Louisiana Tech @ Texas 7 PM 8/31 on LHN

Machinator

IT team notes, relatively lacking in Kool Aid

TEAM

I don't know if there's a bit of nervousness with the opener looming but we've picked up on a couple of concerns heading into the season. 

One concern is the one I held dating back to last season -- will Todd Orlando's defense have an identity entering the season, or will it be discovered along the way?

It could be the case that Orlando has a very good idea what the defense will be -- and what his ideal personnel package will be for each opponent and situation -- but from our sources it still seems to be a work in progress. 

The questions regarding the defense center around cohesion and how soon they find an identity. Orlando has tinkered so much I don't think anyone knows what his preferences are at this point. The functional base defense doesn't seem to be set in stone. The good thing is the defense is fast and physical, and they haven't busted many assignments, but they have to take that from the practice field to the game field and sometimes things get lost in translation as the speed of the game picks up.

There are some concerns at corner, but more so opposite Jalen Green. Green gets the benefit of the doubt from most because he's going up against Collin Johnson. Johnson needs to work La Tech's short DB's on Saturday for that line of thinking to be warranted. 

On offense, the concerns are the same that were outlined in the post about depth yesterday. Running back and offensive line need to stay healthy for prolonged periods of time. 

The feeling is if Sam plays to the level he did last season the team should win the conference. If Sam makes a jump, watch out. 

In the latest round of discussions with sources we specifically asked for the good and bad. 

QB

It's hard to have too many concerns with QB1. Provided he stays healthy he should have a very big year. There's always the slight concern he'll try to do too much from time to time but he hasn't really shown that since he was a freshman. He's matured a lot as a quarterback both mentally and mechanically. He's making the right reads quicker, he's more accurate, and he's on the same page as the receivers.

One of the bigger, quieter story lines of August is the staff's increased comfort with Casey Thompson. He's gone from "they can win depending on who they play" to "they can win." 

With Roschon Johnson moving to running back PWO freshman Sam Saxton is the third string QB. 

RB

"Roschon looks pretty decent. He's a pretty sophisticated runner. He knows where to run before the snap based on defensive alignment and the blocking scheme. He can read defenses. He's not Ingram or Whittington but he's a better athlete than Young."

I asked about toughness and willingness to block, "I think he has it in him. He had a play in practice where he went right at BJ Foster. I think it surprised even BJ. Everybody took notice." 

My feeling is Johnson won't red-shirt this year, but I'm basing that on his competency as a runner and team need, not hard information. 

As we all know, Ingram and Whittington have to stay healthy this season. They're ready to go this Saturday but ideally their carries will be limited ahead of LSU.

As the season progresses I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Duvernay and Smith motion in to get some carries.

WR

The good here is Collin Johnson and baseline talent across the position. If Johnson doesn't have a true breakout this season something is amiss and it isn't the info. He had a big August and people want to see him dominate in every facet. 

I asked how Duvernay will do the most damage, "underneath, quick stuff." 

When I asked for "bad" at the position, or the potential "bad" I heard after a long pause, "Duvernay has to do it in games. If he doesn't the offense could stall and you'll see more Jake Smith. Duvernay's had a good camp, though, so we'll see how it goes." 

Concerns aren't very high on Duvernay. He's eased fears over replacing Lil'Jordan Humphrey and there's just a lot of confidence in the passing attack overall.

John Burt had a big camp and could become a consistent contributor. 

OL

The most likely o-line on Saturday sounds like Cosmi-Braun-Kerstetter-Angilau-Okafor. I think Shackelford is still on the mend. 

Kerstetter is looking better by the practice at center to the point "he looks good." 

The overall good at the position is the left side of the line along with whoever the center is. They'll get a push on zone and offer help on the right side via pulling. 

The right side of the line is solid at run blocking but pass blocking isn't ideal. No surprise. Okafor sometimes gets help from a tight end but not often. 

Angilau is viewed as a future star and should be solid at a minimum this season. 

Depth for this season is a concern.

TE

Not to get hopes up too much but as a receiver Cade Brewer is looking closer to his freshman self than ever before. He's dropped some weight over the last month and is moving better than at any point since the knee injury. It was versus second team this week but he made some plays down field that caught people's attention.

The bad is "they're not the most physical group, they miss that fullback aspect." 

These guys still motion in to block but it isn't as prevalent as last year. I get the idea the offensive coaches don't want to draw an extra blocker to the box.

DL

The good is they're solid, the bad is they're solid and lacking a difference maker. Roach is the closest thing they have. He can be disruptive and if he wasn't going up against Cosmi and Braun we would have heard more about him throughout camp. 

It's a deep group and "a lot of guys can get the job done." That means this position group should always be fresh, including Keondre Coburn. "His stamina is improving, not great, not terrible."

Gerald Wilbon might not suit up but even if he does expect Christmas to get some snaps. Moro Ojomo had a consistent August and was disruptive at times. 

The staff loves T'Vondre Sweat. "He's big, strong, and fast. He's kind of scary to be honest." Sweat is still at end but his future seems to indicate nose tackle especially once he's surrounded by Vernon Broughton and hopefully Alfred Collins. Good lord, what a sight that would be.

Aside the starters, expect to see Bimage, Sweat, Ojomo, Christmas, and Jones at a minimum this week.

These guys will do their job which at least makes things easier for the linebackers.

LB

I asked what should fans look for this weekend to ease fears about linebacker this season. "See if they're making plays outside of the tackle box. They did okay in that regard in practice. If it carries over it means they're reading well."

The good is McCulloch and Ossai have been steady; don't expect either to come off the field. Ossai isn't at his best taking blockers on straight up, but he's a solid blitzer and can make plays laterally. McCulloch is good versus the run in the box and the best blitzer but everyone is curious to see what his range is.

Dele has had a solid camp. He's worked his ass off but Juwan Mitchell is gaining on him. 

The bad is concern about making plays in space. "Nobody out there runs like Gary, but this group could be steadier than last year."

S

Gimme the good here, "Let me see, Caden, Brandon, BJ, Chris, De'Marvion..." That's the answer I figured I'd get.

How's BJ been in coverage, "he's fine but they haven't asked too much of him in that regard. He's not Locke, he shouldn't be a liability."

What's the bad? "The potential for nagging injuries is going to be there for this group but they're deep." 

Expect Tyler Owens to play, mainly on special teams.

The safeties are going to have their work cut out for them this year as they help break in new corners. 

CB

"The good is they can cover and they're physical. They'll hit you like the rest of the defense will, other than Kobe. But he's getting better. Jamison needs to tackle better but he's tough and physical. Coverage shouldn't be an issue."

Green's been the best but expect him to get help versus Adrian Hardy.

We've covered the bad throughout camp, but have at it, "ball skills. They have to locate it and make a play."

Kenyatta Watson won't red-shirt and will likely see the field on Saturday. 

#####

They had a good week of practice. There are no signs of lack of focus. It's hard to poke and prod around the obvious, "do you think they'll s*** the bed like the last two years?" I didn't ask that, but I hinted around it. "you hope there's no mental road blocks because of the last two openers but you never know how a team will come out until the whistle blows. They know this is a game they should handle business and put them away." 

DERRIAN BROWN

2019 running back signee Derrian Brown (Buford, GA) enrolled in school recently. Being a part of the Texas Football program is a source of inspiration for a lot of the team as well as reassuring for the Browns. If you don't know, Brown suffered a stroke last January and endured surgery on his brain to remove a clot. He's been working hard to just get to this point. His father Derrick spoke to IT.

“We are very excited about Derrian being in Austin, we can't thank the UT family enough. It’s been overwhelming and a blessing."

“We’ve been here this week, hanging out in his dorm room, and the staff and players are showing us much love.” 

The expectations for Brown are pretty simple; get acquainted with the college life from the student side of things and continue to get stronger and better in hopes Derrian might have an opportunity to see the field next season. The Browns recognize the difficult road ahead, but admit just being around the staff and school recently further proves they made the right decision picking UT.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

TEAM

I don't know if there's a bit of nervousness with the opener looming but we've picked up on a couple of concerns heading into the season. 

One concern is the one I held dating back to last season -- will Todd Orlando's defense have an identity entering the season, or will it be discovered along the way?

It could be the case that Orlando has a very good idea what the defense will be -- and what his ideal personnel package will be for each opponent and situation -- but from our sources it still seems to be a work in progress. 

The questions regarding the defense center around cohesion and how soon they find an identity. Orlando has tinkered so much I don't think anyone knows what his preferences are at this point. The functional base defense doesn't seem to be set in stone. The good thing is the defense is fast and physical, and they haven't busted many assignments, but they have to take that from the practice field to the game field and sometimes things get lost in translation as the speed of the game picks up.

There are some concerns at corner, but more so opposite Jalen Green. Green gets the benefit of the doubt from most because he's going up against Collin Johnson. Johnson needs to work La Tech's short DB's on Saturday for that line of thinking to be warranted. 

On offense, the concerns are the same that were outlined in the post about depth yesterday. Running back and offensive line need to stay healthy for prolonged periods of time. 

The feeling is if Sam plays to the level he did last season the team should win the conference. If Sam makes a jump, watch out. 

In the latest round of discussions with sources we specifically asked for the good and bad. 

QB

It's hard to have too many concerns with QB1. Provided he stays healthy he should have a very big year. There's always the slight concern he'll try to do too much from time to time but he hasn't really shown that since he was a freshman. He's matured a lot as a quarterback both mentally and mechanically. He's making the right reads quicker, he's more accurate, and he's on the same page as the receivers.

One of the bigger, quieter story lines of August is the staff's increased comfort with Casey Thompson. He's gone from "they can win depending on who they play" to "they can win." 

With Roschon Johnson moving to running back PWO freshman Sam Saxton is the third string QB. 

RB

"Roschon looks pretty decent. He's a pretty sophisticated runner. He knows where to run before the snap based on defensive alignment and the blocking scheme. He can read defenses. He's not Ingram or Whittington but he's a better athlete than Young."

I asked about toughness and willingness to block, "I think he has it in him. He had a play in practice where he went right at BJ Foster. I think it surprised even BJ. Everybody took notice." 

My feeling is Johnson won't red-shirt this year, but I'm basing that on his competency as a runner and team need, not hard information. 

As we all know, Ingram and Whittington have to stay healthy this season. They're ready to go this Saturday but ideally their carries will be limited ahead of LSU.

As the season progresses I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Duvernay and Smith motion in to get some carries.

WR

The good here is Collin Johnson and baseline talent across the position. If Johnson doesn't have a true breakout this season something is amiss and it isn't the info. He had a big August and people want to see him dominate in every facet. 

When I asked for "bad" at the position, or the potential "bad" I heard after a long pause, "Duvernay has to do it in games. If he doesn't the offense could stall and you'll see more Jake Smith. Duvernay's had a good camp, though, so we'll see how it goes." 

Concerns aren't very high on Duvernay. He's eased fears over replacing Lil'Jordan Humphrey and there's just a lot of confidence in the passing attack overall.

OL

The most likely o-line on Saturday sounds like Cosmi-Braun-Kerstetter-Angilau-Okafor. I think Shackelford is still on the mend. 

Kerstetter is looking better by the practice at center to the point "he looks good." 

The overall good at the position is the left side of the line along with whoever the center is. They'll get a push on zone and offer help on the right side via pulling. 

The right side of the line is solid at run blocking but pass blocking isn't ideal. No surprise. Okafor sometimes gets help from a tight end but not often. 

Angilau is viewed as a future star and should be solid at a minimum this season. 

TE

Not to get hopes up too much but as a receiver Cade Brewer is looking closer to his freshman self than ever before. He's dropped some weight over the last month and is moving better than at any point since the knee injury. It was versus second team this week but he made some plays down field that caught people's attention.

The bad is "they're not the most physical group, they miss that fullback aspect." 

These guys still motion in to block but it isn't as prevalent as last year. I get the idea the offensive coaches don't want to draw an extra blocker to the box.

DL

The good is they're solid, the bad is they're solid and lacking a difference maker. Roach is the closest thing they have. He can be disruptive and if he wasn't going up against Cosmi and Braun we would have heard more about him throughout camp. 

It's a deep group and "a lot of guys can get the job done." That means this position group should always be fresh, including Keondre Coburn. "His stamina is improving, not great, not terrible."

Gerald Wilbon might not suit up but even if he does expect Christmas to get some snaps. Moro Ojomo had a consistent August and was disruptive at times. 

The staff loves T'Vondre Sweat. "He's big, strong, and fast. He's kind of scary to be honest." Sweat is still at end but his future seems to indicate nose tackle especially once he's surrounded by Vernon Broughton and hopefully Alfred Collins. Good lord, what a sight that would be.

Aside the starters, expect to see Bimage, Sweat, Ojomo, Christmas, and Jones at a minimum this week.

These guys will do their job which at least makes things easier for the linebackers.

LB

I asked what should fans look for this weekend to ease fears about linebacker this season. "See if they're making plays outside of the tackle box. They did okay in that regard in practice. If it carries over it means they're reading well."

The good is McCulloch and Ossai have been steady; don't expect either to come off the field. Ossai isn't at his best taking blockers on straight up, but he's a solid blitzer and can make plays laterally. McCulloch is good versus the run in the box and the best blitzer but everyone is curious to see what his range is.

Dele has had a solid camp. He's worked his ass off but Juwan Mitchell is gaining on him. 

The bad is concern about making plays in space. "Nobody out there runs like Gary, but this group could be steadier than last year."

S

Gimme the good here, "Let me see, Caden, Brandon, BJ, Chris, De'Marvion..." That's the answer I figured I'd get.

How's BJ been in coverage, "he's fine but they haven't asked too much of him in that regard. He's not Locke, he shouldn't be a liability."

What's the bad? "The potential for nagging injuries is going to be there for this group but they're deep." 

The safeties are going to have their work cut out for them this year as they help break in new corners. 

CB

"The good is they can cover and they're physical. They'll hit you like the rest of the defense will, other than Kobe. But he's getting better. Jamison needs to tackle better but he's tough and physical. Coverage shouldn't be an issue."

We've covered the bad throughout camp, but have at it, "ball skills. They have to locate it and make a play."

#####

They had a good week of practice. There are no signs of lack of focus. It's hard to poke and prod around the obvious, "do you think they'll s*** the bed like the last two years?" I didn't ask that, but I hinted around it. "you hope there's no mental road blocks because of the last two openers but you never know how a team will come out until the whistle blows. They know this is a game they should handle business and put them away." 

DERRIAN BROWN

2019 running back signee Derrian Brown (Buford, GA) enrolled in school recently. Being a part of the Texas Football program is a source of inspiration for a lot of the team as well as reassuring for the Browns. If you don't know, Brown suffered a stroke last January and endured surgery on his brain to remove a clot. He's been working hard to just get to this point. His father Derrick spoke to IT.

“We are very excited about Derrian being in Austin, we can't thank the UT family enough. It’s been overwhelming and a blessing."

“We’ve been here this week, hanging out in his dorm room, and the staff and players are showing us much love.” 

The expectations for Brown are pretty simple; get acquainted with the college life from the student side of things and continue to get stronger and better in hopes Derrian might have an opportunity to see the field next season. The Browns recognize the difficult road ahead, but admit just being around the staff and school recently further proves they made the right decision picking UT.

Jeez - went from Kool-Aid to Castor Oil. 

Talk about tempering expectations. 

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Jeez - went from Kool-Aid to Castor Oil. 

Talk about tempering expectations. 

Outside maybe 2-3 teams in the country, that's about how every practice report/outlook probably should read. Honest and doesn't make me any less optimistic.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This LaTech game feels like a sloppy 37-24 kinda slog where we have to utilize Sam's legs more than we should.

If this team has truly turned the proverbial corner then this should be a comfortable win.  If it sloppy like you say, then it is cause for concern I believe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This LaTech game feels like a sloppy 37-24 kinda slog where we have to utilize Sam's legs more than we should.

I'm split between that and thinking that they are going to keep the momentum from the Sugar Bowl and play with a chip on their shoulder. Hopefully they will come out looking to impress.  

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

TEAM

QB

RB

WR

OL

TE

DL

LB

S

CB

#####

DERRIAN BROWN

That was definitely low on sunshine considering it came from IT who’s usually pumping it hard.

I don’t think it’s bad that Orlando hasn’t shown a clear base defense. It will need to change from game to game. This team doesn’t have a clear enough best 11 to justify running the same base defense against LSU as you do OSU or WVU. Orlando’s gotten in trouble before by trying to force the same base defense against a myriad of opponents. I hope he mixes it up more this year.

I don’t love the idea of Angilau and Okafor together on the right side. They’ll be great run blocking but those two would have a hard time in pass pro against better teams like LSU, with Angilau being green and Okafor being limited in pass pro.  Even if Kerstetter is back at RG for LSU, they’ll need to help Okafor a ton that game. Chaisson will eat Okafor alive 1 on 1.

All recent reports on Juwan Mitchell have been glowing. It would be huge if he can become a solid contributor this year and beyond, especially since he has 4 to play 3.  LB is thin this year, but it looks surprisingly optimistic from 2020 on.

Cornerback will obviously be one to watch, but I struggle to believe that at least one of Boyce, Cook, or Jamison can’t give us at least average play at that spot.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the offense will come out sharp as long as Sam is in form (and it sounds like he should be). Our defense is going to take some lumps.

Our defense will definitely take some lumps, but I’m not sure if it will be much more than it did last year. Our defense wasn’t great last year, and our offense should be quite a bit better, so if this year’s D can get to last year’s level, we should improve a decent bit as a team. That’s not too high of a bar, especially since we won’t be starting a single true freshman and the guys playing have been recruited to fit Orlando’s scheme and are generally more talented than the guys they replace.

La Tech is closer to Ok St or West Virginia than they are to, say, Rice. I feel like most of the stadium tomorrow will be looking for one of our old school 52-10 games. This team is comparable to Maryland last year and is better than Tulsa.

I’m bracing myself for the idiots around me screaming “what’s going on???” when it’s 14-10 in the second quarter.

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our defense will definitely take some lumps, but I’m not sure if it will be much more than it did last year. Our defense wasn’t great last year, and our offense should be quite a bit better, so if this year’s D can get to last year’s level, we should improve a decent bit as a team. That’s not too high of a bar, especially since we won’t be starting a single true freshman and the guys playing have been recruited to fit Orlando’s scheme and are generally more talented than the guys they replace.

Defense seemed to be especially poor on 3rd and long. 

Hopefully a pass rush will manifest itself. 

29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

La Tech is closer to Ok St or West Virginia than they are to, say, Rice. I feel like most of the stadium tomorrow will be looking for one of our old school 52-10 games. This team is comparable to Maryland last year and is better than Tulsa.

I’m bracing myself for the idiots around me screaming “what’s going on???” when it’s 14-10 in the second quarter.

I don't think Maryland is a good comp. Maryland had much more talent and a true DT QB. La-tech's QB is a stiff runner. He can roll out and extend some plays, and can probably take it up the middle if he sees a big opening, but he's not fast or wiggly. He's pretty good on longer timing route passes but a bit off on the quick slants and not too accurate when chased out of the pocket. Or at least, that's what I saw in last season's LSU game for them. They have experience on the offensive line. Hope to see disruption of it. This game should be good for breaking in the CB's and LB's though.

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't view La Tech as a pushover and haven't all offseason. Holtz isn't a bad coach. They've won bowl games in 5 straight seasons. They played Arkansas to within a point about 3 years ago (Arkansas wasn't a joke at the time), on the road, did the same the following year to South Carolina (SC was a winning team that year), and then had LSU on the ropes late last year.

They're a decent team. They have a ton of experience. What you won't see, however, is a ton of speed. Holtz doesn't run an especially tough camp, either. Those are two key differences between what Texas faced the last two years in Maryland and what they'll face with La Tech. I expect a 45-21 win. If the spread is more than that, great. If it goes below two touchdowns, that's not a good sign. 

I've asserted all summer that the turnover on defense isn't as concerning as usual. I've said that this is because the players on this year's team are better athletes with better skills.

Mike Tyson famously said, though, that everybody has a plan until they get hit. When the lights are shining, the crowd is cheering, and the defenders have to recognize the scheme across from them without a position coach nearby, we'll see if the head matches the physique. If they trust their training and play like they practiced, then they're a fearsome unit. If they question and think, they'll turn in circles like <last season's opener>.

Last year, we saw an offense with a lot of talent, but that was hampered by the inability to block a pass rush. The coaches preferred to trust 2nd and 7 and 3rd and 3 rather than risk 2nd and 14 and lose the run option. The coach's choice of slot receiver tells me that they believe they can block that rush now. If that's true, then an embarrassment of riches will be unveiled. If not, 3 running backs might not be enough.

Time to turn the key and see if this machine cranks up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I woke up with some trepidation regarding LATech.  I hope there isn't the obvious overlooking of them to LSU

The last 2 season openers have me all fuckered up.

I'm still confident, but a bit more apprehensive as the day gets closer.

I need a drink.

We will dominate both lines of scrimmage and their QB can’t freeze our LBs/safeties with credible run action. Everyone needs to chill 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the IT trembling, it would be interesting to know how close their source(s) is (are) with the staff. I don't think they're very connected on the coaching side, so whatever they're gleaning is not coming from someone super close to the data.

The staff thinks Coburn can be a star, this year. 

There is no trepidation with the WR group. It's the biggest given on the team and they're going 3 deep easily there if they want to do so.

The OL depth concern is coming from Herman and he's saying it in the press. It's a manipulation to press the younger players into busting their ass to compete. They have strong depth. Some of it is very young.

The Boyce shit is basically a manipulation as well. Someone has to start against La Tech with Cook out. Might as well be the guy that they think is the highest risk of transferring. After Watson and potentially Caldwell show maturation, Boyce can come or go because he'll be passed. Caldwell is great in simple defensive play calls and against predictable offensive situations. He's fucking lost on the field if the difficulty elevates to something above elementary. So he's a year or two away from being a dude on the field. Watson is good right now, he just need snaps. They're fine at CB. They'll get burnt a lot this year due to inexperience, but that's going to happen for anyone as young as they are, especially this early in the season. 

For all of our handwringing over the LBs, they're looking good there. The freshman are further ahead than they hoped, Ossai is a fucking beast, the JUCOs can play and they will play. Dele slimmed down and picked up speed, and he won't be a liable on the field unless they're facing an air raid. 

I'm not an "Orlando is a top 5 DC in CFB" guy, but I do think he knows what he's doing. I don't know of anyone actually worrying about Texas knowing what it is doing when it lines up this week or next. 

i dont hear a lot about the offense but i can verify most of the defensive stuff as true and correct. and i havent heard anything to the contrary from the staff. Green, Cook, and Jamison are your best corners. Boyce will start. because of Cook's suspension and a little concern over Jamison's size. They LOVE Watson. I wouldnt be surprised if he takes a spot next season. Safeties will help the corners and try to erase any mistakes made. Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat are all stars in the making. Ossai is going to be the dominant pass rusher we havent had since... ? The D staff feels better than ever before with their install and the players getting "it." There shouldnt be any more surprises like Maryland. They have their guys in place at almost every position and level. They are ready to roll.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Maryland had some good talent.  They damn near took down Ohio State.  Had them in OT and failed on the game winning 2 point conversion.  

And for both years we played them, we got their actually good QBs before they got shredded and had to play converted LBs and shit.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Maryland had some good talent.  They damn near took down Ohio State.  Had them in OT and failed on the game winning 2 point conversion.  

It was a gimme 2-pt conversion as well. The "QB" should have just shot-putted or shoveled it to the wide open receiver. Instead, he tried to throw it and the throw was ass, my dude. 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

TEAM

QB

RB

WR

OL

TE

DL

LB

S

CB

#####

DERRIAN BROWN

The only real bummer here is that Shack isn't good enough to go. That means, even if he plays, he is not going to be 100 percent for LSU and there is a chance the injury lingers all year.

• immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic