Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, ousux said:

I totally believe the first two but having a little trouble processing the last one..

Goes against reports our LB's and DB's havent missed a single tackle.

If he never sees the field, he can't be tackled.Ā 

Inb4 bakermayfield.gif

does he want to maximize how good the team he goes to is while he is in school?
and what is the best way to maximize it - by recruiting. he is the #1 player in the class across every group (on3, ESPN, 247, Rivals) and plays QB, if he doesn't maximize his ability to pull folks into the class i will be floored.
idk when he makes his mind up but betting it is well before NSD1

This. There is zero fucking chance he waits till signing day.

6 hours ago, ousux said:

I totally believe the first two but having a little trouble processing the last one..

Goes against reports our LB's and DB's havent missed a single tackle.

I guess you didn't read the part that talked about the O-line crushing every combo block and not letting the RBs get touched until they hit the secondary. Can't miss tackles if you're being blocked. The LBs have been really good in coverage but only had to make one tackle because that's all the completed passes they've allowed--so still room for the coaches to preach improvement.

IT on Jaquaize Pettaway

Spoiler

On Friday, Inside Texas attended the Cy-Falls track meet with the goal of tracking down star Langham Creek wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway. Receiver is a major need in UTā€™s 2023 class, and Pettaway is at or near the top of the coachesā€™ wish list.

Pettawayā€™s track speed ā€” a 10.55 100 meter as a sophomore ā€” manifests on the field and makes him one of the nationā€™s best deep-threat prospects. However, he also has the ability to become a well-rounded, do-it-all receiver, not unlike UT freshman Xavier Worthy.

Texas offered nearly a year ago and since that time heā€™s seen a solid stream of offers, including a rewarding recent run where National Champion Georgia added its name to the list of suitors.

Recent offers from Georgia, Oregon, and Ole Miss.
ā€œThose are three big schools. I was impressed I was able to get those, because a while ago I was like, I donā€™t know how many offers Iā€™m going to get. This time last year, yeah, I have a couple offers but I didnā€™t know I was going to get this big. Iā€™m very proud how far Iā€™ve come and how hard I worked.ā€

On the Oregon offer
ā€When they offered me, they were on a party bus. All lit. It was so hyped. I felt like I was on the party bus with them.ā€

A favorite school growing up?
ā€œNot really, because I was a basketball guy. I first liked basketball until middle school, then I was like, let me just try football. Ever since I just liked football. Well, actually, my first year playing football was 5th grade [laughing]. And the funny thing is, like, my first year playing football I was O-line and D-line. The fastest guy on the team playing O-line and D-line. Hey man, back in the day I didnā€™t have a problem with it, I was just out there doing my job. You tell me to do something and I just did it and got the job done and called it a day, man.ā€

How often heā€™s in contact with Texas
ā€œIā€™ll say, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I text Coach Sark, or the receiver coach.ā€œ

Thoughts on new UT receivers coach Brennan Marion
ā€œOh I like him. Heā€™s a very cool guy. Nothing but positivity. Heā€™s always there for me. We have conversations that are personal, not just football. I feel like we can talk about anything.ā€

Upcoming spring visits
ā€œIā€™m going to try my best to get to Cincinnati, OU, UT. Iā€™m going to try get to Ohio State, but due to track I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll make it.ā€

Timeline for a decision
ā€œIā€™m going to commit in the summer after all my officials.ā€

Expect a furious finish to this one. Pettawayā€™s track season could very well have him focused on that sport well into May. His plan is to take June official visits before deciding ahead of his senior season.

Pettaway is the nationā€™s No. 6-ranked wide receiver and No. 34 player in the country, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. On3 tabs Chatman as the No. 6-ranked wide receiver and No. 46 player overall.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Pettaway is the nationā€™s No. 6-ranked wide receiver and No. 34 player in the country, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. On3 tabs Chatman as the No. 6-ranked wide receiver and No. 46 player overall.

Ā 

DeUnte others ... as others DeUnte you?

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

The No. 1 recruit in the 2023 class reportedly eliminated the Clemson Tigers from competition last week. He reportedly is down to four schools: Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Texas.

However, the latest report about Manning suggests two of those schools are out. One college football reporter thinks Georgia and Ole Miss are out.

ā€œI think the two places he would go are Texas or Alabama,ā€ Heisman voter Brent Beaird said this week. ā€œI donā€™t know if people have heard this or if theyā€™ve talked to him about it, but David Cutcliffe is very close to the Mannings.ā€

ā€œThere was talk and reports about Cutcliffe going to as an analyst. Now, look, donā€™t tell me you want him to just got to Texas as an analyst. Heā€™s a really good football coach and a great quarterbacks coach, but that would have a lot to do with him going to Texas.ā€

Itā€™s impossible to know for sure at this point where Manning will be playing his college football. He likely doesnā€™t even know where he wants to play yet, even if he is narrowing down his list.

He still has another high school football season to go through before making his decision anyway.

That wonā€™t stop fans from dreaming, though, of course.

Ā 

https://thespun.com/college-football/new-report-suggests-arch-manning-will-pick-1-of-2-teams

Brent Beaird (who the fook is that guy?) thinks it's down to Texas and Bama.

And, he's apparently heard of David Cutcliffe, tooĀ 

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Ā 

https://thespun.com/college-football/new-report-suggests-arch-manning-will-pick-1-of-2-teams

Brent Beaird (who the fook is that guy?) thinks it's down to Texas and Bama.

And, he's apparently heard of David Cutcliffe, tooĀ 

I too have heard of Judd heathecoate. Ā  Ā David cutcliffe

Harris's Stampede

Ā 

Spoiler

The offseason is officially in full swing as name-brand camps and 7-on-7 tournaments begin to take center stage for the 2023 class in the month of February.

This past weekend, Dallas was a popular place to be as a pair of 7-on-7 tournaments in Southlake (HERO Tournament) and Plano (DR7 Tournament) made noise. On the camp side of things, Arlington Martin High School hosted a camp put on by ESPN, Under Armour, and The Underclassmen Report where some of the state's best 2023-2025 talent was on display, specifically on the offensive and defensive lines.

During the dead period, camps and 7-on-7 tournaments have been the popular events to frequent for the 2023 class as multiple national brand tournaments have already swung through the state of Texas, but that hasn't stopped recruits from planning their next visits with March 1 quickly approaching.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we'll dive into multiple notes and nuggets from the weekend in Dallas as well as tap into sourced information from an additional tournament in San Antonio.

UC REPORT - DALLAS

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
- The opportunity to play in the 2023 Under Armour All-American Game was on the line on Saturday afternoon as The UC Report had one golden ticket to Orlando to punch for the overall MVP of the day. At the end of it all, Cypress (Texas) Ranch four-star defensive lineman Ashton Porter was able to secure his spot in the game and committed on the spot after a solid day against some of the state's best offensive linemen.

In catching up with Porter after the event, it was clear that Texas still remains at the top for him despite his recruitment process potentially dragging into the summer. Arkansas and Baylor are two schools that have made strong pushes, but it's his relationship with Bo Davis that has stood out to him recently. The two talk almost daily and have connected on multiple fronts. I still like where my Crystal Ball sits for the athletic defensive lineman.

- The race for Arlington (Texas) Martin five-star cornerback Javien Toviano is going to be a crowded one, but the talented defensive back has Texas back in that top grouping after the Longhorns had slipped a bit in previous months. His recent trip to Austin for Junior Day brought Texas "back into the picture" on the heels of strong relationships with Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks. He has been made a clear priority by the Texas defensive staff, but schools such as Texas A&M, LSU, Oregon, and Ohio State are all making similar impressions. Oregon is especially one program I'm keeping a close eye on as he plans his trip to Eugene. This is a recruitment I could see stretched all the way to Signing Day.

- Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest athlete Markis Deal has become a highly-touted recruit on both sides of the line of scrimmage as an interior offensive lineman and defensive lineman. On Saturday, he was working at his preferred position of defensive line in drills where he showed some explosion and finesse. In catching up with him afterwards, Deal highlighted his relationship with Bo Davis as one that stands out in his recruitment among a crowded field. Deal is still relatively wide-open heading into the spring.

- Mansfield (Texas) Timberview offensive lineman Andre Cojoe talks routinely with Kyle Flood along with Oklahoma, TCU, and Houston, but his recruitment has slowed down a bit since the start of the new year. Cojoe understands that in being a year younger than most of his classmates that his development will come at a slower pace, and he is looking for a school that feels the same way. Texas has made it clear that he is still on its board and would welcome in the opportunity of bringing him in and developing him under a redshirt year. The harder Texas pushes, the better I would feel about the Longhorns' chances. Regardless, I think this one sticks close to home.

- Frisco (Texas) Wakeland offensive lineman Connor Stroh had a solid performance on Saturday and earned MVP honors on the offensive line. Texas was Stroh's first offer back in October and it has paid dividends as more schools get involved as each week passes. His relationship and comfortability with Kyle Flood is strong and each visit makes Stroh feel like a priority target. He is also beginning to build a strong relationship with Steve Sarkisian as Texas begins to emerge as a legitimate contender. I'm close to a Crystal Ball Prediction here, but will wait for some more development throughout the spring ahead of a planned summer decision.

HERO TOURNAMENT - DALLAS
- Multiple highly-touted recruits were in action in Southlake at the HERO Tournament where one of Texas Flex's three teams were able to pull away with the title led by Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus four-star 2024 quarterback Cole Welliver, Dallas Lincoln 2023 wide receiver Jamel Hardy, and Arlington (Texas) Bowie 2023 wide receiver Kelby Valsin.

- For the main Texas Flex team, DeSoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook was in action as he hauled in multiple touchdown receptions throughout the weekend and attracted the cameras of about every reporter in the area. I caught up with Cook to discuss the latest in his recruitment and mainly wanted to discuss the contending schools aside from Texas. Texas A&M was a school he visited during January as he was able to get a real feel for College Station and connect with former 7-on-7 teammate Evan Stewart. Ohio State is another school that is catching Cook's attention as he has his eyes set on going out to Columbus in the coming months. Cook isn't stressing on getting back to Texas anytime soon because of his multiple previous trips, so I wouldn't expect a return trip to Austin until the Spring Game. He's in communication with Brennan Marion and AJ Milwee daily, and Steve Sarkisian multiple times a week. While I see Texas as the leader here, this is another one that I see stretching all the way to December ahead of him enrolling at his school of choice next spring.

- Arlington (Texas) Sam Houston tight end Lafayette Kaiuway wasn't playing this past weekend, but he was out supporting some teammates for TDG Elite. I caught up with Kaiuway on Sunday and discussed two main contenders that have seemingly separated from the rest of the pack: Texas and North Carolina. For Texas, Jeff Banks has made Kaiuway feel like a priority since day one as the staff pitches him on a similar role as what Jaleel Billingsley will play in his first season in Austin. The staff sees Kaiuway as an almost identical type of player, so Kaiuway is looking forward to seeing how Billingsley is used during spring ball. North Carolina is a place where he has a lot of family, and his recent visit to Chapel Hill opened his eyes to potentially playing for Mack Brown at the next level. Official visits to both schools could help create some separation, but I see this as a two-horse race moving forward.

DR7 TOURNAMENT - DALLAS

- Arlington (Texas) Seguin four-star defensive back and Texas' lone 2023 commit Jamel Johnson was back in action with his True Buzz team this past weekend in Plano as he was able to show off his junior season improvements. Despite being committed, Johnson is eyeing some visits to SEC schools this spring including LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Auburn. While Johnson does maintain that he's locked in with Blake Gideon and the rest of the Texas staff, visits will still be something to monitor moving forward. I see LSU as the chief competitor to pulling Johnson away from Texas if it were to happen.

ADDITIONAL NOTES
- San Antonio was the site for an additional 7-on-7 tournament where El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens caught the attention of just about everyone in attendance. His receiving skills were on full display as he has begun to fully weaponize his receiving game in recent months. Owens is going to be a fun one to watch during the 7-on-7 season.

- Another recruit that raised some eyebrows was Converse (Texas) Judson wide receiver Anthony Evans. The Arkansas commit has flown a little under the radar compared to some bigger names in the 2023 class, but he is starting to etch his name among those top wide receiver options in the state. This is a recruit to watch moving into the spring.

- In case you missed it early Monday morning, Texas secured its second 2024 commit from Daingerfield (Texas) athlete Aeryn Hampton. Hampton has emphasized that Texas is his dream school, but an already previous commitment to Baylor and a dash of suddenness in is personality makes this one understandably tough to soak in for Texas fans. I expect that recruitment to be a bit of a roller coaster, but the early indications are that safeties coach Blake Gideon and the rest of the Texas staff are willing to weather the storm for one of the more talented athlete recruits to come out of East Texas in a long time.

- The 2023 safety board is about as fluid as fluid gets as Texas continues to look around for elite talent at the position. Some previously offered safety prospects such as Daniel Demery in the state of Texas have seen communication fall off a bit, while others such as Tyler Turner, Ryan Yaites, and Deldrick Madison have remained consistent. The staff has stretched out-of-state as well for elite targets as Derek Williams and Makari Vickers are two prospects Texas has done great work with early on. If you're looking for a position to have some fun with in this cycle, this is the one.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

Scoop

Spoiler

ā€˜Team runā€™ will be making a return to offseason programming this week. Team run is essentially a combination of meetings ā€” special teams, positional, and team ā€” as well as agility work.

IT thinks the agility work will factor into the accountability competition we outlined last week, but weā€™re not entirely sure on that. Agility work is very fast-paced from one activity to the next. Each station is three minutes long.

Team run will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Lifting days are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

As weā€™ve mentioned, the goal is gaining strength across the board. Players are given their workouts upon arrival. When they get to each lift, they scan in their ID as a way to record their lifting numbers and ensure theyā€™re progressing.

Weā€™ve heard good things about a number of players hitting the weights hard. Many are going above the number theyā€™re expected to perform. And if players are looking like the load is too light, other players will encourage them to add weight.

Strength gains should come relatively fast for this group as they were nowhere close to plateaued.

Theyā€™re still doing the main, fundamental strength and power lifts, with an emphasis on lower body: back and front squats, dead lifts, power cleans, etc.

Some more redundant news: We continue to hear great things about a number of early enrollees. The more we hear positives from different sources the more likely it is these players will hit the field running come March 22. Jaylon Guilbeau and BJ Allen were yet again singled out. ā€œThey didnā€™t come here to redshirt. They have the mindset and want to work.ā€

Ryan Watts was also called ā€˜fast.ā€™ Thatā€™s not exactly what IT was expecting to hear regarding the plus-sized corner from Ohio State. If he is indeed fast, well thereā€™s your boundary corner the next two years.

On the defensive side, weā€™ve heard Ovie Oghoufo will likely remain Sam when the defense is in the 3-4 look. DeMarvion Overshown will also get a look there. This is probably a spot Derrick Brown will get a look at as well when he arrives to campus.

Jett Bush is at linebacker, but heā€™ll also get some looks at Buck, which might be his best position overall.

IT is still expecting a linebacker to be added to the roster.

RECRUITING

Sā€™maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley - 2023: The feeling picked up on Inside Texasā€™ visit to North Crowley was that the Longhorns are a slight favorite over Baylor headed into March. Texas getting Burrell back on campus in March or April will be key, as Burrell will be on campus at Oklahoma and USC. The Sooners are expected to become a threat to Texas and Baylor per a source close to the recruitment. The Ohio State offer has Burrell intrigued, but distance from home is expected to play a part at the end of the day. The source close to Burrellā€™s recruitment that speaks with multiple Texas assistants passed along that the Texas staff is fairly confident in where they stand with Anthony Hill.

Derion Gullette, EDGE, Marlin (Texas) - 2023: IT got a strong feeling that the uber athletic 6-foot-3.5, 228-pound EDGE prospect will be a battle between Texas and Texas A&M barring a Marcus Freeman surprise. Ohio State is also very much in it, but Al Washington going to Notre Dame sets back the Buckeyes headed into a spring unofficial visit. A person close to the recruitment believes Texas will eventually win out. IT is not ready to go there at this point. Texas having a plan for Gullette is a positive. Envisioning him as an EDGE in year one, learning the system and eventually becoming a Mike and EDGE as a three-down player has resonated. Jaray Bledsoe having a very good experience, and the Marlin coaching staff hearing positive feedback on Bledsoe helps confirm some positive feelings for those close to Gulletteā€™s recruitment. To be clear, however, Bledsoe will not be a reason Gullette picks a school. Gullette has reconnected with Sā€™maje Burrell, as they played youth football together before the Burrell family moved to Fort Worth, and is building a relationship with Anthony Hill. IT will not be surprised if all three are in Austin for the spring game. Should Alabama offer, all bets are off with the recruitment.

Ashton Porter, EDGE, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Ranch - 2023: There is zero doubt Texas holds a comfortable lead for Porter. With that said, Porter is likely to take his recruitment through the summer official visit process. Texas hasnā€™t had a clear competitor for Porterā€™s signature to this point, but an offer from LSU or Georgia could be just that. Both are showing increased interest.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin - 2023: There is zero doubt that Oklahoma had emerged as the favorite for the On3 Consensus four-star prior to Lincoln Riley leaving for USC. That caused Toviano to take a big step back, slow down the process, and really study staffs moving forward according to a source close to the recruitment. The Texas visit on January 22 certainly helped the Longhornsā€™ cause. An LSU visit on March 5 will be interesting, as Toviano has become a top target of the new staff. Notre Dame and Ohio State unofficials this spring will factor into the recruitment heavily. Marcus Freeman and the Fighting Irish staff has resonated with Toviano. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are also very much in the picture.

Terrance Green, DL/OL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods - 2023: The Texas staff is fully aware of how well Green performed Saturday at the Underclassman Power Academy at Arlington Martin. The Texas area recruiter stopped by Cy Woods in late January to gather info, but now the Longhorn staff is taking a more serious approach to the evaluation of Green. That evaluation is on both sides of the ball. Oklahoma State and TCU are recruiting Green as an offensive tackle. Texas Tech and Baylor are recruiting Green with the idea of giving him a shot on defense first.

There is little doubt after attending the Underclassman Power Academy Saturday that the Longhorns are in a good position for On3 Consensus three-star O-linemen Connor Stroh and Andre Cojoe. After further evaluation of each Saturday, On3 projects both as interior prospects at the next level. Speaking of interior offensive line prospects, donā€™t be surprised if Riley Van Poppel receives a spring evaluation by Texas as a guard/center prospect. Van Poppel has grown to 6-foot-4.5 and nearly 270 pounds with quality feet, bend and toughness. He has defensive line offers, and more schools are talking to him about playing on the offensive line.

Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa (Texas) Permian ā€“ 2023: The offers keep coming for the No. 69 overall 2023 prospect in the On3 Consensus. At 6-foot-4, 302 pounds, the interior o-line prospect added a Miami offer last week to his list that includes Dame, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Clemson.

Sewell likes new Miami coach Mario Cristobal and his staff in Coral Gables, but he isnā€™t the south beach type. He still stays close to the Texas staff, connecting with Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. He doesnā€™t have a visit planned, but hitting the spring game in April has been discussed.

Sewell and 2023 UT quarterback target Arch Manning stay in touch, and that might be the Hornsā€™ best chance at steering the momentum in these sweepstakes. He also has Longhorns in his family. Notre Dame and Oklahoma have the early advantage, both have the small-town atmosphere Sewell seems to favor. A visit to College Station could be in the plans.

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuka (Hawaii) ā€“ 2023: Texas is keeping close tabs on the 6-foot-1, 211-pound defender from Hawaii. Lefau is an inside linebacker target and On3 Consensus four-star with double-digit offers including Texas, USC, Michigan, Oregon, and Washington.

UT continues to work on Lefau with Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski leading the charge.

He recently took unofficial visits to Oregon, Southern Cal, and UCLA, and hit BYU late last season. The key here is he wants to return to Texas.

After tripping to Austin last year with his family, the four-star linebacker likes what the Horns are doing and is impressed with the 2022 signing class.

Itā€™ll be tough pulling him away from somewhere on the West Coast, but Texas seems to be diligent in its pursuit.

Mario Buford, DB, Desoto (Texas) - 2024: The 6-foot-1, 175-pound cornerback just needed to grow a little and add some varsity experience. Mission accomplished for the unranked athlete.

Nebraska, Texas A&M, Oregon, Mississippi State, and SMU are pushing for Bufordā€™s services, with Texas inviting him to the spring game on April 24. Good chance he attends with teammate and fellow UT target Johntay Cook.

Sources close to Buford says heā€™s wide open and just now receiving strong indications heā€™ll be ready at the next level. His sophomore season went well, and now Desoto head coach Claude Mathis will be counting on Buford in 2022 and 2023.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ā 

Inside five-star LB Anthony Hill's top six schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Ā 

Spoiler

Inside five-star LB Anthony Hill's top six schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Ā 

The nationā€™s No. 1 linebacker in Denton (Texas) Ryan five-star Anthony Hill released a top six on Monday afternoon. The programs in best position to land the Lone Star State blue-chipper include Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and USC.

ā€œRelationships pretty much,ā€ Anthony Hill Sr. said of what set the tone for the finalists. ā€œHeā€™s been getting recruited for a long time now. Itā€™s mainly relationships and some teams he likes and programs, even though there were some coaching changes he liked the schools already.

ā€œWith OU, he always liked OU," Hill continued. "Lincoln Riley left of course so there is interest in USC, itā€™s a strong interest, but with OU we know (Brent) Venables and those guys and (Ted) Roof and a defensive-minded program. Ant really likes that and what theyā€™re selling and what theyā€™re trying to do with the program and hard-nosed football.ā€

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Hill most recently visited the Aggies and Sooners in January and has visited most of his finalists throughout his process. The family is in the process of lining things up for March, April and beyond.

ā€œWe have some places weā€™re going to go, we just havenā€™t scheduled them yet,ā€ his father said. ā€œProbably April, Alabama spring game. Weā€™re going to try and get down to Miami in March, if not weā€™ll wait for the summer. Weā€™ll go to OU in March and Texas A&M and heā€™s going to take an official to USC sometime this summer.ā€

Hill is looking to commit early in his senior season.

ā€œIf he has to push it back, if heā€™s not 100 percent sure yet we will, but now sometime in the fall, September or October,ā€ the elder Hill explained. ā€œHe doesnā€™t want to wait till the end of the season but if he has to we will. Especially with him early enrolling we want to get it out the way so he can enjoy the rest of his time in high school.ā€

Hill knows what heā€™s looking for in a school.

ā€œCoaching staff, tradition, defense,ā€ Hill Sr. listed. ā€œHeā€™s a defensive guy. He doesnā€™t really care much about offense. He wants to go somewhere theyā€™re playing good defense and guys are going to the next level on defense and somewhere where they do a good job with life after ball. Some of these schools do a great job with that.ā€

Hillā€™s father broke down each finalists.

Alabama: ā€œBama is Bama thats all I can say about Bama. Tradition, winning, National Championships, pipeline to the NFL.ā€

Miami: ā€œIā€™m originally from South Florida and Iā€™ve always been a Miami Hurricanes fan. Thatā€™s mainly where his interest comes from watching the games growing up and the tradition they have from the old Miami teams. Heā€™s a big Sean Taylor fan, Ray Lewis.ā€

Oklahoma: ā€œTradition. The winning.ā€

Texas: ā€œBeing a Texas kid, we moved to Texas when he was six. Heā€™s pretty much a Texas kid and at his school theyā€™ve been sending a lot. One of his best friends going there Austin (Jordan), they have Jaā€™Tavion there, Texas has always been around and theyā€™ve been recruiting him for a while now.ā€

Texas A&M: ā€œItā€™s the culture man. He loves the culture. He loves what A&M is trending up too. He loves the style of defense.ā€

USC: ā€œOf course Lincoln Riley, Coach (Brian) Odom, he has a strong relationship with them. Heā€™s been getting those K9 (Kenneth Murray) comparisons for awhile. Heā€™s been getting those comparisons and he likes what (Alex) Grinch and Odom did with him and theyā€™re real high on Ant and think he can be a player like Kenneth Murray.ā€

As a junior, Hill racked up 131 tackles including 18 stops for loss, eight sacks, two forced fumbles, three recovered and two interceptions.

Hill is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the countryā€™s No. 9 overall prospect regardless of position.

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

ā€œCultureā€. It is the one thing we havenā€™t been talking about enough. Yes, they pay. But the A&M football environment that has been in place for years got even better under Jimbo. Kids actually like it there. Best accommodations, lax school work and a free for all environment. It helps when the kids are really happy regardless of 8-4 records. Ā At one point, they will get the talent to succeed and then 30 for 30.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

What gives?

Is Landsbury your Holly Rowe?

Shit man, thatā€™s all relative. Angie was hot as shit and down for whatever in the 60s

3FCF94EF-A48F-4327-98D8-190F817D7B7F.jpeg.0c78f7ce5f952f0036ad7b216825defb.jpeg

Ā 

but no, the gif was mostly directed at:

38 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Texas A&M: ā€œItā€™s the culture man. He loves the culture.

Ā 

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

But the A&M football environment that has been in place for years got even better under Jimbo. Kids actually like it there. Best accommodations, lax school work and a free for all environment.Ā 

They have to win the title before the free for all turns into the lose-to-BC-in-Tallahassee cultural collapse. It's a ticking clock.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT - Best Class Scenario for the 2023 cycle

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns have designs on signing a second straight top five class. If that is to transpire, the Longhorns will have to hit on a number of prospects that make up the initial ā€œBest Class Scenarioā€ for the 2023 cycle.

The Best Class Scenario will be fluid as the Texas targets change, and the prospect rankings change that would alter the trajectory of the best class possibilities.

With that said, here is the initial Best Class Scenario for the 2023 cycle headed into the spring evaluation period.

Quarterback (1)
Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 1

Comment: It goes without saying heā€™s in the best case scenario class. Heā€™s the tip of the spear for the Texas class. Texas is a battle with Alabama, and possibly Georgia. Everyone else is a long shot currently. Official visits will be decisive on the current timeline.

Running back (1-2)
Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 25

Comment: A battle with A&M looms, but landing Manning would go a long way to landing Owens. A big first recruiting battle for Tashard Choice.

Wide receiver (3-4)
Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 34

Comment: Heā€™s a must-get and certainly a winnable recruitment. Texas in the hunt with LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. An Alabama offer would serve as a recruitment changer. Pettaway is a favorite of Brennan Marion early on.

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 55

Comment: The same thing goes for Owens as it does Cook. Land Manning and UT is the favorite. Texas also needs to show good QB play on the field this year. This is a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle at the end of the day barring a shift.

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 463

Marion has been all over Parker since he was coaching at Pittsburgh. The offer after arriving at Texas shows how much Marion covets Parkerā€™s skill level. Punt return ability adds to value.

Jaden Greathouse, WR/TE, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 122

Comment: Fans worry about his position, the staff wants him in the class and views him as an offensive weapon.

Tight end (1-2)
Lafayette Kaiuway, TE, Arlington (Texas) Sam Houston
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 388

Comment: Jeff Banks got a good jump on this recruitment. Kaiuway can play in-line or flexed. Has the ability to become a do-it-all TE.

Offensive line (4)
Jaydon Chatman, OT/IOL, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 152

Comment: Kyle Flood was Chatmanā€™s first offer and that helps UTā€™s cause as other national powers have jumped into the fray. Tackle ability adds to Chatmanā€™s value. Texas will battle Oklahoma, Baylor and others through the whistle.

T.J. Shanahan, IOL, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 97

Comment: Westlake influence on the Florida move-in should help UTā€™s cause. A push from Alabama or Georgia will make this one tougher.

Harris Sewell, IOL, Odessa (Texas) Permian
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 69

Comment: A national battle looms for the Permian mauler. Landing Manning is probably a prerequisite here. Texas is recruiting from behind, but Kyle Flood will recruit through the whistle.

Defensive line (3)
Zalance Heard, DT/OT, Monroe (La.) Neville
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 104

Comment: Bo Davis is all over the ultra-talented Heard. His upside is on offense but he prefers defense. The big question surrounding his recruitment will be which blue bloods offer on offense vs. defense.

Markis Deal, DL/IOL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 88

Comment: Itā€™s an interesting cycle in that so many players whose ceiling is O-line prefer D-line. Texas will have to recruit and allocate room accordingly.

David Hicks, DL, Allen (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 5

Comment: Well, we told you it was a best case scenario class. Oklahoma and Texas A&M are ahead of Texas.

Jayden Wayne, DL, Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 30

Comment: Wayne grew up watching Pete Kwiatkowski produce a stellar defensive product as well as NFL talent.

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: NR

Comment: Just scratching the surface, Nedore has some Moro Ojomo to him. It was obvious on a school visit to Round Rock how much Bo Davis covets Nedore.

EDGE (2-3)
Ashton Porter, EDGE/DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy Ranch
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 233

Comment: A PK favorite similar to Justice Finkley in 2022. How badly a staff wants a player is a good indication of how good their long-term chances will be.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 293

Comment: Texas is in great shape for both Vasek and Porter. Vasek doesnā€™t possesses the athleticism and frame upside of Ethan Burke, but is a solid player.

Derion Gullette, EDGE, Marlin (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 369

Comment: Texas has the most detailed pitch for Gullette, and itā€™s a compelling one given how raw he is as an ILB. A Texas vs. Texas A&M battle looms unless Marcus Freeman can change that.

Linebacker (2-3)
Anthony Hill, EDGE/LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 13

Comment: Texas versus A&M and OU, barring some outside interference. A very winnable recruitment but you know A&M will go the extra mile.

Sā€™Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 293

Comment: ā€˜Our kind of guyā€™ personified. Burrell fits the mold for the modern linebacker with his intelligence and movement skills. Texas is battling Baylor with Oklahoma expected to make a move March 5. USC and Ohio State will also get spring visits.

Jayven Anderson, LB, Houston (Texas) North Shore
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 583

Comment: Given linebackers are hard to find, one route to go is to grow a safety into the position. Anderson will be 6-foot-1, 225-230 pounds, and run in the 4.5ā€™s with safety ball skills. Gary Patterson approves. The Texas staff shouldnā€™t overthink this one.

Defensive back (5-6)
Dalton Brooks, S, Shiner (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 59

Comment: One of the big Texas vs A&M battles. Texas needs a high-quality pure safety in the class and that would be Brooks.

Jamel Johnson, S/N, Arlington (Texas) Seguin
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 171

#AllGasNoBrakes

Bravion Rogers, DB, La Grange (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 40

Comment: Texas took numerous versatile DBs in the 2022 class, but none had the speed of Rogers. Rogersā€™ ability to back pedal will determine where he plays in the secondary long term.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 24

Comment: Heā€™s one of the top defensive backs in the country and really good corners are hard to find. Heā€™s also an unbelievable kid. Sounds like a professional when interacting with him. That will increase demand. UT is in a solid spot and it doesnā€™t hurt Toviano has two former teammates at Texas in Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson.

Jayvon Thomas, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 118

Comment: Has strong athletic traits for the position. After the last cycle, pure corners are a need in 2023. Malik Muhammed is the better player today, but Thomas has the athletic upside. Dad played at Notre Dame.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 113

Comment: Texas landing a stud from Baton Rouge wonā€™t be easy, but if thereā€™s a time to do it, itā€™s now. UT is better equipped to recruit Louisiana than at any other point we can recall, especially on the heels of a coaching change at LSU that saw Corey Raymond depart.

Athlete (1)
Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 89

Comment: Steve Sarkisian is involved in this one, which tells you quite a bit. MH-P has significant safety upside, but heā€™s good enough to play receiver at Texas even given what Sark selects for.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2