Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

The Stampede: Resetting Texas' offensive recruiting board

The mid-summer checkpoint is upon us, and the 2020 recruiting cycle has officially made its way into the second half. As we did in the spring, The Stampede will reset the recruiting board and evaluate some secondary options at positions.

QUARTERBACK

Texas is set at the quarterback position in the 2020 class. Lake Travis passer Hudson Card is the longest tenured commit of the group, and he’s fresh off of a strong performance at the Elite 11 Finals. Card was called the best pure passer in the competition by one Elite 11 coach, and the Texas staff is excited about his development. The Longhorns also landed four-star Duncanville athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson to the class in early June. Jackson gives Texas a high-ceiling, developmental prospect to bring in alongside Card.

RUNNING BACK

Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic

Robinson is the prized recruit in this class, and there was a lot of optimism coming out of Austin following his official visit in late June. Leading up to the visit, sources near Robinson were confident he would shut things down following his visit to Texas, but Ohio State moved into a major position in this recruitment following their own official visit. I’m told that Ohio State does appear to hold a slight edge, but the race is very close as of now. I was told Robinson could possibly slow his timeline, and that would give Texas more time to establish itself as the leader.

Jase McClellan, Aledo (Committed to Oklahoma)

McClellan has been committed to Oklahoma for a long time, but he made news by taking an official visit to Texas in June. I spoke to a source very close to McClellan who indicated he is giving some other schools a fair shot in his recruitment. Texas and Alabama were the two schools that really stuck out during that conversation, and I’m told Texas made a big impression on his official visit despite his silence afterward. Oklahoma still has the big advantage, but I was told that McClellan could return to Austin in late July and again for a visit in the fall.

Zachary Evans, North Shore

The saga continues. After initially leaving Texas and Texas A&M out of his top group in the spring, Evans made unofficial visits to both campuses during the summer. Evans reportedly announced a new top five on Instagram live that included the two in-state rivals last week. All bets are off with Evans at this point, but Texas won’t simply walk away from him right now.

Ty Jordan, West Mesquite

Jordan’s held an offer for almost a year now, but he hasn’t been in a hurry to do anything. USC and Tennessee both picked up some momentum during spring visits, and it seems the Trojans are trending following those visits. There was a period of time that I felt Texas could have had Jordan if they pressed him more, but it seems they’ve re-engaged the fervor of their recruitment with him. Jordan plans to make an official visit to Austin during the fall, and if Texas gets him on campus and pushes I can see them walking away with his commitment.

Dominic Richardson, Oklahoma City (Okla.) Bishop McGuinness

Richardson committed to TCU before receiving his Texas offer, but he told Horns247 that he planned to visit Austin after growing up in the San Antonio area as a fan of the Longhorns. Richardson didn’t make it in before the dead period, but he told us over the weekend that he still planned to make a trip when possible. The Longhorns will need to get him on campus to be considered a serious threat, but he’s a name to keep an eye on in the fall.

SECONDARY OPTIONS

Texas evaluated Manor running back Tahj Brooks throughout the spring.Brooks committed to Texas Tech in late June, but the Longhorns could make things interesting if they choose to enter the picture for the local product.

WIDE RECEIVER

Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calif.)

Texas appeared to be trailing Oregon by a healthy margin before he visited Austin twice in June, but the Longhorns closed the gap after his visits.  Oregon is slated to get Wilson back on campus at the end of July, and he wants to take his official visits during the fall before making a decision.  If Texas can position itself for the last official visit, the Longhorns may have enough to get them over the hump. It will be a hotly-contested race, but Texas is in a real position to land the five-star.

Quentin Johnston, Temple

Johnston spent most of the spring playing basketball and running track, so the recruiting process didn’t really start for him until summer. Johnston doesn’t seem like he wants to make a decision any time soon, but he’s one of the more quiet recruits in the cycle. Coaches I spoke with at multiple schools would tell you he’s tough to read, but he always speaks highly of Texas. Reading the context clues, it seems that TCU, Oklahoma, Texas and to a lesser extent Baylor are in the lead contenders right now.

Mookie Cooper, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic

Cooper was once a part of the class, but he opened his recruitment not long after making his initial commitment. Cooper included Texas in his Top 5 and spoke of plans to make an official visit, but the buzz is that he will be a part of the Ohio State class before the season begins. If Texas can stall him and get him to campus, it might make a difference, but I have a hard time seeing this one pan out for the Longhorns.

Devon Achane, Fort Bend Marshall

Achane put off most of his recruitment for the spring track season, and he’s starting to look into his collegiate options. Several schools are recruiting the speedy prospect as a slot, but Achane wants the opportunity to play running back at the next level. The Longhorns are looking at him as a slot right now, so unless that changes, Texas will not likely be a landing place if Achane sticks to his guns.

LV Bunkley-Shelton, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

Texas offered Bunkley-Shelton after he impressed at the Longhorns' California satellite camp. He told Horns247 that he plans to be in Austin in late July for a visit once the dead period ends. In speaking with sources on the west coast, it appears that Bunkley-Shelton is still wide open in his recruitment, and Texas could establish position with a strong visit.

Loic Fouonji, Midland Lee

Fouonji visited SMU and Oklahoma State over the summer, and he wants to make a return to Stillwater following the dead period. Texas would like to get him on campus if possible, but Fouonji doesn’t have any plans set in stone yet.If Texas can get him in, perhaps things can change. That said, it looks like the Longhorns may have entered the race a bit too late.

SECONDARY OPTIONS

Most of the secondary options right now are at the slot position, and Texas plans to take a small receiver class. If the Longhorns have to move to other options, I would keep an eye on The Colony’s Myles Price and Carthage’s Kelvontay Dixon. Price was evaluated several times during the spring by the Texas staff, and they could choose to try to flip Dixon from his recent Arkansas commitment.

TIGHT END

Texas is back at square one after losing out on the Jalin Conyers recruitment, and Bishop Dunne ATH Jaden Hullaby fits as an h-back at the position. Texas will enter the second half looking to evaluate new targets, and the Longhorns might have to look to the junior college ranks to find someone.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The Longhorns hold three solid commitments from San Antonio O’Connor guard Logan Parr, Port Neches-Groves tackle Jaylen Garth and Prosper guard/center Jake Majors.

Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek

Lindberg took his official visits during the summer, and now he’s set about to make his decision. Texas still appears to be in a good position, but Lindberg is taking longer than most thought he would to make a decision.Georgia is the main source of competition, and LSU is a bit of a wildcard in the race. Lindberg plans to make his decision before the season.

Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll

Karic was offered by Texas in the summer after making a visit. He’s a tackle who has yet to grow into his frame, and Texas has a link to Carroll as former assistant Riley Dodge is the head coach for the Dragons. The Longhorns would likely take Karic as another tackle body if they have the room.

• Like 1

Sorry for going backwards here but can someone catch me up on why all the hopelessness on Bijan? I know Suchomel thought he seemed more excited talking about tOSU or something and tOSU got one CB, but our side also felt good after the visit and we got a CB too. Has there been other evidence of him leaning OSU?

InsideTexas Inside Scoop

By: IT staff (EN, JW, PJC)

Some post-Opening notes and quotes, a July the Texas recruiting staff needs, and our favorite pastime; Percentages!! It's Monday, get your Scoop.

PERCENTAGES

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge: Long ago I mentioned UT would have d-line options galore in this cycle. The state just doesn't produce a ton of great defensive linemen, especially ones that fit Todd Orlando's preferred front, but this collection was different and the time to hit big was in 2020. The biggest name at the position is Vernon Broughton. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better lineman who fits the specs Texas is looking for, and I don't just mean in Texas. While I took a week off from the board, I didn't take the week off from the Broughton recruitment. I read his quotes that Justin gathered and this one stood out: VB: "Being honest, I know I'm going to grow some more (6-foot-5, 285), and people say defensive tackle, but I don't care. I just want to get onto the field."

Vernon has told me the same, which, along with some other factors, made me think UT was the heavy favorite. Now I'm pretty much on the fence. What Vernon says is what he should believe, but I'm not so sure he does. The funny thing is, Texas isn't recruiting him as a defensive tackle -- not even close -- but A&M makes it sound like that's what the 4i is. While many might think UT is sitting idle and letting A&M create the "fit" narrative, the staff has done their homework. Re-watch Charles Omenihu kill Georgia and that's essentially the pitch. They were creative with Charles that game and he rewarded them. Vernon has given glowing remarks specifically about Omenihu in that game.

While each school makes the case not only for itself but against the other, Texas should compare Yancy McKnight to Jerry Schmidt. Schmidt was of course in Norman before College Station and OU's defense has long been soft. That starts with S&C. I need to catch up with Vernon's mother again to see if there are plans for them to visit Austin later in the month. It's been reported he'll visit College Station on July 26th. If that visit happens and the Texas one doesn't, the writing is on the wall. If he makes both, then who the hell knows?

If scheme truly didn't matter I don't think there would be any intrigue in this recruitment. I believe it does based on how this recruitment has materialized and because of Vernon's recent quotes. I do think discussions with his mother and grandmother will be a net positive for Texas but that isn't to say they'll be a difference maker. I actually have some belief Texas can pull this one off but I wouldn't call it confidence. 50%

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: Adding some weight this off-season should enhance UT's pitch for the legacy. Previously I felt he was a better fit for a four-man front but now I don't think the front matters and UT's scheme will certainly ready him for the NFL. If Texas misses on Broughton then Collins becomes the most important prospect in the class. Broughton should serve as a good template. The staff will know exactly what A&M is telling Collins and they'll have a decent idea of what counters and pitches work.

The Collins family is of course sold on the academics and everything else outside of football at Texas. And while they have interest in Alabama, I don't believe he'll go that far from home which is why I'm more focused on A&M. It's difficult to get a read on Collins' personality. I know he likes UT quite a bit and some of his own quotes make it hard for me to believe he'd go to a bitter rival. He's also said very favorable things to a person I trust recently that offers some confidence. Still, I'm just wary of UT's defensive line recruiting. 60%

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor: 10%

DL Jalen Logan-Redding, Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge: For this program he'd be an assembly line 4i. Red-shirt as a freshmen. Fight to be depth as a sophomore. As he continues to add parts to his game and develop physically, he'll see the field in year three. Eventually the whole thing rolls off the assembly line and he's ready for the showroom. You don't sell it that way, obviously, aside the development. I like him. If he lived close by, saaaaaaaaaay Manor, he'd already be in the class. My percentage for him is tied to Princely Umanmielen. I think once Umanmielen commits elsewhere the staff will prioritize JL-R even more. 60%

(We're trying to find out more on Utah's Van Fillinger. Other than him telling me he really likes Texas and is building the relationship and getting to know the school better, I don't know much about him. He's a better option than JL-R and I suspect they're lining up both)

DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: The late addition to the Opening showed he belonged, at least in the handful of clips I saw. Usually 7 on 7 doesn't answer questions, but Thompson showed he's good enough in coverage for Joker and maybe even boundary safety, at least until he adds 20 pounds of muscle. Like I've written, he'd be a fantastic get for Texas while he'd be a good get for some others schools. Like with Dorbah, the fit is exceptional. Thompson mentioned on social media that he's going to make his announcement in early August. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but I recall Ja'Quinden Jackson saying he was postponing his announcement the day he announced. The more players the staff can get in the boat before the July recruiting event the better. Also, I need a firework. 85%

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington: I'm going to dig on this one this week. The Florida talk is a little disconcerting and I heard he even talked to UF while on his Texas official visit. That happens more frequently than you might think but it isn't a good sign. I'm still picking Texas but I'm not sure how confident I should be at this point. This is one we'll go into more detail when we can on certain aspects. Did Florida get an assist from another school? Hmmm. I think, but am not sure, that proximity wins the day but this is one the longer it goes the worse it probably is for UT. 60%

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park: It's funny to me that Highland Park can get this freaking sports car bought into playing 4i but tanks who should be trampling people in the trenches want to come off the edge. Dorbah projects as a slightly smaller Joseph Ossai, and though I don't have him profiled as well as I had the Texas sophomore, I think I have a good read on him as a person and player. He's a tailor-made B-backer but like Ossai he might offer value off-the-ball at Rover (it remains to be seen with both). He's a must-get for this scheme. B-backers are relatively easy to find for some reason but UT has as good of a pitch for the position as anyone. This means they'll almost always be in the conversation for the Ossais, Dorbahs, and Clayton Smiths of the world. 90%

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (CA): Yet another recruitment where no school has a better sell. Mehringer can tell him, "see that giant Greg Oden looking dude?" *points at Malcolm Epps* "He's not even a tight end here." Then you add in Collin Johnson's year-over-year development and similar skill-set and it becomes even more clear. Wilson's family seems to hold sway with his decision and they seem to like Austin quite a bit. However, Oregon and Nick Saban protege Mario Cristobal give me 55% worth of pause. 45%

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple: This should probably be higher but Johnston's hard to read and doesn't say much. Texas is recruiting him aggressively but OU is too and they have a great track record with wide receivers. He's being hard-pressed and has been for a while now. What a fantastic fit for Z. They need him. Have Ta'Quon Graham tell him why he chose Texas over OU. 60%

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: With all the uncertainty in recruiting right now, one thing is for certain: Chad Lindberg is out of official visits. I'm going to catch up with Chad today and I hope to offer more thoughts tomorrow. Right now I have it at 80%.

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (AZ): He gives Texas positive indications but the Ohio State move is real and it's hard for me to not speculate that the fOSU staff had the superior pitch to former Ohio State coaches Tom Herman and Stan Drayton. This recruitment isn't over but UT will need help from Robinson's family. Sometimes it feels like the coaches do a better job of winning over the parents than the kids. That's great when the parents are the clear decision maker but the days of winning over mama seem to be waning. I'll have some thoughts on running back recruiting and Stan Drayton tomorrow. 40%

RB Jase McClellan, Aledo: McClellan does a good job of keeping college staffs on their toes. Texas is in an okay position with him. OU is in a pretty good position with him. He recently offered positive feedback regarding Alabama. With McClellan, the next few months matter and it's impossible to predict with much confidence how those will go, other than Bama will win a lot of games. I do think UT's scheme and depth chart will be attractive. I do believe we'll see a Sam Ehlinger more reliant on his arm than his legs, similar to how @b_pittenger does curls in the squat rack. I do think Texas will have a better season than Oklahoma...but we'll see. It all matters, and until then, I'm not sure much else does. I liked UT's use of the official visit when the staff felt they were landing Robinson. I won't hindsight that, but if they miss on Robinson it will be a bit harder to win McClellan over down the stretch without the OV in the staff's hip pocket. But keep in mind McClellan will almost certainly be playing football into the last weekend of the season. I bet he visits twice more and if Texas misses on Robinson it might make things a tad bit easier to land McClellan long-term. 30%

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite: Unless Texas really picks up the pace on Jordan and recruits him like they have the five-stars I don't see how they pull him. From a personality standpoint he gives me an Eno Benjamin vibe. He doesn't want to be a back-up plan. There's probably some slack here, so if he visits later in the month and is feeling the love this percentage will spike. 30%

DB Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (AZ): He's expected to announce within the next week or two and everything I've heard coming out of the Opening points to Ohio State. I know one writer with a particularly good read on him. 10%

Those are not the most optimistic percentages I've ever written and in some places are a stark contrast from previous ones. It's not time to freak out like the soap opera recruitnik is wont to do. I know you want to slap your favorite moderators in the face after throwing a glass of water at us. Save your wrist the recoil from our granite chins and simply fasten your seat belt. That might be turbulence ahead, it isn't the Andes.

As for fireworks, they're judged by the flourish and not the opening. Let's see how the whole month goes.

HUDSON CARD

The Lake Travis product and Texas pledge is a known commodity around these parts. But last week in Frisco, he was able to get on the national stage and thrived. He had the highest velocity recorded at the Elite 11 - 57.5 MPH. He finished top 5 total rankings, while sitting at No. 2 for three days. Card essentially put himself on the map but on a national scale, I think he turned some heads. He certainly enjoyed the experience. “It's been a great experience going against the best guys in the country,” said Card. "It's been a dream of mine since I was little to compete at the Elite 11."

Being around the best of the best can bring out the best in some, and Card thinks he rose to the challenge. "Once I'm in there, the competitive nature takes over a little bit," Card said. "It was just a lot of fun." Card also played a part in recruiting. Guys like Vernon Broughton, Jahari Rogers, and Opening teammate Johnny Wilson. "(Johnny) was on my team so I got to see him a lot," said Card. "I know we can use a guy like Johnny and I made sure he knows that."

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound signal-caller had a blast in Frisco competing against some of the nation’s best. Now he's headed back to Austin for summer workouts with his squad. He's still got a senior season to prepare for.

CHRIS THOMPSON 

When Thompson got the late night call, it was like Batman grabbing his suit and jumping into his 2017 Dodge Charger. He was definitely excited. For the elite 2020 defensive back, The Opening was the climax to a busy summer. "I just wanted to showcase my abilities and skills," said Thompson. "People say I can't cover, so I got to show them I can."

His team play in 7v7 really stood out. He’s got some versatility in the secondary, potentially a head-striking Joker with the right cast assembled around him. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound four-star safety from Duncanville was more than grateful at the opportunity to participate in The Opening finals at The Star. Before that, he tripped to Georgia, Ohio State, Auburn, and USC. “USC was nice, great weather,” said Thompson. "I really liked Ohio State's coaching staff. All the visits were good and I got to see a lot of great places."

Next up for Thompson is a decision. He'd like to do it before the season starts. "I want to do it this month (July), but maybe August," Thompson said. "The biggest thing for me is if I can trust the coaching staff, the defensive system fits me." As for Texas, they are still at the top of his list. "Coach Naivar is a guy that I can trust," said Thompson. "UT plays with six DBs a lot and that helps. Plus Ja'Quinden is steady on me."

Texas is still the lead dog heading into July. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see that changing. I can see that 2020 defensive group potentially growing in the next few days and possibly another not too far from that.

TWO NOTES 

— Despite the overwhelming sentiment of Kelee Ringo’s inevitably pledge to Georgia, I’m hearing Ringo still reaches out to Texas and still wants to set up an OV this fall. I still see Georgia, but Jason Washington will shoot his shot.

— As we mentioned last week, Aledo RB, OU pledge Jase McClellan will likely visit Austin again this September when the LSU Tigers invade DKR. That game will present a real opportunity for the “prove it to me” crowd. He's also talking to Alabama so there's that.

LATHAN RANSOM

After a spring filled with five official visits spanning April to June to Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, Texas, and Ohio State, Lathan Ransom is ready to make a decision. He will decide between his final three schools of Texas, Notre Dame, and Ohio State on July 16 when he’s celebrating his 17th birthday. “It’s been busy, but it’s been real fun,” Ransom said Monday. “My family has been to places they’ve never been before. My sister got to see some cool places. It’s been a cool experience.”

Following his trip final official visit to Columbus to see the Buckeyes, a lot of news centered around the idea that Ransom had made his decision and would be announcing for Ohio State. Ransom took the chance Monday to say he hadn’t made his final decision yet. “Honestly, those three schools all have a fair chance,” Ransom said. “I did like my Ohio State visit a lot, but some people did take that as, ‘Oh, he’s going to Ohio State,’ and stuff like that. Notre Dame, Texas and Ohio State are all great schools and all schools I like a lot, so don’t take it as I’m going there right away. I like all of them schools a lot.”

His final decision will come with the input of his family members; his mom, his dad, and his sister. He then plans to create a list of pros and cons for each school before making his decision. When asked if his parents have a preference, Ransom made it clear the decision would be his. “They don’t really have a preference,” he said. “They don’t really care how far it is. They just understand I have to make the best decision for myself.”

He had the opportunity to talk about each of his three finalists. “Texas is one of the schools known as DBU,” Ransom said. “They’ve put out some great DBs. They always have a lot of DBs on the field. Their defense is run around DBs. Austin is a great place and kind of closer to home. I really liked it a lot when I was out there.”

Regarding the Buckeyes: “I really built a great relationship with Coach (Jeff) Hafley. He just came from the NFL, so, I feel like he really knows what the NFL is looking for. I feel like he’ll develop me in ways I feel like some places couldn’t. I had a great feeling in Columbus.”

“Notre Dame is so historic,” Ransom said. “My relationship with Coach Lea and Coach Joseph is one of the best relationships I have with any coaching staff. I really like the dudes down there. They all were real goal-orientated and really see school and some of the other stuff the way I see it, so I like them a lot too.”

Ransom is high school teammates with another highly rated member of his class, running back Bijan Robinson. Ransom and Robinson are close, but they aren’t a package deal. However, Robinson and Ransom compare notes, positives, and negatives of each of the schools they both are interested in after visits.

At The Opening, Ransom was asked what the final message from each of his finalists was. The final message from the Longhorns? “Come in, play early,” Ransom said. “Their defense is based around what the safeties do, be in there, make a lot of plays, get in the rotation early since they do play so many safeties and then that alumni system is one of the biggest in the nation. Everyone knows Texas.”

Edited by satyanash

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

look, i love Carrington and realize how much value he brings to the table but let's not give him THAT much credit here for taking visits. he went on the road in Jan 2018 for comparison

6 guys committed in 2018 calendar year: Josh Moore, Joseph Ossai, Moro Ojomo, Mike Williams, Daniel Carson, Christian Jones

Moore wasn't exactly a shocker. Combined, Ojomo, M Williams, Carson have exactly zero tackles so far in their career. Jones took a RS and hasn't taken a snap IIRC.

Ossai is huge and should play a big impact on the team next year, Carrington went on the in home and IIRC got a tweet or something from Ossai after his commit? But let's not act like that the 2018 class looks way way way different if you subtract Ossai/Ojomo/Carson nor act like Texas 100% wouldn't have landed some of those 6 without BC going on the road. 

2018 class players and commits, sorted by star ranking spoiler'd below

•   Reveal hidden contents

• Sterns in May
    • Foster in June
    • Green committted in July
    • Overshown in May
    • Eagles in July
    • Cook in December
    • Cook in December
    • ***Josh Moore in Feb 2018 (not a shocker that he went to Texas through)
    • Woodard in July
    • Jamison in October
    • Dele in June
    • Coburn in Aug
    • Angilau in Dec
    • Ingram in May
    • ***Ossai in Feb 2018
    • Epps in Aug
    • Rising in April
    • Thompson in April
    • Moore in April
    • Ghirmai in Aug
    • ***Ojomo in Feb 2018
    • Grandy in Dec
    • Vaughns in April
    • ***Williams in Jan 2018
    • ***Carson in Jan 2018
    • ***C Jones in Feb 2018

If aggie would not have done what aggie does it had plenty of talent wanting to go there early on but the combination of Sumlin failing to identify the right DB guys to push for early and then being run out of town helped us a great deal. Some of those included Jamison, Ossai, Ojomo, Ingram and J.Green also had some serious interest in Sumlin's program.

Herman has to have some buddies on the OSU staff. Maybe he can reach out to them before recruiting a player to see where he is on the OSU board. That way we don't waste our time trying to recruit against OSU and our coaches can focus their energy on other 5 star players we can come in 2nd for. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The fact that Jahari Rogers was talking to Florida during his Texas OV is kind of disconcerting imo.

@Fud any idea who Justin's referring to when he mentions a school that's giving Florida an "assist" in Jahari's recruitment? blOU?

It really is more common than you'd think. Recruits are used to being in constant communication with the coaches recruiting them. It's far from ideal, but it's not the kiss of death either.

I just think it’s a little surprising that Ohio State doesn’t seem to have skipped a beat in recruiting post Urban. Most programs, even the elite ones, hit a speed bump or two when they replace a coach of that caliber with a no-name doofus. 

29 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sorry for going backwards here but can someone catch me up on why all the hopelessness on Bijan? I know Suchomel thought he seemed more excited talking about tOSU or something and tOSU got one CB, but our side also felt good after the visit and we got a CB too. Has there been other evidence of him leaning OSU?

Essentially the information coming from the Texas side, specifically at RB and DL was far too optimistic which lead the 9.95'ers to be way off base on our chances initially. We did not lose him so much as we probably were not really leading for him in the first place. 

48 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Did we ever confirm this was true? 

As far as I can tell, there's been no confirmation, and other rumors have spread out of threads on different sites by random posters, all of dubious legitimacy. But even if he did say "fuck roll tide" on Instagram live, it doesn't mean the other rumors are true, and it's also Zach Evans, who could just be trolling/attention seeking. 

13 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I just think it’s a little surprising that Ohio State doesn’t seem to have skipped a beat in recruiting post Urban. Most programs, even the elite ones, hit a speed bump or two when they replace a coach of that caliber with a no-name doofus. 

Same with Riley at BlowU.

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

@Fud any idea who Justin's referring to when he mentions a school that's giving Florida an "assist" in Jahari's recruitment? blOU?

I haven't tried to figure it out, but that would be my guess. Given their pitch to Bryson Washington was "they're depth chart is stacked, while you'd potentially start here day one!", it makes sense that they'd use a similar pitch regarding Green, Cook, Jamison, Kenyatta, Boyce, Caldwell, and Crawford being a crowded CB room. 

9 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It's year one of the Day era. We'll have to see how it plays out over the next few years to know for sure. It's not uncommon for there to be excitement around a coaching change at a blue chip program. But Ryan Day also has the luxury of keeping a lot of Meyer's staff on hand, specifically Director of Player Personnel (aka recruiting coordinator) Mark Pantoni. That guy does an amazing job. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's year one of the Day era. We'll have to see how it plays out over the next few years to know for sure. It's not uncommon for there to be excitement around a coaching change at a blue chip program. But Ryan Day also has the luxury of keeping a lot of Meyer's staff on hand, specifically Director of Player Personnel (aka recruiting coordinator) Mark Pantoni. That guy does an amazing job. 

I'm always curious when non-Texas fans pop up in this thread. Are you really reading through the mounds of bullshit posted here on a daily basis?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Same with Riley at BlowU.

ou did it with classic land thief principles. Waited until the recruiting class enrolled in Summer1 class and then announced the change. Made it a bitch to transfer since kids had attended and kids would be pressured by their peers to stick it out. Mayfield was coming off a great season and had Kyler waiting on the bench.

The other major difference when we compete with ou, tosu, aggie, georgia, bama, lsu.....you do not have to play school when you attend any of those, I mean you can take every class remotely with a tutor and only focus on football. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I keep waiting for Texas to decide to pursue Caleb Medford to go along with Johnston. 

What are your thoughts on him? I think it was Wells who called him a top in state WR on a recent podcast, tough to understand what is homerism with Wells/Nahlin.

2 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

Fire drew, Stan, Warehime, and Giles into the sun.

We are at the point now that Herman has to be very much involved in all of the high level recruits.  I'm not giving up on this class but if we lose Broughton, Bijan, Wilson, etc.   This has to land on him as well.   We are in desperate need of a high level recruit.  As each one slips away you have to wonder what the hell is going on.

I am not giving up on this class but if things are this bleak come November our problems are bigger than these 4 individually or combined.

It wasn’t a gripe, dipshit, so please hang up. My post was in response to gripes about the Sugar Bowl’s lack of impact on recruiting star talent. I countered that with reality, which you have trouble handling.
I never said the team is shitty, but they’re definitely inconsistent as hell.  You want to point out the OU win but ignore the loss to OU in a game which meant more. You want to beat your chest about beating SEC teams but ignore going to the wire with Tulsa, Baylor, Tech,  and Kansas, and getting beat by Maryland and Oklahoma State.
I’m happy as hell with the team’s progress. However, recruits look at the overall body of work and draft results, two things we can’t currently beat our chest about.

Sorry you were abused as a child. Herman and staff have put players into the NFL and have not exactly been here to build a team of his players and have them go through the program. This isn’t amazon prime. Overall body of work is 10 wins with 2 signature wins last year. The rest of your post is just made up straw man bullshit. Maybe Oz can help you.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sorry you were abused as a child. Herman and staff have put players into the NFL and have not exactly been here to build a team of his players and have them go through the program. This isn’t amazon prime. Overall body of work is 10 wins with 2 signature wins last year. The rest of your post is just made up straw man bullshit. Maybe Oz can help you.

What did I make up?

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

What are your thoughts on him? I think it was Wells who called him a top in state WR on a recent podcast, tough to understand what is homerism with Wells/Nahlin.

He's way undervalued/ranked, IMHO. He's got excellent hands and is super competitive about going to get it once it's in the air. He runs well and has an excellent frame.  More importantly he is just barely scratching the surface right now of what he could be, in terms of S&C. He's already good at football but his best football is ahead of him, for sure. Very low floor,  high ceiling. He's going to be a fucking pain in the ass if he sticks at TCU. 

3 hours ago, Nope said:

Huh? Name one 2 star this staff has recruited.

ok, maybe no 2's but certainly 3's - T'Vondre Sweat, Mpagi, Warren, Carson (All DL/DE)

It is a position of critical need that Texas is consistently missing out on key talent during recruiting cycles. It is great that the staff can develop players up. I just would like to see UT land a high 4 star, 5 star talent to start to do that with.

24 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

ok, maybe no 2's but certainly 3's - T'Vondre Sweat, Mpagi, Warren, Carson (All DL/DE)

It is a position of critical need that Texas is consistently missing out on key talent during recruiting cycles. It is great that the staff can develop players up. I just would like to see UT land a high 4 star, 5 star talent to start to do that with.

Plus this class will be Jr./RS Soph when Bama' comes to town in 2022.  Doubt we have a RS Sr. Coburn and Ojomo still around to lean on.

40 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's way undervalued/ranked, IMHO. He's got excellent hands and is super competitive about going to get it once it's in the air. He runs well and has an excellent frame.  More importantly he is just barely scratching the surface right now of what he could be, in terms of S&C. He's already good at football but his best football is ahead of him, for sure. Very low floor,  high ceiling. He's going to be a fucking pain in the ass if he sticks at TCU. 

TY Sir. Perhaps the "very low floor" is keeping us away.

26 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I don't disagree with your general point, but Sweat was one of the primary options on our board and Warren ended up a 4*.

We need to recruit better at DL, but let's separate the backup plans from the guys who were just plain good evaluations, whether early or late. Logan-Redding is more along the lines of what you're looking for.