Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Damn at least he could have tried to block down like everyone else. The LG didn’t touch a soul either. That’s embarrassing.

That’s the biggest issue. Texas lost that play before the snap. I am not going to say that Jones is great, when asked to block one on one, but that is lack of communication. That can’t happen. It sucks to watch OL get beat, but it’s next level frustrating to watch OL get beat on pure stupidity and that wasn’t a particularly crafty scheme 

7 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

WTF 

This is just Okafor being a dumbass. Guy in your A gap slants inside, he should immediately look to B gap. This shit is taught in high school.

Moving Kerstetter to LG and starting Karic at RT is probably a good thing, long term.

Edited by DFW Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is a little much, guys. They've improved incrementally but make no mistake, yesterday's success was far more about Bijan consistently turning 0-2 yard runs into much more than anything the OL did. Casey Thompson was not kept particularly clean. Trotting Christian Jones out there is getting indefensible. Look at that absolute whiff on video a couple posts up - that's ultimately on Flood. And while it has been good to see Flood and Sark incorporate more outside zone into the rushing attack the past few weeks, they spent all of fall camp trying to make this an inside power running unit, and got blown the fuck up by Arkansas for that mistake.

The jury is going to remain out on Flood until at least next year. Maybe he'll earn the high praise eventually, but he hasn't to this point.

Agree to disagree. Texas has rushed for 427, 336, and 272 yards in consecutive weeks. It would have been well over 300 yards rushing if you would have counted the little shovel pass sweeps to K Robinson and Worthy as runs. If you had told me before the season that we would be able to do that with Christian Jones and Denzel Okafor on the field at the same time I would have told you to seek medical attention. TCU was a quality defensive opponent, and it was a tougher road to get there, but we got there. 

That said, our pass blocking is an absolute liability. Christian Jones is the worst left tackle I have seen since I can remember as a pass blocker. He is a major liability and needs to be benched or moved inside to guard. A lineup of Karic, Jones, Majors, Angilau, and Kerstetter may be our best combination if Okafor remains out for extended time. Make no mistake, he is going to get our QBs killed, and if he doesn't I would suspect that it is because we are scheming help for him with RBs and TE help. I don't quite understand why we haven't done more of that to this point, but I fully expect Grinch to bring heat from our left side all day long next Saturday. 

Edited by Vertigo

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Agree to disagree. Texas has rushed for 427, 336, and 272 yards in consecutive weeks. It would have been well over 300 yards rushing if you would have counted the little shovel pass sweeps to K Robinson and Worthy as runs. If you had told me before the season that we would be able to do that with Christian Jones and Denzel Okafor on the field at the same time I would have told you to seek medical attention. TCU was a quality defensive opponent, and it was a tougher road to get there, but we got there. 

That said, our pass blocking is an absolute liability. Christian Jones is the worst left tackle I have seen since I can remember as a pass blocker. He is a major liability and needs to be benched or moved inside to guard. A lineup of Karic, Jones, Majors, Angilau, and Kerstetter may be our best combination if Okafor remains out for extended time. Make no mistake, he is going to get our QBs killed, and if he doesn't I would suspect that it is because we are scheming help for him with RBs and TE help. I don't quite understand why we haven't done more of that to this point, but I fully expect Grinch to bring heat from our left side all day long next Saturday. 

I'd probably swap tackles if Okafor is out for awhile;

RT Jones, RG Angilau, C Majors, LG Kerstetter, LT Karic

• Hook 'Em 2

I bet if you gave Flood some truth serum, or maybe just a few strong drinks, he would agree that our best line right now would be Karic and Kerstetter at the tackles, and someone else in that guard spot. "Buuuuut.... Jones is so close. Once the light comes on, he will be dominant and become a first round pick". 

Or something. It's hubris at this point. He thinks he can make him into something he's not. Hope that's right and he can do it in the next oh six days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Clearly our OL has problems, and yes we got pig-fucked, but it's hard to argue with results at this point, even with an all-world backfield. Props to them kids.

Roschon’s 22 yards on 7 carries with a long of 6 is more indicative of our oline production. Bijan is superhuman. The duck under two tacklers to prevent a loss. Dude gets 2-3 yards when play isnt blocked. He leans for extra 2-3 yards at first contact. Best running back since Ricky.

I dont understand left tackle. You cant play that position if you can’t engage edge rushers consistently.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It's not a matter of opinion that a vast majority of the rushing yards yesterday were either miraculously manufactured by Bijan making defenders miss in at or within a couple of yards of the line of scrimmage, or from Casey Thompson gaining 40 yards when bailing on a designed passing play. There's not much else to say if your metric is that simplistic.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I just remembered that the announcers yesterday called Jones "a turnstile". And said something like "Texas has to do something with the left tackle".

Yeah I need to rewatch because nervous drinking but I think that was after the TCU edge guy lit up Casey 3 times in one drive running right by Jones.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I just remembered that the announcers yesterday called Jones "a turnstile". And said something like "Texas has to do something with the left tackle".

And we have a perfectly capable starter just sitting on the bench. Flood’s obstinance is going to cost us wins this season. Infuriating. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, it was Khari Coleman lighting him up during that stretch. The DE that hadn’t played all season and came back yesterday. 

45 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I bet if you gave Flood some truth serum, or maybe just a few strong drinks, he would agree that our best line right now would be Karic and Kerstetter at the tackles, and someone else in that guard spot. "Buuuuut.... Jones is so close. Once the light comes on, he will be dominant and become a first round pick". 

Or something. It's hubris at this point. He thinks he can make him into something he's not. Hope that's right and he can do it in the next oh six days. 

Henry Higgins did a masterful transformatory job but he ended up with a girl. Powerful afraid Flood's headed down that same path . . .

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Bama is still continuing their dominance in the trenches without Flood...

It's almost like they have been recruiting and being developed at an extremely high level for years, and didn't have mail-it-in-mac, potato and Mensa working on their lines.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

It's almost like they have been recruiting and being developed at an extremely high level for years, and didn't have mail-it-in-mac, potato and Mensa working on their lines.  

Exactly, so was it really Flood that made a difference or are they just loaded with talent? (rhetorical question) 

I’m here too. Now Rice and Tech are different stories than TCU. TCU was pretty much Bijan. But either the play calling or Thompson’s decision making were not helpful yesterday in making the Oline job easier. Maybe it’s Thompson locking in on Worthy too much, but that created some issues yesterday. The intermediate pass game was missing yesterday except for the Whittington TD. My guess is that TCU had some fresh stuff for us and were focused on the run. With the Oline, one dude may totally whiff, but the others are doing their job on that same. And we have some whipping ass on any given play. And they are playing with effort and you see that in the effort to push Bijan past the sticks/goal line. The whiffs were limited versus Tech but returned some versus TCU. As noted above, that is a communication issue and would attribute some to Patterson being good at what he does.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

This is just Okafor being a dumbass. Guy in your A gap slants inside, he should immediately look to B gap. This shit is taught in high school.

Moving Kerstetter to LG and starting Karic at RT is probably a good thing, long term.

the only thing is what call is the center making?  that said, there are 3 guys on his side that are in a potential attack position and only 2 blockers. Jones should take the end.  if the DB comes it is Casey's responsibility to hit the RB on the flair.

• Hook 'Em 1

If he is whiffing on 60% of plays at LT what is moving him to guard going to do? You either can block or you can’t. 

At guard, there’s less space to worry about. At left tackle, you’re on an island. You’re protecting the flank.

Karic-Jones-Majors-Angelou-Kerstetter should have been the unit from Day 1. Not sure Jones can play guard.

34 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

At guard, there’s less space to worry about. At left tackle, you’re on an island. You’re protecting the flank.

Karic-Jones-Majors-Angelou-Kerstetter should have been the unit from Day 1. Not sure Jones can play guard.

Question, if you aren't sure Jones can play guard, why would you propose he should have been playing guard from day 1?

Not sure why people keep thinking Karic is some magical cure. He got beat early and often yesterday.

I think DK needs to stay at RT and insert someone else at LG. Karic and Jones would get eaten alive by OU's pass rush. We need at least one tackle who can protect

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Not sure why people keep thinking Karic is some magical cure. He got beat early and often yesterday.

I think DK needs to stay at RT and insert someone else at LG. Karic and Jones would get eaten alive by OU's pass rush. We need at least one tackle who can protect

no one thinks Karic is going to be great there. He’s just better than Jones, which is a low bar. 

Question, if you aren't sure Jones can play guard, why would you propose he should have been playing guard from day 1?

Jones getting reps at guard in the Spring and Fall Camp would probably work better than seeing him continue to flounder at tackle. Our DTs rave about him, so we should have found a position for him. He cant play tackle.

6 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Jones getting reps at guard in the Spring and Fall Camp would probably work better than seeing him continue to flounder at tackle. Our DTs rave about him, so we should have found a position for him. He cant play tackle.

which tells you  all you need to know about anyone else they could put there.

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Conner makes a lot of sense, but given the communication problems do you want to put a freshman next to Jones? Not to mention next game is RRS and you can be sure Grinch will be moving DL/LBs around 

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Does Jones drive/run block well enough for guard? That's the question. To your point, he won't have to move as well pass blocking there.

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Does Jones drive/run block well enough for guard? That's the question. To your point, he won't have to move as well pass blocking there.

He still has to figure out who to pick up or help if playing guard. His mental breakdowns are devastating. Okafor has burned us with the same issue at times. Grinch is going to scramble their brains with shifts and stunts. Knowing what they are supposed to do is more the problem than physical limitation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elguapo said:

Yeah I need to rewatch because nervous drinking but I think that was after the TCU edge guy lit up Casey 3 times in one drive running right by Jones.

Fuck it.

I'm just going to watch and see if Jones blocks anyone on Bijan's highlight runs.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a toss up, they are both bad. Karic is light in the rear and can’t anchor 

Can Karic (or anyone else) get a hand on defenders before they run by? Upgrade.

Cant have defenders get free shots on Thompson. Thompson can do something when a tackle is getting pushed into the pocket.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

If we only have one tackle that can protect he needs to be the left tackle but that screws up our OZ right which has been killing it.

Just now, Red Five said:

Wait so now Karic is bad too? Where did that come from? I thought he played fine on Saturday.

he did. he was fine. average. he’s not good. we still need to find good OL. hopefully flood can develop and we also hit the portal hard and recruit well.