Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Huh, @closetojumping and him have different views on the Jordan recruitment.

I said Texas was slowplaying Jordan. Same view there. I’d take Jordan at TB2, though. Not sure what Nahlin or anyone else’s view is there, and don’t really care. This staff is trying to shoot the moon at TB in this cycle and you can all commend them for that, but I don’t see any reason for optimism on them handling TB better than they did last year, frankly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I said Texas was slowplaying Jordan. Same view there. I’d take Jordan at TB2, though. Not sure what Nahlin or anyone else’s view is there, and don’t really care. This staff is trying to shoot the moon at TB in this cycle and you can all commend them for that, but I don’t see any reason for optimism on them handling TB better than they did last year, frankly. 

I think the whole board's from Missouri on Drayton's recruiting chops this cycle. Except @golfclap. He just loves the guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Huh, @closetojumping and him have different views on the Jordan recruitment.

Maybe Texas doesn't see him as a true must-have RB2. First thing I noticed about Jordan in The Opening clips is how small he is, and Mookie fills the scatback/utility WR role just fine for our purposes.

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“It went fine,” Demas said. “I talked to Coach (Corby) Meekins and Coach (Tom) Herman. It did go up and down on a bumpy road, but everything is solved. Everything is okay.

anyone want to speculate what needed to be solved?

FWK's pride. 

• Like 2

I see some pretty egregious shit on here. I certainly understand, and have been victim of, the occasional typo or brain fart. Some grammatical/spelling errors are so bad they’ll make your head explode, though. I sometimes wonder if there’s a “regarded” inside joke I don’t know about. I try not to comment, but I throw up in my mouth a little bit. 

Ezactly

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Dominant is from dominans/ dominantis, an active participle with the meaning of one who dominates. Dominate is from dominatus -a -um, a passive participle meaning one who has been dominated. Deviant is from devians/ deviantis, active participle meaning one who departs from the right way. Deviate is from deviatus -a -um, passive participle meaning one who is separated from the right way. Despite being deponent, dominor is transitive and thus has very different meanings in its active and passive participles. Devio is intransitive and thus allows more easily in this instance for both participles to assume compatible meanings.

Benjamin Franklin did not advocate the turkey as the national bird. He criticized the choice of the bald eagle for the presidential seal and praised the behavioral characteristics of both the fishing hawk and the turkey in his writing on the matter.

Domo arigato, Magis Pedanto 

10 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

this has been looch's particular El Guapo. He cut his teeth in the recruiting business by watergating his previous years' recruiting rankings lists on Texags, while other "services" lists were readily archived for reference. 

While the worst thing to ever happen to him was Vince Young... the second worse thing was the advent of the screen shot. 

nomsnoms_zpsb93e3358.gif

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Turkeys can fly. Wild turkeys anyways.

You are correct. Wild turkeys fly pretty well. Perhaps because they feed on the ground, the myth developed that wild turkeys cannot fly. Then, to add to the confusion, domestic turkeys are bred to be more plump and are fed accordingly. So, domestic don't fly nearly as well as wild ones.

turkey-flight-5897afbd5f9b5874ee7a7555.j

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

I hope we spend the whole time telling Blake Brockermeyer to get his kids down to ATX

When you give a school your former starting QB, then they are likely to work with you on cherry picking top DFW talent while you tell the next tier that SMU is building something special.

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

"dominant" trips up more athletes on Twitter, I sweater God.

13 hours ago, shnsajax said:

For all intensive purposes he is right. 

13 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Should I have used green font?

Defiantly!

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

dominant/dominate is a top 3 annoyance on this board, along with fewer/less and possibly further/farther.  i'm not including loose/lose or your/you're because i'm not a 15 year old girl's instagram account.

Definately!

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Recruiting Q&A: 3/6/19

Reveal hidden contents

Any movement on the grad transfer RB market?

Not today. But they’re watching.

Your take on Demas as of today.

A&M because of his relationship with Dameyune Craig. I'm not ruling out a flip somewhere but A&M has the distinct edge.

Name two or three guys you think will significantly outperform their rating based on your personal eval and gut feel.

For the 2020 class I assume? Stafford OLB Robert Wooten, Henderson WR Caleb Medford (visiting this weekend), Manor RB Tahj Boyd, Tomball C Braedon Nutter

Class size prediction? Willie Tyler affect/effect that? 2star at English

O/U is 23.5. Every scholarship affects the number.

1. Do we have a real shot at Kendall Milton or do you think he will ultimately go somewhere else? 2. If we keep winning and Stanford keeps regressing back to their mean, will we see them being less of a problem with O-line recruits in the (near)future? 3. What’s the word on Beatty joining the staff? Still in contract limbo?

1. Your first question is misleading because they can have a real shot for someone and that player still go elsewhere. Noah Cain for example. Yes, they have a real shot with him but he might go elsewhere. OU's been a concern of mine but McClellan is pretty solid and they might get McGowan. Cheer for them to get McGowan. 2. Jake Majors broke the seal. 3. Still in limbo. Checked Monday.

Why haven't they offered JJ McCarthy???? That kid is jaw-dropping good. Amazing arm. He also seems to run really well, so I think he would work fine in Herman's offense.

Preston. Stone.

Who is gonna be the first domino to fall in this RB class? As far as I know, everyone is waiting until NSD, or am I wrong?

I bet similar to last year they'll want one guy in the boat by the end of summer. Who that would be, I have no idea. Get somebody in the class then you have a bit more breathing room. I'd like to see Jo Marks make the visit he was supposed to make during the season.

Who is the LT of the 2020 class? Garth seems like an interior player unless his arm length is longer than expected; Lindberg is a RT; George, Majors, and Parr are all interior prospects

Lindberg. I think Garth is RT.  Dream OL is Garth-Parr-Majors-George-Lindberg

At this point in time, do the following players have a >50% or <50% of signing with Texas:

Lindberg
    Flowe
    Ringo
    Wilson
    Evans
    Broughton
    Chris Thompson

Lindberg - Good
Flowe - average
Ringo - slightly good
Wilson - above average
Evans - Texas will be in it
Broughton - great
Chris Thompson - good to great

What is Ty Jordan’s timeline?

I’m not sure, but with Mookie on board, it won't be Texas.

I know he’s a 2021 kid and there is forever left in the recruitment, but how does Texas sit with Devon Achane at the moment?

He's 2020. They went after Mookie Cooper. As long as he's committed Achane isn't on the radar. If Mookie continues to take visits I'd push for Achane quite publicly.

Does that ACC grad transfer rb you mentioned wear a different color orange on his current team?

No comment.

Dream 2020 class for skill position players?

Demas, Johnny Wilson, I guess Mookie. Evans and Jo'Quavious Marks (or someone similar quality). Milton obviously but I'm not capable of dreaming that much.. TE -- any good fit

Do you see A&M’s 2019 receivers to have better years than 2018? Lot of catches up for grabs with the TE leaving.

Rogers could be great, needs consistency. Ausbon has the ability. Wright, Chapman could be really good.

Gut feeling: does Broughton drop before the season?

I don't think so.

Who is the top TE on the board and is there a plan for H-back now that henderson committed to OU?

To be determined. It was Walker, before he committed to Okie State.

You have the keys to the kingdom. Who do you prioritize as far as WR? Do you accept a commitment from Johnston today? Kelvontay? You still hold the keys. Do you press for Ty Jordan? Wooten?

Wilson and Demas, but I like JJ Hester too. I wouldn't push for Johnston or Dixon to shut things down right now. When Keaontay runs for 1000 yards this year it's going to be tough to not take his brother, who is legitimately good. I'd gauge Jordan and would keep him warm. Ditto with Wooten because they only need one at his position. B-backer isn't like corner, safety, or WR where you offer a bunch.

Do you accept a commitment from Johnston today? Kelvontay?

I believe Texas would take Quinten Johnston today. Kelvontay and Arkansas might be that route.

I really like Stone. It seems to me that Stone and McCarthy are very similar players, but that McCarthy's arm is better by a significant amount. Do they really like Stone better or is it a thing where they feel good about Stone (I think Stone is great too) and are confident of getting him and don't want to hurt the relationship by recruiting another QB?

Yes, and he’s two hours away. They’ve recruited Stone for two years. That’s a relationship.

Over/under on number of commits Texas will have before the season starts?

if jaquinden really wants to be a qb, and the staff is recruiting him/likes him at qb, is he gonna commit on a qb timeline (meaning...like...earlier than an ath, etc probably would)?

He says at the UA game in Jan. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closer to August either.

Of the players who UT wants that are currently committed to some other school, which ships have likely sailed?

Elias Ricks. Texas is in great standing with most of its priority targets.

Which schools want Ja'Quinden as QB1? I assume that is one of the key factors in his recruitment.

Texas and OU.

Who is the next 2020 commit?

It often depends on the confluence of who is visiting and how hard UT is pushing and whether or not they have leverage. Right now I think I'd guess Josh White but that's a total guess.

Lots of talk about OL and RB grad transfers, but the 2019 roster has another position which could use an experienced solution/upgrade (at least a cleaner projection at that spot): nickel back. Granted, not usually a position that has high rate of transfer due to position flexibility (safety/corner playing time), but is the staff monitoring the portal for potential solutions at this position?

Not really. Look for Josh Thompson and maybe BJ Foster at nickel in 2019.

Does Card know that Texas wants Jackson as QB1?

Texas doesn’t want Jackson as QB1. That’s Card. Card also knows Texas is taking JQJ at ATH as much as QB.

Where does Troy Omeire fit? Backup to either Demas or Wilson?

They would take him right now, but his position is X, same as Wilson. Demas can play X or Z.

Is Mookie a better prospect than Taye Barber?

To everybody but @malaise. (???)

Any of the 5 stars have a timeline before NSD? Wilson, Flowe, Ringo, etc.

I'm not sure on Wilson. I don't see Flowe, Ringo, Evans shutting things down before December.

Anything on the OL from Edinburg, TX?

2020 OL recruiting is tough if you’re an offensive linemen in-state and want to play at Texas. Next tier, IMO.

Wow. It seems like all of the recruits i have paid the most attention have later timelines or we are trying to keep warm.

The more Texas starts to fill up the more leverage it will have. Guys who could announce during the summer (or before): Ryan Watts, Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson, Chad Lindberg, Jalen Kimber, Josh White, Quentin Johnson, Troy Omeire, Alfred Collins, Prince Dorbah, Xavion Alford, Bryson Washington, Jahari Rogers (probably for OU), Kitan Crawford, etc. I think you're only paying attention to five-stars and OOS players

Sooooooo I’ve been meaning to bring this up but with our lack of bigger volume carry RBs on the depth chart along with now having guys like Whittington Smith and maybe Mookie on the roster would it make more sense to target a guy like Tahj Brooks instead of Ty Jordan? I think Brooks is crazy underrated and would set a great floor for our RB class.

I wouldn't figure in Smith and Mookie at RB in any material way. I'd go with the two best RB's period and not try and find a thunder and lightning package or whatever. I like Brooks a lot and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the NFL. I always liked his tape and then he tested well this past weekend. He has my interest too.

How do you view Mond? How high is his ceiling? Who is a good comp?

He's solid and will be above average next year. If they get him more consistently accurate he'll be good. Not as a strong an arm, but Jake Locker. Holy s*** was the NFL stupid when it came to him.

Will we get several more "top 25" in state kids than we did in 2019 and still have a great out of state group in 2020? Hook'em

Definitely. Here's my top 25. They look good for a lot of these guys. I'd have Kimber in there too.

I assume Alford and Washington can commit at any moment. Which CB other than Ringo can do the same? Kimber?

Yep.

What are you hearing about Tosh Baker? Will he be the backup option if Lindberg chooses Stanford or Clemson?

Texas loves Tosh. They have the five in sight; Parr, Majors, Garth, Lindberg, and George. Baker would be next up, I believe.

Since you have more experience with recruits than any on this board, what influence has aggy had promoting the SEC? After 7 years of aggy boasting about it, does the SEC actually have any sway over the school itself?

The SEC has so much sway they allowed Texas to ink back-to-back Top 3 classes while holding up a Georgia Bulldog flag in CS.

Is there any position grouping you’re worried about in 2020?

I’m most concerned about the position you omitted: LB. QB depth concerns me, ditto RB. OL, WR, and TE will be fine.. I’m not concerned by DL or S. CB and N is a mild concern.

You must be banking on Ingram/Whit? Because I think he could run for 500 with ease

Maybe so. Maybe it comes down to sack totals. I don’t care what his stats are. We already know he’s an effective runner. I’d be fine with seeing him run much less vs some teams and much more vs others.

True/False - Long term impact and program fit.

Wooten>Dorbah
    Watts>Crawford
    Kimber>Watts
    Rogers>Watts
    Crawford>Rogers
    Alford>Washington
    Josh Braun at Guard>Parr or Majors at Guard
    Josh Braun>George
    Evans>Milton
    McLellan>Milton
    Alec Bryant>Princely
    Johnston>Omeire
    White>Flagg
    Ransom>Thompson

If Ty Jordan wanted to commit tomorrow, does Tom take the commit or try to slow him down?

Wooten>Dorbah FALSE
Watts>Crawford PUSH
Kimber>Watts TRUE
Rogers>Watts PUSH
Crawford>Rogers PUSH
Alford>Washington FALSE
Josh Braun>George PUSH
Evans>Milton TRUE
McLellan>Milton PUSH
Alec Bryant>Princely FALSE
Johnston>Omeire FALSE
White>Flagg TRUE
Ransom>Thompson PUSH

Of note, it’s March. I’d like to see more this spring/summer and in their senior years. When Mookie committed, Jordan’s opportunity became less likely. But you maintain the relationship because it’s recruiting.

Gut feeling on Mookie...Does his commitment stick? Why is he all of a sudden getting itchy feet to visit other schools? Buyer's remorse over his commitments?

Sticks. His relationship with Marcus Washington and Bryan Carrington helps UT. He’s not ichy to visit, he’s a 17-year old recruit that is enjoying his recruitment. Texas isn’t worried.

When y'all talk to recruits, especially top level recruits, do they seem to have a grasp on the idea that they can influence a great many things in other peoples' recruitments? Meaning, if Evans wants to play with his boy and play behind a monster line, he could commit and essentially make that happen. In addition, he could convince a lot of other top guys (Demas, etc) that the Capitol is lit. I know that lots of kids want to use this process as their first chance to see other parts of the country, but I wonder why more don't see themselves as bell cows that could ensure they're playing for championships. Waiting until the end of the process doesn't help anyone, including the recruit. Sure, you might say that a coach might leave....Ok, well then back out and don't sign with that school. But, to commit early and orchestrate the entire class.....That seems like a no brainer for elite guys that want to win big.

Players with sway definitely realize this. Even Malik told me after he committed he wished he'd committed sooner so he had more time to help put the class together. If I was, say, Chad Lindberg, and I had a good feeling UT was going to be the spot, I'd make sure and commit before the season for the very reasons you state. That gives him enough time to make a thorough decision, enjoy the process a bit, and still help recruit. Most important for the kids is to make a decision they're comfortable with and that's different for each one.

Any recruit you’re impressed with that Texas is not in the mix for?

LB/TE Drew Sanders, WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, OL Courtland Ford

You like Milton a lot. Think I will rewatch his Hudl. Anything else available to see? What are our chances with Ransom? I liked his tape best out of the safety tape I have seen.

I think Braun's upside is easily higher than Parr's and Major's and I was the guy who beat the drum for Majors. My call on Milton over McClellan is a mental eval call. The two aren't close in that regard. Texas will get a bounce in the Ransom recruitment after he visits, from there it's all about building the momentum. That one could come down to UT/Notre Dame.

What was your favorite recruitment of 2019? Which one do you look forward to most for 2020? And which one are you already dreading?

Favorite recruitment of 2019? Bru McCoy. Overall, most of the guys UT signed were low drama. I'll take that at my advanced age. For 2020 I look forward to Vernon Broughton for a few reasons. It should go UT's way, he's a fun kid with tons of talent, and my early predictions of him being a five-star should gradually crystallize. I've been dreading Zach Evans and not through any fault of his own. It's just going to be a huge circus and even though I have good sources on all sides of it the bigger the circus the more I have to nail the story. With so many twists and turns it's going to be a difficult one. Bonus: For 2021: Looking forward to the most: The Brockermeyers. For 2021: Looking forward to the least: Too early. Tunmise Adeleye could be all over the map but I like UT long-term.

(1) are we likely to take a RB2 first and then wait for a RB1, or do we keep the deck clear until we get a RB1? (2) what is the likelihood we get shut out at RB1 this class?

1) I could see them trying to have a running back locked up late summer so as to cover their backside, similar to last year with Derrian Brown while pursuing Noah Cain. But, most of the players they're after are RB1s in a normal cycle so they may just take what they can get when they can get it. 2) It depends on who you're discussing but I think they land one of Evans, Milton, or McClellan. I stated earlier I like Evans vs any other individual school but I would still take the field. Milton will return with his father and that will help UT's cause. UT will need help from other schools cracking McClellan loose from OU.

When would offering James Brock be too early? You've been on the pair since their Adam's Apples first sprouted, what's your take on his growth as a C prospect?

I wrote yesterday I'd offer him now. I'm not faulting the staff or anything like that, I'm sure they have everything under control, or will soon, but to me it's a foregone conclusion he's going to be a Texas-level player so why wait? I'd try to lock them up ASAP.

If we miss on Dorbah, (which doesn't seem super likely, but still) would the staff go after another B-backer type like Wooten, or maybe Sylvester, or change course and just use the spot for a defensive PBA?

They like Wooten. Sylvester would be a d-end. They also like this LB Moore kid from Amarillo Tascosa. Somebody mentioned him in the PB and I hit him up. Interesting guy.

What's the timeline for finding out about Bru's eligibility this year?

Doesn’t exist. Hopefully before La Tech.

Tosh Baker or Damieon George?

Depends... where is Zach Evans going??

Is ️McGlothern a take?

No.

Texas is in the market for a grad transfer at RB? I like that Tavien Feaster is on the radar. He's a beast and would kick ass at Texas, if he decides to transfer... 

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Texas is in the market for a grad transfer at RB? I like that Tavien Feaster is on the radar. He's a beast and would kick ass at Texas, if he decides to transfer... 

Yes. Please cheer for him to get passed up again on the depth chart in the spring. It's a win-win, really.

Edited by texifornia

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yes. Please cheer for him to get passed up again on the depth chart in the spring. It's a win-win, really.

He's one I actually really want to transfer, because he's too damn good not to get more carries, and he deserves a chance to showcase his abilities. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't entered the portal yet... 

19 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I can't imagine how often "Tavien Feaster" would be misspelled on this board.

2 hours ago, CBHorn said:

Turkeys can fly. Wild turkeys anyways.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You are correct. Wild turkeys fly pretty well. Perhaps because they feed on the ground, the myth developed that wild turkeys cannot fly. Then, to add to the confusion, domestic turkeys are bred to be more plump and are fed accordingly. So, domestic don't fly nearly as well as wild ones.

turkey-flight-5897afbd5f9b5874ee7a7555.j

“Baby, if you ever wondered,

Wondered whatever became of me,

I’m livin’ on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati

WKRP”

Perhaps the single greatest episode in sitcom history and it looks like you guys have never seen it. That’s too bad.

• Like 1

Go Lake! Beat Creek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see fellow Clear Lake fans around here. I went there for a couple of years before transferring to TAMS, which doesn’t have sports, and my mom still lives in the area. I hope Lake produces a recruit for UT one day but I doubt it. I’ll remain hopefully optimistic. IIRC Rian Davis from 2019 attended Lake for a couple of years and then transferred out. Seems like anyone who’s any good at football leaves when they get a chance. Maybe we’ll have our own Lindberg one day. I’ll remain optimistic on this one.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

Nice to see fellow Clear Lake fans around here. I went there for a couple of years before transferring to TAMS, which doesn’t have sports, and my mom still lives in the area. I hope Lake produces a recruit for UT one day but I doubt it. I’ll remain hopefully optimistic. IIRC Rian Davis from 2019 attended Lake for a couple of years and then transferred out. Seems like anyone who’s any good at football leaves when they get a chance. Maybe we’ll have our own Lindberg one day. I’ll remain optimistic on this one.

Lake was a power in the 80’s and 90’s before the new schools were built. Best player in any sport I ever played against played football for Lake in the 90’s. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lake was a power in the 80’s and 90’s before the new schools were built. Best player in any sport I ever played against played football for Lake in the 90’s. 

"And that player was actually myself, before I blew out my knee."--CTJ, probably.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Our best center evar, Beau Baker, was a Falcon. If he hadn’t been injured during the 2001 CCG, I’m sure everything would’ve turned out much differently.

Ronnie Milton (the black Jared Lorenzen)?

I don’t know about “a power” but they were pretty damn good. A Top 10 greater Houston area program, but they never got too deep into the playoffs b/c of all the other great Houston area programs.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

WKRP”

Perhaps the single greatest episode in sitcom history and it looks like you guys have never seen it. That’s too bad.

The WKRP turkey episode and the Cheers episode where Cliff Clavin is on Jeapordy are at the top of my list.  Both are classics. 

Didn't McKinney play for them in the 90s?  

Steve McKinney was a DE there during some of their best years. His little brother Seth (OL) was a freshman there but transferred to Westlake, I think after his dad got whatever state gov’t job he had. Sec of State? I think Seth had the better pro career of the two.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

WKRP”

tenor.gif?itemid=12892945

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The WKRP turkey episode and the Cheers episode where Cliff Clavin is on Jeapordy are at the top of my list.  Both are classics. 

Mine was the time when Loni Anderson and the gal with the glasses had a very hot make-out session when they were working late and alone in the office. It's weird how nobody else besides me seems to remember it. Yet my recollection is still so vivid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

You’re all forgetting about the great Dustin Hopkins, a proud Clear Lake graduate and current placekicker for the Redskins

Different sport, but can't believe y'all are ignoring the greatest Longhorn legend from the Lake.

Image result for connor atchley

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2