Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Herman isn't the block there. He almost went to LSU for Christ's sake.

I am well aware the decision with regards to bagmen isn’t up to Herman. But he has to beware of  the fact that he has a major disadvantage when it comes to recruiting against the current elite programs and he only exacerbates this issue by having shitty recruiters on his staff.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Guest SWC's Ghost
1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

I am well aware the decision with regards to bagmen isn’t up to Herman. But he has to beware of  the fact that he has a major disadvantage when it come to recruiting against the current elite programs and he only exacerbates this issue by having shitty recruiters on his staff.

Bad recruiter but good developer of talent > Great recruiter but poor developer of talent.  Ok St. has been kicking our tail with less for awile.  Players with the better attitudes will gravitate toward results after time.  The slick salesman with no results will get fired.  I'll take the former.  Let's wait til December to rock the boat.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone that spins that miss in any way should be negged into a banning, and then hunted down offline, wrapped in a burlap sack, and beaten with reeds for their insolence. 

We crowdsourced one of those guys already, and then you berated the board for it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There is a lot of recent bullshit in this thread. 

It was also Drayton’s choice to take Carter over Benjamin.

Anyone that spins that miss in any way should be negged into a banning, and then hunted down offline, wrapped in a burlap sack, and beaten with reeds for their insolence. 

Point one, I'm glad to see Eno having success, great kid who waited and waited on UT.

Point two, this is why I love Surly.

Edited by Thiefery
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We crowdsourced one of those guys already, and then you berated the board for it.

It’s not I like a sent a strongly worded letter to HR or something. I also didn’t pay much attention to his posts, so if he was spinning the loss of Broughton, well, perhaps he learned himself a lesson or something. 

Edited by closetojumping

Guest SWC's Ghost

Some of the posters at OB's warned me about the high levels of estrogen over here.  A lot of keyboard tough guys, lol.  No room for discussion.  I'll assure you that while you may neg me that you'll never whip my ass. 🤣

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Giles has been covered and if anyone believes that lazy fuck is an excellent coach, they’re doing so out of personal psychological need. 

Some think he's a "plus" coach, and I'm one of them. I said "Plus Plus" once, but I have a tendency of over-complimenting someone before I go in on them, so I'll take that back fast and take any shit I get for having said it. But whether I or you/whoever feel he's a plus coach or developer of talent or not is really immaterial here: the dude cannot recruit worth a shit, and no one's having luck covering for him. You HAVE to be an excellent assistant coach to have any chance of keeping your job on a staff when you suck this bad on the trail, and Giles is not an excellent coach. It can't go unaddressed by Thomas Herman much further.

Agree with everything on Broughton. There's no way to spin losing these last two guys to aggy (one so far, but two on the way), especially when they're about the only 5-star caliber players who are giving you the time of day at that position. I get it, they're good at identifying the lesser-rated talent, but you need to be able to pick off of the top guys tree at some point. 

Edited by UncleBuck

21 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

He was tearing shit up for the Raiders until he went down with a season ending injury.  He had one carry in the USC IIRC and it was better than anything Porter put on tape all year long.  

He was tearing shit up for the Raiders? Wow man let's go get him back!

He wasn't tearing anything up or down for the Longhorns. 

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

I didn't say anything about tossing money around and I'm aware of the rep UGA has at this point.  Just saying I think most would prefer recruiting ability first and foremost and that's clearly not Herman's priority.

You have absolutely no real evidence that recruiting isn't Herman's priority, you're just telling yourself this to feel better.

There's a reason this "Herman doesn't prioritize recruiting, just win bb" take only pops up in times like this.

18 minutes ago, SWC's Ghost said:

Some of the posters at OB's warned me about the high levels of estrogen over here.  A lot of keyboard tough guys, lol.  No room for discussion.  I'll assure you that while you may neg me that you'll never whip my ass. 🤣

Your post:

Boondocks Stinkmeaner GIF - Boondocks Stinkmeaner Triggered GIFs

Surly to SWC/SWC's ghost:

Spank Spanking GIF - Spank Spanking Looneytunes GIFs

Spank Tom And Jerry GIF - Spank TomAndJerry Tom GIFs

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SWC's Ghost said:

Ah, the old "You guys are just internet tough guys but I'm a REAL LIFE tough guy" routine. Classic. Classically laughable. 

What I've never understood is the occasional but inevitable guys that show up from other boards to shit talk this (or any other) board. If that's such a better fit, why don't you just stay the fuck over there? Do people think they're going to swim upstream and win over people who don't share their point of view like switching a television channel? That's not usually how communities work. And why would you want to spend your time with people who share zero points of view as yourself? I left 247 because they are literally the dumbest people I've seen online, it was basically 2k Katy Agnor clones. It was miserable to read and be around, so I left. The only answer to why anyone else wouldn't do the same thing is they're a fucking troll. 

• Like 7

Losing the best DL in the state who's made in a lab for our defense to a defense that he's not as good of a fit for two years in a row will make me assume that we'll lose that type (5* odd front DE) every time going forward, unless he's a legacy; in that event, we'll merely have to sweat it out longer than we should. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Losing the best DL in the state who's made in a lab for our defense to a defense that he's not as good of a fit for two years in a row will make me assume that we'll lose that type (5* odd front DE) every time going forward, unless he's a legacy; in that event, we'll merely have to sweat it out longer than we should. 

You're awfully optimistic on Collins. 

45 minutes ago, SWC's Ghost said:

IDK, I played DL for Aledo and his line of reasoning checks out.  I played a 1 tech.  The guys with OO's body type aren't moved quickly.  He reminds me of Poona and some of the other tree stumps that have played for Texas.

Sure, OO won’t get moved off his spot much, but that’s not what Orlando asks out of his NT. He wants a guy that can penetrate, which is why he moved Oliver to Nose at UH and why Poona was such a great NT. Orlando slants his DL all the time, so he wants quickness and explosiveness out of his DL, which is different than a traditional 3-4. Orlando doesn’t care if he slants his DL the wrong way and gives up a 6 yard run on 1st down, because eventually he’s going to slant the right way and get the offense into 2nd and 3rd and long, so he can pin his ears back and force TOs or get a stop.

OO’s fine as a guy that won’t give ground, but he lacks explosiveness and flexibility. He doesn’t get low in his stance and he’s not very quick off the ball. His HS film is just him standing up high, overpowering smaller/weaker OL. there’s nothing special about that. You can find that anywhere.

What makes a DL elite is someone who can hold his ground and get explosive plays in the backfield. It’s the difference between someone like Keondre Coburn and OO and there’s a huge gap between the two. 

Broughton will play at 300+ and be able to generate explosive plays, which is what makes him special. Saying OO is a better prospect or scheme fit for Orlando’s defense is just flat out wrong.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will admit that this SWC guy appears to be unable to avoid pulling the bookshelf on top of himself, repeatedly. Ooofff. 

Yeah. He was FATWA’d for good reason yesterday, not just cuz he asked for rep, although I’m sure that sped up the process.

Although to keep up with your point yesterday, Spidery2banana did like his post about OO over Broughton. lulz.

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Am I? What are yall hearing? Bama sites hardly even mention him

Well, you consistently have said you think we get him eventually. Perhaps I'm on the other end of the optimism/pessimism scale, but at this point I'm just not taking anything for granted with this staff and the defensive line or running back. I haven't heard him mentioned elsewhere, but I don't look around other sites all that much unless directed form here. What I do hear is that we haven't altered our approach to him, aren't pressing, and are comfortable letting this play out into the fall with no urgency. THAT concerns me. 

I'm interested in seeing if Collins gaining 40 lbs of weight, depending on what kind of weight it is, makes him MORE interesting to 'Bama (or anyone else), or less interesting, as a prospect. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure, OO won’t get moved off his spot much, but that’s not what Orlando asks out of his NT. He wants a guy that can penetrate, which is why he moved Oliver to Nose at UH and why Poona was such a great NT. Orlando slants his DL all the time, so he wants quickness and explosiveness out of his DL, which is different than a traditional 3-4. Orlando doesn’t care if he slants his DL the wrong way and gives up a 6 yard run on 1st down, because eventually he’s going to slant the right way and get the offense into 2nd and 3rd and long, so he can pin his ears back and force TOs or get a stop.

OO’s fine as a guy that won’t give ground, but he lacks explosiveness and flexibility. He doesn’t get low in his stance and he’s not very quick off the ball. His HS film is just him standing up high, overpowering smaller/weaker OL. there’s nothing special about that. You can find that anywhere.

What makes a DL elite is someone who can hold his ground and get explosive plays in the backfield. It’s the difference between someone like Keondre Coburn and OO and there’s a huge gap between the two. 

Broughton will play at 300+ and be able to generate explosive plays, which is what makes him special. Saying OO is a better prospect or scheme fit for Orlando’s defense is just flat out wrong.

As of now.. Sweat will be playing nose, right?  Is he closer to VB than an O squared type?

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, you consistently have said you think we get him eventually. Perhaps I'm on the other end of the optimism/pessimism scale, but at this point I'm just not taking anything for granted with this staff and the defensive line or running back. I haven't heard him mentioned elsewhere, but I don't look around other sites all that much unless directed form here. What I do hear is that we haven't altered our approach to him, aren't pressing, and are comfortable letting this play out into the fall with no urgency. THAT concerns me. 

I'm interested in seeing if Collins gaining 40 lbs of weight, depending on what kind of weight it is, makes him MORE interesting to 'Bama (or anyone else), or less interesting, as a prospect. 

I'm not extremely bullish on this one like I was with a guy like Garth, mostly because it's difficult to have real info from the kid's point of view here, because not only does he not really talk to the media, but he's a quiet kid in general, and doesn't tip his hand much to anyone, even outside of the media. So I'm rolling with fundamentals here; double legacy who lives in town, he visited for every home game but like one last year, no one else seems to be confident in landing him, and odds say that we most likely won't miss on every top target

If I wasn't worried about it at all, I wouldn't be sweating about it

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wow...a well thought out, rational, and exceedingly intelligent post.  You sir, do not belong on Surly...
Now, lets get back to our regularly scheduled, sandy vagina shitposting.

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

As of now.. Sweat will be playing nose, right?  Is he closer to VB than an O squared type?

His junior film was more like OO, but he improved a ton his senior year. He doesn't have the explosivness out of his stance that Broughton does, but I'd say he's closer to Broughton and his development curve from junior to senior year was extremely encouraging. I think he'll probably play DE early with someone like Coburn manning NT, but he could end up a NT before he's done.

• Like 1

Guest SWC's Ghost
51 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Your post:

Boondocks Stinkmeaner GIF - Boondocks Stinkmeaner Triggered GIFs

Surly to SWC/SWC's ghost:

Spank Spanking GIF - Spank Spanking Looneytunes GIFs

Spank Tom And Jerry GIF - Spank TomAndJerry Tom GIFs

Ha ha, you showed me....  keep pumping out the free info..  I'll be here.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is one of the dumbest bullshit I’ve seen. Broughton has versatility to line up all over the line for us and he’s never said he’s only be willing to play DE. It’s just been reported he prefers that scheme, which is a huge difference. That Ox kid is a JAG. You can find other DL just as good as him. 

Ox is actually a good player, not a jag. The Broughton stuff is true, but he is more of a solid, high floor guy than a stud like Leal last year. He is a huge need, though. And Collins is a must for this staff.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ox is actually a good player, not a jag. The Broughton stuff is true, but he is more of a solid, high floor guy than a stud like Leal last year. He is a huge need, though. And Collins is a must for this staff.

Sorry man. Ox is a JAG. He's a space eater and that's it. It's fine to take one like him every few years for depth, like Wilbon, but he's a JAG. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There is a lot of recent bullshit in this thread. 

1) Just because a coach fucking sucks at recruiting, it doesn’t mean he’s probably excellent at coaching. This isn’t PS4 or XBox where you have to allocate talent attributes in one direction or another. Warehime and Mehringer were shopped after year one and both were publicly fucking demoted. They have no history of performance anywhere. Drayton was lauded, but what have we witnessed that shows much? We saw terrible fucking personnel decisions in games for the first 14 games this guy was here and then he was forcibly told to stop sending Porter in. Young has regressed. Carter was thrown into the doghouse from day one, and he was a turd, but it is lazy coaching to just write a fucking guy off and be done with it. It was also Drayton’s choice to take Carter over Benjamin. Giles has been covered and if anyone believes that lazy fuck is an excellent coach, they’re doing so out of personal psychological need. 

2) Tom Herman isn’t a paragon of virtue. He isn’t attempting anything on his own that accounts for integrity in recruiting. There is an entrenched culture at Texas, much as there is at ND and Michigan, that views dirty recruiting as shamefully beneath the org and getting past that isn’t a simple matter of will. 

3) If Texas doesn’t land Broughton, there is no spin to be had. None. It’s a big fucking loss at a need spot with a guy who can help a program win titles. Anyone that spins that miss in any way should be negged into a banning, and then hunted down offline, wrapped in a burlap sack, and beaten with reeds for their insolence. 

I love it when CTJ grabs the mike and spits fire.

e3b912f02cc13df6100a44ba9c261ccf.gif

Just now, texifornia said:

You're usually a good poster but Chris Warren sucked and had a shitty attitude while he was here. He had like two decent games.

Look, I tried to let it go after the first two people quoted it.  Then two more shitbags quoted the same fucking thing.  So, here we are.  But, let’s keep talking about it.  Im sure everyone else here is thrilled to rehash it again.

• Like 1

I've said it before but I think Broughton is A LOT of projection at this point. Don't get me wrong, I want him in a Texas uniform and I know I'm in the minority but I think Broughton is a question mark. He has huge upside due to his versatility. For sure. Excellent frame, a nearly perfect example of what to look for in a modern DL. I honestly expected him to test better but he shows excellent flexibility and power, despite the underwhelming numbers. Having said all that - I keep waiting for him to be really good at football. I mean, I had questions about Leal's attitude and effort because there were games where he clearly DGAF and just went through the motions. Leal getting fucking worked by 210 lb kids from the burbs, etc ... was troubling  but then he'd turn it up for a game or a half or whatever and you could see that he has a lot that simply can't be coached. With Broughton I've yet to see that. At all. He's a fine player but he's also bigger and stronger than everyone that he plays, he should be absolutely dominant and instead he's just a good player. 

*** also WTF??!?!? Chris Warren fucking sucked. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Look, I tried to let it go after the first two people quoted it.  Then two more shitbags quoted the same fucking thing.  So, here we are.  But, let’s keep talking about it.  Im sure everyone else here is thrilled to rehash it again.

I personally have zero issues rehashing things over and over and over again. Like not even a little bit. Just in case you were curious. Just not really invested in this particular topic.