previously scheduled to only visit Texas A&M. The Longhorns are legitimate players for Lytle following the visit. He was really impressed with Orlando’s coaching as well as the education at Texas and the city of Austin. Don’t be surprised if he makes a return trip down the line. Remember, Lytle is a teammate of five-star cornerback and Texas target Chris Steele, so recruiting Lytle hard could help with the recruitment of Steele, who is still expected to make it to campus at some point this spring.

Two other out-of-star visitors also made their way to campus in Oklahoma running back Marcus Major and Oklahoma wide receiver Demariyon Houston. I’m told both prospects really enjoyed their time at Texas. The Longhorns really sold Major on an opportunity for early playing time, depth chart and Stan Drayton’s resume. Meanwhile, they pushed a big need at slot receiver to Houston and a chance to get on the field right away. According to a source, Major and Houston want to play together at the next level and are far from locks to Oklahoma, which has yet to offer Houston. If Texas keeps working hard on both, the Longhorns will be right around the top of the list for both.

By Mike Roach

The Longhorns have been incredibly active recruiting the state of Louisiana this cycle. While pulling those athletes away from LSU and the SEC can be a challenge, Tom Herman’s staff has shown they aren’t afraid to go toe-to-toe with anyone. I spoke with a key Louisiana source this weekend to get the scoop on a number of targets.

RB Tyrion Davis, Southern Lab

Davis is already committed to LSU, and his high school is basically on LSU’s campus. Our source indicated that this would be a very tough task for Texas, and he didn’t have a lot of faith in anyone pulling him away from LSU.

WR Devonta Lee, Amite

Lee will most likely take his visits, but the word is that the Longhorns are on the outside looking in. Alabama and LSU seem to be the leaders at this point, and both schools have been on Lee for some time now. If the Longhorns can get him on campus they will have their shot, but they are going to have to overcome a lot of strong relationships with other schools.

WR Trey Palmer, Kentwood

Palmer is reportedly planning to visit Austin in the spring, but they will have some work to do once they get him on campus. LSU is thought to be the favorite here, and the Tigers have the home state advantage.

OG Kardell Thomas, Southern Lab

Thomas has always had a fascination with Texas, and he’s visited on several occasions. A different source indicated that Thomas might not be as solid to LSU as he is portraying, and if that’s the case, you have to like the Longhorns’ chances of getting in the mix. Our source indicated that they expected LSU to sign him, but Texas would be in a prime position if something went awry.

CB Derek Stingley, Dunham School

Stingley included Texas in a recent cut, and he’s been to Austin on multiple occasions. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Longhorns receive an official visit, but our source indicated the Longhorns are running third, at best. Stingley publicly named LSU his leader on several occasions, and he’s also got a lot of interest in Florida.

CB Chester Kimbrough, New Orleans Warren Easton

This was one prospect our source was bullish on with the caveat that Texas needed to get him on campus. I was told that it wouldn’t be a shocker for Texas to get an official visit, and that Kimbrough is pretty wide open at this point in time. Kansas and Florida are the schools standing out to him at this time.

ATH Christian Harris, University Lab

Alabama and LSU are the leaders here, and my source did not seem confident that any other schools would be able to get into the picture.

ATH Makiya Tongue, University Lab

This will come down to the pitch schools are giving to Tongue. Many schools view him as a safety or linebacker, but Tongue also has the ability to play receiver. He visited Austin earlier in the spring, and he came away impressed. The Longhorns have a shot to get an official visit, and if they do, they have a good shot to win him over, according to my source.

By EJ Holland

Christian White aka Coach Flight works with some of the best running backs and defensive backs across the country. Horns247 caught up with Flight to get his quick thoughts on some of the Texas targets he’s trained over the last few days.

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.)

“I see him being one of the best all around running backs in the country. He has a great combination of power and speed. People kind of underestimate how fast of a runner he is in the open field. He’s very elusive and knows how to run, which there is a technique to as far as finding the running lanes and running into space not people.”

S Darius Snow, Hebron (2020)

“Snow is very quick on his feet. So many people are quick to throw out that he’s going to grow into this or grow into that. But I see him being one of the most physical safeties in the game. He’s a really evenly distributed kid. He’s really light on his feet. He’s really aggressive with his hands and also has good ball skills for his size.”

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville (2020)

“Man, Chris Thompson has the tools to go down as one of the best players to ever come out of that South Dallas area. He’s a legitimate 6-foot-2 kid. He has great vision and is really physical. He’ll see things before they happen. If you watch his film, you’ll see he reads run/pass very well. He’s going to put on a good showing this offseason and show people he can cover man-on-man.”

S Jonathan McGill, Coppell

“McGill is probably one of the most versatile defensive backs in the country. I feel like he can line up at any position in the secondary and help a team get better. He has great vision at safety. He has great technique to play corner. People want to see him run faster, but with a little bit of time, he’ll grow into that frame and show guys he’s a little bit quicker than people think."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

This thread is 29 hours old and already has 11698 views.

I am amazed at both the power of the shag and the jonesing that goes on for recruiting info

You guys kick ass

Jonesing?  It’s like a crack high mixed in with some Molly and chased with a little heroin...

Powers on NaNa

The recruiting picture is starting to come together for four-star NaNa Osafo-Mensah, a 6-foot-4, 227-pound outside linebacker / defensive end from Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic.

"I have two official visits already planned," Oasfao-Mensah said. "I will be going to Notre Dame that April 14th weekend and then I will be going to UT on that May 5th weekend."

Oasfao-Mensah made an unofficial visit to Notre Dame for it's Junior Day event back in February and that really cemented the Fighting Irish on his list.

"I just love Notre Dame because of the culture and the tradition that they have up there," Osafo-Mensah said. "It is really cool to me and even my family really loved Notre Dame and everything like that. I just like what my family believes and what school they want me to go to is really important too."

What keeps the Longhorns towards the top of Osafo-Mensah's list?

"I really like UT because of the business program that they have down there and they will really provide a really good academic basis for me," Osafo-Mensah explained. "I really have a strong relationship with some of the players down there and even like Jordan Whittington, we have been talking about it and the UT movement and all of that good stuff."

Osafo-Mensah confirmed that he is still set to announce his final decision on May 19 at the Nolan Catholic spring football game.

There is a chance that he could work in other official visits before that date, but nothing is concrete.

"I will see if I can make one up to Michigan," Osafo-Mensah said.

Osafo-Mensah is rated as the No. 112 prospect nationally per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 6 WDE prospect overall and the No. 16 prospect in the state of Texas' 2019 recruiting class.

Osafo-Mensah plans to make an unofficial visit to Texas on March 31.

• Like 1