Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Over under 15 catches for waddle this year. 

I was walking in the same gate at Minute Maid as Waddle was a few weeks ago. He's fucking tiny. It reminded me that there really aren't a whole lot of 5'8" guys dominating in the P5 programs these days. Should be interesting to see if he's the exception or fits into the current norm.

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was walking in the same gate at Minute Maid as Waddle was a few weeks ago. He's fucking tiny. It reminded me that there really aren't a whole lot of 5'8" guys dominating in the P5 programs these days. Should be interesting to see if he's the exception or fits into the current norm.

I bet he's an exception. I watched a BBall clip of him 360 dunking. It's like he's a kangaroo.

TFB April 17 practice notes - http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-18th/

Spring Practice Notes: April 17th Practice

Depth Chart:

1s…
QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Daniel Young
X: Collin Johnson
Y: Lil’Jordan Humphrey
Z: Devin Duvernay
TE: Andrew Beck
OL: Denzel Okafor – Patrick Vahe – Zach Shackelford – Elijah Rodriguez – Derek Kerstetter

DL: Breckyn Hager – Taquon Graham – Charles Omenihu
BLB: Jeffrey McCulloch
RLB: Malcolm Roach
MLB: Anthony Wheeler
SS: John Bonney, Chris Brown
CB: Kris Boyd, Kobe Boyce
BS: Caden Sterns
FS: Brandon Jones

2s / 3s…
QB: Shane Buechele/Casey Thompson/Cam Rising
RB: Toneil Carter / Kyle Porter
X: Brennan Eagles
Y: Jerrod Heard / Jordan Pouncey
Z: John Burt/Davion Curtis
TE: Reese Leitao
OL: Samuel Cosmi – Patrick Hudson – Elijah Rodriguez – Tope Imade – JP Urquidez

DL: Marquez Bimage – Gerald Wilbon – Jamari Chisholm/ Andrew Fitzgerald – D’Andre Christmas
BLB: Jeffrey McCulloch / Kyle Hrncir (what a last name)
RLB: Ayodele Adeoye
MLB: Demarco Boyd
SS: Chris Brown, Jamarquist Durst
CB: Eric Cuffee, Donovan Duvernay
BS: walk-on
FS: BJ Foster

NOTES

Injuries:
– RB Tristian Houston
– RB Kirk Johnson
– RB Cameron Townsend
– TE Cade Brewer
– OG Mikey Grandy
– DT Chris Nelson (Green Jersey)
– LB Gary Johnson
– LB Edwin Freeman
– DB Montrell Estell
– DB Josh Thompson
– DB Anthony Cook
– DB Davante Davis

Take Aways:
– Practices have become noticeably less intense as we approach the Spring Game. The coaches realize this team is starting to get beat up and also realize this Spring. This means they’ll be a lot more precautious with injuries and slow down practices. This doesn’t mean that practices are not intense, but they are no longer the dreaded “Bloody Tuesday” type of practices.

– Caden Sterns is flying around and making plays. There just doesn’t seem to be a part of the field that he can’t get to and make a play. While I don’t think he’ll start, there is plenty to be excited about going forward. Also speaks to the guys in front of him that he’s not starting. Heck of a talent.

– This is old news, but Josh Thompson is injured. It’s not serious. He’s had a stinger and has recovered, but the staff is keeping him sidelined until he’s completely healthy. The Texas staff realizes that this is just Spring ball.

– Davante Davis tweaked his ankle last week. He was playing last practice, but I didn’t see him out there today. Once again, this is a minor injury they’re being super precautious with. In his place was Kobe Boyce who’s legit.

– Anthony Cook also sat out today after he tweaked his hamstring Thursday. He was suited up, but didn’t go in.

– PJ Locke was also suited up, but did not participate. I think speaks to the how those players’ injuries are not severe.

– Patrick Hudson came off the injury list today and looked pretty good in the blocking drills we attended. He didn’t put on bad weight and played the part. He’ll be an important piece to keep healthy going into 2018.

– With all of that, the defensive backs are still in a good position, which goes to show that Texas has established very solid depth in the secondary.

– Passing game looked better today when they were running against nobody. QBs threw some pretty long balls and the WRs made some nice catches. The young guys made some bad throws here and there though.

– Still the passing game is still not where it needs to be.

– I know I’ve said this before, but let me reiterate. Sam Ehlinger will start for the Texas Longhorns in he 2018 season. Everything going on saying otherwise is a bunch of hand waving. If Ehlinger is not the first QB to trot onto FedEx field, I’ll be gobsmacked.

– Shane Buechele will be a legit back-up and probably play a few games because Ehlinger uses his body like a fullback.

– The freshmen QBs could probably hold their own, but if Texas fans want to win, putting in the Freshmen is not the way to go.

– I went into Spring ball apprehensive about the WR corps. I’ve come out of it less so. Here’s why:

– I’ll say this until I’m blue in the face. Lil’Jordan Humphrey is the real deal. He’ll challenge Collin Johnson for number of catches this next season.

– At Z, I feel like Devin Duvernay has taken a huge step up. John Burt is also taking big steps in becoming a more well rounded receiver. Backing those two up is coach favorite Davion Curtis.

– At X, Collin Johnson is your guy. While he’s a bit inconsistent, he’s a special talent that will make some jaw dropping plays. Backing him up (in all reality) is Lil’Jordan Humphrey. Y’all know my feelings there. Behind those two is Brennan Eagles who looks the part, but is very raw. Give him a few years and he’ll be legit.

– Slot was a huge concern going into Spring. Sticking Lil’Jordan Humphrey has really lessened my fears there. Even his back-up is a legit weapon in Jerrod Heard. This gives Jordan Pouncey (and later Joshua Moore) some time to sit back and learn. They won’t have to be rushed to action as quick as some thought.

– It was interesting to see Malcolm Roach attack the offensive line from the second level again. It’s hard to say how well he takes on a run block as he won some battles and lost others. I still think he showed major upside in his ability to take on blockers in tight space. His time on the line last year probably helps him a lot in that regard.

– Speaking of linemen, Chris Nelson is still the starting NT. However, he’s still rocking the green jersey.

– VIP attendees today were Cameron Dicker and a whole bunch of teachers who were allowed to attend the whole practice for “teacher appreciation day.” – (Will)

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Shark is the starter and backup at B?

It's like this movie where Lawrence Taylor is playing LB and never wants to come out of the game.

Once GJ gets back, Roach likely moves to starter at B-Backer. Although, I'll be curious to see if GJ and Roach become the two backers when we do our dime package. Last year it was GJ and Malik and training Roach at Rover makes me think the staff might be looking to put Roach in that spot this year. I'd like to see us find a replacement for Wheeler in that dime package. He just can't read/move fast enough to play in that much space.

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Once GJ gets back, Roach likely moves to starter at B-Backer. Although, I'll be curious to see if GJ and Roach become the two backers when we do our dime package. Last year it was GJ and Malik and training Roach at Rover makes me think the staff might be looking to put Roach in that spot this year. I'd like to see us find a replacement for Wheeler in that dime package. He just can't read/move fast enough to play in that much space.

I think GJ and McCulloch are a more likely pair in that package than GJ and Roach.  I think it's more likely we see Roach closer to the line in that package, spelling Hager or Omenihu at times.

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I think GJ and McCulloch are a more likely pair in that package than GJ and Roach.  I think it's more likely we see Roach closer to the line in that package, spelling Hager or Omenihu at times.

That's what I though too, but I also thought Shark would slide to Rover without GJ.  My guess is that Roach looked pretty good there since the staff never tried anyone else once GJ went down.  Since the staff moved Roach off the line even before GJ even got hurt, it seems they believe he wasn't best utilized on teh line last year, so I doubt they put him back in that spot.  It also seems like Shark isn't getting something at LB.  He showed good pash rush skill last year from the B-backer spot, yet didn't play much. Seems like he's either not with it mentally or really struggling with the run game ,which makes me doubt we see McCulloch as one of 2 LBs on the field. Probably be either Wheeler or Roach.

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We played in dime (no B-backer) for much of the second half of the season, and McCulloch also struggled with a high ankle sprain.

Right but even in base he often wasn’t in. Mainly only on third and long. Also, as a recruit, he seemed like a guy who had some good positional versatility but now the staff only seems to like him at B-backer, a position which isn’t utilized all that often when we have shaky depth at the ILB spots

http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-tables-proposal-allow-redshirts-play-four-games/

The NCAA has tabled a proposal that would allow players to compete in up to four games and preserve their redshirt status. The Division I Council met in Indianapolis this week and tabled the proposal, with a vote possibly coming in June.

58 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Well, the fit is very natural. Same offense but with a glaring need for a center here.  Assuming he's not blocked to Texas, things could move pretty fast on this one. 

That would be pretty interesting. We would probably go Anderson, Vahe/Hudson/Okafor, Burrell, Rodriguez/Grandy/Okafor, Kerstetter. I think that is a fucking strong line that would be towards the top of the Big 12. However, it would also be almost a complete unknown.

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That would be pretty interesting. We would probably go Anderson, Vahe/Hudson/Okafor, Burrell, Rodriguez/Grandy/Okafor, Kerstetter. I think that is a fucking strong line that would be towards the top of the Big 12. However, it would also be almost a complete unknown.

I wish we could have had Hudson and Grandy healthy all spring.  I think at least 1 would be a starting Guard right now.

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Well, the fit is very natural. Same offense but with a glaring need for a center here.  Assuming he's not blocked to Texas, things could move pretty fast on this one. 

Grad transfers can't be blocked ( I don't think ?? ).  I know the Stanford OL we were after stayed in conference going to ASU.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Grad transfers can't be blocked ( I don't think ?? ).  I know the Stanford OL we were after stayed in conference going to ASU.

Grad transfers can be blocked too.  It's why that Notre Dame grad transfer QB from a couple years ago didn't visit us... We played ND that year.  

The dude nicknamed Prison racking up academic awards every year is always a delight

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize...

Wheelers been landing on that list since he was a Freshman. I'm hoping for an NFL audition type year, always liked the kid even if he's not the best LB to ever wear burnt orange.

Urbs won't let him go to his former padawan..

Herman declared war by crashing tOSU's camp in Houston last summer.

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Ohio State fans say he parties a little too much, and the coaching staff didn't feel he was fully committed to putting in the work.