Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 7/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, texifornia said:

Per TFloss Per The Football Brainiacs, 2020 QB Malik Hornsby is currently trending towards A&M despite choosing to visit Austin on Friday night and calling UT "home."

They mentioned a big reason for that is QB Roschon Johnson being in the class before him.

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Per TFloss Per The Football Brainiacs, 2020 QB Malik Hornsby is currently trending towards A&M despite choosing to visit Austin on Friday night and calling UT "home."

They mentioned a big reason for that is QB Roschon Johnson being in the class before him.

Hate to miss on talent, but

1. Shug will be available a year earlier than MH

2. Classes and winners are easier to build with bell cows than with mavericks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything from this guy today?

EJ: I'm told everything went really well. Figgins got to bond with Tom Herman Derek Warehime, Tim Beck and some of the other members of the staff. Texas is a major player here, and De'Gabriel Floyd, his teammate, is putting in plenty of work here. Figgins is actually expected to be back on campus tomorrow. I'll have more on him in The Stampede in the morning.

5 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I guess after Davis and Tongue, we can now claim that we are fighting Georgia head-to-head on the recruiting trail and have a claim to their national relevancy since aggy does the same with Alabama.

Stupid sip, you have to let them fuck you first

IT

MALIK HORNSBY ON THE RANGE

Malik Hornsby will soon make it public what high school he'll be representing this upcoming season. Prevailing wisdom says Fort Bend Austin. This step up in competition will do his development wonders and it will also give evaluators a clearer sense of what he'll become on the next level.

We know he's an athlete and we know he has a big arm. He also appears to be a tireless worker. He didn't have to camp at Texas -- he already holds an offer -- but he did anyway.

After the camp Joe and I caught up with him. He gave a lot of one-word responses.

The big question is whether or not he's concerned Texas already has a quarterback in the class. He says he's not and the staff has made no secret about wanting two. Here's the rest.

On how he fits in the offense:
"I think I fit well if I come here. I'll fit really well. I guess they build the offense around the quarterback."

What type of offense does he want to play in:
"I just want to take over. Put the ball in my hands and let me go win."

The best thing about visiting Texas:
"Home. It's home."

What he showed at camp:
"Showed them I can put great ball placement. That's it."

It's early but any schools standing out?
"I'm looking at all schools. I give my attention to all schools. No one is really leading."

What he's looking for:
"I want a place that feels like home. Good food, good eating. Some place I'm comfortable."

Favorite recent quarterbacks:
"Mariota, Marcus Mariota. Deshaun Watson, that's my idol, that's me. And my main man Lamar Jackson."

Where he sees himself in 10 years:
"Ten years from now, I see myself being an engineer. That's what I'm going to school for, mathematics and engineering. My dream is, if I do make it big, come back to my hometown of Houston and build a Boys and Girls Club with a football facility."

2020 APB PICKS UP COVETED OFFER

West Mesquite running back, Ty Jordan, was offered after the coaches saw him perform at camp. This was actually the second time Jordan camped for Texas as he made the drive to Houston to workout in front of Texas coaches. He ran poorly that day but Stan Drayton told him to not worry, they're well aware of how fast he is.

Fast he is, with consistent 10.6 100 meter speed. Incredibly, he ran a 10.67 in mid-February which is very early in the track season.

At a compact 5-foot-8, 185 pounds, he reminds stylistically of JK Dobbins. Random, but interesting, JK's late father, Lawrence, won the 1998 3A state 100 meter finals with a 10.66. The fastest time I found for JK as a sophomore was low 10.9s. Reminder: this is simply a stylistic comparison, and JK was special on and off the field in ways very few are, but the body type is similar as is the explosiveness. Dobbins lateral quickness is a differentiator.

As far as the offer, I was told "this is the one he has been working for all summer."

Jordan also likes Utah who offered about five minutes after I told them about him. I did that because I wanted their evaluation. A quick offer from the Utes typically means the player is going to blow up. Texas doesn't get trigger-happy to offer the class ahead so it appears they really like what they see too. That's another data point.

At this point it's safe to say the Horns are the team to beat but he's going to have a big year before he turns even more heads on the track. One goal of Jordan's is to be the fastest running back in the nation.

BRYSON WASHINGTON

After recently moving back to Texas, 2020 Houston C.E. King S Bryson Washington put the Longhorns along with Texas A&M as the in-state competition for his signature.

His reason for including the Longhorns was pure Texan.

“I like Texas because it’s more family oriented,” Washington said. “It’s a nice community, the school is beautiful, the sites around here are amazing, and I just love the country thing. It’s my thing.”

Washington was able to work with Craig Naivar throughout the camp.

After dropping his top ten, Washington made it sound like all of his remaining finalists had an equal chance adding “I’m thinking about everything right now.”

This was Washington’s last visit/camp of the summer before his high school season begins.

JAYLON JONES

The most athletic display put on at a football camp came on a basketball goal.

2020 Cibolo Steele CB Jaylon Jones easily cleared one person on a dunk attempt, so he decided to make things more difficult and add two more people. No problem.

“I dunk on people all the time when I’m playing pickup games, Jones said Saturday. “I knew I could jump over three people.”

Jones camped with Texas in late June, then camped again on Friday. In both visits, Texas was able to do something to stand out.

“The tradition and culture that Texas has is amazing,” Jones said. “I just had a fun time every single time I go up there. I had a really good time last night.”

Jones’ mother and father accompanied him to the camp, and one of them has been with Jaylon during his visits this summer. In speaking with them, they recognize the importance of what an education can provide after football, and Jaylon does as well.

The entire family was able to spend time with corners coach Jason Washington on Friday, including meeting Washington’s family. Washington not only made Jones’ parents feel welcome, but he connected with Jones as well.

“I look at him as a good role model and a good guy to talk to,” Jones said. “He’s a really good coach to be around. He knows what he’s doing.”

Jones visited Baylor on Sunday, but at this point his attention is on the success of Steele Knight football, with recruiting behind that.

“Main focus is getting to state and winning it all,” Jones said.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

MALIK HORNSBY ON THE RANGE

Malik Hornsby will soon make it public what high school he'll be representing this upcoming season. Prevailing wisdom says Fort Bend Austin. This step up in competition will do his development wonders and it will also give evaluators a clearer sense of what he'll become on the next level.

We know he's an athlete and we know he has a big arm. He also appears to be a tireless worker. He didn't have to camp at Texas -- he already holds an offer -- but he did anyway.

After the camp Joe and I caught up with him. He gave a lot of one-word responses.

The big question is whether or not he's concerned Texas already has a quarterback in the class. He says he's not and the staff has made no secret about wanting two. Here's the rest.

On how he fits in the offense:
"I think I fit well if I come here. I'll fit really well. I guess they build the offense around the quarterback."

What type of offense does he want to play in:
"I just want to take over. Put the ball in my hands and let me go win."

The best thing about visiting Texas:
"Home. It's home."

What he showed at camp:
"Showed them I can put great ball placement. That's it."

It's early but any schools standing out?
"I'm looking at all schools. I give my attention to all schools. No one is really leading."

What he's looking for:
"I want a place that feels like home. Good food, good eating. Some place I'm comfortable."

Favorite recent quarterbacks:
"Mariota, Marcus Mariota. Deshaun Watson, that's my idol, that's me. And my main man Lamar Jackson."

Where he sees himself in 10 years:
"Ten years from now, I see myself being an engineer. That's what I'm going to school for, mathematics and engineering. My dream is, if I do make it big, come back to my hometown of Houston and build a Boys and Girls Club with a football facility."

2020 APB PICKS UP COVETED OFFER

West Mesquite running back, Ty Jordan, was offered after the coaches saw him perform at camp. This was actually the second time Jordan camped for Texas as he made the drive to Houston to workout in front of Texas coaches. He ran poorly that day but Stan Drayton told him to not worry, they're well aware of how fast he is.

Fast he is, with consistent 10.6 100 meter speed. Incredibly, he ran a 10.67 in mid-February which is very early in the track season.

At a compact 5-foot-8, 185 pounds, he reminds stylistically of JK Dobbins. Random, but interesting, JK's late father, Lawrence, won the 1998 3A state 100 meter finals with a 10.66. The fastest time I found for JK as a sophomore was low 10.9s. Reminder: this is simply a stylistic comparison, and JK was special on and off the field in ways very few are, but the body type is similar as is the explosiveness. Dobbins lateral quickness is a differentiator.

As far as the offer, I was told "this is the one he has been working for all summer."

Jordan also likes Utah who offered about five minutes after I told them about him. I did that because I wanted their evaluation. A quick offer from the Utes typically means the player is going to blow up. Texas doesn't get trigger-happy to offer the class ahead so it appears they really like what they see too. That's another data point.

At this point it's safe to say the Horns are the team to beat but he's going to have a big year before he turns even more heads on the track. One goal of Jordan's is to be the fastest running back in the nation.

BRYSON WASHINGTON

After recently moving back to Texas, 2020 Houston C.E. King S Bryson Washington put the Longhorns along with Texas A&M as the in-state competition for his signature.

His reason for including the Longhorns was pure Texan.

“I like Texas because it’s more family oriented,” Washington said. “It’s a nice community, the school is beautiful, the sites around here are amazing, and I just love the country thing. It’s my thing.”

Washington was able to work with Craig Naivar throughout the camp.

After dropping his top ten, Washington made it sound like all of his remaining finalists had an equal chance adding “I’m thinking about everything right now.”

This was Washington’s last visit/camp of the summer before his high school season begins.

JAYLON JONES

The most athletic display put on at a football camp came on a basketball goal.

2020 Cibolo Steele CB Jaylon Jones easily cleared one person on a dunk attempt, so he decided to make things more difficult and add two more people. No problem.

“I dunk on people all the time when I’m playing pickup games, Jones said Saturday. “I knew I could jump over three people.”

Jones camped with Texas in late June, then camped again on Friday. In both visits, Texas was able to do something to stand out.

“The tradition and culture that Texas has is amazing,” Jones said. “I just had a fun time every single time I go up there. I had a really good time last night.”

Jones’ mother and father accompanied him to the camp, and one of them has been with Jaylon during his visits this summer. In speaking with them, they recognize the importance of what an education can provide after football, and Jaylon does as well.

The entire family was able to spend time with corners coach Jason Washington on Friday, including meeting Washington’s family. Washington not only made Jones’ parents feel welcome, but he connected with Jones as well.

“I look at him as a good role model and a good guy to talk to,” Jones said. “He’s a really good coach to be around. He knows what he’s doing.”

Jones visited Baylor on Sunday, but at this point his attention is on the success of Steele Knight football, with recruiting behind that.

“Main focus is getting to state and winning it all,” Jones said.

If Malik Hornsby finishes with a degree in engineering, I'll pay for the Boys & Girls Club with a football facility myself. 

• Like 1

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-monday-july-30th/

Some contradictory info on Hornsby. I think Baizer's snippet was posted just after Stars at Night, and Super K's came later in the day (presumably after he visited A&M).

Quick Hitters | Star at Night
– Will Baizer

– At 4pm the recruits were given tours of the campus and meetings with coaches took place. Then during the camp, they ran 1v1 drills. Then the fun started with a dunk contest, dodgeball, and a water balloon fight. Sounds fun.

– Texas sent out an offer to 2020 RB Ty Jordan out of West Mesquite. I saw this guys film before he had any offers at all and was immediately impressed. He is very explosive and versatile. He doesn’t lose speed on change of direction which is great. Great offer. Texas is the team to beat here by far.

– Texas is back in the drivers seat with 2020 QB Malik Hornsby. However, he is visiting Texas A&M again today. This recruitment will be that rivalry recruitment for 2020.

-2020 CB Jalen Kimber was the last guy out of Moncrief. He took a tour and had long meetings with Jason Washington. They will be waiting to see the game film, but they like what they see in him.

-Texas really took a big step with 2020 CB Jaylon Jones and his parents. Jason Washington and his wife put in work last night and spent three hours with the Jones family getting to know them and work the relationship. Both A&M and Florida were upset that he made it to Texas instead. Get him talking with Caden Sterns more. Also, the most impressive DB who participated

2020 QB Malik Hornsby | Trending…
– Super K

I’m told he is now trending TAMU and away from Texas. Source cited a couple of primary reason.

***The fact that Texas has a QB already committed in the 2020 class.

***They have a lot of respect for Texas’ 2019 QB commit, Roschon Johnson. It sounds a lot like what we saw with OU and Bryce Young. I know people are quick to say one shouldn’t shy away from competition. But when you’ve got an elite quarterback in the class right above you, it can sometimes seem like the competition isn’t exactly fair given the fact that the older quarterback has an additional year to develop in the system. The fear then becomes, if they land the job and they’re only one year ahead of you, when do you see the field.

While it appeared to be nearly a foregone conclusion that Hornsby would end up at Texas, I’m told that, at the moment, this one is moving in a different direction.

To be honest, the QB Hornsby reminds me of the most is Reggie McNeal, who could have been great if he had gone anywhere but aggy. If Hornsby doesn't want to wait behind RoJo, he really ought to be looking to some school running a legit system. Jimbo's "pro style" is so old school even the pros don't run it anymore. 

43 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

To be honest, the QB Hornsby reminds me of the most is Reggie McNeal, who could have been great if he had gone anywhere but aggy. If Hornsby doesn't want to wait behind RoJo, he really ought to be looking to some school running a legit system. Jimbo's "pro style" is so old school even the pros don't run it anymore. 

This....was thinking that since dipshit Brewster compared him to VY. 

8 minutes ago, Roofle said:

FWIW, I ran into Demond Demas about a week and a half ago at dinner in NYC. We chatted for a bit about UT and he showed me his phone background, which was him in a Texas jersey, so that's kinda encouraging.

Dorsia?

• Like 3

Thoughts on being able to fit both Ty Jordan and Mookie Cooper into this class? They're similar players, although Jordan might be more of an APB, and maybe Mookie can be more of a slot/hback Percy role in this offense?