Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I wonder if it's Illinois. They took Shammond Cooper from STL last year, and like us they're fighting for a pipeline into the area.

Plus it's right on the heels of his visit there.

They have a staff member who coached at Trinity and has real pull in that community.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I wonder if it's Illinois. They took Shammond Cooper from STL last year, and like us they're fighting for a pipeline into the area.

Plus it's right on the heels of his visit there.

If he does decommit, I wouldn't expect him to sign with Illinois. Another four win season won't be a good look for them.

E.J. Holland: Four-star WR Troy Omeire looking forward to Texas visit

Texas is set to host a huge target this weekend. Four-star Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire will be on campus for a couple of days and is looking forward to his time on the Forty Acres. “I’m really going to spend time with the coaches,” Omeire said. “I’m going to spend the night there, so I’m going to see how the are and everything like that. I just want to get a really good look at everything there.”

Going into the visit, Texas is high on Omeire’s mind along with Oklahoma and Texas A&M. For Omeire, staying close to home is a huge factor in his recruitment. And it’s a big reason why UT is a major player. “Texas is one of my top three schools,” Omeire said. “I really want to stay close to my mom, so I’m looking at schools closer to home. I love the coaches. The players are great, too.”

As Omeire mentioned, bonding with the Texas staff is his top priority for the weekend. But it’s safe to say he already has a strong relationship with Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, who was last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year. “Coach Mehringer is real with me,” Omeire said. “He teaches me how to use my frame. He has guys like me. It definitely impresses me how he uses big receivers and how they put LJ (Lil’Jordan Humphrey) in the draft.”

Omeire is looking to make a decision in the summer. At 6-foot-4, 217 pounds, Omeire is ranked as the No. 15 wide receiver and No. 72 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

I honestly can’t remember the last time Illinois fielded a good team. Any notable NFL players or college greats in the last decade from there?  Wonder what the pitch is other than stay at home?

His old college coach is coaching at Illinois and a few of his teammates are going there. Some guys I can think of from Illinois in the NFL would be Corey Liuget, Whitney Merculls, Geronimo Allison, Tavon Wilson and Jeff Allen. Those are just some guys I can think of playing recently in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah let's just take all the guys that are easy. I'm sure that wouldn't lead to a Mack 2.0 situation.

People that don't like drama shouldn't get too invested in recruiting. You can't land elite classes without it.

There’s a difference between a Bru recruitment and a Jordan Elliott recruitment. Neither was easy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

His old college coach is coaching at Illinois and a few of his teammates are going there. Some guys I can think of from Illinois in the NFL would be Corey Liuget, Whitney Merculls, Geronimo Allison, Tavon Wilson and Jeff Allen. Those are just some guys I can think of playing recently in the NFL.

Juice Williams and Rashard Mendenhall took them to a Rose Bowl not too long ago. Not sure if Williams made it to the league but I know Mendenhall did.