Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

17 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Lmao. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Settling for what, your 4th or 5th choice?

So are we, and most other top flight teams these days. Even Kentucky had to go with their 3rd choice when Donovan and Barnes turned them down. NCAA basketball is very different from football in this regard. Football schools can generally hit a home run 1/2 tries with an even competent AD. In basketball most guys being looked at for top jobs don't feel the same need to move to the big name school, especially if they are happy where they are. There just aren't a ton of top flight coaches available, and it works out in their favor if they like it where they are and want a raise. 

They had a good coach in Howland but they were living in the past thinking they were entitled to the next John Wooden. Nobody wants to coach at UCLA because their fan/administration expectations are absurd. 

Just because UCLA was good back in the 70s with the greatest college basketball coach of all time doesn't mean you can replicate that success. 

Firing a coach like Howland, who made 3 final 4s, is why UCLA deserves everything coming their way. It's not a matter of finding a decent coach. It's a matter of being realistic with your expectations. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

UCLA is a pseudo-blue blood at this point.

UNC, Duke, UK, and KU are the true blues.

Be interesting to see if Duke maintains their status once K leaves, the other 3 schools have had multiple coaches win titles for them. 

Be interesting to see if Duke maintains their status once K leaves, the other 3 schools have had multiple coaches win titles for them. 
They won't

The other 3 schools also experienced lulls, it's never the same once the legend steps away.

9 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

UCLA got a good coach. Barnes prayed for a raise. Lol, maybe next year pray for a fucking banner of some significance. 

jesus that's pathetic. he should pray to get another job offer somewhere else so he can leave his current school where he's been by any objective measure a total home run hire, only to have his own fans incessantly bitch and moan about him while actively wishing he would leave. "rumor is Barnes doesn't feel supported" clintonaldo says. yeah no shit i wonder why. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

jesus that's pathetic. he should pray to get another job offer somewhere else so he can leave his current school where he's been by any objective measure a total home run hire, only to have his own fans incessantly bitch and moan about him while actively wishing he would leave. "rumor is Barnes doesn't feel supported" he says. yeah no shit i wonder why. 

He tried to get another job and the buyout couldn’t work out. Barnes doesn’t have an agent so he can’t play dumb when talking to other schools. 

Let the record show next year when Tennessee struggles to make the tournament I was already out. Shitty recruing minus one good player coming in and 0 bench development. 

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

My god Derka negged me for that and somehow my rep went up. You’re still a good guy Derka. 

you're not. Tennessee basketball just had one of its 5 best seasons ever and you spent the entire season essentially rooting against them because you hate the head coach for reasons beyond anyone's comprehension. you refused to enjoy the 31 win season where you knocked off Gonzaga, went 2-1 vs UK, and made it to the Sweet 16 (where the referees screwed you out of a win), and instead of ever enjoying *any* of it, or being mad at the people who actually cost you a shot at a title, you spent the season moaning about Barnes and then cursing his name and begging for him to leave once the season ended. you should feel embarrassed, but that would require even an ounce of self awareness. 

If Rick Barnes does crash and burn from here on out you can sleep well knowing that you were right. Because that's clearly what important to you. Not Tennessee hoops. Not your HC pulling Tennessee basketball from the doldrums of the SEC and turning it into a top 10 team while running a clean program- no; you being right about Rick Barnes being a bad coach is more important than any of that. you cannot have made that more clear. good luck going forward. i hope your program does well despite your refusal to enjoy any of its success. Actually that's not true. I hope y'all lose Barnes to UK or Florida and hire Shaka in his place. That's what you deserve. 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you're not. Tennessee basketball just had one of its 5 best seasons ever and you spent the entire season essentially rooting against them because you hate the head coach for reasons beyond anyone's comprehension. you refused to enjoy the 31 win season where you knocked off Gonzaga, went 2-1 vs UK, and made it to the Sweet 16 (where the referees screwed you out of a win), and instead of ever enjoying *any* of it, or being mad at the people who actually cost you a shot at a title, you spent the season moaning about Barnes and then cursing his name and begging for him to leave once the season ended. you should feel embarrassed, but that would require even an ounce of self awareness. 

If Rick Barnes does crash and burn from here on out you can sleep well knowing that you were right. Because that's clearly what important to you. Not Tennessee hoops. Not your HC pulling Tennessee basketball from the doldrums of the SEC and turning it into a top 10 team while running a clean program- no; you being right about Rick Barnes being a bad coach is more important than any of that. you cannot have made that more clear. good luck going forward. i hope your program does well despite your refusal to enjoy any of its success. Actually that's not true. I hope y'all lose Barnes to UK or Florida and hire Shaka in his place. That's what you deserve. 

So you are mad I was correct?

• Like 1

Barnes' roster returns something 21 ppg and 6 rpg.  IIRC, TN lost its 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7th scorers with 4 and 5 combining for 19 ppg.  It's even worse if u look at rebounding as I think 4 and 5 may be guards.

If he makes the tourney next year, I'll give Derka lots of credit.  

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Barnes' roster returns something 21 ppg and 6 rpg.  IIRC, TN lost its 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7th scorers with 4 and 5 combining for 19 ppg.  It's even worse if u look at rebounding as I think 4 and 5 may be guards.

If he makes the tourney next year, I'll give Derka lots of credit.  

Why give Derka any credit -- is Barnes adding Derka to his Vols staff??

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Underdog said:

Kansas still keeps making the tournament but you could argue that they have kind of hit a wall the last few trips, Self might be losing a little of the mojo? I can't see them axing him but you know they had to cringe watching Tech make their run.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Goo Punch said:

all i can do is laugh. never before have i witnessed a coach be such a home run of a hire only to have his own fans actively dislike him, and root against him, and refuse to enjoy the amazing turnaround he's done with their program. what a miserable way to live. 

Clintonado is a well known DUMB ASS! Bitches about every basketball coach! Hated Cuonzo too. Ignore his dumb ass

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

On 4/9/2019 at 8:22 PM, Goo Punch said:

jesus that's pathetic. he should pray to get another job offer somewhere else so he can leave his current school where he's been by any objective measure a total home run hire, only to have his own fans incessantly bitch and moan about him while actively wishing he would leave. "rumor is Barnes doesn't feel supported" clintonaldo says. yeah no shit i wonder why. 

Hahahahaahahaahahaahahahaaha

If UCLA had paid the buyout, he would have been gone faster than you could blink. 

as he should have. why would anyone want to be somewhere where he isn't appreciated after turning the program around faster/more profoundly than anyone could ever have hoped for? 

also, regardless of the fact that so many of their fans never wanted him and have refused to enjoy the turnaround he's performed, i'm failing to see what the big deal is here. is it supposed to make him look bad that he was going to seriously consider taking a promotion with a pay raise at an actual basketball school after the job he's done at Tennessee? I have no clue what all of the fuss is about. 

Edited by Goo Punch

^^^ see what i'm saying about the fans? he's a religious man and he prayed on it, and the snarky replies from Tennessee fans about that fact haven't stopped. he's brought their program further than they ever could have imagined (and in one recruiting cycle no less) and they all openly dislike him/root against him because...??? as i've said, following them this year has opened my eyes to the fact that Tennessee fans are the aggies of the SEC...well, the other aggies. they act exactly the same, right down to the little brother complex with Texas. 

fact: if this were literally any other coach, yet everything else had played out exactly the same, then our fans would be crushing Tennessee fans for acting like they deserve better/hating their own coach despite his success there. that's a fact. But it's Barnes, and nobody here likes him, so their fans get sympathy. it's pretty dumb. They hid their pettiness pretty well for awhile, but this job offer has really brought it out. "ZOMFG, our coach has done so well here that UCLA wants him now! Well fuck him then, for even considering leaving!!" I seriously hope he leaves as soon as possible.

Edited by Goo Punch