Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gbenda was at his 4 game limit so he wasn't going to play. Vaughns... come on, dude.

I meant in case it turns out to be more serous and they face suspensions or attrition next year. Obviously they donā€™t need them for this game.Ā 

SIAP on Alfred Collins.

From Hank South (247 staff;Ā  Alabama insider, I believe)

Spoiler

More on Alfred Collins from an Alabama angle:

Alfred Collins says he's still hearing from Alabama consistently. Talking to Brian Baker and Jeff Banks. Expect Nick Saban out to Bastrop next month at some point. Interesting note: his family is talking about making an unofficial visit out to Tuscaloosa in January (he already used his OV in September).

Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

SIAP on Alfred Collins.

From Hank South (247 staff;Ā  Alabama insider, I believe)

Ā  Hide contents

More on Alfred Collins from an Alabama angle:

Alfred Collins says he's still hearing from Alabama consistently. Talking to Brian Baker and Jeff Banks. Expect Nick Saban out to Bastrop next month at some point. Interesting note: his family is talking about making an unofficial visit out to Tuscaloosa in January (he already used his OV in September).

Ā 

Ā 

We're getting set up to get Jase McClellan'd and I hate it it.

At least he didn't torch our whole recruiting strategy at the position by being a huge primadonna.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Baylor signed 12 kids. They better be offering every unsigned recruit with a pulse.

Saw on twitter that Baylor only has room for 17 in this class and are expected to use a few of those spots on JUCOs/grad transfers - so they only have a couple of spots left for NSD2.Ā 

No idea if thatā€™s accurate though.

9.94 please.Ā 

Ā 

12 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I don't want Rakestraw to wind up at Baylor and develop like Grayland Arnold.Ā  Arnold was very good this season.Ā  We should offer Rakestraw. Ā 

Ā Then some other 3 star will go to Baylor and get developed. The problem wasnā€™t that we passed onĀ Arnold. Itā€™s that Baylorā€™s coaches developed their players and we didnā€™t.Ā 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ā Then some other 3 star will go to Baylor and get developed. The problem wasnā€™t that we passed onĀ Arnold. Itā€™s that Baylorā€™s coaches developed their players and we didnā€™t.Ā 

This guy gets it

https://247sports.com/Article/2020-All-American-Bowl-most-impressive-prospects-141345618/

Alfred Collins, DT, Bastrop (Texas) Cedar Creek

After weighing 247 in the spring, Collins weighed in at 284 and said he didnā€™t feel the weight gain at all but added it made him a meaner player. He measured 6-4 and 7/8 and had 35-inch arms and one of four with the biggest hands at 10 3/8 inches. Oklahoma and Texas are recruiting Collins the hardest with both schools plus Alabama leading for him at various times.

Bijan Robinson, RB, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic

The chiseled Texas-bound back measured in at 5-10 and weighed 212 pounds and looked chiseled. Robinson had 30 Ā¾-inch arms and 9Ā  5/8-inch hands and Texas is getting an extremely well put-together back.

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Didn't UT offer Arnold??

37 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

https://247sports.com/Article/2020-All-American-Bowl-most-impressive-prospects-141345618/

After weighing 247 in the spring, Collins weighed in at 284 and said he didnā€™t feel the weight gain at all but added it made him a meaner player. He measured 6-4 and 7/8 and had 35-inch arms and one of four with the biggest hands at 10 3/8 inches. Oklahoma and Texas are recruiting Collins the hardest with both schools plus Alabama leading for him at various times.

The chiseled Texas-bound back measured in at 5-10 and weighed 212 pounds and looked chiseled. Robinson had 30 Ā¾-inch arms and 9Ā  5/8-inch hands and Texas is getting an extremely well put-together back.

Surely they know the only measurement we want is Card's hands. What a tease.

16 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Surely they know the only measurement we want is Card's hands. What a tease.

Heā€™s had work done on them. Family hired a full-time hand consultant. Heā€™s apparently got those babies able to spread about 8.5 inches these days. Heā€™s getting hand transplants from a midget donor that died last year tragically in a freak accident during a box jumping competition at the local crossfit. Theyā€™re hoping the operation kicks him up to at least a 9.5 spread.Ā 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Was Bijan looking chiseled or not?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

What's a realistic finish for this class? Collins, Princely, Dixon, and one of Bradford/Gibbs?

Would hiring Emmett Jones allow us to flip Brennon Scott at LB?

We donā€™t want Scott at LB. Heā€™s way too slow. If Ash offered him, it would be a terrible sign.
Ā 

Dixon seems likely. I could see us not taking another RB if RoJo sticks there.Ā Ā Not sure weā€™ll get both Princely and Collins, but thatā€™s obviously the goal.

I can see usĀ taking another CB, and I think we should. Itā€™s a fairly significant need since we only landed one this year, and I expect weā€™ll find out we only landed one guy who can stick at CB from last yearā€™s class. Rakestraw or the GA kid seem to be the options. Id like to see Ash offer Rakestraw soon. Heā€™s worth a spot IMO.Ā 
A JUCO LB is another potential option, depending on whoā€™s available and how many spots we have left at that point. Hard to say at CB and LB when we donā€™t have thoseĀ position coaches yet, but IT said Ash is watching a lot of recruitsā€™Ā tape already, so hopefully heā€™s aware of Rakestraw and looking for someone whoā€™s ready to play LB right away.Ā 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

What's a realistic finish for this class? Collins, Princely, Dixon, and one of Bradford/Gibbs?

Would hiring Emmett Jones allow us to flip Brennon Scott at LB?

Probably one of Collins and Princely. Maybe both. Maybe neither. Dixon is probable. I haven't heard anything about Bradford recently, but Gibbs would be a crazy pull and very unlikely.Ā 

Brennon Scott doesn't have the lateral quickness to succeed in Ash's defense and would be an unlikely flip target. Especially with the addition of Ford.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Heā€™s had work done on them. Family hired a full-time hand consultant. Heā€™s apparently got those babies able to spread about 8.5 inches these days. Heā€™s getting hand transplants from a midget donor that died last year tragically in a freak accident during a box jumping competition at the local crossfit. Theyā€™re hoping the operation kicks him up to at least a 9.5 spread.Ā 

Do you have first hand knowledge of transplants from midget donors? Ā 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Oscar Giles laughs at your general direction

Heā€™s why I included the ā€œjust about.ā€ Trading out him for Okam is still on the wish list for me, though I donā€™t think it happens. But if thatā€™s our biggest coaching gripe, then it will be a massive, massive improvement over last year.Ā 

• Like 2