Dabo and Clemson

LTtxfan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Any white person not lining up to kiss Kapernick's ring[less]?

Brave take bruh. 

No, it's having a general awareness of what's going on around you and not trying to make light of an important movement that affects millions of people in this country. 

Not to mention it's coming from a guy whose 6 mil a year depends on mostly black players playing essentially for free. 

• Like 2

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/07/dabo-swinney-trevor-lawrence-football-matters-t-shirt/

A rough last few days for Dabo Swinney and the Clemson football program continues.

As college coaches across the country were speaking out in the wake of George Floyd‘s murder, Swinney, one of the most powerful head coaches in the nation, was criticized for staying silent as long as he did.  Tuesday, longtime Tigers assistant coach Danny Pearman apologized for repeating “a racial slur I overheard when trying to stop the word from being used on the practice field” three years ago. Ex-Clemson offensive tackle Shaquille Anthony subsequently stated that he was disappointed Swinney didn’t address the controversy involving his assistant.

Overnight, another former Clemson football player, running back Haamid Williams, alleged that Swinney used the N-word in chastising his players’ choice of music.

Williams went on to state that he “kind of feel bad for talking about Dabo, but I was told by multiple people he talked [sh t] about me in a team meeting the year after I was no longer on the team.” Williams came to Clemson as a walk-on in 2012 played in two games the following season.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 6/8/2020 at 5:15 AM, mulletpelini said:

Sounds like we'll be hearing an "I was not aware" apology here shortly.

No but I did get sent to timeout for "shit posting". I look forward to reading thoughts from all 20 ppl left on this site after the new world order is done with it. Somewhere, tied in someones emotions and feelings there seems to be a standard for quality that I've yet to notice. 

Not sure if this should be posted on the "unpopular opinions" thread or here...

I like Dabo and feel like he's kind of getting slammed unfairly on this.  The asst coach correcting a player by saying "we don't say n-word" is stupid but certainly not a scenario of a coach calling a player that or otherwise using it in conversation.  The scenario of Dabo touring a prospective coach around the facility and being embarrassed by the language in the music and calling the team out on it is understandable and seems to be a story that was surfaced by a disgruntled person.

The T-shirt is poor timing, but it's not like he had it made.  It was gimme shirt from the National Football Foundation initiative that has been around for a couple of years, not that dissimilar to the SECSECSEC "It just means more" campaign.  I'd imagine he's worn that shirt 30 times over the last couple of years and hasn't given ulterior meanings a second thought, but the timing is rough and it ought to be taken out of the rotation. The article below discusses the National Football Foundation's intent to re-name the initiative as a result of recent events.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/08/football-matters-national-football-foundation-renamed/

His players, (past and present) outside of some disgruntled ones, are defending him.  He's a bit of a bumpkin but I'd take him on our sideline in a heartbeat. Having said that,  I will grant that Herman's handling of these last couple of weeks have probably been his finest hours as UT's coach.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Does their HC's wife still bake cookies and invite players over for that special juice box? 

Will Muschamp is married to Sally Brown?  Huh, that's gotta be tense after Sally and Carol got into it during the end of Will's tenure here. 

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

No but I did get sent to timeout for "shit posting". I look forward to reading thoughts from all 20 ppl left on this site after the new world order is done with it. Somewhere, tied in someones emotions and feelings there seems to be a standard for quality that I've yet to notice. 

pretty presumptuous to assume I was talking about you.

narrator:  He wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Of 28 positive coronavirus tests conducted on Clemson student-athletes and staff since their return to campus two weeks ago, 23 belong to football players, a source said Friday.

The school announced its total number of 315 tests and 28 positives in a statement Friday following a second round of tests but did not break the number down by sport. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29336227/21-clemson-football-players-positive-covid-19-latest-testing

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"Little Riley" gonna bail Dabo out...

What DJ Uiagalelei blaming 'very basic' Clemson football offense for his struggles says about ex-Tigers QB    Scott Keepfer, Greenville News Apr 26, 2023 

0ac3c28a3efe1d9d070ccb0e985f9eeb

WOW...

DJ Uiagalelei, who has busied himself of late by attempting to enhance his chances of winning the starting quarterback job at Oregon State, has opened up a sizeable can of criticism for Clemson football.

I didn’t want to do what I was doing at Clemson,” the former Tigers quarterback told The Athletic. “I didn’t really like what we did there scheme-wise. I didn’t think we did very much. I thought it was very basic.

“It didn’t help me out as a quarterback and play to my strengths. I wanted to go somewhere that would play to my strengths and go somewhere that would develop me for the NFL. Play-action, work under center, throw the ball deep.”

Funny thing, but Clemson’s “basic” offense seemed to be plenty potent with Tajh Boyd or Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence at the helm.

Comparatively, Uiagalelei spent two rather nondescript seasons as Clemson’s starting quarterback. He eventually entered the transfer portal on Dec. 5, two days after coach Dabo Swinney replaced him with freshman Cade Klubnik early in the ACC Championship Game victory against North Carolina and nine days after Uiagalalei's career-worst 8-for-29 passing performance in a one-point home loss to South Carolina.

On Christmas Eve, Uiagalelei announced his transfer to Oregon State and had remained relatively mum on his time at Clemson until recently.

“Sophomore year, I was hurt, tore my PCL, had a broken finger,” Uiagalelei said. “But I wanted to stay there and stick it out. But my junior year, towards the end, I knew, ‘I want to get out of here. Yeah, I need to leave and get a fresh start.' "

Uiagalelei wondered why he was pulled from the Tigers’ loss at Notre Dame last season in favor of Klubnik, who was intercepted on his first pass attempt, and questioned the play calling of Swinney and then-offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter, referring to it as “scared, timid.”

“Not opening it up 100 percent because they don’t trust the quarterback,” he said. “I felt that definitely at times.”

Problem was, Uiagalelei repeatedly failed to gain trust and instill confidence, which didn’t help his cause.

Was Clemson’s offense unimaginative at times? No question.

Were deep strikes in the passing game a missing element? Sure.

But from this vantage point it appeared that it was largely Uiagalelei who handcuffed the Clemson offense more oft than not with a steady diet of errant passes, be they overthrows or underthrows.

The former five-star high school standout who had 127 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions at California’s St. John Bosco High had 31 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions in two seasons as Clemson’s starter.

Uiagalelei certainly is entitled to weigh in on his experiences at Clemson, but I’m not convinced that offering such public critique of a head coach and an offensive coordinator who staunchly defended him at every opportunity for two seasons was warranted.

Uiagalelei also said he “got tired” of running the ball so much. He averaged 3.8 yards on 11 carries per game last season and his comment stands in stark contrast to what he told us in an interview last October.

“I love running the ball,” Uiagalelei said. “I’ve always liked it. I wish I ran more in high school, but I’ve always enjoyed it. For me, it’s fun.”

Apparently running got considerably less fun over the season’s final six games.

It will be interesting to see how often Oregon State asks him to throw the deep routes and how little he's asked to run the ball.

Edited by LTtxfan

Going back to his debut as QB1 at Clemson, what I saw was not a guy that gave me any "wow" feelings. Rather, I had a pretty strong lean towards "oops, Clemson has a problem". That hasn't gone away since then. Don't really care, on accounta I don't much care for or about Dabo and Clemson. YMMV, but no fucks are given.

Edited by Tex Long

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Dabo melts and blows up on a fan for a 5 minute diatribe on his radio show...

Here is a better version that has the question that got him all pissed in it...

I'd be a man of faith too if it brought me 5 star players out the ass to a random fuck school like Clemson

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

LOL, fans of other teams (including Texas) saying Dabo sucks: 

• 2011 10-4
  • 2012 11-2
  • 2013 11-2
  • 2014 10-3
  • 2015 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2016 14-1 Won NC
  • 2017 12-2
  • 2018 15-0 Won NC
  • 2019 14-1 Lost NC
  • 2020 10-2
  • 2021 10-3
  • 2022 11-3

Good chance they don’t even make a bowl this year. Have you watched them? They are terrible. 

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Good chance they don’t even make a bowl this year. Have you watched them? They are terrible. 

Yes, I've seen some of all of their games which have been painful for me, as their QB is our former Westlake QB. They are terrible, for sure, and their QB, as well. But what he has accomplished is nothing short of incredible. He has earned the right to turn it around, which he may or may not do.

But it's a run Texas fans could only dream of and it makes me laugh when people post here how he sucks.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

It's not *that* different than Mack from 2000-2009. 

And then Mack sucked. Like Dabo, who sucks

Mack's run would he like Dabo's run if Mack:

-went undefeated vs OU

-didn't shit the bed against CU or KSU multiple times

-and somehow avoids Colt injuries (freshman or senior year)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2