Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s alright. If his hands are worth a damn, he sounds like Collin Johnson. I’d be interested in seeing what the scouts say about his body type and toughness. 

If you look at the 6-5 wr at the 2018 combine Equinemious St. Brown was the only 1 under 4.5 in 40 and weighed only 214. Other built similarly to Wilson were Allen Lazard from Iowa State and the Tate kid from FSU and they were at 4.55 and 4.68 respectively. That’s a solid time for a kid his size that prob hasn’t been coached on how to fun a 40. His film shows a good bit of short area quickness when compared to Johnson’s film I think.

IT

RB Kendall Milton, Buchanan (Clovis, CA): I mentioned in the Prospect Board that his father, Chris, told me, "Busy spring.. Headed to Texas and Oklahoma in a week." Big news because Milton is a five-star. Chris is pretty connected in football circles and he's heard positives about Drayton as a teacher. He's also held very productive conversations with Coach Drayton. I've mentioned for a while I wouldn't be surprised by Milton ending up at OU, which wouldn't be too terrible (other than having to defend him) because it would help with Jase McClellan. We know this cycle is going to be nuts when it comes to recruiting running backs. Schools need to get in as good of shape with as many as possible and let the chips fall where they may.

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX): I think I mentioned him recently but the post-NSD fog hasn't quite lifted. He's been on fire with offers and picked up one from UT on the 7th.

A couple of quotes from him:

On whether or not he's been hearing much from Texas? "Yes, I've been talking to the corners coach a lot."

Do you plan on visiting? "Yes, I'll be there on the 16th."

How do you feel about the offer? "This one is one of the biggest offers in state for me. I’m blown away in excitement, CANNOT wait to get on campus."

Two types of UT recruiting fans, those who will lament "one of????" and those who like that he capitalized "cannot."

With a solid camp circuit expect Watts to jump into four-star territory.

DB Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Texas is showing a lot of interest in the Arizona stalwart and a visit is a certainty, though not yet set in stone. Lathan's father has a very good friend that lives about 20 minutes outside of Austin. Good enough friends that the Ransoms will stay with said friend when they visit. Always nice to have a little something in your favor.

CB Ethan Pouncey, Winter Park (Winter Park, FL): It's already been a good week and a half for the brother of Texas wide receiver Jordan Pouncey. On January 31st, he picked up an Alabama "offer" and on February 2nd, he picked up Florida. When I talked to him in December he hadn't heard from UT, but had picked up Florida State and Stanford. However, he has recently been in contact with Texas and has been told they're going to start recruiting him.

“I'll definitely take a visit." He also plans to visit Bama, Clemson, Stanford, and Florida. Solid list, solid player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

How the F is trailerParkU always in the running for top tier rbs.  

They are the best team in the Big XII and have been for a while and have won A LOT of football games over the past 10 years. 

Their RBs have produced big numbers in college and been developed and drafted. 

They have a big Sooner fan bases/recruiting bases in SoCal and DFW - both rich with RB talent. 

Their current RB coach is a fucking closer (Boulware is a Horn and a total dick, but he closes). Drayton is a mirage. 

We absolutely have to land a 5-star RB in the '20 class: Evans/Milton/McClellan.  With the depth in this class in addition to our depth chart, there's absolutely no reason to whiff this time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt_tKPzcnJ3574GekIzYh

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m sure it’s been covered. But in the running back game. It has to be a huge selling point that our running back depth chart is basically Ingram and a wr hybrid right?  How the F is trailerParkU always in the running for top tier rbs.  

Looked at objectively, Texas has not been able to feature the RB position yet.  In reality it relates to limitations of the O-Line rather than scheme.  Having a mobile QB enhanced the RB numbers at OSU and UH.  But there are indications that the "QB will take your carries" is being used against us by negative recruiters.  OU already had a good OL heading into the coaching change and spreads it out enough to get good YPC for their RBs.  It's an easy sell.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Would be funny if A&M landed Omeire, and then we upgraded with this guy 

It happened last cycle as well. They took a couple of guys we wanted, so we upgraded with OOS players.

Then they will complain about how we have a higher rated class while simultaneously claiming they run the state.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:
1 hour ago, shnsajax said:
Any RB who knows how to catch shouldn't be worried about Sam or a mobile QB. All of the 2020 guys need to be reminded of Jamaal Charles freshman year.

You mean that one guy that played for us like 15 years and two prior staffs ago? 

Probably why these kids need reminding...

• Like 2

(Scipio Tex) Building A Backer Part II: Blue Chip Busts

In Part I, we learned that 0/12 of the best linebackers in the Big 12 last year were blue chip high school recruits. 

That’s the output part of the equation.

The league fed in a bunch of athletes across the Big 12 and I observed the common characteristics of successful products.

The obvious caution to that data is that the Big 12 doesn’t have a lot of four or five star linebackers to begin with. So let’s examine how the highest ranked linebackers in the state of Texas from 2013-2017, irrespective of college or conference choice, fared in their development.

That's the blue chip input part of the equation.

I’m pulling five years of blue chip data, encompassing 19 highly ranked state of Texas high school linebackers, all ranked in the Texas Top 43 between 2013-2018. Fourteen of them were deep blues — ranked in the Top 20 in-state within their respective year.

The results are instructive.

#8 Mike Mitchell - Ohio State

#15 Deoundrei Davis - Texas

#27 Deon Hollins - UCLA

Commentary:

Mitchell — one of the first true HS SPARQ superstars — was clocked at a 4.4 40, 4.09 shuttle and a 40 inch vertical at 6-4, 216. But his film was very poor. Whyvals ranked him a five star and the #1 recruit in the state of Texas, while I wondered if he was even a take. Mitchell was a divisive recruit on the recruiting boards. He went to Ohio State, quickly transferred to Texas Tech, couldn’t get playing time on bad Raider defenses and left Lubbock to join NAIA Southeastern. 

Part of the 2014 StrongPurge, redshirt freshman D. Davis was kicked off of the team for burglary of a habitation. Last I heard, he was playing at Sam Houston State.

Deon Hollins was an undersized linebacker with nine sacks as a Bruin junior playing in a dedicated pass rush role similar to how OU used Eric Striker. When UCLA installed a more conventional defense, he couldn’t stay on the field and spent his senior season on the pine.

#14 Zach Whitley - UCLA

#18 Otaro Alaka - Texas A&M

#19 Edwin Freeman - Texas

#20 Hoza Scott - various JUCOs

#29 Josh Walker - Texas A&M

#37 T’Kevian Rockwell - Baylor

#43 James David - Baylor

Commentary:

In what was hailed as the state's deepest LB group in some time, only one player hit.

Whitley was dismissed from UCLA not long after arriving and enrolled at Iowa Western JUCO.

Alaka was a good player for the Aggies, starting 38 games. Very physical and tough, but not overly gifted athletically. I believe he'll be a late round NFL pick.

Freeman arrived as a safety/LB hybrid with great quickness and exciting film. He flashed early, got up to 250+ pounds, injured his tricep and fell into the current staff's doghouse. He grad transferred to FIU and had a solid final season.

Hoza Scott was a 19 year old HS senior with baggage. Didn’t graduate high school and cycled through some JUCOs. Bad ranking by evaluators who couldn’t grasp the bigger picture.

Josh Walker was charged with domestic assault in 2016 and never returned to A&M.

T”Kevian Rockwell was a smallish LB who signed with Baylor, went to Blinn, ended up at Grambling. He ran a 10.43 100 meters in HS.

James David was sunk by baggage and grades. Never played.

#1 Malik Jefferson - Texas

#12 Anthony Wheeler - Texas

#36 Cameron Townsend - Texas

Commentary:

Jefferson had a very good junior year after getting some real S&C and structure. Went in the 3rd round of the NFL draft.

Wheeler started 30+ games at Texas, largely because of a lack of other options. Never a natural LB and the film showed that over the course of his career.

Townsend has been a reserve at Texas.

#11 Jeffrey McCulloch - Texas

#12 Erick Fowler - Texas

#13 Dontavious Jackson - Florida State

Commentary:

McCulloch could’ve used a redshirt. OLB recast as a more conventional off ball LB. Senior year will tell the tale.

Fowler was a character/grades issue. His commitment was a boost for the star nerds, but I never thought he’d play here.

Jackson started last year for the Seminoles and was their 2nd leading tackler. His senior season and combine performance will determine his potential draft stock (think late rounds).

#4 Baron Browning - Ohio State

#8 Anthony Hines - Texas A&M

#13 Levi Jones - USC

Commentary:

It’s still early on the 2017 class, but...

Browning is a very talented natural outside linebacker. Ohio State is trying to turn him into a Mike. We’ll see how it pans out.

Hines has had terrible injury luck. Flashed as a freshman starter, but can’t catch a break. I loved him in HS.

Levi Jones was dismissed from USC in November. The three Jones brothers…wow.

Takeaways:
  1. Over a five year period, the bust ratio for state of Texas blue chip backers is alarmingly high. I would argue that only three have panned out so far from a universe of 19 Top 43 recruits. 11 of them were Top 15 super-elites. Of the three that panned, we're looking more at solid to good careers, not great.
  2. The people who evaluate LBs professionally aren’t particularly great at it.
  3. Some pay sites have been particularly bad at it.
  4. The staff has recruited out-of-state LB heavily for very good reason.
  5. Recently, the state of California has generally produced better, more fundamental HS LB play. 2019 is a stark example. I can't explain why.
  6. You're thinking Texas spread adoption explains it, right? Except that the state of Texas has turned out quite a few high achieving low-ranked HS linebackers during this same time period. Same high school ecosystem. So the primary issue is properly identifying successful attributes (as reflected in the rankings) - not ability per se.
  7. The mental evaluation is primary both on and off the field. The number of athletes who bust before their career even starts is remarkable.
  8. Scheme and fit matter a lot.
  9. The desire to recast OLBs as ILBs appears as universal and irresistible as it is often unsuccessful.
Final editorial comment: I believe there has been a significant erosion in the teaching of the position, largely replaced by stunting, single gap, and single task assignments. The magic bullet for good defense against the spread isn't trying to outmatch calls. It's finding players at LB and S who can diagnose, react, adjust and take ownership of the defense within a scheme that allows them some autonomy.

Super K on "negative recruiting":

With Texas hosting their second junior day this upcoming weekend, I wanted to address a bit of a dust up from the last junior day.

There were some rumors and even reports that one particular recruit was not happy with what he perceived to be negative recruiting from the Longhorns.

I did a little digging on this myself and spoke to some people who were either there or new people there and was told that the coaches didn’t say much of anything about Texas A&M or any other school.

Was told that when Sam Ehlinger spoke he did what you might expect an alpha quarterback to do, he said the SEC is overrated, praised living in Austin and said Texas would beat Texas A&M right now if they played.

Pretty mild for former rivals, if you ask me. But it doesn’t sound like the coaches said anything.