Jump to content
spystud13

2019 MLB thread

Recommended Posts

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cooder said:

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

It's all over baseball. It is baseball. It's the culture of the sport at its core.

Edited by David Dennison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's all over baseball. It is baseball. It's the culture of the sport at its core.

Setting up cameras to steal signs is baseballs culture? That’s a new one for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yes I know sign stealing is rampant in MLB. But not to the extent Houston went to. That is Busch league and straight up cheating.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cooder said:

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

I am not okay with it, but I also have no idea how to effectively manage and punish it without context of what else was going on in the league.  The article mentions that this is a widespread issue, and it was brought in by a player who used similar techniques with another team.  Hell. there's a VERY good chance that the two unnamed "uniformed Astros" are managing the Red Sox and Mets in 2020.  

It's dumb and shitty and if the Astros are the fall guys then they deserve it for their brazenness and stupidity.  But I just have no context as to how widespread shit like this is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  Hell. there's a VERY good chance that the two unnamed "uniformed Astros" are managing the Red Sox and Mets in 2020.  


This was my first thought as well.

And I agree that MLB needs to clean that up. Teams are taking it too far with Apple watches and cameras.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this Astros investigation is going to be as thorough as the one they conducted that originally concluded that Apstein was fabricating a story about Taubman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cooder said:

This was my first thought as well.

And I agree that MLB needs to clean that up. Teams are taking it too far with Apple watches and cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to clean it up is to take away championships or ban people from the sport.

That's not going to happen, so it's never going to get cleaned up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The only way to clean it up is to take away championships or ban people from the sport.

That's not going to happen, so it's never going to get cleaned up.

No middle ground, huh? Either full expulsion, removal of titles or nothing at all? Hot take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Henry Hill said:

No middle ground, huh? Either full expulsion, removal of titles or nothing at all? Hot take.

You really think taking away a couple of draft picks or a fine for a billionaire is going to stop it?

OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I wonder if this Astros investigation is going to be as thorough as the one they conducted that originally concluded that Apstein was fabricating a story about Taubman. 

Fuckers.  We would have won if they weren't pulling this shit.  I'm certain of it.

Edited by Sbbruin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Astros won 2 games on the road though.

 

Got this from a reddit thread, so haven't verified:

 

Kershaw pitching in LA during the 2017 World Series: 11 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 15 strikeouts and 5 hits

Kershaw pitching in Houston during the 2017 World Series: 4.2 innings pitched. 6 earned runs, 2 strikeouts and 4 hits

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

 

Got this from a reddit thread, so haven't verified:

 

Kershaw pitching in LA during the 2017 World Series: 11 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 15 strikeouts and 5 hits

Kershaw pitching in Houston during the 2017 World Series: 4.2 innings pitched. 6 earned runs, 2 strikeouts and 4 hits

 

LOL at using a single game as a data point for this.

Clayton Kershaw's last 3 road playoff starts:

2017 WS @ HOU: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 2 K, 3 BB

2018 NLCS @ MIL: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 K, 2 BB

2018 WS @ BOS: 4 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 5 K, 3 BB

Maybe homeboy just prefers to pitch at home.

 

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should either make it legal or provide teams with the technology to allow them to securely transmit the signs between pitcher/catcher.  You can't have rules on the books that you can't meaningfully enforce as it just creates this gray area where many if not most teams violate the rule with only one or two being punished for it.

Edited by Fozzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LOL at using a single game as a data point for this.

Clayton Kershaw's last 3 road playoff starts:

2017 WS @ HOU: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 2 K, 3 BB

2018 NLCS @ MIL: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 K, 2 BB

2018 WS @ BOS: 4 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 5 K, 3 BB

Maybe homeboy just prefers to pitch at home.

 

Milwaukee and Boston are known sign stealers, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LOL at using a single game as a data point for this.

Clayton Kershaw's last 3 road playoff starts:

2017 WS @ HOU: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 2 K, 3 BB

2018 NLCS @ MIL: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 K, 2 BB

2018 WS @ BOS: 4 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 5 K, 3 BB

Maybe homeboy just prefers to pitch at home.

 

 

 

OK, what was the Astros playoff record in 2017, broken down by Home versus Away?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

 

 

OK, what was the Astros playoff record in 2017, broken down by Home versus Away?  

8-1 at home vs. 3-6 away, which was very strange because the Astros were much better on the road during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You really think taking away a couple of draft picks or a fine for a billionaire is going to stop it?

OK.

Removing said TVs and other electronics from and around the dugouts and removing all non-broadcast feeds into dugouts would just be too hard and teams would just find another way to do it so might as well not even try. Introducing player and coach suspensions in line with current PED protocol, levying forfeitures of games and top round picks would be IMPOSSIBLE so let’s take those options off the table. Expulsion (of whom?) and removal of championships (which aren’t guaranteed to occur and would only punish a single team if they cheated) are the ONLY options.

Again, really weird take to say it (broadcasting a direct zoomed in feed of the catcher into the dugout to monitor signs and have staff assigned to watch said feed tip pitches and signs to players by banging trash cans, among other noise-making methods) is part of baseball’s culture and other team may be doing it so what’s the big deal and leave it be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Removing said TVs and other electronics from and around the dugouts and removing all non-broadcast feeds into dugouts would just be too hard and teams would just find another way to do it so might as well not even try. Introducing player and coach suspensions in line with current PED protocol, levying forfeitures of games and top round picks would be IMPOSSIBLE so let’s take those options off the table. Expulsion (of whom?) and removal of championships (which aren’t guaranteed to occur and would only punish a single team if they cheated) are the ONLY options.

Again, really weird take to say it (broadcasting a direct zoomed in feed of the catcher into the dugout to monitor signs and have staff assigned to watch said feed tip pitches and signs to players by banging trash cans, among other noise-making methods) is part of baseball’s culture and other team may be doing it so what’s the big deal and leave it be.

That brings up a very good point.

What is the big deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because the stats home/away don’t show some huge advantage doesn’t mean anything. Cheating is cheating. Wether you’re bad at it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Scummiest organization in baseball and it’s not even close. 

I love tasting Yankee tears. So salty.  Astros are their kryptonite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

 

Got this from a reddit thread, so haven't verified:

 

Kershaw pitching in LA during the 2017 World Series: 11 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 15 strikeouts and 5 hits

Kershaw pitching in Houston during the 2017 World Series: 4.2 innings pitched. 6 earned runs, 2 strikeouts and 4 hits

 

I'm convinced.  How else could Kershaw have a bad postseason outing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That brings up a very good point.

What is the big deal?

This is the perfect response when you know you’re full of shit and have nothing else to offer except feigned disinterest. Bravo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

This is the perfect response when you know you’re full of shit and have nothing else to offer except feigned disinterest. Bravo.

Yours is the perfect response when you know you don't have a good answer.

Bravo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@HannahRKeyser:

"The Astros declined to comment at this time."

because that worked so well last time


Boom, head shot.

It actually doesn’t even make sense, considering it was their hastily-issued, dickish comment that got them in trouble last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cooder said:

So far it seems as if there is only one person in there ok with it.

I have no idea what the punishment should or will be but there is no place for that shit in baseball.

It should probably be in line with the punishment the Red Sox got for the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Altuve knew it was going to be a slider 100%.

 

Well yeah, he couldn't get a fastball over the plate to save his life that inning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kapler gets the Giants’ job. Good luck with that roster. 
Yeah that's an interesting one.


And if the rangers were stealing signs using cameras.... Man we really sucked at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It actually doesn’t even make sense, considering it was their hastily-issued, dickish comment that got them in trouble last time.


... thus, declining to comment this time around.



Hats off to Evan Dreillich for writing this story. He’s been one helluva writer over the past several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Scummiest organization in baseball and it’s not even close. 

A guy who can't keep his own word for even one week shouldn't be calling anyone scummy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

A guy who can't keep his own word for even one week shouldn't be calling anyone scummy.

Ok, well I’m doing it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Kapler gets the Giants’ job. Good luck with that roster. 

I'm highly concerned about the direction of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does their stadium still have the bullpens down the foul line? That's perfect for Kapler, the relievers can get a couple extra warmup pitches when he tries to bring them in with no warning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...