Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

22 hours ago, hullabelew said:

A bunch of cool people got together at the Troubadour and paid tribute to a song thief.   But we got this gem out of it.  I read about the show but didn't think it would be recorded.   Still, someone got a decent video of it.   Isbell and Sadler also did a cover of Kodachrome.  

Damn. fucking love Dwight. I need to see him again.

4 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I follow him for his recovery even more than his music. 
Who was that presenter, and how does she feel about balding midwestern ranchers?  

Also why I was hoping they would record that MusiCares night at the Troubadour.  MusiCares is paid for by the Grammy's and it takes place at the same rehab where Isbell went.  It's a really great thing they do and it doesn't get enough press.  They guy who runs the program at that treatment center is a very talented dude and a great guy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve never been someone to actually give a shit about the relationships and marriages of entertainers and other celebrities, but this news hurts my heart. I love both of them as artists, and Amanda was a vital support in Jason’s sobriety and recovery. There seemed to be something really pure, and I’m sure there was. One of the things that sucks about relationships is that they all have expiration dates. We just don’t get to know that date or type of expiration. I’ve said the serious part, so here’s the Surly part: It was probably because of the new choppers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I’ve never been someone to actually give a shit about the relationships and marriages of entertainers and other celebrities, but this news hurts my heart. I love both of them as artists, and Amanda was a vital support in Jason’s sobriety and recovery. There seemed to be something really pure, and I’m sure there was. One of the things that sucks about relationships is that they all have expiration dates. We just don’t get to know that date or type of expiration. I’ve said the serious part, so here’s the Surly part: It was probably because of the new choppers. 

Not a huge surprise after seeing the tension between them in the doc.

I wonder if Amanda’s substance use was part of this.  She had a weed pen or a wine glass in damn near every scene of the HBO doc.

I’m not saying she has a substance use problem, but rather that it would be difficult IMO to be completely sober while living with someone who isn’t.  Jason has hinted at it lyrically (It Gets Easier).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not a huge surprise after seeing the tension between them in the doc.

I wonder if Amanda’s substance use was part of this.  She had a weed pen or a wine glass in damn near every scene of the HBO doc.

I’m not saying she has a substance use problem, but rather that it would be difficult IMO to be completely sober while living with someone who isn’t.  Jason has hinted at it lyrically (It Gets Easier).

Since it is reported that Jason was the one who filed for divorce, you would naturally expect that he found something untenable in her behavior, fidelity, support/emotional ability, etc. And yeah, after the HBO doc and hints in lyrics on both of their records, it’s not a complete shock. Hope the dude stays sober & healthy. 

There’s always been something about her that didn’t seem to fit with him (to me). I can’t really put my finger on it.

But I hope it’s amicable for Mercy’s sake and I sure as hell hope he stays clear of the bottle.

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s always been something about her that didn’t seem to fit with him (to me). I can’t really put my finger on it.

But I hope it’s amicable for Mercy’s sake and I sure as hell hope he stays clear of the bottle.

She’s always seemed a little bitchy to me. But what do I know.

This is a bummer though. It’s weird because of how well he writes I feel like I know him like a friend. And as a friend I’d worry about him staying on the wagon through what are likely going to be some rough times.

Def wish the best for both of him.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

From the outside looking in things seemed to change after the ectopic pregnancy. She was very rarely at 400 Unit shows after that, which means they were not together much. 

Alao, he got Amanda as a broke alcoholic. It’ll be interesting to see who he lands now. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

It gets easier, but it never gets easy
I can say it's all worth it
But you won't believe me
You can't expect her to follow your lead
She's fine with wine and her weed
It gets easier, but it never gets easy
It never gets easy

When your words mean nothing
When the world turns to monochrome
And you know she's not bluffing
'Cause you feel it in your bones
You feel it in your bones
Oh, and did you ever love a woman with a death wish?
Something in her eyes like flipping off a light switch
Everybody dies but you gotta find a reason to carry on
Oh, and did you ever catch her climbing on the rooftop
Higher than a kite, dead of winter in a tank top?
I don't wanna fight with you, baby, but I won't leave you alone

Jason definitely saw this coming awhile ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1

every interaction i had with her she was super sweet and down to earth.  i shared a table with her at the airport when she was flying back from willie's picnic in 2015.  she was very pregnant and that was her last show.  we talked about kids and new orleans (where i was flying to) for a few minutes.  i reminded her that i'd met her a few times with my oldest daughter and she remembered her name and everything.  it is possible that his fame changed their dynamic and her personality over the years.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

every interaction i had with her she was super sweet and down to earth.  

Yeah, I'm not speaking from any personal experience or anything, I've never met her.   It's just a vibe I get, and I'm quite likely wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Her last album was a (very great) breakup album so this is the least surprising news ever. 

Yeah, someone pointed out elsewhere this lyric from her song "Fault Lines" referencing Jason's song, "Flagship":

"And the character you wrote yoursеlf out to be -- The flagship -- all part of my fooling"

Ouch

I don’t want to do the thing where I’m looking for problems with the woman instead of my dude. But she has always had this crazy anxious energy anywhere I’ve seen her speak. For me, sobriety could almost be *mostly* defined as a systematic effort to reduce anxiety in my life.

on the flip, in that documentary when Isbell got into that weird lyrics argument with her, it reminded me of Jay Bennet being the world’s most difficult asshole about Heavy Metal Drummer in I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

• Hook 'Em 1

I also thought it was odd that she didn't accompany him to the Grammy's and he took his tour manager as his +1.

I love Isbell, but I would imagine he's probably not the easiest person to be in a relationship with. You could probably say the same thing about Amanda, I don't know.

Edited by Art Vandelay

According to Facebook, I saw Jason at First Ave in Minneapolis 10 years ago today.  I took a picture of him and Amanda singing "Mutineer" by Warren Zevon and captioned it "the heirs apparent to Johnny and June".

That's some irony in your Thursday.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Speaking of country artists I would bang, does Musgraves belong in this thread? New album 3/15. Beautiful art design.

IMG_6561.thumb.jpeg.91e91b94909bee343ae33976d2eeb91d.jpeg

I really like her new song with Zach Bryan, but not as much as I appreciate that album cover. 
I received a marketing email for the new album, and it’s either a really bad picture of Kacey, or she had her lips filled. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

every interaction i had with her she was super sweet and down to earth.  i shared a table with her at the airport when she was flying back from willie's picnic in 2015.  she was very pregnant and that was her last show.  we talked about kids and new orleans (where i was flying to) for a few minutes.  i reminded her that i'd met her a few times with my oldest daughter and she remembered her name and everything.  it is possible that his fame changed their dynamic and her personality over the years.

That was also almost a decade ago. Pics from her back then don’t look like the same person (more modest, fewer tattoos). 

So it’s settled: we’re all taking him in the divorce yeah?

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That was also almost a decade ago. Pics from her back then don’t look like the same person (more modest, fewer tattoos). 

So it’s settled: we’re all taking him in the divorce yeah?

Not necessarily.  It’s his second.  He might be sober, but there’s plenty of evidence that he’s an insufferable narcissistic twat IRL regardless.

I still fuckin’ love his music.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Go check out the lyrics to “Empty Cups” and “Fault Lines” off her last album (suggestion from Reddit). Seems pretty plain when you read that.

Yeah, that's been clear for a long time.

"I wrote 'Fault Lines' because I was trying to find a door or an opening into a disconnect that I was having in my marriage," Shires says. "And I thought, 'Well, we always communicate well with songs. ... Maybe this will get the door open to getting stuff solved.' So, I wrote the song and I recorded a little demo and I sent it to my husband. He did not listen to it."

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/1114881570/on-take-it-like-a-man-amanda-shires-takes-aim-for-the-heavens