Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Former OU commit

Spoiler

LAS VEGAS — Through DeAndre Moore’s eyes, he’s got a second chance to make one decision.

After backing off his Oklahomacommitment last month, the nation’s No. 50 overall player on the On3 Consensusintends to take his time picking his next school. Five teams have already emerged to the forefront.

Texas, Alabama, Oregon, USC and Louisville are all currently slated to receive official visits. 

“These are the five schools really high on my list right now,” Moore told On3. “It’s almost like there’s a whole new group of girls that want you right now. Everything is back open and I’m building relationships with new people. there’s a lot of old faces, too.”

“Not too many people have the second chance at this thing, so I’m just enjoying this process until it’s over,” he added. 

Texas left an impression

Moore visited Austin last summer before eventually pledging to the Sooners. 

The four-star wide receiver knows Steve Sarkisian dating back to his days at Alabama, where he recruited him, and that relationship hasn’t missed a beat.

“I played against Coach Sark’s son this past year,” Moore recalled. “He said, ‘Dad, DeAndre can really go.’ Knowing Coach Sark and Coach Jeff Banks since they offered me my eighth-grade year at Alabama, and now going into my senior year, it’s been a good relationship.”

Moore left Texas last summer with one thought that continues to factor in his recruitment now.

“It was fantastic and awesome, but the best part was the people,” he said. “I’m a big people person. Austin was a great city. The people were so nice and one thing about the staff is the emphasis on getting developed. It was great.”

Alabama checks a key box

Sarkisian and Banks delivered an offer from the Tide ahead of his freshman year. Holmon Wiggins leads the charge for Alabama these days.

Alabama’s wide receivers coach has made a habit out of signing the nation’s best in recent years. He’s targeted Moore as next in line.

“Me and Coach Wiggins talk every week,” Moore said. “We have a good relationship. We talk about getting better, furthering my game. Alabama speaks for itself. It’s always gonna be Alabama and that’s always gonna be attractive to me.”

“Our vibes and our energy are the same,” he added on Wiggins. “We’re don’t get too (high), not too low, and he meets me where I’m at. He understands that I have a goal and I want to get somewhere, and he wants to take me to that place. He’s had a ton wide receivers and he understands me.”

New Oregon staff brings energy

Oregon was in the mix for the nation’s No. 9-ranked wide receiver when Mario Cristobal was there. The new Oregon staff has the California playmaker’s attention, too.

Moore is eyeing a visit to Oregon this offseason. He has a longstanding connection to offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham that ranks high to him.

“I loved the old coaching staff, but the new staff is lit,” Moore said. “Coach Dillingham offered me in the eighth grade. I’m big on loyalty and we’ve been together since eighth grade and I’m about to be a senior. He’s been here this whole process and I’ve been to Florida State when he was there, Auburn when he was there and Oregon, now I got to get there.”

Head Duck Dan Lanning and first-year wide receivers coach Junior Adams have also made strong impressions.

“Coach Adams coached Cooper Kupp and Kupp is different,” Moore added. “Coach Lanning has that ring. I want to play both sides of the ball in college and they have that great energy.”

Louisville visit ‘shocks’ Moore

Pierce Clarkson’s early Louisvillecommitment has the attention of many recruits on the West Coast. Count Moore among them.

The Los Alamito (Calif.) High product was alongside Clarkson in January for a visit, which ultimately inserted the Cardinals into the conservation.

“I was blown away when I went to Louisville and I was shocked,” Moore detailed. “He (Clarkson) has NFT billboards all over the city; the people are great; it’s a fantastic coaching staff and they’re fantastic. They came to my school and when I was up there, we went over film on how they’d use, like Tutu Atwellthere, and it’s definitely been good.”

“Louisville is definitely attractive to me right now,” he added.

Lincoln Riley has USC in position to strike

Lincoln Riley compelled Moore to commit to him last year at Oklahoma and is actively working to repeat history now that he’s settled in at Southern Cal.

The Trojans have remained in the thick of Moore’s plans and certainly are in a strong spot entering the spring.

“SC is home,” Moore started. “SC is SC. The new coaching staff there is all from Oklahoma and I felt that type of way when he was there at Oklahoma and it’s the same thing now. They’re in my backyard, so it’s a no-brainer. I’m close with a lot of their commits like Zachariah Branch. We have a great relationship. USC is definitely one of my top schoools.”

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

What is the fuck is a Chinese Downhill?

Sex position most used by the Half Mile High club. The girl rides down the mountain on her skis while the guy stands on the backs boning her. When climax is reached, participants fall into the snow to cool off after the steamy encounter.

Ex: My winkie got cold when I gave Ronda the old Chinese downhill at the mountain this weekend but it was so worth it.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Former OU commit

Reveal hidden contents

LAS VEGAS — Through DeAndre Moore’s eyes, he’s got a second chance to make one decision.

After backing off his Oklahomacommitment last month, the nation’s No. 50 overall player on the On3 Consensusintends to take his time picking his next school. Five teams have already emerged to the forefront.

Texas, Alabama, Oregon, USC and Louisville are all currently slated to receive official visits. 

“These are the five schools really high on my list right now,” Moore told On3. “It’s almost like there’s a whole new group of girls that want you right now. Everything is back open and I’m building relationships with new people. there’s a lot of old faces, too.”

“Not too many people have the second chance at this thing, so I’m just enjoying this process until it’s over,” he added. 

Texas left an impression

The four-star wide receiver knows Steve Sarkisian dating back to his days at Alabama, where he recruited him, and that relationship hasn’t missed a beat.

“I played against Coach Sark’s son this past year,” Moore recalled. “He said, ‘Dad, DeAndre can really go.’ Knowing Coach Sark and Coach Jeff Banks since they offered me my eighth-grade year at Alabama, and now going into my senior year, it’s been a good relationship.”

Moore left Texas last summer with one thought that continues to factor in his recruitment now.

“It was fantastic and awesome, but the best part was the people,” he said. “I’m a big people person. Austin was a great city. The people were so nice and one thing about the staff is the emphasis on getting developed. It was great.”

Alabama checks a key box

Sarkisian and Banks delivered an offer from the Tide ahead of his freshman year. Holmon Wiggins leads the charge for Alabama these days.

Alabama’s wide receivers coach has made a habit out of signing the nation’s best in recent years. He’s targeted Moore as next in line.

“Me and Coach Wiggins talk every week,” Moore said. “We have a good relationship. We talk about getting better, furthering my game. Alabama speaks for itself. It’s always gonna be Alabama and that’s always gonna be attractive to me.”

“Our vibes and our energy are the same,” he added on Wiggins. “We’re don’t get too (high), not too low, and he meets me where I’m at. He understands that I have a goal and I want to get somewhere, and he wants to take me to that place. He’s had a ton wide receivers and he understands me.”

Oregon was in the mix for the nation’s No. 9-ranked wide receiver when Mario Cristobal was there. The new Oregon staff has the California playmaker’s attention, too.

Moore is eyeing a visit to Oregon this offseason. He has a longstanding connection to offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham that ranks high to him.

“I loved the old coaching staff, but the new staff is lit,” Moore said. “Coach Dillingham offered me in the eighth grade. I’m big on loyalty and we’ve been together since eighth grade and I’m about to be a senior. He’s been here this whole process and I’ve been to Florida State when he was there, Auburn when he was there and Oregon, now I got to get there.”

Head Duck Dan Lanning and first-year wide receivers coach Junior Adams have also made strong impressions.

“Coach Adams coached Cooper Kupp and Kupp is different,” Moore added. “Coach Lanning has that ring. I want to play both sides of the ball in college and they have that great energy.”

Pierce Clarkson’s early Louisvillecommitment has the attention of many recruits on the West Coast. Count Moore among them.

The Los Alamito (Calif.) High product was alongside Clarkson in January for a visit, which ultimately inserted the Cardinals into the conservation.

“I was blown away when I went to Louisville and I was shocked,” Moore detailed. “He (Clarkson) has NFT billboards all over the city; the people are great; it’s a fantastic coaching staff and they’re fantastic. They came to my school and when I was up there, we went over film on how they’d use, like Tutu Atwellthere, and it’s definitely been good.”

Lincoln Riley compelled Moore to commit to him last year at Oklahoma and is actively working to repeat history now that he’s settled in at Southern Cal.

The Trojans have remained in the thick of Moore’s plans and certainly are in a strong spot entering the spring.

“SC is home,” Moore started. “SC is SC. The new coaching staff there is all from Oklahoma and I felt that type of way when he was there at Oklahoma and it’s the same thing now. They’re in my backyard, so it’s a no-brainer. I’m close with a lot of their commits like Zachariah Branch. We have a great relationship. USC is definitely one of my top schoools.”

Probably commit to Lincoln Riley at USC. He already liked Riley enough to commit to him in Norman freakin' Oklahoma. 

Quick hits from Battle Las Vegas 7-on-7 tournament

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Quick hits from Battle Las Vegas 7-on-7 tournament

Mike Roach

— DeSoto four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook had a good day playing for Premium 7v7. Cook made a few different big plays and showed off everything we’ve seen from him over the past few years. Cook is planning a few different visits including Ohio State, LSU and Michigan who just recently offered. Cook is talking often with Chris Gilbert, Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion and will likely return during the spring with plans to attend the spring game.

— 2024 Long Beach (Calif.) Millikan wide receiver Ryan Pellum was impressive today playing on both sides of the ball. Texas has been able to make an impact early on and Pellum will be visiting Austin in the spring and Texas is positioned well early for the long receiver with a 10.7 100-meter time on his record.

— Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco four-star wide receiver Jahlil McClain has been to Texas twice and plans to come back for an unofficial visit and possibly an official visit, depending on how things shake out in his recruitment. It will likely depend on how Texas does with their wide receiver targets.

— Lovejoy wide receiver Kyle Parker named Texas, Louisville and Arkansas as the schools he’s hearing from most right now. His relationship with Marion is incredibly strong because of his recruitment of Parker while he was at Pitt. I’ll have more on Monday, but I think Texas is emerging as the team to really beat.

— As we reported a few weeks ago, things are heating up with Texas and four-star wide receiver Deandre Moore (Los Alamitos, Calif.). I’ll have more detail in The Stampede, but I believe Texas is very much in the thick of this race. Moore loves Austin and believes in Marion's skills as a developer following his work with Jordan Addison at Pitt. Texas should get an official visit.

— I caught up with four-star Texas commit Jamel Johnson of Arlington Seguin who said that he plans to take visits to other schools, but he remains locked in with the Longhorns. Two schools to watch are LSU and Ole Miss which he mentioned as putting pressure on him. I don’t think there’s much to see here at the moment.

— Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill is getting a strong push from Texas with Sarkisian leading the recruitment along with Gilbert and Jeff Choate. The elite inside linebacker wants to make visits to each school in his Top 6 and begin to narrow things more in the spring and summer. Hill said there will be no more cuts and his next move will be a commitment.

— Four-star Coppell defensive back Braxton Myers said he FaceTimed with the Longhorns just before he played on the first day of the tournament Saturday. Myers has a Top 12 and is looking to trim that down in the spring. He speaks mostly with Blake Gideon and wants to find a place where he can play early.

— Two guys caught my eyes as possible offer candidates for Texas in the 2023 class. The first is Philadelphia (Pa.) Roman Catholic EDGE Jameial Lyons. Lyons stole the show playing wide receiver at 6-foot-5, 245 pounds. Not only did he play it, Lyons played it well showing off great movement ability, impressive feet and overall athleticism. His tape checks out and he’s still under the radar a bit as a prospect.

— The second is Spanaway (Wa.) Lake defensive back Jasiah Wagoner. Wagoner was the best defensive back I saw on the field and performed extremely well against several big-name wide receivers. Wagoner holds 13 offers already, but Texas could make a splash in his recruitment if they choose to enter it.

image.thumb.png.01ee35989dc362ed766b146c19483b48.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick at Nite: Nuggets from a loaded Shock Doctor 7v7 tournament in Houston

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Nick at Nite: Nuggets from a loaded Shock Doctor 7v7 tournament in Houston

Nick Harris

The stars were out in Houston this weekend as 48 of the country's best 7v7 programs made their way to The Woodlands to compete for the Legend's Showcase title sponsored by Shock Doctor. Let's dive into the notable nuggets accumulated throughout the weekend:

- Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco five-star EDGE Matayo Uiagalelei was in action with STARS this weekend, playing both tight end and linebacker. He turned heads on both sides of the ball, including in his first pool play game when he grabbed an interception out of the air with one hand without even jumping. In talking recruiting, Texas was a spot he took a visit to during the season, but I see the Longhorns on the outside looking in right now. Ohio State, Alabama, USC, and Oregon were mentioned as some of the schools doing a good job recruiting him at the moment. If he uses all five officials, Texas could sneak in a visit but that would need to happen before I'd feel better about Texas' chances.

- El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens is preparing to take a few out-of-state visits that he hasn't be able to get out to yet this spring, but don't think that it hurts Texas' chances. I still like where the Longhorns are positioned in this recruitment moving forward, but I'm not discounting the potential for Georgia, Texas A&M, or USC to come in and make things interesting. Owens' initial timeline of committing at the All-American Bowl could be moved up to before his senior season if everything goes to plan, but first up will be knocking out a few official visits this spring and summer.

- West Orange-Stark (Texas) 2023 athlete Jamaal Shaw said he almost cried on the phone earlier this week when Bo Davis extended him an offer to his dream school. The younger brother of former 2015 commit Johnny Shaw projects as a defensive back at the next level with versatility around the secondary. Shaw is going to take his time with the process and will probably aim towards a summer decision, but Texas has a sizeable lead moving forward. As long as he progresses on the level he has been over the last few months, this is one I could easily see Texas grabbing. Shaw was playing with FAST Houston's elite team this week.

- Katy (Texas) Mayde Creek 2023 cornerback TayShawn Wilson has slowed down his recruiting process a bit and is taking his time ahead of a busy offseason. This is shaping up to be a hotly-contested battle between Baylor and Texas, but with only nine offers to his name at this point, it's realistic to see other schools come in the picture. He plans on getting back to Texas once visits open back up in March to see Blake Gideon and the rest of the staff, where he says the energy is always great when he visits. Wilson was playing with Texas All-Stars this week alongside Rueben Owens.

- Baton Rouge (La.) 2023 four-star cornerback Jordan Matthews has taken three trips to Texas already during his recruitment where he said the technology, family atmosphere, and the size of the campus stood out. Matthews is prepping a top ten list that he says will include Texas, and it's safe to say that the Longhorns will be among the top contenders on that list along with Texas A&M and LSU. While the Tigers haven't re-offered yet, that re-offer is expected to come soon. The Aggies have made a strong impression as well under defensive backs coach TJ Rushing. Matthews was in action this weekend with F3 Elite.

- La Grange (Texas) four-star athlete Bravion Rogers was recently offered by Alabama, and it was a big one for the two-way star who has been in communication with Nick Saban pretty consistently since. TCU and Baylor are the two in-state schools that I see doing the best job recruiting Rogers as of now, but the interest in Texas is still there. There's a lot to unravel before he comes to a decision so getting Rogers back to Austin will be key moving forward.

- Del Valle (Texas) four-star wide receiver Braylon James says Texas is "in the process of re-entering the picture" in his recruitment under Brennan Marion. The communication has picked up dramatically with the local phenom, but it will take more work to catch Stanford and Notre Dame. Both of the out-of-state academic powerhouses have a long-standing relationship with James and offer a solid opportunity for him. What will be big for Texas moving forward is getting him back on campus as much as possible, including for an official visit, as well as who jumps in the Texas class early on.

- Willis (Texas) 2024 quarterback DJ Lagway has had a big offseason so far playing for FAST Houston while adding offers such as Alabama and Penn State. Lagway took a visit to Texas last June and is looking forward to returning in the spring as communication with AJ Milwee has increased. Lagway explained his relationship with Milwee has "one of the best coach relationships" he has because he's known him the longest. The intrigue is definitely there on Lagway's side, but Texas would need to enter the race in the coming months as major programs get heavily involved.

- Temple (Texas) 2023 four-star athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot has been in communication with Steve Sarkisian, Blake Gideon, and Brennan Marion more recently as Texas tries to re-enter the picture there as well. He came in on a visit recently with Braylon James and newly-offered 2023 running back Cameron Cook, but out-of-state schools such as USC, Stanford, and California have made a bigger impact at this point along with TCU and Houston.

- Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower four-star athlete Ryan Niblett said he didn't know why he didn't include Texas in his initial top schools list, but he emphasized that Texas is still very much in the race. He talks to Brennan Marion and Steve Sarkisian consistently and is looking forward to getting to Austin for the first time on a visit this spring. Alabama is a program that's made probably the biggest early impact as Nick Saban has played a huge role in this one so far.

- Duncanville (Texas) 2024 safety Ka'Davion Dotson landed a big offer from Texas last month at Junior Day and has the Longhorns high on his list moving forward. He's known Chris Gilbert since before he was in high school since he was initially in Lancaster ISD where Gilbert coached. That relationship will go a long ways towards Texas' chances with Dotson down the road.

- Alvin (Texas) Shadow Creek four-star 2024 safety Maurice Williams has been in contact with Blake Gideon and still holds intrigue in Texas despite not holding an offer yet. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Baylor are the early standouts for the No. 1 player in the state for the 2024 class.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Former OU commit

Reveal hidden contents

Texas left an impression

Alabama checks a key box

image.thumb.png.672f6fe7f12b9facd596dc7b1b3ea83f.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

LAS VEGAS – Talented 7v7 squads from the West Coast and as far east as South Florida made it to the desert to compete in the Battle stop this weekend. 

On3 was on hand covering the event and after speaking with numerous top recruits there. Here is some of the top buzz and recruiting intel.

Georgia leads for On300 WR from Florida
Robby Washington is focused on three schools: Georgia, Alabama and Florida State. The four-star receiver from Miami (Fla.) Killian is slated to return to Athens with his twin brother on March 18, when he anticipates Georgia will offer his brother.

Washington plans to commit this spring. Alabama‘s Holmon Wiggins is in daily communication and Ron Duggans has put the Seminoles in striking distance. However, Washington was favoring Miami because of Bryan McClendon. Now that he’s at Georiga, the champs might be in the best spot of the three favorites.

On300 WR Brown has four spring visits set
Jalen Brown, the nation’s No. 4 wide receiver, plans to see Florida State, LSU, Texas and Oregon before April.

While the Seminoles are first on deck, his recruitment remains wide-open. He’s close with new LSU wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton, his primary recruiter at Georgia. The same goes for new Texas receivers coach Brennan Marion, who was at Pitt. Maron and Steve Sarkisian have made a substantial impact on Brown’s father, who has family in Austin and around Houston.

Additionally, Oregon is in play. Kenny Dillingham is part of what links Brown to the Seminoles. Like many recruits in this class, Brown loved watching the Ducks growing up. He’s slated to visit Eugene in March.

RPM+ pick for the Trojans
On300 wide receiver DeAndre Moore Jr. is down to five with Louisville, Texas, Alabama, Oregon and USC in line for official visits.

Lincoln Riley compelled him to commit at Oklahoma and the same pieces are now in place in his backyard. As the four-star receiver put it: “SC is home. They’re in my backyard, so it’s a no-brainer.”

My RPM+ pick is on the Trojans. However…

Don’t discount Oregon. Kenny Dillingham has been Moore’s right-hand man since his eighth-grade year. Alabama is Alabama, and the Tide hasn’t missed a beat since. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks handed Moore his Alabama offer; they’ve re-emerged in the race and are here to stay. Louisville, too, has a lot of momentum on the West Coast.

On300 WR Cook could commit in June?
Johntay Cook and his family recently agreed upon his mother’s birthday, June 15, as a target date for a commitment.

Though it’s not etched in stone, Cook is comfortable with the idea of making a decision by then. He’s slated to visit LSU out of the dead period on March 5. He’s also eyeing spring practice stops at Ohio State and Michigan. Depending on how those visits go, he’ll likely set one of those Big Ten teams up for an official visit in the fall.

Both in-state powerhouses are squarely in the mix. He’s forged really strong bonds with both head coaches. Jimbo Fisher is making the country’s No. 56 overall player on the On3 Consensus a “priority.” Steve Sarkisian, however, might be the head coach hitting the right chords at the moment as the Longhorns seek an early pledge from the DeSoto (Tex.) star.

Oklahoma in play for On300 WR Kasper
Even after dropping a top 10, On300 wide receiver Kyler Kasper is still intrigued by Oklahoma and there’s a feeling there’s a long road ahead in this recruitment. That begins this spring as Kasper is now shuffling the calendar to squeeze in a visit to Norman along with Tennessee, Georgia and Ohio State.

Kasper also mentioned Georgia is “definitely” getting an official visit – partly because of the success of Brock Bowers during a title run and also Todd Monken’s persistence. Iowa and Oregon are also strong contenders.

Inside five-star LB Hill’s top six
Five-star Denton (Tex.) Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill sported USC gloves during championship Sunday. The familiar coaches from Oklahoma now in place on the West Coast have grabbed Hill’s attention. As have several others.

Sarkisian has taken a vested interest in Hill’s recruitment and the addition of Tashard Choice to the Longhorns’ staff shouldn’t be taken lightly. Hill is growing more and more comfortable in College Station after returning in January.

Miami was a late entry into the final six, but Mario Cristobal called Hill the day prior to bridge the gap and crack the list. Cristobal and Hill’s father are both from South Florida and a visit is in the works. The five-star is also eyeing his first visit to Alabama on A-Day this spring.

Two-team race for On300 WR?
Big-play threat Ja’Kobi Lane maintains his recruitment is still open, but there’s a sense that the On300 receiver from Arizona could be moving closer toward a decision.

Oregon and Arizona State are in great spots with the four-star from Mesa (Ariz.) Red Mountain. New receivers coach Bobby Wade quickly picked up where Prentice Gill left off with the 6-foot-4, 180-pounder. Junior Adams is also becoming a buzzy name with West Coast recruits.

Lane’s first visit out of the dead period will be to Eugene on March 4.

New RPM+ pick for Longhorns
Four-star Lucas (Tex.) Lovejoy wide receiver Kyle Parker has seen his recruitment take off coming off a stellar junior season. It caught the attention of several schools, including Texas, Arkansas, Louisville and Penn State.

Parker has a return visit to Louisville slated for March 4 and Texas on March 26. He’s also trying to squeeze in visits to Happy Valley and back to Arkansas in March.

Michigan and Oregon are also pushing for visits.

I entered an RPM+ pick for Parker to stick in-state. The addition of Brennan Marrion, who delivered his first offer from Pitt, looms extremely large.

Two teams after committed On300 DB
Justyn Rhett is one of the foundational pieces of Marcus Freeman’s talented 2023 class for the Irish. His commitment remains intact, but the coaching carousel opened up lanes for coaches to continue to court the On300 cornerback.

Oregon and Georgia remain in pursuit. Dan Lanning recruited Rhett while with the Bulldogs and has yet to relent.

The same goes for Georgia. New defensive backs coach Fran Brown has a family connection to Rhett. The Bulldogs are positioned to get a visit this spring and likely an official visit. Notre Dame remains in a strong spot, though.

Early favorite for On300 CB?
Braxton Myers has seen his recruitment take off after another strong season in the Dallas Metroplex. It’s yielded overtures from Clemson, USC and LSU, among others.

Myers is coming off a return trip to Clemson and Mike Reed hasn’t taken his foot off the gas. My early RPM+ pick is on the Tigers with Reed actively pursuing the On300 cornerback.

The four-star from Coppell (Tex.) will be at Florida State on March 4 and is also eyeing a visit to Baton Rouge and USC this spring. Lincoln Riley and Alex Grinch offered Myers before heading West and are actively working to get the corner on campus — likely in April for spring practice.

Four-star RB Gage eyeing five visits
Four-star 2024 Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy running back Stacy Gage boasts 40-plus offers, but four schools are at the forefront early on. That’s Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma. Gage has quickly bonded with the Sooners’ DeMarco Murray, which is a connection to watch.

Gage is eyeing visits back to each of those schools — along with Florida — which is quickly playing catchup with the standout in-state back.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not based on anything other than a hunch, but I have the feeling that, with Texas to sell, Brennen Marrion is about to become the Bo Davis of Wide Receivers. I really think that Sark his a home run on this hire.  This will be augmented on a scale of to the moon if Ewers comes in and lights it up for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Four-star Lucas (Tex.) Lovejoy wide receiver Kyle Parker has seen his recruitment take off coming off a stellar junior season. It caught the attention of several schools, including Texas, Arkansas, Louisville and Penn State.

Parker has a return visit to Louisville slated for March 4 and Texas on March 26. He’s also trying to squeeze in visits to Happy Valley and back to Arkansas in March.

Michigan and Oregon are also pushing for visits.

I entered an RPM+ pick for Parker to stick in-state. The addition of Brennan Marrion, who delivered his first offer from Pitt, looms extremely large.

200 Meters
  24.06 Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
  23.04PR Apr 1 UIL 5A District 10 V P
Long Jump
11    17' 8.5PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
Triple Jump
10    34' 11PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational

1 F

Roach: Stampede

Spoiler

7-on-7 season gives us a chance to get outside of the state lines and see some talent Texas is recruiting in other parts of the country. Las Vegas is always a great destination because of the large groups of west coast prospects who visit Sin City for February’s annual tournaments.

Horns247 was on location in Las Vegas over the weekend for Battle’s 7v7 tournament at All-American Park. The event hosted many of the top teams out west and a few from places like Texas, Florida and Pennsylvania.

During that time, Horns247 caught up with every major target in attendance to see where things stand with the Longhorns before we head into the spring. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we unload the notebook on prospects we saw over the weekend plus a few who weren’t in attendance that we spoke with.

—I mentioned over the weekend that I feel Texas is a legitimate contender for four-star Los Alamitos (Calif.) wide receiver Deandre Moore. Moore’s electric route running and ball-winning ability were on full display as he played both ways over the weekend. In talking to Moore, you can tell that the work Brennan Marion did at Pitt with Jordan Addison really caught his attention. Moore also visited Austin last summer and said he fell in love with the city as it reminded him a lot of LA. Moore originally committed to Oklahoma with teammates Malachi Nelson and Makai Lemon. Both of those players are now committed to Lincoln Riley at USC, and while the Trojans will be big contenders, it shouldn’t be considered automatic. For one, Moore transferred to Los Alamitos last year and while he is friends with Nelson and Lemon, he wants to do his own thing and make sure the decision is for him. Moore has a twin sister who plans to enroll wherever he chooses to be with him. If you want to win Moore over, you’ll have to impress his sister. Moore feels the offense Texas uses is perfect for a player with his skillset and he said that the relationships with Texas have been big. Jeff Banks has been recruiting Moore since he was a freshman and he’s enjoying learning about Marion and seeing his energy. He also mentioned how relatable Marion is citing the fact that he listens to one of his favorite artists NBA Youngboy. Moore mentioned some drills Marion put up on Instagram last week and said he likes what he’s seen of his coaching. Moore is close with Maalik Murphy and Larry Turner-Gooden and he’s talked to Turner-Gooden over the past few weeks. Moore wants to return for an official visit and says he’s sure Texas will get one unless something drastically changes. Aside from USC and Texas, Louisville, Alabama and Oregon are the schools he feels will get an official visit. Since Moore made an early commitment already, he wants to make sure he takes his time with his next decision.

—Five-star Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep wide receiver Jalen Brown is still wide open, and he’s planning a visit to Texas this spring. Brown is one of the most explosive players in the nation with length and elite speed. Texas offered last year, but the recruitment went hot and cold through Andre Coleman. Brennan Marion engaged immediately after arriving at Texas and the two had a relationship going back to Marion’s time at Pitt when he worked Brown out during a satellite camp on Florida International’s campus. Brown who is built and runs like former Heisman Trophy winner Devonta Smith said he likes Texas because he feels he can fit that type of role in Steve Sarkisian’s offense. Miami, Florida State, Texas A&M, LSU and Oklahoma.

Brown’s visit schedule is going to be up and down because of track and 7v7. He says he will commit whenever the time is right but take his visits regardless. Brown wants to take fall visits to get a feel for the gameday atmosphere on campuses along with the campus life. Brown is a great student and finding a place with a good education is a plus for him. Texas could have a great advantage in that department if the visit goes well. I also spoke with Brown’s dad who told me they are excited about Texas and are ready to make a visit happen this spring or summer before possibly returning in the fall for an official. Texas had some work to do because they were behind, but I feel they could become legitimate contenders if the visit goes well.

—Texas has been mentioned most for four-star Desoto wide receiver Johntay Cook. Though Cook has talked up other schools lately, the Longhorns are still right in the thick of things. There are quite a few links to Cook on the Texas staff including Chris Gilbert who grew up with his father. The Longhorns have also done a fantastic job of winning Cook’s mother over which is a big key. When the family went on one of their many visits to Austin, Steve Sarkisian sat down with Cook’s mom and impressed her with how genuine he was. That conversation left an impression and has her feeling comfortable about Texas. I’d still say that Texas sits in the top position, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a fight for him. Cook is set to visit LSU next month while Texas A&M has been coming on strong thanks to the involvement of Jimbo Fisher and Dameyune Craig who Cook has a great relationship with. He’s also planning visits to Ohio State, Michigan and Ohio State. Cook said he’s a maybe for the Texas spring game, but I’d expect him to make the trip. Multiple sources I spoke to feel good about where things are with Texas, but this will play out over a long period of time.

—I’m getting closer to putting a Texas Crystal Ball in for Lovejoy wide receiver Kyle Parker. The Longhorns seem to be hitting all the right notes for the speedy receiver, but Louisville and Arkansas are also in the picture. Parker said he plans to visit Penn State in the spring as well but is set to return to Austin during spring for practice or the spring game. There’s not much more to expand on, but Parker said he has no timetable for a decision or plans for official visits as of yet. Parker did say that Texas would get one of his official visits and I really like where Texas sits right now.

Anthony Hill recently dropped a Top 6 and there won’t be another cut before his decision. Hill said he has a great relationship with the Texas staff and he’s now focusing on getting more detail about his fit in the program and the overall scheme. Steve Sarkisian is running this recruitment himself, and Chris Gilbert is also heavily involved. Jeff Choate also speaks to Hill weekly about the potential fit. Hill has a few friends on the roster in Ja’Tavion Sanders and Austin Jordan who have been reaching out to Hill regularly. Hill visited Austin in December and will for sure be at the Texas spring game. He’s planning to take his official visits in the spring and summer and is graduating early. With six schools in his top group, Hill said he will take visits to each though one would have to be an unofficial visit that he treats as an official type visit. That sixth visit would probably be one of the local schools since he can get there easily. I think Texas did a great job building this relationship when the staff took over, but I think they have more work to do. Hill is pretty wide open, but I think Texas A&M is the school to watch at this point. Oklahoma should also be considered a pretty big contender with Brent Venables leading the way and the entire staff engaged in the recruitment. Hill speaks regularly with the other top recruits in his class about the possibility of playing together at the next level.

—Coppell defensive back Braxton Myers recently cut his list to 12 and said he speaks to Blake Gideon often. Myers is planning trips for the spring currently, and while he doesn’t have anything locked in yet, Myers said he’s going to make a trip to Austin for sure. Florida State, USC, Ole Miss and Michigan are other schools set to receive an official visit. Texas is pitching him as a versatile player who can line up at safety or corner, and Myers has never been to Austin for a visit. He’s excited to see the campus and new facilities at Texas, and he’s planning to cut his list again in April. Myers said he’s big on relationships, but he also wants to go somewhere with a scheme that fits and the opportunity to play early. As of now, I think Myers is looking to leave the state, but that could change with a good visit.

—Four-star Miami (Fla.) Killian athlete Robby Washington was offered by Texas recently and put on a show at wide receiver this weekend. I spoke to Washington who said he’s enjoyed speaking with Tashard Choice and getting to know him, but I’d be surprised if Texas becomes a player in this recruitment. Right now, it sounds like Georgia, Alabama and Florida State are the schools standing out most.

—Notre Dame commit Peyton Bowen said that he’s still firmly committed to the Irish, but he is looking at taking a few unofficial visits. Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas A&M are schools he mentioned as programs that he might see this spring. I asked Bowen about Texas and he said that Blake Gideon is in contact often. Bowen is still on the fence about whether he’d visit Texas or not. He does like that the school is close to home, but the season results and a few other factors have Texas trailing big time for one of the best defensive players in the state. I think Texas could change that narrative if they get him to campus, but we will see If they can do that.

—I spoke with Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra cornerback Rodrick Pleasant who said Texas has been turning up the heat lately. Pleasant told me a few weeks ago that he hadn’t heard much from Texas, but that’s changed. Pleasant wants to get out to Texas and see everything for himself along with good friend Maalik Murphy

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I know this is a far out dream but any interest from Richard young? I saw he’s visiting the scum to the north, but that he is also watching Arch closely and might want to play together. Guessing we would need arch first before any “interest”/visits.

He's a SoFla guy with a top three of Bama, Clemson, Ohio State. So, you know, draw your own conclusions about how much effort we should be using on that recruitment.

Texas standing out for elite wide receiver Deandre Moore

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Texas standing out for elite wide receiver Deandre Moore

Mike Roach

LAS VEGAS — Deandre Moore is back on the market after decommitting from Oklahoma in the winter.

The four-star wide receiver from Los Alamitos (Calif.) is one of the best in the country with 22 offers to his credit. Texas has been pushing Moore hard since he opened his recruitment, and he has a relationship going back with the staff for a few years.

“I’ve known them it seems like forever,” Moore said. “Texas was one of the few schools that offered me my first few offers in eighth grade. I’ve had a good relationship with coach Jeff Banks and coach Sark and it’s been growing. Once I committed to Oklahoma they backed off a little bit, but they’ve always had that good communication and good relationship. Now that I’m open again, it’s great. I took a visit last summer to Austin and loved it. The coaching staff was great. We just meshed really well and now they have the new wide receiver coach. He just had the Biletnikoff winner, so it’s really attractive to me.”

Brennan Marion is now involved as well. The new Texas wide receivers coach speaks the kid’s language and Moore feels he can relate to him.

“He’s a player’s coach,” he said. “I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s like an older brother but he’s someone you can relate to. He’s cool. He listens to NBA Youngboy. Not too many coaches listen to him, so he’s a really cool coach and a really cool guy.”

Recently, Marion posted some offseason workout drills on social media. Moore said he feels those drills translate well to the field.

“Look what he did at Pitt,” he said. “It definitely translates. He had the best receiver in all of college football, so it’s definitely something that’s really attractive to me.”

Moore is close with Maalik Murphy and Larry Turner-Gooden. He recently talked to Turner-Gooden about the Texas experience.

“I talked to Larry Turner-Gooden,” he said. “Me and Larry are really close. We’ve been playing together since we were young. I told him I’ll be coming up for a visit this summer, so let’s get it going.”

Turner-Gooden also told Moore about life in Austin, but Moore said he saw for himself what Austin has to offer.

“It’s great,” he said. “He doesn’t really have to tell me anything, I’ve been there myself. Austin is fantastic. He’s just telling me I’ll love it and I’ll have to get back up there.”

Moore doesn’t have any official list of top schools, but a few are emerging as favorites. When asked which schools could get officials, he named five off the top of his head.

“As of right this second, and anything can change because college football is ridiculous,” he said. “Louisville, Alabama, USC, Oregon and Texas,”

Moore’s first commitment was made somewhat early, so he wants to focus on taking his time with the second.

“I feel like my first commitment, I don’t want to say I rushed it because that’s something I wanted to do with my life,” Moore said. “But, I did it pretty early. Everybody’s moving. There’s a lot of moving parts so I want to take my time and see where this goes.”

Schools will have to win over Moore’s entire family to get him. His twin sister plans to go with him wherever he ends up.

“Somewhere I feel at home,” Moore said. “It’s not just me going. I have a twin sister as well. Wherever I go, she’ll be living with me. She has to love it. We are twins and we are inseparable. Somewhere that will develop me to get to the next level. I want to study anime. I’m a real anime geek, so I need somewhere that will develop me after football. I also want to be a therapist.”

NIL is now an important component to the recruiting process, and Moore said a few schools impressed with their NIL presentations.

“Louisville,” he said. “That’s one of the biggest reasons Louisville is so attractive to me. I know Texas has their own network and their NIL pitch is ridiculous. Larry Turner told me a little bit about it, but it’s really crazy. Texas and Louisville are for sure at the top with NIL. With USC you’re in LA which is a really big market.”

At 6-feet, 185 pounds, Moore is ranked as the No. 10 wide receiver in the country and No. 6 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Kyle Parker
200 Meters
  24.06 Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
  23.04PR Apr 1 UIL 5A District 10 V P
Long Jump
11    17' 8.5PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
Triple Jump
10    34' 11PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational

1 F

That is rather slow and unexplosive for a WR.  I hope he is a good route runner?

Edited by BigDSteve
Added Kyle Parker’s name to be clear

(Dawgs 247)

Hot board: Early candidates in Georgia’s offensive line coaching search

Jordan D Hill

Spoiler

Hot board: Early candidates in Georgia’s offensive line coaching search

Jordan D Hill

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart is once again looking to make a new hire to his coaching staff.

Monday’s news that offensive line coach Matt Luke will resign after two seasons means another coaching position has opened up on the Bulldogs’ 2022 staff. Georgia has already hired three on-the-field assistants — wide receivers coach Bryan McClendon, outside linebackers coach Chidera Uzo-Diribe and defensive backs coach Fran Brown — while also adding off-the-field analysts such as Mike Bobo and Kirk Benedict. 

The Bulldogs’ wealth of talent at offensive line and status as the defending national champions should garner plenty of interest in the opening, though Luke’s resignation a little less than a month before spring practice might complicate things. 

Here’s Dawgs247’s initial list of names to watch:

Stacy Searels (North Carolina): Georgia’s offseason has seen Smart bring in several coaches with previous stints in Athens, which would again be the case if Searels was the hire. 

A former All-American lineman at Auburn, Searels has 30 years of coaching experience under his belt, including serving as Georgia’s offensive line coach/run game coordinator from 2007-10.  

During Searels’ time in Athens, the Bulldogs ranked in the top 25 nationally in fewest sacks allowed three times, including an SEC-best 12 in 2009. According to 247Sports, Searels was credited as the primary recruiter for Georgia standouts such as Kolton Houston, Ben Jones and Christian Robinson.

Searels has spent the past three seasons at North Carolina with Mack Brown, who Searels coached with at Texas from 2011-13. He’s also had stints at Appalachian State, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech and Miami (FL) and won a national championship at LSU in 2003.

Nick Jones (Los Angeles Rams): Georgia could turn to an alum to fill the position vacated by Luke.

Jones was a four-year letterman at Georgia from 2003-06, where he was named second-team All-SEC at center, was elected co-captain in 2006 and earned offensive MVP and the Coaches Leadership Award for the Bulldogs as a senior. He played for the Seattle Seahawks for three years before returning to Georgia as a graduate assistant in 2010.

Jones joined the staff at Coastal Carolina in 2012 and stayed there for seven seasons. He also coached at Air Force and Colorado State before spending the 2020 season as an Diversity Coaching Fellow working with the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive line. 

Jones has spent the past two years with the Rams and had the role of offensive assistant with the 2021 Super Bowl champion team.

Cody Kennedy (Arkansas): Kennedy is another coach with Georgia ties thanks to serving as a graduate assistant with the Bulldogs in 2018 following stints at West Alabama, West Georgia and UNC Pembroke. 

After one year at Georgia, Kennedy spent two seasons as the offensive line coach at Tulane and was set to take the same role at Southern Miss in 2021 before Arkansas came calling. He was initially hired as the Razorbacks’ tight ends coach before being re-assigned to the offensive line.

Arkansas’ 2021 offensive line set the stage for an offense that had an SEC-best 228 rushing yards per game. The biggest question is how strong Kennedy’s ties are to Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman, who Kennedy coached with at Georgia four years ago.

Will Friend (Auburn): Friend is another candidate who has plenty of ties to Georgia as well as the current staff.

A former offensive lineman at Alabama, Friend was a graduate assistant at Georgia in 2003-04 before coming back as the Bulldogs’ offensive line coach from 2011-14. Friend’s second stint at Athens meant he was on the same staff as then-offensive coordinator Mike Bobo and then-running backs coach Bryan McClendon, both of whom returned to Georgia this offseason. 

Friend left after the 2014 season to become the offensive coordinator at Colorado State under Bobo. Following three seasons at Colorado State, Friend spent three seasons as offensive line coach at Tennessee under head coach Jeremy Pruitt, Friend’s roommate at Alabama. 

Friend was briefly on staff at South Carolina in December 2020 before following Bobo to Auburn for the 2021 season.

Alex Atkins (Florida State): Atkins is an up-and-coming coach who added offensive coordinator duties to his role in December, prior to his third season with the Seminoles. 

Atkins has had to tweak his offensive lines a great deal in two years, as the Seminoles have had 14 different starting combinations in 21 games. Still, Atkins’ lines have set the stage for 10 games with at least 200 rushing yards while featuring two All-ACC performers and two Freshman All-Americans. 

Atkins came to Florida State from Charlotte, where he spent the 2019 season as offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. He has prior coaching stops at Tulane, Georgia Southern, Chattanooga, Marshall and UT-Martin.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's so weird how many kids are obsessed with 7v7 when coaches say over and over again they want to see full-pads football and track times. I guess it's fun to play, but it just seems like overhyped practice shit.

Money for handlers