Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

well, at least this guy has a possibility of being here past this season if we win 10 plus games. 

that was my worry with Harrell. he has HC in his eyes and probably wouldn't be here past next season if we had hired him and won 10 games or more. 

you want guys to move up and out. but you dont want to be on the coaching carousel every year either

1 minute ago, NorLa Horns said:

well, at least this guy has a possibility of being here past this season if we win 10 plus games. 

that was my worry with Harrell. he has HC in his eyes and probably wouldn't be here past next season if we had hired him and won 10 games or more. 

you want guys to move up and out. but you dont want to be on the coaching carousel every year either

You get the best coach available.  The object is to maximize wins in 2020.  After that, you worry about after that.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I would say that Yurchich has HC eyes, but if he comes here and gets hired as a HC elsewhere, that means we're winning and he did his job.  Ash obviously wanted to be a HC, but he need to rehabilitate his rep after the disaster that Rutgers was.

Either way, losing coordinators to HC positions isn't a bad thing.  That means we're doing well and we should be able to find other talented coaches to take the reigns without having to beg/money whip

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I would say that Yurchich has HC eyes, but if he comes here and gets hired as a HC elsewhere, that means we're winning and he did his job.  Ash obviously wanted to be a HC, but he need to rehabilitate his rep after the disaster that Rutgers was.

Either way, losing coordinators to HC positions isn't a bad thing.  That means we're doing well and we should be able to find other talented coaches to take the reigns without having to beg/money whip

I look forward to the day when we know coaches take our coordinator jobs with HC aspirations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Ash is not considered a plus recruiter, that was the knock on him coming out of OSU. 247 doesn't even have any recruits associated with him. Yurich has 2 from his time at the other OSU.  Thats fine, your coordinators shouldn't be your best recruiters other than the OC and QB relationship.

Orlando was a negative because his scheme was recruited against and he did nothing to counter that.

He said "active recruiter", and by all accounts he works his ass off in that department, even if he's not a "plus" recruiter. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'm back to following recruiting. Which high school seniors are we looking at for the remaining slots? I assume we hit a lull in recruiting as Carrington helped hold the class together. The new staff may have a different wish list yet most of the top guys have already used up all of their official visits. 

Okay, I'm back to following recruiting. Which high school seniors are we looking at for the remaining slots? I assume we hit a lull in recruiting as Carrington helped hold the class together. The new staff may have a different wish list yet most of the top guys have already used up all of their official visits. 

Oh, goody.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

No. Just no. If you’re “back to following recruiting” do yourself a favor and head over to the ‘21 thread
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

Collins is a big target, probably the biggest.

Oh cool. You wanna only follow recruiting when you’re pumping sunshine. Then you can go back and read the whole fucking thread. Ain’t nobody got time to update your fair-weathered ass.
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Oh cool. You wanna only follow recruiting when you’re pumping sunshine. Then you can go back and read the whole fucking thread. Ain’t nobody got time to update your fair-weathered ass.

Yes, although I don't pump sunshine or need to hear sunshine - I just try to avoid the tribbing. Right now I don't really care yet who we lost: I care more about who is left for us to recruit and how many spots we have left for high school seniors. I imagine we are going to go hard into the grad transfer market because Herman can't afford to fuck up next year. But the grad transfer market has its own thread.

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yes, although I don't pump sunshine or need to hear sunshine - I just try to avoid the tribbing. Right now I don't really care yet who we lost: I care more about who is left for us to recruit and how many spots we have left for high school seniors. I imagine we are going to go hard into the grad transfer market because Herman can't afford to fuck up next year. But the grad transfer market has its own thread.

You just want the Cliff Notes because you are too good to be anything but above the fray? You can rightfully go fuck off. Participation in this thread is an entire mind, body and soul experience. Go pay 9.95 for the quick and dirty. The only quick and dirty you will find here is South Austin’s mom. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You just want the Cliff Notes because you are too good to be anything but above the fray? You can rightfully go fuck off. Participation in this thread is an entire mind, body and soul experience. Go pay 9.95 for the quick and dirty. The only quick and dirty you will find here is South Austin’s mom. 

You talk all high and mighty, but it takes all types to reach 1000. I am your hope so give me my update.

You’re an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

I mean, what are they gonna say, man, when he's gone? 'Cause he dies when it dies, man! When it dies, he dies! What are they gonna say about him? What? Are they gonna say he was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullshit, man!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

That's why I only go on her shower days.

• Fuck You 1

Allen Trieu: Texas signees Kitan Crawford, Vernon Broughton react to new DC

Several Texas signees are participating in this week's Under Armour All-America Game. The defensive commits were asked at check-in about new defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who takes over for Todd Orlando. "I have talked to him on the phone," defensive lineman Vernon Broughton said. "He's a good dude. Since we run the four-front, it's going to be great, I just have to get better. I texted him and contacted him the first day he got there and had a conversation with him," said defensive back Kitan Crawford. "It was mainly getting to know each other and just talking about him getting there and getting to meet him."

Broughton said from what he understands, his role or roles in Ash's system will be similar to what the plan was for him under Orlando. "He (Ash) said I can play everywhere, I just need to come in and work my butt off," Broughton said. Both Crawford and Broughton have had an opportunity to see some of Ash's credentials. "I saw some things about him in the media but not really," Crawford said. I saw his background, everybody was putting it out," Broughton said. "Basically if you treat me right, I'll treat you right and I'll get better either way."

Crawford said Orlando's departure did not affect his thoughts about Texas at all. "I wasn't that close to him, I was mainly close to my DBs coach, Coach Washington," he explained. "I've got a bond with him. Me and him go way back. We have a connection. I really didn't know the defensive coordinator -- I mean I know him -- we just didn't have a relationship."

Crawford is not enrolling early but Broughton is. "I get to campus January 15th or 16th, that's when I get in the dorm," Broughton said. "I'm going to try to fight for the starting spot and work my behind off." The Under Armour All-America Game will take place on Thursday, January 2nd. 247Sports will have full coverage during practice week including reports and highlights.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We actually have very good DL talent in Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat.  Add TQ, Bimage, And incoming guys like Broughton and possibly Collins and you’ve got a solid fucking group of athletic guys with good motors.  Build around that.  4 man front is going to take advantage of our DL talent.

You forgot Ossai, but yeah, our DL next year will be pretty solid, assuming Ash doesn’t do some stupid shit like moving Ossai to LB and starting TQ at DE. 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

We actually have very good DL talent in Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat.  Add TQ, Bimage, And incoming guys like Broughton and possibly Collins and you’ve got a solid fucking group of athletic guys with good motors.  Build around that.  4 man front is going to take advantage of our DL talent.

Still no DE pass rushers besides Ossai.