Who is your current favorite announcer?

markstanco

FTO, but it is in full swing since June is here.  I am talking about college football exclusively. 

Keith Jackson is the GOAT in my book, but my by FAR favorite is Gus Johnson.  You can hear the passion for the game in his voice no matter what game he is calling, and he calls it right down the middle.  No favorites, just passion and screaming in to the microphone!

^^^Be sure to watch at :40 and at 1:09 for the awesome followed by the lulz. 

• Like 2

I love Gus and Klatt as a team. Craig Way is possibly the GOAT in local college sports. 

NFL I would have to say Troy Aikman and Joe Buck

NBA is Marv Albert by a mile

Golf is Tim Brando by a mile

Pro Wraslin is by gawd Jim Ross!

Craig Way

Keith Jackson historically

I actually am fine with most of the A- and B-team play-by-play announcers, but the analysts next to them temper my enjoyment greatly (Gary Danielson, I'm looking at you)

Gus is good for CFB, but he belongs at Turner Sports so he can call March Madness

Beyond CFB, Kevin Harlan is the best in the business.

• Like 4

Daryl fucking Reaugh all day.

Nobody in football makes a game ‘better’ the way Razor does hockey.

as for football games, if they offered ambient sound with no announcers, I’d pick it every fuckingtime.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Brad Nessler is the best in the business right now, but I doubt I'll ever have the same respect for him as I do Keith Jackson, Verne Lundquist, or Ron Franklin

Fowler's the worst PBP, Danielson is the worst CC

I miss Verne. Austin High grad, too. 

Not quite old enough to miss Keith like I know I should. 

And if we're going radio too - gonna throw Brad Sham out there. And not even a big Cowboys guy. 

Edited by ztejas

I liked Chris Spielman as a color guy, but don't think he's doing college anymore.

Beyond CFB:

I don't really follow NHL aside from when the playoffs come around, but I'll always listen for a bit if Doc Emrick is PbPing.

I grew up with Bob Uecker on the radio. I wish everyone could experience him broadcasting for their team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

FTO, but it is in full swing since June is here.  I am talking about college football exclusively. 

Keith Jackson is the GOAT in my book, but my by FAR favorite is Gus Johnson.  You can hear the passion for the game in his voice no matter what game he is calling, and he calls it right down the middle.  No favorites, just passion and screaming in to the microphone!

^^^Be sure to watch at :40 and at 1:09 for the awesome followed by the lulz. 

Gotta admit, I loved Gus call of Rosen's dagger to the ass of aggy. Ran it back several times.

14 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Brad Nessler is the best in the business right now, but I doubt I'll ever have the same respect for him as I do Keith Jackson, Verne Lundquist, or Ron Franklin

Fowler's the worst PBP, Danielson is the worst CC

Verne was great on "Bowling for Dollars". sec not so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

Historically -- Chris Schenkel (putting aside the 1969 Texas-Ark which was not his best).  As a kid, his voice was college football (and Pro Bowlers Tour!).   I also miss Ron Frankin.

Today, they all suck!

I'll be sure to keep my teenage sons off your lawn pops

1 minute ago, Bash Riprock said:

Dave South

I gotta admit I miss Jack Dale calling our games, RIP.

You just felt like you were with family when his voice filled the airwaves.

Just now, El Diablo said:

I thought the combo of Eric Nadel and Victor Rojas was pretty good for Rangers baseball.

IMHO, There’s only  one answer for the Rangers if we goin back through history...

Brad Nessler for sure. It's a shame he's on a team with the asshat Gary Danielson, but Brad has the voice and the tempo for it and I'll listen to the CBS broadcasts if only for his calls.

Love Craig Way for anything, but one thing I really enjoy is when he's flabbergasted by a call the officials made. When he's openly shocked at a call, you know it's a bad one.

Edited by Noogman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

IMHO, There’s only  one answer for the Rangers if we goin back through history...

I strayed off topic with Rojas since the thread title specifically relates to current announcers. For baseball I prefer radio to TV, that's just me.

28 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

NFL I would have to say Troy Aikman and Joe Buck

That Thursday night game between the Jets and the Browns where Baker got his first action was great TV.  It doesn't get much better than 2 rookie QBs duking it out and Aikman reminiscing on his rookie days.  Loved his story about lining up under the wrong line man.  It aint me baby.

16 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I strayed off topic with Rojas since the thread title specifically relates to current announcers. For baseball I prefer radio to TV, that's just me.

Baseball on the radio is like having a slice of warm apple pie on a cool October afternoon after you've shot at the range with your custom made AR-15. 

It's just so delectably American. I remember being in my car listening to the radio when Beltre got #3,000. Will never forget that or where I was when I heard it. 

Edited by ztejas

Historically

I really enjoyed the Sunday Night Baseball crew of Jon Miller and Harry Morgan as they were on every Sunday from when I was 1 until I was 21. On the college football side give me the 11AM Big XII match-up between Colorado and Texas Tech with Joel Meyers giving the play by play. I'll also take an Astros booth of Bill Brown and Alan Ashby.

Current:

First on the color side is Razor and right behind him is Geoff Blum. Play by play I'll take Sean McDonough or Brad Nessler. I like Fran Fraschilla in college basketball. Pro football has to be the Sunday night crew of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth but that's mainly for nostalgia reasons.

Edited by SimonBolivar

gus is a terrible announcer, I'll die on that hill. your pxp guy is supposed to accurately describe wtf is going on to the viewer as the tv product for football cheats the viewer out of seeing the whole field.... the camera just zooms in on the ball carrier/qb so you have no idea of what's going on holistically/down field. Gus gets fired up when a RB breaks the initial LOS acting as if there's 50 yds of green grass ahead getting the viewer fired up only to have both safeties converge on the RB for a 4 yd gain. Or the qb throws a deep ball into quadruple coverage and clearly 30 yds overthrown to anybody in the stadium, gus will give it a "HE'S GOING DEEP, HE'S GOT A MANNNN!"... no you fucking idiot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Baseball on the radio is like having a slice of warm apple pie on a cool October afternoon after you've shot at the range with your custom made AR-15. 

It's just so delectably American. I remember being in my car listening to the radio when Beltre got #3,000. Will never forget that or where I was when I heard it. 

Agreed. I listen to Nadel on my drive home most days and its just relaxing to me. I feel that I get into the game more listening on the radio vs. tv.  While I prefer to watch football, listening Kevin Harlan on the Monday/Thursday night games on the evening drive is great as well.

Another vote for Sean McDonough, I know a lot of you twats think/believe ehe hates on Texas but he’s as solid as they come.  I think Nessler’s on the downswing, much like Gus, both are better at basketball than football imo.  

Eagle/Spanarkle are a great pair for both college and NBA games(Nets). 

I could listen to Gary Thorne read a phone book. 

Jon Sciambi is good. 

1 minute ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Agreed. I listen to Nadel on my drive home most days and its just relaxing to me. I feel that I get into the game more listening on the radio vs. tv.  While I prefer to watch football, listening Kevin Harlan on the Monday/Thursday night games on the evening drive is great as well.

I agree about Nadal- does a great job describing the game. I think Matt Hicks is OK but I can definitely tell a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game when Nadal calls it vs Hicks.

22 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I agree about Nadal- does a great job describing the game. I think Matt Hicks is OK but I can definitely tell a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game when Nadal calls it vs Hicks.

Hell I'm an Astros fan and I find myself tuning in to hear Nadal on a warm summer night as I'm driving around town.

Edited by SimonBolivar

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I could listen to Gary Thorne read a phone book.

Thorne does PBP for the Orioles (enuf to test any announcer trying to sell a shit sammich to the starving). 

Still, he is very entertaining, although prone to missing calls not unlike some of Galindo’s “pop up” home runs.  He really does a good job of engaging Jim Palmer in great stories especially those involving Earl Weaver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I love Joe Buck in pro football and baseball. Aikman is good. Nantz and Romo make a great team. 

I remember when Joe's dad, Frank was doing one of the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day games, back in the day. Setting up the commercial break (for Swift Butterball turkeys, of course), Buck said, "And now a bird from our sponsor." True story.