Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That's assuming NIL legal rules are being followed... disgruntled players will still have leverage in many cases. aggy signing best class in history in not relying on pinky promises and "trust me"

That’s his entire point. What we’re doing and what aggy is doing are different and will have different ramifications. 

1 hour ago, hook me said:

Including transfers so far? 

QB, CB, & potentially WR if Stewart ends up being a cancer. 

a&m signed a hell of a DL class & then went out and hired a DC that typically runs 3 man fronts. I'm sure a few of those guys will end up at LB but they're going to have to answer a lot of questions about playing time or they're going to force their new DC to run a defensive scheme he didn't run at either of his last two stops & still answer questions about playing time because their DL haul from last year was pretty good as well. Sounds promising.

Congrats on the #1 class though. Maybe a 9 win season is within reach now.

Let's not get carried away 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

That is quintessentially aggy. They can't be happy with what they have accomplished, they need to exaggerate it up just a little bit more. 

And if they come back and explain that "AKSHUALLY" there is more than one TE in Sweden (I personally have no idea), that's would be even more of the same. 

This guy, Ohrstrom, is apparently really good. The OU 9.95's said he had "the best workout [they'd] seen in many years of covering OU summer camps." OU offered him immediately after that workout, but as was typical for the 2022 class, he shut down recruiting after visiting A&M.

2 hours ago, statsman said:

There is a problem with dropping bags. 
David Stanley was probably the equivalent of a four star recruit in the ‘80s. SMU bought him. He wasn’t panning out, which was fine…it happens. SMU understood and were ready to continue their commitment. Problem is that Stanley wanted more, and SMU wouldn’t pay. Stanley got upset and went to Dale Hansen. 

And if I’m not mistaken, he was from Pennsylvania. Aggie needs to watch out for all of these out of staters they bought. They’re the ones who will get homesick when they realize what a dump B/CS is and will want to go home unless additional demands are met. I’m not expecting anything from the toothless NCAA, but this could all blow up internally for Jimbo. 

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What I love is that, objectively, Texas signing a top 5 class after a 5-7 season is every bit as strange as aggy signing #1. 

GTFO with that. Texas signs a top five-ish class almost every year, regardless of record. Yes, NIL was involved this year after 5-7 to get us to #5. But it is still pretty normal. Aggie signing the best class ever would never happen in a million years without massive bags.

• Like 1

And the Aggies may get one more.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/33208055/five-star-prospect-lebbeus-overton-top-ranked-football-recruit-reclassifying-2022-class

Overton is from Georgia, a Sooner legacy, and the #1 DL in 2023. But he is reclassifying to 2022. OU was an early leader (with Riley as head coach), but A&M just got a pick for him. If he goes to A&M, he'll be their SIXTH DL that will play in a 3 point stance, with 5 of those guys in the top 100 nationally. Makes sense if guess.

from 247:

Regarding Texas A&M: “The relationship I have with the coaches and how beautiful the campus is.”

Edited by quigley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

What I love is that, objectively, Texas signing a top 5 class after a 5-7 season is every bit as strange as aggy signing #1.  But the unspoken truth, despite all the public hatred of our school, is that people understand that the University of Texas is attractive to recruits.  Whether it is our football history or the city of Austin or just the general vibe around the program, people understand that recruits may illogically be drawn to the burnt orange.

With aggy, there is none of that.  Outside of College Station and the few recruiting reporters required to hype shit like this (and fattyflattie, apparently), there's been no attempt at rationalization or understanding.  Everyone is just assuming that aggy had to be cheating their asses off because the alternative explanation (18 year-olds being illogically drawn to College Station) is just too unbelievable to even consider.

we had a few things happen

having coaches from Alabama, Notre Dame, etc(vs. Houston/Louisville) helped

I think they have worked on some of the "handlers" also.

Cristobal leaving

and of course the biggest is NIL - which at least helps to close the bag gap(previously,come to SEC, here's your bag..go to Texas mice nuts, in comparison)

2 minutes ago, texastough said:

GTFO with that. Texas signs a top five-ish class almost every year, regardless of record. Yes, NIL was involved this year after 5-7 to get us to #5. But it is still pretty normal. Aggie signing the best class ever would never happen in a million years without massive bags.

Poor phrasing on my part.  I was trying to say that a team coming off a 5-7 season and a decade+ of mediocrity landing a top 5 class should raise as many eyebrows as this aggy shit, but because it is Texas people subconsciously understand - even if they pretend not to on social media.  Nobody understands what just happened in College Station, as is evidenced by the widespread skepticism yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Id be more worried if I was him. Their head coach just pantsed himself, all while making veiled threats against programs tremendously more valuable than aggy.  I know where the bodies are, let’s not go there is a bad look. 

like a high school kid(and probably his family) who wants to reclassify to get in on the bags now would care about that.  take the bag and transfer if you don't like it.

now is the wild west time.  no one knows when or if a sherriff with a posse will show up.  get in while the getting is good if you can.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Poor phrasing on my part.  I was trying to say that a team coming off a 5-7 season and a decade+ of mediocrity landing a top 5 class should raise as many eyebrows as this aggy shit, but because it is Texas people subconsciously understand - even if they pretend not to on social media.  Nobody understands what just happened in College Station, as is evidenced by the widespread skepticism yesterday.

Honestly, doesn't everyone understand what happened at A&M? Chalk it up to Alabama fatigue. The talking heads need to have different teams to hype.

A&M is one. SC is another. The Trojans are being talked about as a top 10 team next year despite them having done little to address big problems on the OL and DL.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

like a high school kid(and probably his family) who wants to reclassify to get in on the bags now would care about that.  take the bag and transfer if you don't like it.

now is the wild west time.  no one knows when or if a sherriff with a posse will show up.  get in while the getting is good if you can.

The kids don’t care. Saban probably not too happy with his name in Jimbos mouth during that breakdown, though. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Too much emphasis on the number ranking. The #5 class is as close to the #13 as it is #1. There’s 1-3 then everybody else this year. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

Honestly, doesn't everyone understand what happened at A&M? Chalk it up to Alabama fatigue. The talking heads need to have different teams to hype.

A&M is one. SC is another. The Trojans are being talked about as a top 10 team next year despite them having done little to address big problems on the OL and DL.

And they have been.  No blowback for dodging the bowl to avoid a loss. No blowback for blatantly purchasing a class. It’s coming. When you start seeing them get the calls in the SEC they usually don’t get, you’ll know Bama has some competition. Espn too early poll had them what, 4th, after and 8-4feit year.   

1 minute ago, quigley said:

Well, that's kind of what I am getting at.  Hyping them up would be a reasonable take for a team who just landed the best recruiting class of all time, but we really aren't seeing that.  It's a lot of skepticism.  Have you ever seen a coach who just landed the top class have to answer questions about whether or not he did it above board?  It's just a funny view into how people genuinely view that school.  Just a complete lack of belief that anyone could voluntarily choose that school without outside incentives.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think that explanation is sufficient here though. Overton's dad is the AD at Kennesaw St, so the family is both very familiar with the system and not relying of the son for financial solvency. If Overton picks A&M over Georgia and Ohio St, two schools that pay and that have a great history developing DL, that would be a signal that a family in this position thinks things will be ok.

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

I don't think that explanation is sufficient here though. Overton's dad is the AD at Kennesaw St, so the family is both very familiar with the system and not relying of the son for financial solvency. If Overton picks A&M over Georgia and Ohio St, two schools that pay and that have a great history developing DL, that would be a signal that a family in this position thinks things will be ok.

Or, as has been rumored in numerous other recruitments, aggy is offering an amount that is impossible to turn down.

• Hook 'Em 2

If the NCAA had any balls at all Jimbo would have already received this letter.

“So you insinuated in your press conference of 2/1/2022 that you have in your possession personal and detailed knowledge of supposed wrongdoings by institutions with regard to the recruiting process. We are ordering you to appear in Indianapolis on XYZ date to further discuss these allegations of wrongdoing and how you came into personal knowledge of these alleged wrongdoings”.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

What, exactly, is this 'revenge' that the other schools can or are going to get on A&M?

That's my "concern"*  too. I think they're going to get away with it, and the college sports arms race will shift. Which schools have the resources to pay $15m for coaching staff and $25m for the roster?

* I'm not worried about it. Oklahoma, the state, closes schools but still fully funds school sports.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Or, as has been rumored in numerous other recruitments, aggy is offering an amount that is impossible to turn down.

I don't know how much an AD at an D2 school or whatever Kennesaw is makes, but I'd imagine it's 200. For someone like that, you're talking 5m plus? (5% return on initial investment)

Seems like diminishing marginal returns to pay for a SIXTH down lineman on the defensive side, but *shoulder shrug*, YOLO.

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The kids don’t care. Saban probably not too happy with his name in Jimbos mouth during that breakdown, though. 

Too much emphasis on the number ranking. The #5 class is as close to the #13 as it is #1. There’s 1-3 then everybody else this year. 

We heard you the first 10 times Chin Pubes.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No no no...Jimbo has in home and says "I won an NC, I know how to win an NC, come to aggy and you will win an NC and get a fantastical degree".  player then signs with aggy.  on 5 starts it works 70% of the time, all of the time.

• Haha 1

We have some very public NIL initiatives that the school doesn't even need to mention.

Aggy has...?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

SC is getting the "decided schematic advantage" bump.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sorry. My orange tinted glasses are smudged.  Don’t know why it’s struck such a nerve, it’s been plain as day the entire cycle.  And apparently, even more great news in ‘23. 

Your vagina is bleeding again.  Maybe sit this cycle and the next out.  We got the best o line class we’ve ever had and everyone knew that was our biggest need after getting Ewers.  

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It isn’t NIL. 

Texas joined the conference and they collectively pissed their pants.  Still, they got what they wanted.  Let's see if they can hold onto it and keep the investors happy if things don't go as planned on the field.  I have little hope of them getting busted despite the egregious purchasing of players here. 

11 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Your vagina is bleeding again.  Maybe sit this cycle and the next out.  We got the best o line class we’ve ever had and everyone knew that was our biggest need after getting Ewers.  

Lol. While a glaring deficiency, I don’t believe the OL gave up 57 to Kansas. So to fix that we went out and got…zero top 100 dline commits. While the instate rivals got six, 3 of them being top 20 players in the nation. Cool, cool.  But fuck yeah, #5 yall. 

• Fuck You 18

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

Texas joined the conference and they collectively pissed their pants.  Still, they got what they wanted.  Let's see if they can hold onto it and keep the investors happy if things don't go as planned on the field.  I have little hope of them getting busted despite the egregious purchasing of players here. 

You may not want to read CTJ’s comments on the ‘23 and ‘24 class, wrt aggy buying players.  They are just starting a win at any cost campaign. 

Ordinarily, I too would be skeptical of the NCAA's enforcement inclination and power.  But Jimbo - quite stupidly and hubris-fueled, IMO - basically dared Bama, UGA and anyone else to come at them.  This reeks of vintage a&m arrogance born of idiocy in lieu of accomplishment.  I have faith that what has always happened to dumbfuck aggy will repeat itself, as history.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol. While a glaring deficiency, I don’t believe the OL gave up 57 to Kansas. So to fix that we went out and got…zero top 100 dline commits. While the instate rivals got six, 3 of them being top 20 players in the nation. Cool, cool.  But fuck yeah, #5 yall. 

I hear texags is running a special. You may want to check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

agree we hit the need area pretty well from a player standpoint(maybe LB not enough).  the biggest need after QB was DC.  I'm hoping we covered that need as well.  that may actually make a big difference.