Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I get it, but rivals will still say Herman and co had 2 years to develop talented recruits (Strong's classes weren't ranked that low by the media) and didn't produce much. Not saying it's right, but some recruits may listen.

Agree that winning games fixes all this though and the 2018 class should produce some high picks 

Winning games and guys making their teams and sticking in the Pros.  

Edited by Mdhorn

25 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Wow, how did Texas beat that SEC Georgia team stacked with NFL talent?  Seems like a good sales pitch.  

Calling attention to the fact that jawja is 'stacked with NFL talent' is not a good sales pitch, regardless of 28-21. Getting drafted high and making good $$$ is what the top recruits ultimately care about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Calling attention to the fact that jawja is 'stacked with NFL talent' is not a good sales pitch, regardless of 28-21. Getting drafted high and making good $$$ is what the top recruits ultimately care about.

Those recruits will be well aware of it from negative recruiting.  You really have a good idea to just hope they haven’t heard.  Glad Tom is handling this and not Debbie Downer.   But you be you.  

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

So you guys are complaining that Charlie Strong didn’t recruit early round NFL draft caliber players? Hmm, maybe we should fire him..

Edited by Nope
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

How many fucking aggy's were drafted from a team that was a few plays and some timely ref calls away from barely being bowl eligible. The NFL sucks donkey dick and part of the reason is because they can't see their tiny peens from behind all that 'tradition'. A league that keeps Jeff Fisher around for decades can't be filled with too many sharp minds. It will take us winning big or another Poona or two coming out of this year's UDFA class to wag the dog back in favor of our guys.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

This. Some of you guys are delusional if you think winning trumps making it to the league to recruits.

There were 160 players drafted before a Longhorn this year, many of them coming from worse situations than the current one at UT. Remember Sheldrick Redwine? He had 3 HC's at Miami. He was drafted before all our higher ranked DB's. Sioux Falls, Old Dominion, Delaware, Charlotte, Alabama State are just of the inferior schools that had players drafted in the first three rounds.

Three years out from Strong's departure, I don't think it's asking much to develop one or two of the 2020 guys into Day 1/2 picks.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 7

13 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

This. Some of you guys are delusional if you think winning trumps making it to the league to recruits.

There were 160 players drafted before a Longhorn this year, many of them coming from worse situations than the current one at UT. Remember Sheldrick Redwine? He had 3 HC's at Miami. He was drafted before all our higher ranked DB's. Sioux Falls, Old Dominion, Delaware, Charlotte, Alabama State are just of the inferior schools that had players drafted in the first three rounds.

Three years out from Strong's departure, I don't think it's asking much to develop one or two of the 2020 guys into Day 1/2 picks.

I get the feeling that people see winning 10 games with few draftable upperclassmen as a positive for the 2019 season/testament to the coaching quality, not necessarily recruiting. Also, you're right that Redwine had three head coaches, but one of them was an interim. Of course you know that, but you're a pessimist who enjoys wallowing in misery. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I get the feeling that people see winning 10 games with few draftable upperclassmen as a positive for the 2019 season/testament to the coaching quality, not necessarily recruiting. Also, you're right that Redwine had three head coaches, but one of them was an interim. Of course you know that, but you're a pessimist who enjoys wallowing in misery. 

Bruh Man used to watch Alabama videos that utilized speed ramps and effects from MTV cribs and complain about how our videos production value could affect recruiting. He looks for storm clouds. 

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

50 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

You are the poster you quoted. A bleeding vagina on this board. 

You were all sunshine when Charlie was here, but now that we have an actual football coach, all you do so bitch and moan. The program is in a much better place than when Charlie was here and yet you can’t find a shred of optimism unlike how you could when the worst coach in Texas history was in charge.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Oh yeah? Then why don’t you talk about that during the season instead of wondering if A&M winning a game is going to hurt our “momentum.” 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You are the poster you quoted. A bleeding vagina on this board. 

You were all sunshine when Charlie was here, but now that we have an actual football coach, all you do so bitch and moan. The program is in a much better place than when Charlie was here and yet you can’t find a shred of optimism unlike how you could when the worst coach in Texas history was in charge.

tenor.gif?itemid=5043510

I bitched and moaned when Strong was here too. 

Edited by Bruh Man

9 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

Weren't you the guy with a stick up his ass lecturing us about how there are no "moral victories" and the only thing that mattered was winning games so how dare we discuss anything else? Now winning games doesn't matter either. Goal posts moved.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, George Clooney said:

There are always weird decisions in the draft. Butler is better than Arcega-Whiteside in my mind, but was picked more than a full round later.

The NFL has been moving to shorter, quicker wideouts for a while now. 3 cone and short shuttle are just as important as 40. Butler doesn’t have much wiggle. 

9 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It all started with the Patriot's little hobbits schooling the big bad Seahawk's DBs in the SB. 

And it’s facilitated by the rules not allowing hitting anymore.  Back in my day those little hobbits would be separated from their helmets and the ball on a lot of those little in routes   

On 4/27/2019 at 9:03 PM, rickyspub said:

How many fucking aggy's were drafted from a team that was a few plays and some timely ref calls away from barely being bowl eligible. The NFL sucks donkey dick and part of the reason is because they can't see their tiny peens from behind all that 'tradition'. A league that keeps Jeff Fisher around for decades can't be filled with too many sharp minds. It will take us winning big or another Poona or two coming out of this year's UDFA class to wag the dog back in favor of our guys.

so aggy is beating their chests over their coaches wasting talented players? got it.

Now that the draft is over...it is worth looking at conference comparisons...

SEC: 64 ~4.57 per team
Alabama (10)
Georgia (7)
Texas A&M (7)
Auburn (6)
Ole Miss (6)
Florida (5)
Kentucky (5)
Miss St (5)
LSU (3)
So Carolina (3)
Arkansas (3)
Missouri (2)
Vandy (2)
Tennessee (0)
SEC West bolded.

7 SEC West Teams: 40 drafted. ~5.7 players per team
Alabama (10)
Texas A&M (7)
Auburn (6)
Ole Miss (6)
Miss St (5)
LSU (3)
Arkansas (3)

BigXII: 26 Drafted in the BDF = 2.6 per team

OU (8)
W Va (5)
TCU (3)
Iowa St (2)
K-State (2)
Okie State (2):
Texas (2):
Tech (1)
Baylor (1)
Kansas (0)

OU with almost 1/3 picks from the BXII. Add WVa, and that is HALF of their NFL picks.
Some clown on texags posted this.  I'm sure they will be buying ads at the Austin airport to brag about it.  I'm not sure more than 2 of those aggy draftees will be around by the time the first game is played.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Some clown on texags posted this.  I'm sure they will be buying ads at the Austin airport to brag about it.  I'm not sure more than 2 of those aggy draftees will be around by the time the first game is played.

I think both Keke and Sternberger will make my Packers opening day roster.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, Neonmoon said:

We will lucky to have more than 1 or 2 people drafted. 

Collin Johnson and Brandon Jones but both will be very late rounds. WR just don’t have the value anymore, and Jones will need a big year. 

I think Jones will go high; 2nd or 3rd round. He's going to test really well. 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, George Clooney said:

I disagree on Johnson; I think he'll be picked in the first four rounds.

Tall slow WRs don't get drafted high anymore. This was evident a couple of years ago when Equanimeous St. Brown, Auden Tate, Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, and Marcell Ateman all fell in the same draft

I think Arcega-Whiteside is different, as he's ridiculously physical

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

What kind of 40 does CJ run? Can't possibly be as slow as LJH's. If he gets to at least mid 4.5's, he should be ok, but I don't remember what his time range was.

There's no way he gets into the 4.5s. He looks like a 4.7s guy. 

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Tall slow WRs don't get drafted high anymore. This was evident a couple of years ago when Equanimeous St. Brown, Auden Tate, Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, and Marcell Ateman all fell in the same draft

I think Arcega-Whiteside is different, as he's ridiculously physical

Arcega-Whiteside supposedly ran a 4.49 at his pro day, which sounds like bullshit, but that's why big guys should run at their pro days and not at the combine.

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

LJH was literally the only guy at the combine this year who didn't break 4.7. If Collin can't do that either, he honestly shouldn't run.

I'm pretty sure scouts already know that he's not going to run a fast 40

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

What kind of 40 does CJ run? Can't possibly be as slow as LJH's. If he gets to at least mid 4.5's, he should be ok, but I don't remember what his time range was.

If he improves his play on the field from last year and can run a 4.6, then he’ll get drafted in the first 3-4 rounds.  The only reason to run at the combine or pro-day is if he’s 100% sure he can run under 4.6 and a 4.5 could push him into the 2nd round.

If LJH didn’t run due to an “undisclosed injury”, he would have probably been a 4-5th rounder just based on film. His film showed quickness and strength...his testing showed horrible quickness and strength.  

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Clint Buckley sounds like an aggy name. 

Clint Buckley is an East Texas guy -- 

From 247:  "Clint joins Horns247 after spending the previous six years as managing editor of East Texas Sports Network (ETSN.fm).  With ETSN, Buckley oversaw the coverage of more than 100 high schools in East Texas.  He covered multiple state championships games in several sports during his time at ETSN. Before that, Buckley was a sports writer at the Tyler Morning Telegraph from 2001-2012. Buckley, a native of Tyler, Texas, is a 2008 graduate of the University of Texas at Tyler where he majored in journalism"

Kind of odd -- Worked at Telegraph 2001-2012 and graduated UT-Tyler 2008???