Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

We need to put this weekend in context. 

I'm not happy to lose Hill, but he was always going to be a "pleasant surprise if it happens" kind of guy, and I really started discounting him when @closetojumping said they were likely to throw a stupid amount of money at an off the ball LB.  This makes some amount of sense, as Gerry Hamilton has been saying that if ATM didn't get him, it was an existential threat to their class this cycle.  We need LB's for sure, but they needed a win with a player of his caliber to put a tourniquet on their hemorrhaging.  

The direction of the last few days with Gullette worries me for the reasons I articulated yesterday, even though he is not a done deal yet.

However overall, we have been kicking their butts in recruiting up to this point.  Cook, Muhammad, Chatman, Mitchell, and Stroh (recognizing it's questionable how much they pushed for him), were all head to head wins against them.  Derek Williams and Ryan Niblett had offers from them as well, and absolutely would have been takes.  All signs indicate that Baxter is going our way as well, and they definitely wanted him.  

We are in real good shape overall with this class, with a couple of needs yet to fill.  If we get 8+ wins on the field this season, we'll be top 5 again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It must suck being a 9.95er, people just make shit up. “Everyone” never said Hill was a Texas lock. Couple recruits tweeted that shit, but not the 9.95 crowd. Even the most optimistic thought Texas had a slight lead

People lie about me all the time and I don’t get a single $9.95 check. Could be worse. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's a long time until December signing day...we still don't really know how the world of NIL is really going to affect teams. Handing oversized bags of cash to a bunch of ~18 yr olds when they no longer have to hide it should prove interesting.

This will be one of the more fascinating story lines of the next couple of seasons.

Handing very, very large sums of money to slightly older basketball players in the 1990s went over so well the NBA Players Association agree to a union contract that prevents it.

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Didn’t Texas shock aggy a few years ago by scooping up a sure fire all everything LB?  No guarantees …

Which one? Tim Cole? Anthony Wheeler? Jeff McCulloch? DeMarco Boyd? So many ones to choose from that ended up doing nothing here.

• Rage+1 3

We lost 6 straight games in embarrassing fashion including one to Kansas where they scored 57 points. We signed two perfect QB’s AFTER that shit show of a stretch and the best OL haul probably ever for Texas coupled with possibly a program rebuilding DL class. We should focus on beating ok state, Baylor, Kansas state, and in the future miss st, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, auburn, Kentucky…win 10 fucking games for a while consistently then let’s start the “recruit like bama” bullshit. @BurntOrange&White you really should be proud of how the board has handled you vomiting your obnoxious, ignorant shit everywhere. Carl got crowdsourced for acting like a fucking idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Which one? Tim Cole? Anthony Wheeler? Jeff McCulloch? DeMarco Boyd? So many ones to choose from that ended up doing nothing here.

“Nothing”?  AW had 235 tackles / 17 TFL / 7 sacks.  JM had 94 tackles / 9 TFL / 4 sacks.     People think nothing means they weren’t all big 12 or weren’t drafted.    Thats not how nothing works. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

“Nothing”?  AW had 235 tackles / 17 TFL / 7 sacks.  JM had 94 tackles / 9 TFL / 4 sacks.     People think nothing means they weren’t all big 12 or weren’t drafted.    Thats not how nothing works. 

Guess I could have worded it better. Wheeler was okay. Compared to the hype he had coming in, for McCulloch to register one season of over 30 tackles is pretty disappointing.

But yes, they weren’t nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Please... it hurts... don't do this..

I was down the rabbit hole already. Off ball LB takes the last 10 years 

2013- Deoundrei Davis and Naashon Hughes (guess you could classify him as an edge if you want)

2014- Edwin Freeman and Cameron Hampton

2015- Jefferson, Wheeler, Cameron Townsend, Cecil Cherry 

2016- McCulloch, Erick Fowler (hahahah), DeMarco Boyd

2017- Gary Johnson from the juco ranks

2018- Dele Adoeye, Vaughns (could probably consider him an edge guy)

2019- Floyd, Gbenda, Marcus Tillman, Caleb Johnson (lol), Juwan Mitchell (lololol)

2020- Hullaby, Ford

2021- Cooks, Mo Blackwell

2022- Trevell Johnson

24 guys and I count 10 who finished their eligibility at Texas or are still here.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was down the rabbit hole already. Off ball LB takes the last 1 years 

2013- Deoundrei Davis and Naashon Hughes (guess you could classify him as an edge if you want)

2019- Floyd, Gbenda, Marcus Tillman, Caleb Johnson (lol), Juwan Mitchell (lololol)

2020- Hullaby, Ford

2022- Trevell Johnson

24 guys and I count 10 who finished their eligibility at Texas or are still here.

I think Blackwell is moving to safety 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was down the rabbit hole already. Off ball LB takes the last 10 years 

2020- Hullaby, Ford

2022- Trevell Johnson

And only 2 who you can say were real good players.  Gary and Malik (maybe).  Jury still out on Ford, fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And only 2 who you can say were real good players.  Gary and Malik (maybe).  Jury still out on Ford, fingers crossed.

2017-2019 killed us and set us back to a place we still haven’t recovered from. No HS LB’s in 2017, both guys ended up portaling from the 2018 class and 2/3 HS and 2/2 juco takes hitting the portal or medically retiring from the 2019 haul. 

A cool 1 for 7 retention rate over a 3 class span.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Matthews today, Gullette on friday, baxter on the 10th. win those 3 and put hill behind us. We also have to see how hard Bama is pushing Hale this weekend.

Baxter is a silent and looks very likely to announce for us on the 10th but he’s also a guy that we’ll have to keep recruiting and needs to see improvement on the field. I think aggy will flip Owens which would help. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Of the really big money donors I’ve met from Texas and Texas A&M over the years, I’ve noticed distinct personalities. The Texas guys just didn’t seem like the type to want to get wrapped up in bag drops. The A&M guys, on the other hand… maybe it’s just the small sample size. Nevertheless, it makes WAY more sense right now to try to win with NIL and not the other b.s. for multiple reasons. 

This is my main beef with posters who bitch about Texas not dropping bags. If any poster wants to pony 5-6 figures to contribute to a bag, feel free. Do it. Otherwise shut the fuck up about how people with big money should spend their money, and what risks they should take when doing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Also, does anyone know the story of Johnny bowens? I saw he decomitted from aggy and is now on commit watch back to them. Any reason we never got involved? seems like a take.

Tweener. 6’2 250ish and his ranking has steadily dropped the past 7 months. Don’t think he makes sense for the final DL spot.

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

This is my main beef with posters who bitch about Texas not dropping bags. If any poster wants to pony 5-6 figures to contribute to a bag, feel free. Do it. Otherwise shut the fuck up about how people with big money should spend their money, and what risks they should take when doing it.

I completely agree. If anyone complains about the coaching, get in there and do the Oklahoma drill with the boys

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Tweener. 6’2 250ish and his ranking has steadily dropped the past 7 months. Don’t think he makes sense for the final DL spot.

Funny thing is if he lands back with aggy they were saying they let him go because they were getting big time DL.

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Who do you think we end with to go with Mitchell?  Deal?  Can't really think of anyone else currently.  Green and Osborne aren't happening.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Idiotic move has Gullette in college station rn and got the best linebacker in the state and got two priority targets we had last year

hey man. I like your avitar and you have a cool handle. but I ain't repping any of your posts.

The Aggies are pumping themselves at championship aspirants based largely on their great class last year and beating Alabama last year. If recruits are buying that, then I suppose a lot depends on if they can deliver a season that proves it. 

Out of one side of their mouths they're talking about a run this season and certainly next season. Out of the other side of their mouths they're saying 10 wins and a NY6 bowl which doesn't necessarily prove that they're going anywhere. The could lose 3 or 4 with a new QB and DC and seem stuck.

The bar is lower for us to look like we're going somewhere. If we win 10 games and/or the conference and win a bowl game, our trajectory is clear. We must finish the season strong and be excited about it. A year from now we can be selling the future while the Aggies are trying to fight the appearance of stagnation. 

I'm feeling like this could all work out pretty well for us in picking up a late recruit or two and sacking up again next year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, mwaadeeb said:

Naw. Hicks was solid when he wasn't hurt. Kinda like Whittington if he has a decent senior year.

Yeah, I was being a smartass. Our best linebackers have been pretty highly rated. This is true at most schools. So while not all highly rated linebackers become stars, most star linebackers were highly rated recruits. Of course, you can find non-highly rated guys who spun down from db or grew late, but those guys are the exception.

3 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

We need patterson to do his magic and have a diff position player move to LB and ball out.
I mean wasnt that his fortay at tcu? Moving players around to diff positions and it working out pretty good?
Yeah ok, i will stfu

Bert Auburn, imo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Didn’t Texas shock aggy a few years ago by scooping up a sure fire all everything LB?  No guarantees …

I mean I would take a Big 12 defensive player of the year like Malik Jefferson at LB right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1