Sell Me (on) A Car

Ms. Scorpio needs a new ride. Currently have a QX80. She likes it and wants to get another one. But I come here for advice on other gigantic SUVs. Where I'm coming from: 

I used to have a Tahoe, I like the QX80 way better than any Chevy, but I haven't driven the new Suburbans/Yukons.

No Expedition because I used to have an Explorer and every other day something would break or fall off that piece of shit. At least Henry Ford is burning in hell. 

I like Toyotas and am interested in the Sequoia, but have never driven one. 

I like the the QX80 more than the GX460 or LX570. 

I am intrigued by the GLS 450, Ms. Scorpio used to have a little Mercedes SUV that was alright. 

I really like the Volvo XC90s, but they are too small.  I'm not interested in any of the smaller SUVs since it needs to be big enough for me to fuck my wife in the back of and we both weigh 500 pounds.

Thanks in advance. 

Have you considered a Prius?  Why do y'all hate Mother Earth?

If you're not in a rush, I would test drive all of the cars you're considering.  I would suggest a Land Cruiser over a Sequoia.  Yukon Denali over a Tahoe.  Fuck Volvo and Audi unless you'd like to be on a first name basis with your mechanic.  If you're not worried about that, I'd test drive Range Rover as well.

• Like 1

I didn’t even think of the Land Cruiser because for some reason I had it in my head that they were $100,000+ but it appears  I am incorrect on the pricing. And they last forever, so I can bang my fat wife in them for years. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I didn’t even think of the Land Cruiser because for some reason I had it in my head that they were $100,000+ but it appears  I am incorrect on the pricing. And they last forever, so I can bang my fat wife in them for years. 

It’s pretty similar to the LX570. Biggest difference is the front grill and the price. Are the things you dislike on the Lexus not there on the Toyota?

I'm in a similar boat.  Wife has had her Armada for 10+ years, and trying to decide new Armada vs QX80 vs dropping down to something smaller.  It's my understanding that the QX80 isn't due for a major redesign for several years, so that might help if she needs to have the latest stuff.  For whatever reason, I prefer the Armada styling to the QX, but that's probably because I'm cheap. 

And Land Cruisers are awesome, but holy shit, the prices.  And if you gave me my pick, it'd be an FJ55.

Land Cruiser is hard to beat.   Only new car I ever have of will buy.  Had one for years but my wife wanted something else because it was too "old."  You can get a used one with years and miles left for much less.

Tried the large MB SUV which was fine because it also had three rows for the kids and long trips back to Texas but it was really a big car.  Now that none of my kids can fit in the way back we are in a Range Rover Sport.  Good space but seats only 5.  It has a big engine and can move but the gas mileage is the suck.  

Edited by jTower

On 3/31/2018 at 3:35 PM, Damor said:

I'm in a similar boat.  Wife has had her Armada for 10+ years, and trying to decide new Armada vs QX80 vs dropping down to something smaller.  It's my understanding that the QX80 isn't due for a major redesign for several years, so that might help if she needs to have the latest stuff.  For whatever reason, I prefer the Armada styling to the QX, but that's probably because I'm cheap. 

And Land Cruisers are awesome, but holy shit, the prices.  And if you gave me my pick, it'd be an FJ55.

QX80 just got a design refresh, so I think you're right that a major redesign is at least 3-4 years away.  We likely would have gotten an Armada instead of the QX80 but my wife did not like the two tone paint scheme on the Armada.  And there are a few things you can't get on the Armada, but not as many as you might think.  And fuel economy is better than expected.  Wife gets 17 mpg in mixed driving around town.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

Ms. Scorpio needs a new ride. Currently have a QX80. She likes it and wants to get another one. But I come here for advice on other gigantic SUVs. Where I'm coming from: 

I used to have a Tahoe, I like the QX80 way better than any Chevy, but I haven't driven the new Suburbans/Yukons.

No Expedition because I used to have an Explorer and every other day something would break or fall off that piece of shit. At least Henry Ford is burning in hell. 

I like Toyotas and am interested in the Sequoia, but have never driven one. 

I like the the QX80 more than the GX460 or LX570. 

I am intrigued by the GLS 450, Ms. Scorpio used to have a little Mercedes SUV that was alright. 

I really like the Volvo XC90s, but they are too small.  I'm not interested in any of the smaller SUVs since it needs to be big enough for me to fuck my wife in the back of and we both weigh 500 pounds.

Thanks in advance. 

Wife had a Tahoe prior to her 17 QX80.  We test drove Sequioa, Tahoe, Yukon, Infiniti and Armada.  Didn't even look at Fords because wife didn't like how they looked.  Did not look at MB GLS because of price and quality issues they've had with those.

At the end of the day, we obviously bought the QX.  Armada and Yukon Denali were the runners up.  Sequoia will run forever but we hated the interior and ride quality, and I'm a big fan of Toyota.  

On 3/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Have you considered a Prius?  Why do y'all hate Mother Earth?

If you're not in a rush, I would test drive all of the cars you're considering.  I would suggest a Land Cruiser over a Sequoia.  Yukon Denali over a Tahoe.  Fuck Volvo and Audi unless you'd like to be on a first name basis with your mechanic.  If you're not worried about that, I'd test drive Range Rover as well.

Present day Audis are very reliable.  Volvo has gone up to average since Ford sold them off.  http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2015/10/20/consumer-reports-most-reliable-brands/3.html

Because I bought a GLS-450 a year and a half ago, I got approached to participate in a survey of large, luxury SUV's, all 3 row seating except somehow a Range Rover snuck its way in.  There were 3 models of Cadillac, Infiniti, Mercedes, Lincoln and a Lexus, not sure of all the models off the top of my head.  Keeping in mind that the prime reason I got the 450 was for 3 row seating, the only make I thought comparable to the MBZ was the Lincoln.  The Cadillac's all sucked, primarily due to very poor sight lines.  I mean, I know it's a big effin car, but I should be able see, or at least have a good idea, where my front end ends.  The Caddies did have a lot of room inside, except one which was a model  that was smaller.  The Infiniti I thought did not have true 3 row seating, the 3rd row is only good for little kids or dwarves.  I don't remember why I didn't like the Lexus.  The Range Rover as mentioned was just not in the same class, size wise. 

The survey was based on primarily around looks and comfort.  We did not get to drive, or even turn the key.  They told us the features but those all seemed very similar to me just by the description.  Oh and I got $200.

• Like 1

Just went through this with my wife’s vehicle. She had a BMW X5. It had 3rd row seats, but they were tiny jump seats. Looked at Armada, Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade, Explorer and QX80. Drivewise, the Armada and QX80 seemed to handle the best. Wife liked the interior of the Armada and exterior of QX80. The differences between the two were very minor. She decided that since she is inside the car more often than outside looking at it, she chose the Armada. Final price was $22k less than the QX80.

Third row seats in it are fine. I’m not the typical Surly 6’6”, just 6’ and there is plenty of room. Probably wouldn’t want to make a cross county trip in the third row, but it wouldn’t be a problem for 3-4 hours.

• Like 1

Just went through this with my wife’s vehicle. She had a BMW X5. It had 3rd row seats, but they were tiny jump seats. Looked at Armada, Yukon, Tahoe, Escalade, Explorer and QX80. Drivewise, the Armada and QX80 seemed to handle the best. Wife liked the interior of the Armada and exterior of QX80. The differences between the two were very minor. She decided that since she is inside the car more often than outside looking at it, she chose the Armada. Final price was $22k less than the QX80.

Third row seats in it are fine. I’m not the typical Surly 6’6”, just 6’ and there is plenty of room. Probably wouldn’t want to make a cross county trip in the third row, but it wouldn’t be a problem for 3-4 hours.
How did you spec out the Armada? Price difference is more like 7-8k on comparably equipped vehicles.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Maybe you should test drive a new wife.

She needs to be large, Japanese, and seat up to 7. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Lose 100 pounds each and try an XC90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You misread my post. We weigh a combined 500 pounds. She weights 420 and I weigh 80. It's fucking weird. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sounds like I need to go test drive some Land Cruisers before my wife ignores me and inevitably gets another QX80. 

LC isn't going to have quite as much space inside if that's an issue, but you can never go wrong with a Land Cruiser.

I think you should look at the World Domination Invasion Force. New model by a new company, America Fuck Yeah - built in America of course* - and it's so big it takes up two lanes for an entire city block. Gets 12 gallons per mile and weighs 4000 metric tons. That should fill the bill, shouldn't it, fat boy?

* Some Chinese components (less than 95%).

How did you spec out the Armada? Price difference is more like 7-8k on comparably equipped vehicles.

Armada Platinum, captain’s chairs, interior lighting package and some dealer add ons like tint, floor mats, roof rails and one or two other things. Got the price down to $47.5k. MSRP was around $62-62k. Couldn’t get QX80 much below 70k, with similar specs. MSRP on that one was about $80k.

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

Armada Platinum, captain’s chairs, interior lighting package and some dealer add ons like tint, floor mats, roof rails and one or two other things. Got the price down to $47.5k. MSRP was around $62-62k. Couldn’t get QX80 much below 70k, with similar specs. MSRP on that one was about $80k.

Wow, that's a great deal.  I would have gone for the Armada as well given that price difference.  We were looking right when the Armadas first hit dealer lots and they weren't discounting anywhere near that much, so I stuck with the Infiniti.  Sticker on the truck we bought was right around $71k vs. $63k on the Nissan and discounts were comparable on each.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Wow, that's a great deal.  I would have gone for the Armada as well given that price difference.  We were looking right when the Armadas first hit dealer lots and they weren't discounting anywhere near that much, so I stuck with the Infiniti.  Sticker on the truck we bought was right around $71k vs. $63k on the Nissan and discounts were comparable on each.

Yeah, Nissan had some rebates going on that took about $6k off the price.  Had to use their financing for 60 days, and will then just pay off the note.  If the price differnence was $6-8k, I would have gone with the Infiniti as well.  

• 8 months later...

CPO (2017 or 2018) GLS 450 or XC90?

Test driving both tomorrow. Thought GLS would be slam dunk choice but reading XC90 may be a little quicker and certainly cheaper.  Seems XC90 may have less cargo space, but can’t tell.  

We could happen on a well priced GLS550 which could make all of this moot, but I want the quicker (relatively) car.  Salesman may not like way I test drive tomorrow.  

Wish Lexus would update the GX.  The LX is a tank. But the GX might as well be from 2010 right now.  

(Edited to add, Why?  Need more room and third row seats, wife won’t get a Tahoe or Escalade (too wide for garage). Upgrading from Q5 so would like some performance there).  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

18 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Test driving both tomorrow. Thought GLS would be slam dunk choice but reading XC90 may be a little quicker and certainly cheaper.  Seems XC90 may have less cargo space, but can’t tell.  

We could happen on a well priced GLS550 which could make all of this moot, but I want the quicker (relatively) car.  Salesman may not like way I test drive tomorrow.  

Wish Lexus would update the GX.  The LX is a tank. But the GX might as well be from 2010 right now.  

(Edited to add, Why?  Need more room and third row seats, wife won’t get a Tahoe or Escalade (too wide for garage). Upgrading from Q5 so would like some performance there).  

I drove a 2017 GLS450 for about a year before trading it in on a 2018 GLE350.  Don't ask why...or check the Wives thread sometime in the near future.  If 3-row seating is the priority, I don't think the 450 (or 550 obv) can be  beat.  I also really liked the 9-speed engine in the 450, but it wasn't "quick" that's for sure.  I guess maybe relative to other similar size vehicles.  But I feel like the 4.0 9 speed in the 450 is better than the 7 speed 3.5 in the 350 both off the line as well as top speed.

Anyway as luck would have it, I got on some list for some marketing company and they offered me $200 to review a bunch of other 3-row luxury SUV's which I would guess would be 2018 models.  Not test drive, just go look at them, sit in them, etc.  There were 3 models of Cadillac, an Infiniti, a Range Rover which for some odd reason didn't have 3 rows, a Lincoln Navigator and my car.  For true three row seating, only one of the caddies, the MBZ and the Lincoln were satisfactory.  And all of the caddies just had really bad sight lines.   The Infiniti might as well have just made it 2 rows.

Sorry, can't really help on the Volvo.  

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

have you considered getting a new wife instead?
or going with the true life improvement & become free and clear from a wife - then buy whatever the hell you want?

just asking because someone should point you in the right direction....

19 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

I think Land Cruisers start at about $85k, which seems crazy. 

True, but in 5 years you can still sell it for $60K.  Or you can realize you have purchased the preeminent SUV of all time and drive it like a boss for eternity which is about how long it will last.

• Like 2

In same battle with wife right now. 

Moving from Denali to probably another Denali. But she doesn’t want to be in the “same car” even though this one has been pretty impeccable considering the abuse it receives daily.  She’s put it thru the paces for 196k miles and it’s still going, but needing to get the conversation going now, just in case.  

#teamlandcruiser

On 12/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

The LX is actually longer in the tooth, the J200 (LX) hasn't been updated since 2007, J150 (GX) was updated in 2009.