Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

23 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Just in case anyone hadn't seen these. I know this isn't Texas HSFB, but you don't see a ton of sophomores outrun people like that anywhere at any level.

Herman's not perfect and I'm not a fan of some of his decisions (see: Mehringer, Drew; Warehime, Derek), but I really like his emphasis on supplementing recruiting with out-of-state blue chips. If only someone had thought of this years ago instead of just paying the concept lip service...

Not many players could beat this kid in a short burst. He just has a different gear, and he seems to know how to use it. Get him the ball. 

• Like 1

Friendly reminder for those freaking out about Wright and WR recruiting:

We have commits from the number 7, 15, and 27 ranked WRs, per the 247 composite.

aggy has the number 22, 28, and 65 ranked WRs. If you count Harris, he would be ranked at around 23 based on the number system.

And we're doing this despite having a human paraquat as a WR coach and dealing with Jimbo's new coach smell. Would it be nice to get Wright? Of course - he's a really good player and I'm not about to aggy this place up by making up some bullshit on why we never wanted him. However, it's also worth pointing out that, despite all of the recruiting dead weight on our staff, aggy's best WR commitment is ranked similarly to our lowest rated WR commit.

Thing could be better, yes - maybe even much better. But I don't think it's as bad some people are making it out be. Herman obviously knows there's a problem or I don't think he would have assigned Meekins to babysit Mehringer. I'm optimistic that Mehringer will be shuffled off to be OC at Humboldt State or some shit (no offense to any HSU fans here) and Herman will get us another recruiting rainmaker or three. With any luck, it'll happen before certain staff members have a chance to fuck us too badly with some of the 2020 kids.

• Like 6

Based on news of Evans recruitment having potential strings, I would recommend you place him in the longshot category. We will never match the aggie comp package. If we win and aggie offense looks like shit, then we could start to see it as a real possibility. 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CTJ made an offhand comment about him in the 2019 thread, and people ran with it.

Which I took to mean his recruitment isn't the slam dunk that some have assumed. I didn't take it to mean Evans has his hand out and will go to the highest bidder and that will be aggy and the fucking world is fucking crumbling. 

• Like 2

Historically we do not do well when you have to manage an entourage for a player. Not that we have not won a few like Vince and that is why Mack initially thought Brewster was wasting his time. 

Winning, our facilities upgrade, getting rid of dead weight coaches and our AD being a stud will all help us moving forward.

Jesus. CTJ didn't say Evans had his hand out. What he did say is he is a generational type player, and EVERYONE will being pursuing the guy, including the programs that will happily throw a few Brinks trucks and briefcases full of cash his way. That will make the recruitment unpredictable at best. Who knows what is going to happen when 5 different aunts and uncles suddenly get lump sums to try and influence a decision?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goodman said:

Based on news of Evans recruitment having potential strings, I would recommend you place him in the longshot category. We will never match the aggie comp package. If we win and aggie offense looks like shit, then we could start to see it as a real possibility. 

I don't think he's a longshot, itll just be a competitive but winnable recruitment 

6 hours ago, RadiologyHorn said:

I’ve been watching Zach Evans highlights for the last hour.

Im convinced he is our most important recruit since Vince in 2002. 

He would completely transform our offense. I hope we have half our staff on him. 

That kid is a serious downhill runner. And uphill. And sidehill. And all other kinds of hills. Fast, elusive and strong is a pretty solid combination. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Im not a scout, but mookie gets the ball at the line of scrimmage or behind in nearly every play, and while he has great speed, I think that good college talent players wouldnt miss 70 or 80 percent of the tackles that he just seems to walk by. He doesnt  show extreme wiggle to get by guys, just appears to be able to speed by slow poor competition that cant tackle a fast guy

Edited by travelingtexan

LSU has a good track record of getting top recruits out of North Shore. Obviously it's a longshot for them if they keep waiting on Coach O to pan out, but I don't think they'll be patient with him despite their financial troubles. Anyway, I assume there is no clear leader right now. For all we know, Georgia could swoop in and seal the deal.

33 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I’m no insider but Hornsby going to Fort Bend Marshall was a move to have him go to A&M. Behind the scenes A&M is doing some illegal things. This move is one of them. 

So which Austin High coach is suddenly going to get a noncoaching/staff position at aggy in two years?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/4/12/15267040/ncaa-rule-high-school-coach-recruit-camp-hire

33 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So which Austin High coach is suddenly going to get a noncoaching/staff position at aggy in two years?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/4/12/15267040/ncaa-rule-high-school-coach-recruit-camp-hire

Austin coaches were caught off guard by the move. So neither 

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Ken Seals got fucked over and his mom worked at the school he transferred to and didn't even get his family moved in to some aggy boosters rent house

I think Malik had a family member as a coach at his former school, so maybe that'll save him 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Can you also provide this information in English? Thanks. 

Ken Seals and his family lived in Azle, Tx, a not wealthy and formerly crime-ridden redneck outpost near Ft Worth.  Mama works at Weatherford High, an up and coming - in every way - area also not exactly a suburb but close to FW.  Weatherford is better than Azle in every way.  UIL ruled that Seals' transfer was solely based upon football and declared him ineligible for the past year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article195320029.html 

54 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Ken Seals and his family lived in Azle, Tx, a not wealthy and formerly crime-ridden redneck outpost near Ft Worth.  Mama works at Weatherford High, an up and coming - in every way - area also not exactly a suburb but close to FW.  Weatherford is better than Azle in every way.  UIL ruled that Seals' transfer was solely based upon football and declared him ineligible for the past year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article195320029.html 

Thanks. Now I follow.