Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Honest question, do Arkansas insiders ever seem to actually have any insight? I feel like they're more like TCU insiders, where they think they're getting everyone and it never happens. But that is just my kneejerk reaction, it could be completely off-base.

It shows his hit rate as 17/18 but other than that who knows what is making him feel confident. 

If it were any other position I would dismiss it pretty easily. 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K says Johnny Wilson is bringing his family this time for the visit.

Should allow the staff to figure out if it’s worth staying in this one until the end or pushing for Johnston. My bias is unless we look like a clear leader after this weekend, make a push for Johnston. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Should allow the staff to figure out if it’s worth staying in this one until the end or pushing for Johnston. My bias is unless we look like a clear leader after this weekend, make a push for Johnston. 

Why not both?

• Like 5

Just now, Newy25 said:

We should be pushing for Johnston anyway, and I'm not sure that we aren't as it stands. I believe Johnston has position versatility at WR, as where Wilson is just going to be a Collin Johnson clone. Unless your name is Oscar Giles or Stan Drayton, you can recruit more than one player all out until the whistle blows.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We want BOTH though, right?  Add in Mookie/Achane and that's the class?

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

We should be pushing for Johnston anyway, and I'm not sure that we aren't as it stands. I believe Johnston has position versatility at WR, as where Wilson is just going to be a Collin Johnson clone. Unless your name is Oscar Giles or Stan Drayton, you can recruit more than one player all out until the whistle blows.

Well we do have two WR coaches. They should be getting blanketed.

• Like 1

Johnston is probably one of the five least talkative targets (along with Achane, Karic, Collins, and Dixon) in this cycle for us so it's tough to figure out where we stand with him or what's going on with his recruitment in general when he's not taking visits.

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d go after Wilson, Johnston, and Achane, and try and keep Dixon, Hester, and Fuounji warm as backups 

There’s also Mookie, but he doesn’t seem like the type of recruitment we typically win, and I’d rather just go all in on Achane with Dixon as his backup. If Dixon gets sick of waiting around, I don’t think slot receiver is a terribly difficult position to fill in the region. Someone like Koy Moore is attainable. 

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was under the working assumption that we are getting one of the slot guys and Johnson/Johnston was an either/or situation due to numbers. 

Edit- I stand corrected. Looks like we would go after both. 

Edited by Newy25

The Stampede

— Let’s start with Jase McClellan. The five-star running back from Aledo made the trip to Austin over the weekend with his mother. I was told that the Longhorns thought McClellan came into the trip with an open mind and took everything in. This isn’t a case of a committed player coming in to negatively recruit Texas. From what I know of McClellan and his mother, they aren’t the type of folks who would do that. Even though they came in with an open mind, I was told McClellan showed a lot of restraint during the visit and was mindful about his current status as an Oklahoma commit

— I’m told that McClellan and his mother have a lot of respect for Texas running back coach Stan Drayton. The Longhorns were able to pitch some things that were unique to Jase. Depth chart is a huge selling point for Texas at the position. The Texas offense would like to have three running backs ready to play any time they go into a game, and right now they are pretty thin at the position. They’ve had to overcome negative recruiting about their offense and Sam Ehlinger’s role running the ball. I’m told that Texas pitched what they could do offensively with a stacked running back room. McClellan grew up in the same area as Texas linebacker Byron Vaughns, and his mother is a friend of Natalia Vaughns. I’ve been told that the Mutha Hustla herself has been working on this one for a while.

— From the Oklahoma side of things, there was definitely some worry north of the Red River when it was reported that McClellan was taking the visit. The Sooner staff made a pretty big push to try and prevent it before it happened. McClellan had his mind set on doing it, so they made the trip anyway. In fact, I’m told the Oklahoma staff found out about the visit from reading reports online.

— There have been a lot of questions about if McClellan would be willing to play with another top runner. From what I’ve been able to gather, McClellan has no concerns about competition, and he just wants to find the right fit to prepare him for the NFL. He always planned to take visits during the year, and one Oklahoma source told me that they felt Texas was the school he would never quite close the door on. McClellan has no problem with recent Oklahoma commit McGowan, and the two know each other from competing at camps and living in the metroplex.

— Where do things stand with McClellan coming out of the weekend? I’m told the feeling is that Texas made some good inroads and felt the Longhorns chipped away a bit. I’m told that McClellan gave indications that he plans to return later in the year for a visit. There was no feeling that the Longhorns took a lead in this recruitment, and McClellan will thoroughly evaluate all options before making a hasty decision.

— Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom made his return just two weeks after making an unofficial visit to Austin. I was told that the visit went as well as it could have. The Texas staff threw everything they could at Ransom and his family, and he was hosted by Caden Sterns who he made a connection with on his first visit. It sounds like Texas did a great job winning over Ransom’s father during the first two visits, and I’m told that progress was made with Ransom’s mother on this visit. The Texas coaches showcased the city of Austin on this visit with a boat trip down the river. I get the feeling that the city Ransom moves to will be a somewhat important factor.

— I was told that Jason Washington joined Craig Naivar during the visit weekend to help host Ransom and his family. Washington did not have any visitors on campus, and he’s one of the more gregarious coaches on staff. Washington and Naivar are doing a great job creating connections in this recruitment, and they’ve been able to make up a lot of ground in a short period of time.

— Where do things stand with Ransom? I’m told that Texas did a great job to establish itself at the very top of his list. I’ve previously reported that LSU was the school to worry about, but I think Texas is ahead of the Tigers at this point. Ransom officially visited Notre Dame last week, and he will see Ohio State for his final OV next week. As of now, I really like where Texas sits in this recruitment. I’m not quite ready to put in a Crystal Ball prediction, but I feel that we will have a clear view following his trip to Columbus.

— Highland Park four-star defensive end Prince Dorbah was another prospect who made an official visit over the weekend. I was told that Dorbah opened up on the trip, and he really enjoyed himself. In talking with sources around Highland Park, I was told they would be somewhat shocked if Dorbah didn’t end up at Texas. Austin presents a comparable environment to Highland Park, and many former HP students end up at Texas

— The Longhorns had to overcome some negative recruiting in this race as well.  Dorbah was told by opposing schools that Texas planned to beef him up and turn him into a 4i, but the Longhorns combated that on this visit by presenting Dorbah with their plan to make him a devastating edge rusher from the b-backer position.  Dorbah will also see LSU and USC before making a decision later in the summer, but I feel good about my Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns here.

— Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card made his official visit over the weekend. The Lake Travis passer was originally set to be on campus next week, but a personal obligation forced him to reschedule. As a local prospect, Card can be on campus whenever he wants, and he wanted to get the visit out of the way with Lake Travis preparing for another deep run this season. Card is a strong recruiter because of his personality and easy going nature, and he was able to work on the uncommitted prospects on campus this weekend.

— As we mentioned over the weekend in our round up article, Texas also held a camp during the visit weekend. A number of offers were sent out to underclassmen prospects, and it resonated well with the recruits who were offered. One of the notable offers was to Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe. While people might naturally relate that offer to Parish Episcopal quarterback Preston Stone, I’m told that Milroe really caught the coaches eye during the evaluation period. The Longhorns are still in a very strong position for Stone, but they are doing a good job not putting their eggs in one basket and combating the criticism that they often wait too long to offer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The Stampede

I was told

I was told

I’m told

I’m told

I’ve been told

I’m told

source told me

I’m told

I’m told

I was told

I’m told

I was told

I’m told

I was told

I was told

was told

I’m told

I see Burton's really been putting in the overtime training Roach. 

I’m told that McClellan and his mother have a lot of respect for Texas running back coach Stan Drayton

Suck it, @golfclap

• Like 2

Giles: I don't wanna hear about no motherfucking ifs! All I wanna hear from your ass is, "You ain't got no problem, Giles. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggas out and wait for the cavalry, which should be coming directly."
Mehringer: [calmly] You ain't got no problem, Giles. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggas out and wait for the Card, who should be coming directly.
Giles: You sending the Card?
Mehringer: Feel better, motherfucker?
Giles: [grinning] Shit, yeah, Homo! That's all you had to say!

Right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IT

By: Justin Wells

HUDSON CARD

The first commit for UT’s #cloUT2020 is becoming more of a leader by the day. You won’t see much on social media, but behind the scenes, Card is coordinating with recruits and making the pitch for Texas.

“It was awesome,” said Card, about his official visit. “The biggest thing was just hanging out with the players more and getting to know them.”

Card, the four-star from Lake Travis, has been active recently, taking C.E. King safety Bryson Washington out on the lake a couple weeks back. He knows it’s his job and duty to not only build this class, but lead it.

His future as Texas signal-caller is becoming more clear by the day.

“I can see how it’s going to be when I end up moving in (on campus),” said Card. "(This weekend) was a lot of fun though. Love hanging out with players and getting to know the recruits better.”

Does Card’s recruiting skills match his four-star status on the field? He made sure to spend as much time with Aledo’s Jase McClellan, the four-star OU pledge who made his official visit to Texas this weekend.

“I think so,” Card said. “We made a good impression for sure.”

Card knows for him to reach his potential as a player he'll need to be surrounded by similarly talented players.

PRINCE DORBAH

“Culture.” 

The Fresh Prince of Highland Park made his official visit this weekend and one thing kept standing out over the 48-hour trip; culture.

We haven’t heard much from the four-star linebacker because that’s the way he likes it. He’s not anti-media; he’s actually quite comfortable with his notoriety. He just doesn’t mess with anything that isn’t a priority. From summer workouts to basketball tournaments, Dorbah stays busy with work. In his eyes, it’s a job. That approach is why Texas made him a priority over a year ago.

“The culture there is like none other,” said Dorbah, about his recent trip to Austin. “It’s a big family.”

He absolutely loved his visit, while being hosted by Joseph Ossai and Caden Sterns. Ossai and Dorbah have built a great relationship. There’s a lot in common here and the two have like-minds.

He’ll take an official visit to USC this weekend, then the Peach Jam basketball tournament in South Carolina next week. What word describes the effort by the UT staff and players?

“Toughness,” said Dorbah. “It’s always a great atmosphere. The coaches were fun to talk to like always, players always cool.”

Not to put the cart-before-the-horse, but Texas looks outstanding here and I just don’t see that changing.

MORE NOTES

Salpointe Catholic’s (AZ) safety Lathan Ransom made a return trip to Austin after his unofficial visit in early June. It’s been known these two visits were key for Texas to make up ground and potentially take the lead. We feel they've done that.

Program sources say Ransom, who was hosted by Brandon Jones, loved his return to campus and that the Horns are in a great spot moving forward.

We think this has become a two-horse race; Texas and Ohio State. Ransom will visit Columbus for an official visit this coming weekend. That trip will tell us where Texas stands going into the dead period (6/24). At this point, Texas is more likely to land the Salpointe duo of Ransom and Bijan Robinson than to split them or land neither.

Five-star Calabasas (CA) WR Johnny Wilson is set to return to the Forty Acres with his family for another unofficial visit (per an unconfirmed report) after his unofficial just two weeks ago. This is key because he’ll hold onto his official visit for a return trip in the fall. Texas is chipping away here, but I’m hearing Oregon is the team to beat...at least for now.

UT has fit and opportunity to sell to Wilson. Some of these recruitments -- like Ransom's and Bijan Robinson's -- set up incredibly well for Texas.

By: Eric Nahlin

TEXAS OFFERS JAEDON ROBERTS, WILL EVALUATE MATTHEW ROBERTS FURTHER

The brothers are recent move-ins from Kansas who won a state championship at St. Thomas Aquinas in Overland Park, but will now help the Mustangs defend their title.

Jaedon is a 2021 mauling guard prospect. The kind you don't want to be in front of. He has the quickness to use angles but can also just run you over. Matthew is a 2020 edge rusher who will likely play off-the-ball linebacker in college.

Jaedon is the more higher profile of the two and was offered by Texas this weekend. The historically loaded 2021 offensive line class just got four-stars better. He's a great option for Texas in the class, but he won't come without a difficult fight. The interview was going great until he mentioned his dream school was LSU. North Shore kid + LSU dream school = Cajun country. NS coaches don't push kids to LSU, but if they need a ride to visit it won't be hard to find one.

He did say the biggest thing is he wants to play with his brother. The Texas coaches put Matthew through a bunch of drills in space. He's used to playing downhill and off the edge so it's a different type of muscle memory dropping into coverage. He says he thinks he did well and the staff said they're going to take a closer look at him.

Matthew was offered by A&M recently and that vaulted the Aggies into the lead.

He'll be interesting to watch. He measured in at 6-foot-1, 208 pounds which is close to what Josh White was a few months ago. With him being a 2020, and his brother saying "we've always played together, we're inseparable" I think it's only a matter of time before he sees his offers spike.

######

We'll have more recruiting notes tomorrow but hopefully we'll have a snippet on Jase McClellan today. We're still trying to track information down.

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, if there is one thing that has worked out well, it is bringing Hudson Card in as the class bell cow. When that guy shows up to help out on recruiting weekends, the fucking commitments start pouring in. 

Idiot alert. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, if there is one thing that has worked out well, it is bringing Hudson Card in as the class bell cow. When that guy shows up to help out on recruiting weekends, the fucking commitments start pouring in. 

But hey, white linemen seem to like him!

Giles: I don't wanna hear about no motherfucking ifs! All I wanna hear from your ass is, "You ain't got no problem, Giles. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggas out and wait for the cavalry, which should be coming directly."
Mehringer: [calmly] You ain't got no problem, Giles. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggas out and wait for the Card, who should be coming directly.

Right.

I thought it was, Shit Negro that’s all you had to say? 

Right.

I read that in Samuel l Jackson's voice.

Edited by cdain3

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

The update (more than lukewarm but doesn't really scare you to death, either) is here:

Seems like his decision is coming soon given all the OVs he's cramming in this week. Gotta crush it with him this weekend. Probably the target I want a commitment from most right now (maybe Broughton)