Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is defeatist thinking, which is not your mantra. 

Take the best target willing to sign, not the local guy “because Lake Travis” and he’s willing to soak up a roster spot without drama. 

I don’t to want to belabor Card. Like I said, he looks like a fine QB2 take and he’s got limiting physical attributes. I’d like to see them be aggressive every year though. 

Just my opinion, but you sign the best QB on your board every year, let the Darwinian process play out and the guys not comfortable being down on the depth chart leave. Stacking the depth chart for a special recruit is a page right out of the Mack Brown playbook that left us fucked at the position for the better part of a decade. 

It is my hope that the staff thinks Card is their top pick otherwise it is a waste of a scholarship unless he is a take at WR. 

11 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

think mama Lindberg might have given E.J. a heads up? shes seems to be the recruiting class mom, even though her boy hasnt committed yet. 

Yeah she seems like she'll be a bit sad if he goes anywhere else just because she's having fun with being the Texas recruiting ringleader.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is defeatist thinking, which is not your mantra. 

Take the best target willing to sign, not the local guy “because Lake Travis” and he’s willing to soak up a roster spot without drama. 

I don’t to want to belabor Card. Like I said, he looks like a fine QB2 take and he’s got limiting physical attributes. I’d like to see them be aggressive every year though. 

Honest question, what do you think are his limiting physical attributes?

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Honest question, what do you think are his limiting physical attributes?

I already alluded to body type. It’s a problem for adding weight. Tiny hands are also never a good sign for a guy touching the ball on every offensive snap. But, hey, like I said, I’m happy to be wrong and I hope he kills it at Texas. I have nothing against him. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I already alluded to body type. It’s a problem for adding weight. Tiny hands are also never a good sign for a guy touching the ball on every offensive snap. But, hey, like I said, I’m happy to be wrong and I hope he kills it at Texas. I have nothing against him. 

Got it. I disagree on the body type and havent paid attention to his hands. His body is that of an athlete, nothing like Case McCoy at all. He runs a legit 4.6 40, and low 4 sec shuttles. Kid is sudden with a really good arm. If you have ever seen his family, you wouldnt worry about adding weight.  Father and brother are pretty thickly built. He is lean but wiry right now but he is exactly what I want a Jr Qb who relies on quickness and speed  to look like at this age.

As for the QB1 vs QB2 talk, I can tall you that in a long line of LT QBs, Card is regarded by the LT coaching staff to be in the top 3 best QB talents to ever wear the LT helmet. If there is a better QB in the 2020 class, I havent seen him. The best thing I can tell you about Card is the kid loves to compete. He doesnt shy away from the big stage nor is intimidated by it. He looked bad against Westlake and Northshore because the LT o-line was dogshit this year. If you want to see how good he can be, go watch the Judson playoff game. He isnt worried about competing against Roschon or any other QB in the 2020 or 2021 classes. And Herman LOVES Card. Herman and staff believe Card is the real deal and are extremely happy to have him onboard.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, Alex Smith got drafted number one overall. Inspiring people with tiny hands everywhere that your dreams can come true. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Got it. I disagree on the body type and havent paid attention to his hands. His body is that of an athlete, nothing like Case McCoy at all. He runs a legit 4.6 40, and low 4 sec shuttles. Kid is sudden with a really good arm. If you have ever seen his family, you wouldnt worry about adding weight.  Father and brother are pretty thickly built. He is lean but wiry right now but he is exactly what I want a Jr Qb who relies on quickness and speed  to look like at this age.

As for the QB1 vs QB2 talk, I can tall you that in a long line of LT QBs, Card is regarded by the LT coaching staff to be in the top 3 best QB talents to ever wear the LT helmet. If there is a better QB in the 2020 class, I havent seen him. The best thing I can tell you about Card is the kid loves to compete. He doesnt shy away from the big stage nor is intimidated by it. He looked bad against Westlake and Northshore because the LT o-line was dogshit this year. If you want to see how good he can be, go watch the Judson playoff game. He isnt worried about competing against Roschon or any other QB in the 2020 or 2021 classes. And Herman LOVES Card. Herman and staff believe Card is the real deal and are extremely happy to have him onboard.

Oh hes the best qb in the nation in the class of 2020? This is the most Longhorn94 post in the history of all of the Longhorn94 posts in recorded history. JFC man. 

• Like 3

Just now, Newy25 said:

Just going through a search of hudl highlights, is there actual film of Card playing QB? Most of his highlights are at WR.  Since he is the best QB in the nation according to Longhorn94, I would certainly would like to see it. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6877959/5c2aad4b3df51b09bc971dad

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh hes the best qb in the nation in the class of 2020? This is the most Longhorn94 post in the history of all of the Longhorn94 posts in recorded history. JFC man. 

i think he is the 3rd dual threat in the 247 composite rankings so im not sure why you are acting like what i said was a gross exaggeration. but whatever. what i meant is he is the best QB i have seen in that class. i havent seen all of them and did not flatly claim is the best. but yeah i think he is up there and going by his ranking and Texas's belief in him, I dont think i am far off if at all.

he has a good arm. stronger than charlie brewer but not quite as strong as baldwin or gilbert. probably similar to mayfield.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Despite a highlight reel that did not include a black defensive back until about the 8 minute mark, it’s pretty clear to me what he is. He has the anticipation of Drew Brees, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the pocket presence of Aaron Rodgers the gamesmanship of Steve Young and of course the hands of Alex Smith. 

Someone who knows football better than me. What are you able to tell me about his film when he is running by 5”7 white defensive backs with impunity? Anything else other than when we play Air Force they better look the fuck out? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Despite a highlight reel that did not include a black defensive back until about the 8 minute mark, it’s pretty clear to me what he is. He has the anticipation of Drew Brees, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the pocket presence of Aaron Rodgers the gamesmanship of Steve Young and of course the hands of Alex Smith. 

Someone who knows football better than me. What are you able to tell me about his film when he is running by 5”7 white defensive backs with impunity? Anything else other than when we play Air Force they better look the fuck out? 

fuckin a bubba!

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What do you mean by ++? I hope you're not talking arm strength because that's not an accurate statement about Mayfield and Murray.

I am talking arm strength. Murray has a top 5 NFL arm today. Mayfield is a notch below that, but you don’t get drafted at 1 overall as a short QB unless you can sling it. 

25 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He plays 5A ball in Texas and went all the way to the state final game. What more do you want? Combine numbers?