Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He’s been wearing Balenciaga and Gucci for years. His best friend is the Editorial Director for GQ. Where have y’all been?

I've been over here, just minding my business, being not gay and not noticing Gucci and Balenciaga because of the whole not gay thing. 

• Haha 6

In all fairness to Jason, who among us didn't lose our minds a bit after a divorce. 

I fucking cringe when I think about what an asshole my newly-single self turned into.  Started dating a few women and I was horrible.  The wonderful woman I've been with for a decade wouldn't have spent 15 seconds with me in the immediate aftermath of my divorce.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

In all fairness to Jason, who among us didn't lose our minds a bit after a divorce. 

I fucking cringe when I think about what an asshole my newly-single self turned into.  Started dating a few women and I was horrible.  The wonderful woman I've been with for a decade wouldn't have spent 15 seconds with me in the immediate aftermath of my divorce.

This is true, and I’ve lived it myself. There’s something that comes over you once the yoke of a toxic relationship has been thrown off and you’re flooded with an intense sense of freedom and possibilities. It can take a minute to get your needle back to true north. 

I don’t care about the veneers, the fashion choices, the Twitter scuffles, or any douchebaggery to come. Just write good songs and do right as as father for that special little girl. 

Edited by Whitewater Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Wyatt Flores had a breakdown on stage last night and is getting some help. Kid is immensely talented. Only 22 years old. Hope he can get right and come back better than ever. “Please Don’t Go” is a jam. Does a hell of a cover of “How to Save a Life”. 

So I don't keep up very well, and my 18yo son and I have decidedly disparate musical tastes... but he sent me something by Stephen Wilson Jr. and I've been listening to his stuff all day.  Holy shit.

Even his stuff that toes the line with bro country is pretty damn clever, and skews a bit dark.  And "Son of Dad" is a great name for an album.

• Hook 'Em 2

looks like john mulaney cosplaying ryan adams, but this is intriguing - 

Stephen Wilson Jr. is a singer/songwriter from rural Southern Indiana. Self-described as “Death Cab For Country,” Stephen Wilson Jr. draws upon indie rock, grunge and country to create a distinct sound that is influenced by artists as diverse as The National, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Nirvana.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I don't really get out much beyond listening to KUTX, but I kinda felt like I got hit by a WTF truck.  Wasn't sure if it belonged in this thread or the one about "shit your kid is listening to that actually doesn't suck."

33 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

looks like john mulaney cosplaying ryan adams, but this is intriguing - 

Stephen Wilson Jr. is a singer/songwriter from rural Southern Indiana. Self-described as “Death Cab For Country,” Stephen Wilson Jr. draws upon indie rock, grunge and country to create a distinct sound that is influenced by artists as diverse as The National, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Nirvana.

That's actually a pretty accurate description of what he sounds like.

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Oh I’ve heard this cuckoo song a bunch somewhere

It's my least favorite.  Catchy, but sort of stands out as light compared to the rest.  He hits some serious pathos on Year To Be Young and American Gothic.

Isbell’s voice was pretty right tonight when reaching for higher notes, but he said he had a good and it was lingering.  

Fun show - Sadler did Honeysuckle Blues pure solo. 

Set:

Speed Trap Town
Save the world 
King of Oklahoma 
Strawberry woman 
Last of my Kind 
Super 8
Cover me up 
Overseas 
Hope the High Road
Alabama Pines
Elephant 
Stockholm 
Flying over Water
White Beretta
Honeysuckle Blue
Decoration Day
Cast Iron Skillet
24 Framws

—-

If We Were Vampires
This Aint It 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Isbell’s voice was pretty right tonight when reaching for higher notes, but he said he had a good and it was lingering.  

Set:

Speed Trap Town
Save the world 
King of Oklahoma 
Strawberry woman 
Last of my Kind 
Super 8
Cover me up 
Overseas 
Hope the High Road
Alabama Pines
Elephant 
Stockholm 
Flying over Water
White Beretta
Honeysuckle Blue
Decoration Day
Cast Iron Skillet
24 Framws

—-

If We Were Vampires
This Aint It 

What did he say about Coach Terry?  

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Set:

Speed Trap Town
Save the world 
King of Oklahoma 
Strawberry woman 
Last of my Kind 
Super 8
Cover me up 
Overseas 
Hope the High Road
Alabama Pines
Elephant 
Stockholm 
Flying over Water
White Beretta
Honeysuckle Blue
Decoration Day
Cast Iron Skillet
24 Framws

—-

If We Were Vampires
This Aint It 

Honeysuckle Blue by Drivin' N Cryin'?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 6:48 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

That sounds like a phenomenal show.  John Fullbright is criminally underrated.

Agreed. Took the wife to his show recently, her take away “good lord he’s way too young to be that dark, get him a therapist”… couldn’t but both laugh and agree. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Took the wife to his show recently, her take away “good lord he’s way too young to be that dark, get him a therapist”… couldn’t but both laugh and agree. 
They are both funny guys but not the happiest songs come out. Bruce said he writes sad songs and slightly faster sad songs.

I wish it was legal to tie barbed wire around the scrotums of people who yell during acoustical songs. 

During a particularly quiet part of a Ben Harper show my girlfriend yelled “BEN HARPER IS GOD!”

He looked right at us and said, “Kind of a lot of pressure, don’t you think.”

Come to think of it we broke up later that night.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2