The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I got a Martin leather strap as a gift at some point in time and have used it exclusively for over 20 years.  I don't' know if I could use anything else.  It's super comfortable, but not in a Phil Lesh way.

Phil-Strap.png
I'll see your Phil Lesh and raise you a Steve Harris

Harris7.jpg
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:32 PM, Fastbreak said:

I bought this a few years ago (it was non-playable with all the wiring f’d up). I’ve messed with it every so often between time under my bed. It’s finally finished and playable.

I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans, switched to locking tuners, changed out the bridge, drilled holes to go from a single volume/tone to volume/tone for each pickup and of course re-wired it. I also added a new pickguard and back plate. Basically everything except the wood is new.

abcae11e079ba6da96b02ac42db4fec8.jpg
I wanted something a bit “metal” :)

It actually sounds great, especially at the low end.

My niece has an SG Bigsby that I’m hoping to borrow.   Beautiful walnut.  

13 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I used to have this poster in my room so I’ve always wanted one like this.

IMG_9267.jpeg

A friend of mine and former band mate owns one of these original Schecter PT’s from the 80s. Bought it from Zach Blair the guitarist from Rise Against back in the late 90s when he was in Hagfish. That Tele is about as rock and roll as it gets. Just a killer guitar that plays like butter. 

27 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

A friend of mine and former band mate owns one of these original Schecter PT’s from the 80s. Bought it from Zach Blair the guitarist from Rise Against back in the late 90s when he was in Hagfish. That Tele is about as rock and roll as it gets. Just a killer guitar that plays like butter. 

Schecter Saturn. Most of the production ones were made in Dallas with the Fender style headstock. I still haven’t seen one in the wild but I hope to buy one at some point. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

someone shared some CAGED videos or something in one of the guitar threads. [mention=699]Chad Fuck[/mention] maybe it was you? Spark makes it super easy to play along with videos and I could use some structured practice on fretboard orientation

I don’t think it was me. But I’ve hit the limit on my memory in some quarters so…maybe?

Dropped by and paid my respects to one of the greats. He's in Billstown, AR, where he was born, about an hour from the border in a family cemetery that's becoming more populated quite frequently these days.

20240128_135732.thumb.jpg.0798ac2b5ad565019c7ed2e5829d252b.jpg

The cemetery is very well maintained and quite picturesque with a little pond off to the side. When you walk up to Glen's grave these is a motion sensor that trips and starts playing his version of Amazing Grace from a speaker mounted up in that large tree towards the back. I mean, come on.

20240128_140334.thumb.jpg.d50a4cb3e1a5a07b72a503ea35c10780.jpg

One of the other Campbells buried there had this emblazoned on the back of his headstone. I found it remarkable because as far as I know PRS hasn't invented the double-humbucker Stratocaster yet.

20240128_140020.thumb.jpg.5766a6d7ba0598dd7ed864f74918c6e0.jpg

I don't know which of He Stopped Loving Her Today or Wichita Lineman is the greatest Country song of all time, but it's one of those two.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Dropped by and paid my respects to one of the greats. He's in Billstown, AR, where he was born, about an hour from the border in a family cemetery that's becoming more populated quite frequently these days.

20240128_135732.thumb.jpg.0798ac2b5ad565019c7ed2e5829d252b.jpg

The cemetery is very well maintained and quite picturesque with a little pond off to the side. When you walk up to Glen's grave these is a motion sensor that trips and starts playing his version of Amazing Grace from a speaker mounted up in that large tree towards the back. I mean, come on.

20240128_140334.thumb.jpg.d50a4cb3e1a5a07b72a503ea35c10780.jpg

One of the other Campbells buried there had this emblazoned on the back of his headstone. I found it remarkable because as far as I know PRS hasn't invented the double-humbucker Stratocaster yet.

20240128_140020.thumb.jpg.5766a6d7ba0598dd7ed864f74918c6e0.jpg

I don't know which of He Stopped Loving Her Today or Wichita Lineman is the greatest Country song of all time, but it's one of those two.

Are there fish in that pond? Asking for a friend.

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Boygenius Gretsch

I had not heard of this band or this girl, but have been looking at Gretsch guitars since someone posted the Adorama sale priced “single cut” that was half off. ($299 down from $599)

I considered buying that one several times and may in the future if Adorama drops the price again.

Being closer to standard retirement age than to college graduation age, when I watched the video yesterday, many judgmental thoughts popped into my head. Initial interest in the guitar quickly waned after the explanation of the fretboard markers. I realize that that says more about me than the person talking about the guitar.

Reading the comments below the video had me rolling my eyes and/or shaking my head. I still am interested in a Gretsch someday, especially with a shorter scale length and Filtertrons, but it will be a standard issue rather than a special edition associated with this band. 

I am gradually becoming a “Get Off My Lawn!” guy and I don’t even have my own lawn. 
image.gif.94076d995a4c349c9acf0c649ad4f977.gif

I unapologetically enjoy Phoebe Bridgers - I know her from Better Oblivion Community Center (which, as an old emo kid I know because of Bright Eyes) and her Manchester Orchestra cover. Stranger In the Alps is a good album. She’s obnoxious but talented.

I haven’t dug into Boygenius and they are probably overhyped within the crowd where they are hyped, but they are for sure talented and I love anything getting girls excited about playing rock music.

Small hollow (/semihollow, not sure) is cool, although as with almost any signature model I agree about not loving the little custom details.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like their individual music better than the actual boygenius stuff but they are great. If Julien Baker ever wants to “switch teams,” I’ll be waiting.

No opinion of the guitar other than that seems like an odd band to have a signature guitar for.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

22 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

Just love Wichita Lineman, my favorite Jimmy Webb tune.  Can’t sing it though,I think.

This is a great analysis of Wichita Lineman.  Strong Songs is a great podcast if you enjoy song structure, writing and arrangements.  Dude is super talented and spends a lot of time dissecting songs.  

https://strongsongspodcast.com/search/wichita lineman

• Hook 'Em 2

Guitars and amplifiers belonging to Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler have sold for more than £8m at auction - much higher than had been estimated.

Knopfler sold more than more than 120 of his guitars and amps, with 25% of the proceeds going to charity.

The sale was led by Knopfler's 1959 Vintage Gibson Les Paul Standard, which sold for £693,000, setting a new world auction record for the model.

The musician said the auction had been "an incredible journey"

"I am so pleased that these much-loved instruments will find new players and new songs as well as raising money for charities that mean a lot to me," he continued.

"It has been heart-warming to witness how much these guitars mean to so many people and I am also pleased that they will continue to give joy to many through the songs recorded over the years with me.

"To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you all good things."

The London auction saw registered bidders and buyers from 61 countries, with a final total including buyer's premium, confirmed at £8,840,160.

Knopfler's 1988 Pensa-Suhr MK-1, which he played at Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday tribute concert at Wembley Stadium, sold for £504,000 despite having an estimate of just £8,000.

Elsewhere, the Red Schecter Telecaster, which Knopfler purchased in 1984 to record hit Dire Straits song Walk Of Life, went under the hammer for £415,800, well above its £6,000 estimate.

Dire Straits became superstars in the mid-80s with their hit single Money for Nothing, a satire on rock excess in the MTV era.

Knopfler's collection, which was auctioned at Christie's in London on Wednesday, spans the entirety of his 50-year career.

Speaking to BBC News about the guitars in November, Knopfler said: "I hope they all get played, I don't think they do too well living in a case all their lives."

The guitar Knopfler played to record and perform Solid Rock had an estimate of £6,000 but sold for £277,000.

The sale also included the 1983 Les Paul that Knopfler used to record Money For Nothing and Brothers In Arms, and which he played on stage at Live Aid in 1985. It had an estimated price of £10,000-£15,000 but sold for £592,000.

And the first electric-acoustic guitar Knopfler owned had an estimate of £5,000 but sold for £126,000.

The Pensa-Suhr that Knopfler used at the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday tribute concert in June 1988 was also among the lots.

It had an estimate price of £6,000-£8,000, but ended up fetching more than £500,000.

At least a quarter of the proceeds from the auction will be divided equally and donated to the British Red Cross, Tusk, and Brave Hearts of the North East.

Meanwhile, the Teenage Cancer Trust will receive all of the £403,200 raised from Knopfler's 2021 Gibson Les Paul "gold top" guitar - signed by 33 stars including the late Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood, Sir Brian May, Sting, Sir Ringo Starr and Bruce Springsteen.

Auction house Christie's will also donate £50,000 to each of the four charities, it said.

Knopfler formed Dire Straits in 1977 with his younger brother David, bassist John Illsley, and drummer Pick Withers.

Their laid-back, blues-tinged rock was a hit on both sides of the Atlantic, with hit albums including Communiqué, Love Over Gold and Making Movies - often considered their finest moment.

They shot to fame with 1985's multi million-selling Brothers in Arms, which spawned several hit singles including Walk Of Life and Money For Nothing.

Knopfler has been called one of the greatest guitar virtuosos of all time, known for the fluid and cinematic solos of songs like Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road.

Born in Scotland but raised in England, he never took a lesson and ultimately developed a pick-free playing style of his own.

"Playing with your fingers," he has said, "has something to do with immediacy and soul."

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

This is a great analysis of Wichita Lineman.  Strong Songs is a great podcast if you enjoy song structure, writing and arrangements.  Dude is super talented and spends a lot of time dissecting songs.  

https://strongsongspodcast.com/search/wichita lineman

Thanks.  I tried it earlier today.  No problem guitar wise, but it seemed unusually difficult “hearing” the melody (to sing to) as the song goes thru the chord arrangement.   Equals practice, of course.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Guitars and amplifiers belonging to Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler have sold for more than £8m at auction - much higher than had been estimated.

Knopfler sold more than more than 120 of his guitars and amps, with 25% of the proceeds going to charity.

The sale was led by Knopfler's 1959 Vintage Gibson Les Paul Standard, which sold for £693,000, setting a new world auction record for the model.

The musician said the auction had been "an incredible journey"

"I am so pleased that these much-loved instruments will find new players and new songs as well as raising money for charities that mean a lot to me," he continued.

"It has been heart-warming to witness how much these guitars mean to so many people and I am also pleased that they will continue to give joy to many through the songs recorded over the years with me.

"To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you all good things."

The London auction saw registered bidders and buyers from 61 countries, with a final total including buyer's premium, confirmed at £8,840,160.

Knopfler's 1988 Pensa-Suhr MK-1, which he played at Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday tribute concert at Wembley Stadium, sold for £504,000 despite having an estimate of just £8,000.

Elsewhere, the Red Schecter Telecaster, which Knopfler purchased in 1984 to record hit Dire Straits song Walk Of Life, went under the hammer for £415,800, well above its £6,000 estimate.

Dire Straits became superstars in the mid-80s with their hit single Money for Nothing, a satire on rock excess in the MTV era.

Knopfler's collection, which was auctioned at Christie's in London on Wednesday, spans the entirety of his 50-year career.

Speaking to BBC News about the guitars in November, Knopfler said: "I hope they all get played, I don't think they do too well living in a case all their lives."

The guitar Knopfler played to record and perform Solid Rock had an estimate of £6,000 but sold for £277,000.

The sale also included the 1983 Les Paul that Knopfler used to record Money For Nothing and Brothers In Arms, and which he played on stage at Live Aid in 1985. It had an estimated price of £10,000-£15,000 but sold for £592,000.

And the first electric-acoustic guitar Knopfler owned had an estimate of £5,000 but sold for £126,000.

The Pensa-Suhr that Knopfler used at the Nelson Mandela 70th birthday tribute concert in June 1988 was also among the lots.

It had an estimate price of £6,000-£8,000, but ended up fetching more than £500,000.

At least a quarter of the proceeds from the auction will be divided equally and donated to the British Red Cross, Tusk, and Brave Hearts of the North East.

Meanwhile, the Teenage Cancer Trust will receive all of the £403,200 raised from Knopfler's 2021 Gibson Les Paul "gold top" guitar - signed by 33 stars including the late Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood, Sir Brian May, Sting, Sir Ringo Starr and Bruce Springsteen.

Auction house Christie's will also donate £50,000 to each of the four charities, it said.

Knopfler formed Dire Straits in 1977 with his younger brother David, bassist John Illsley, and drummer Pick Withers.

Their laid-back, blues-tinged rock was a hit on both sides of the Atlantic, with hit albums including Communiqué, Love Over Gold and Making Movies - often considered their finest moment.

They shot to fame with 1985's multi million-selling Brothers in Arms, which spawned several hit singles including Walk Of Life and Money For Nothing.

Knopfler has been called one of the greatest guitar virtuosos of all time, known for the fluid and cinematic solos of songs like Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road.

Born in Scotland but raised in England, he never took a lesson and ultimately developed a pick-free playing style of his own.

"Playing with your fingers," he has said, "has something to do with immediacy and soul."

After reading these paragraphs…

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.d8c7181fb0b1b990507b42c4caf2ccec.jpeg

…I’m left wondering who in the hell was put in charge of estimating the value of these guitars.

Got sick and tired of fighting a couple of crummy cables.  Bought highly rated "high value" Fender cables with what I would call rubberized sleeves; i.e., not braided.  Had band practice last night.  Holy crap, they actually made a difference.  More grunt out of my amp at the same normal settings.  Night and day?  No, but a clear difference.  Lesson learned:  make sure your signal chain isn't fucked up anywhere along the way.  (No, I'm not buying into some sort of voodoo cable tech, the 10-footer cble I used was like $13.  It just didn't have sketchy solder joints at either end.)

image.png.0a667ee949c7a9a361a59657f3451a98.png 

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Got sick and tired of fighting a couple of crummy cables.  Bought highly rated "high value" Fender cables with what I would call rubberized sleeves; i.e., not braided.  Had band practice last night.  Holy crap, they actually made a difference.  More grunt out of my amp at the same normal settings.  Night and day?  No, but a clear difference.  Lesson learned:  make sure your signal chain isn't fucked up anywhere along the way.  (No, I'm not buying into some sort of voodoo cable tech, the 10-footer cble I used was like $13.  It just didn't have sketchy solder joints at either end.)

image.png.0a667ee949c7a9a361a59657f3451a98.png 

And look what is first on the Guitar World list.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-guitar-cables