Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but just saw on 247 that his dad played DE at UT. This does not seem like a recruitment we should lose..

Oh buddy, did you think this board was going to miss any detail about a Westlake player + Texas legacy that we didn't immediately offer his freshman year?

• Haha 5

Show me "America's most underwhelming college towns" for $200
Thats why those schools basically build their version of CFB Disneyworld and keep them locked inside for most of the visit. I mean Orlando outside of a couple areas is a shithole...not Collie Station or Waco level, but still.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but just saw on 247 that his dad played DE at UT. This does not seem like a recruitment we should lose..

He’s likely a take but there have been guys higher on the board for a while and he doesn’t have the upside of some of the other edge guys we are after. He did pick up fake Georgia and Bama offers though so maybe we should push for the big H2H win.

Per IT

***Atascocita 2023 DL Samu Taumanupepe (6-3.5, 375'ish) made an unofficial visit to Texas on Tuesday. To answer the question, yes Texas would take Samu from what IT was told late Tuesday night.

***Look for Texas to get serious about West Orange-Stark S/N Jamaal Shaw. The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder was offered by the Longhorns February 16. Since that time, the Texas defensive staff has watched even more of Shaw and are expected to push to get him on campus in March. Per a source at WOS, Texas would like to get Shaw on campus March 12 or 26th. Shaw will be at Houston Sunday. TCU is the latest offer.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

***Atascocita 2023 DL Samu Taumanupepe (6-3.5, 375'ish) made an unofficial visit to Texas on Tuesday. To answer the question, yes Texas would take Samu from what IT was told late Tuesday night.

This is going to turn out to be a great early eval by the staff. Kid is down from 430 pounds just a year ago and moves extremely well.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per IT

***Look for Texas to get serious about West Orange-Stark S/N Jamaal Shaw. The 6-foot-1, 185-pounder was offered by the Longhorns February 16. Since that time, the Texas defensive staff has watched even more of Shaw and are expected to push to get him on campus in March. Per a source at WOS, Texas would like to get Shaw on campus March 12 or 26th. Shaw will be at Houston Sunday. TCU is the latest offer.

Damn, what are they feeding the kids today. 

Roach

Spoiler

— I spoke with the father of five-star Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown. Texas has been increasing contact since Brennan Marion arrived in Austin, and they've been trying to plan a visit to Austin. That trip could come as soon as next week. Brown's father told me they are considering a visit as soon as Monday. They've got family in the Austin area and are interested in getting eyes on Texas. I've commented multiple times that Texas could possibly make a move in this recruitment as Brown likes the possibilities of playing in Steve Sarkisian's offense and is looking for a strong academic fit. We will keep you posted on if the visit comes together.

— I spoke to Humble (Texas) Atascocita defensive tackle Samu Taumanupepe earlier today. The big nose tackle visited Austin yesterday and is developing a strong relationship with Bo Davis. Taumanupepe is a massive prospect listed at 6-foot-3, 380 pounds. While the defensive line picture isn't incredibly clear, it looks like the Longhorns are serious about adding that kind of size inside. Taumanupepe is set to visit Houston on Saturday. I spoke to a source near Taumanupepe who thinks he will likely play the process out but didn't rule out an early commitment. Taumanupepe is planning to take summer official visits and doesn't yet have a timeline for his commitment.

— I spoke to the father of Wylie (Texas) East defensive lineman and Texas A&M commit Anthony James. Despite being a long time Aggie commit, Bo Davis and the staff have remained in pursuit. James will make a visit to Austin this weekend as Texas has been pushing hard as of late. James visited on several occasions last year but remains firmly committed to Texas A&M. Texas will try to continue chipping away.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is going to turn out to be a great early eval by the staff. Kid is down from 430 pounds just a year ago and moves extremely well.
430 lbs and can move is dangerous at the high school level.

Hell thats dangerous for RB's, QB's and even O-line at any level...but I'm here for it if he's a mobile and reasonably quick 370-380 lbs.

7 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m going to just say that ain’t going to work.  That’s just to large at any age to do anything athletic.  Those joints aren’t going to hold up and no way is going to have stamina to play consistently.  Give me shit if I’m wrong in 3-4 years.

20 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

I’m going to just say that ain’t going to work.  That’s just to large at any age to do anything athletic.  Those joints aren’t going to hold up and no way is going to have stamina to play consistently.  Give me shit if I’m wrong in 3-4 years.

would you say to not forget about dre

Edited by ATexanAbroad

48 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

If he can get down to 350ish pounds, there have been quite a few very good athletes at that weight level.  We've had a few of them here.