Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On3 - Arch Manning's dad sounds off on NIL, changes in college football

Spoiler

The recruitment of Arch Manning will likely go down as the most-followed in the internet recruiting era.

Fans of his top schools await his eventual decision on pins and needles, and where he commits will almost certainly have a massive domino effect on the 2023 recruiting class. He ranks as the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus. And he is the most ballyhooed high school quarterback in some time.

But the Manning family — arguably the most famous football lineage ever — has taken a largely conservative approach to Arch’s recruitment. Arch himself only does a handful of interviews. The rest is handled through his high school coach. He isn’t public on social media with his offers or interests, and they’ve played it all very close to the vest. And that has been nothing if not intentional. Arch’s dad, Cooper, talked to ESPN’s Chris Fowler on his podcast about how the recruiting process has changed since he was in high school — and even just in the past few months.

“The whole game of college football seems to have changed in the past three to four months,” Cooper Manning said in the podcast. “With the coaches moving around a lot more freely, the element of these big signing bonuses for classes and everything. No one sits around and says, ‘I’m going to be a backup and work for it for two to three years.’ It’s onto the next thing.'”

” …. (With Arch) we’re trying to do things like they used to be done, back 15 years ago. Just go pick a school you like, coaches you like, a place you think you’d be happy if you weren’t playing football. Get a good education, make friends and try your best. I know it sounds kind of simple and howdy doody. But I think sometimes people get a little ahead of themselves. These are 18-year-old boys you’re trying to turn into men. And I think whoever can do that the best is probably going to get the guy.”

4 schools have remained constant for Arch Manning
Four schools have been part of Manning’s recruitment from the beginning: Ole Miss, Texas, Alabama and Georgia. Clemson was once in the mix but is now considered to be on the outside looking in. Other programs like LSU, Oklahoma, and Florida are all on the periphery, with the Tigers are hoping to get a visit in March. The On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine gives Alabama a slight edge over the other schools with a 30.1% chance to land Manning. Georgia (24.9%), Texas (19.6%) and Ole Miss (12.6%) trail behind.

Cooper Manning was also asked if there is any pressure for Arch to choose Ole Miss, which is his alma mater, as well as where Eli and their father Archie starred as quarterbacks.

“I’m trying to raise children that are going to make the best decision for themselves,” Manning said. “I don’t know where he’s going, and I don’t really care. I want him to make a decision, and he’ll live with it. It’s not going to be easy. … He’ll figure it out. He’ll do the due diligence. We’re just trying to guide him along in the process and cheer for him. And we’ll pick him up if things don’t go right.”

30 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

On3 - Arch Manning's dad sounds off on NIL, changes in college football

Reveal hidden contents

The recruitment of Arch Manning will likely go down as the most-followed in the internet recruiting era.

Fans of his top schools await his eventual decision on pins and needles, and where he commits will almost certainly have a massive domino effect on the 2023 recruiting class. He ranks as the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus. And he is the most ballyhooed high school quarterback in some time.

But the Manning family — arguably the most famous football lineage ever — has taken a largely conservative approach to Arch’s recruitment. Arch himself only does a handful of interviews. The rest is handled through his high school coach. He isn’t public on social media with his offers or interests, and they’ve played it all very close to the vest. And that has been nothing if not intentional. Arch’s dad, Cooper, talked to ESPN’s Chris Fowler on his podcast about how the recruiting process has changed since he was in high school — and even just in the past few months.

“The whole game of college football seems to have changed in the past three to four months,” Cooper Manning said in the podcast. “With the coaches moving around a lot more freely, the element of these big signing bonuses for classes and everything. No one sits around and says, ‘I’m going to be a backup and work for it for two to three years.’ It’s onto the next thing.'”

” …. (With Arch) we’re trying to do things like they used to be done, back 15 years ago. Just go pick a school you like, coaches you like, a place you think you’d be happy if you weren’t playing football. Get a good education, make friends and try your best. I know it sounds kind of simple and howdy doody. But I think sometimes people get a little ahead of themselves. These are 18-year-old boys you’re trying to turn into men. And I think whoever can do that the best is probably going to get the guy.”

4 schools have remained constant for Arch Manning
Four schools have been part of Manning’s recruitment from the beginning: Ole Miss, Texas, Alabama and Georgia. Clemson was once in the mix but is now considered to be on the outside looking in. Other programs like LSU, Oklahoma, and Florida are all on the periphery, with the Tigers are hoping to get a visit in March. The On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine gives Alabama a slight edge over the other schools with a 30.1% chance to land Manning. Georgia (24.9%), Texas (19.6%) and Ole Miss (12.6%) trail behind.

Cooper Manning was also asked if there is any pressure for Arch to choose Ole Miss, which is his alma mater, as well as where Eli and their father Archie starred as quarterbacks.

“I’m trying to raise children that are going to make the best decision for themselves,” Manning said. “I don’t know where he’s going, and I don’t really care. I want him to make a decision, and he’ll live with it. It’s not going to be easy. … He’ll figure it out. He’ll do the due diligence. We’re just trying to guide him along in the process and cheer for him. And we’ll pick him up if things don’t go right.”

Interesting.

My list has the same schools,   just in opposite order. 

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Went out with hot Chinese gal yesterday. Undergrad in China and grad school at Michigan. Knew more about college football than any chick I've dated. I started talking about Quinn and she brought up Arch Manning. My takeaway from this is Arch to Texas.

The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

do you have a photograph of this broad?

9 hours ago, victory88 said:

If our coaches and alum are smart, they show Reuben the money Bijan is making and the life Bijan is living.  If you follow him on Instagram, the dude is hanging out with celebrities and artists every other weekend.  He’s basically living the life every high school 16 year old wants.  They have to sell the long term NiL “bag”.  We can win this recruitment but we’ll need a few things to go our way.  

1.  Bijan needs to have another big year and get drafted.  Sark has shown he can highlight talent.  Our offense is attractive to RBs.

2.  Sell the SEC and tell him we’ll be joining the league his freshman year and Texas is going to have a lot of eyeballs as every team is going to make us their prime time game.  We’re Texas bitch.

3.  Show him how much Quinn Ewers and Bijan are making.  Elite talent will get paid.  The rumored 5 mil NiL deal for Ewers dwarfs the million dollars or so aggy used to buy Walter Nolen.

Sark has to be ruthless.  The recruiting game has changed.  The rules have changed.  If you’re not going to weaponize the resources we have to offer, then he should not be leading us into the sec to compete.  Lastly, get Arch and this recruitment tilts in our favor.

So….no more Mr. Nice Guy…..right?

IT on spring visits

Spoiler

Tonight Inside Texas caught wind of what we assume will be the next big visit day. That isn’t to say prospects won’t visit between now and then — of course they will — but this will be a larger, coordinated day.

Texas held one Elite Day in January, but it wasn’t necessarily comprised of elite prospects, or players who were considered elite at the time. No offense to them, there were a number of ballers in attendance and the staff dished out a surprising amount of offers.

This event seems to be more targeted to some of the players we’ve been considering priorities.

Three names we’ve heard who are expected to attend so far are:

Jonah Wilson, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney: Wilson was offered by wide receivers coach Brennan Marion while at Pittsburgh. After arriving in Austin and surveying UT’s options, Marion went right back after the smooth 6-foot-2.5, 200-pounder.

Kyle Parker, WR, Allen (Texas) Lucas Lovejoy: Not too long ago Parker was one of those under-the-radar recruits. A similar story to Wilson, Marion was on Parker quite early. Parker’s a slot receiver capable of creating YAC in limited space. @Gerry Hamilton says Parker will find himself comfortably inside the soon-to-be released On300 2023 rankings update.

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley: Burrell is one of those kids you can easily see landing at Texas, just because of how he’s wired. On the field, he’s athletic and physical, with a prototypical build for the modern game. He seems to be a big priority for the staff. I haven’t talked to Gerry about his rankings future, but I suspect he could see a move similar to Parker.

So, that’s a good start for that day and of course we’ll continue to add names.

I’ve mentioned momentum might be hard to come by in the early going. Not only is that still the case as we near March, it’s not necessarily a bad thing as the staff keeps its standards high and continues to evaluate and strengthen relationships with old and emerging targets. This spring will finally allow for a return to in-person evaluation for the staff, and in this cycle that’s going to be incredibly important as there appears to be a good amount of parity within position groups.

This staff’s priority list will continue to shuffle, but come April 2nd, we’ll have a clear idea of the top targets ahead of the May evaluation period.

Along with April 2nd, expect the spring game on April 23rd to serve as a recruiting event. I don’t think they scheduled it at night to not have some fun with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT on spring visits

Reveal hidden contents

Tonight Inside Texas caught wind of what we assume will be the next big visit day. That isn’t to say prospects won’t visit between now and then — of course they will — but this will be a larger, coordinated day.

Texas held one Elite Day in January, but it wasn’t necessarily comprised of elite prospects, or players who were considered elite at the time. No offense to them, there were a number of ballers in attendance and the staff dished out a surprising amount of offers.

This event seems to be more targeted to some of the players we’ve been considering priorities.

Three names we’ve heard who are expected to attend so far are:

Jonah Wilson, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney: Wilson was offered by wide receivers coach Brennan Marion while at Pittsburgh. After arriving in Austin and surveying UT’s options, Marion went right back after the smooth 6-foot-2.5, 200-pounder.

Kyle Parker, WR, Allen (Texas) Lucas Lovejoy: Not too long ago Parker was one of those under-the-radar recruits. A similar story to Wilson, Marion was on Parker quite early. Parker’s a slot receiver capable of creating YAC in limited space. @Gerry Hamilton says Parker will find himself comfortably inside the soon-to-be released On300 2023 rankings update.

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley: Burrell is one of those kids you can easily see landing at Texas, just because of how he’s wired. On the field, he’s athletic and physical, with a prototypical build for the modern game. He seems to be a big priority for the staff. I haven’t talked to Gerry about his rankings future, but I suspect he could see a move similar to Parker.

So, that’s a good start for that day and of course we’ll continue to add names.

I’ve mentioned momentum might be hard to come by in the early going. Not only is that still the case as we near March, it’s not necessarily a bad thing as the staff keeps its standards high and continues to evaluate and strengthen relationships with old and emerging targets. This spring will finally allow for a return to in-person evaluation for the staff, and in this cycle that’s going to be incredibly important as there appears to be a good amount of parity within position groups.

This staff’s priority list will continue to shuffle, but come April 2nd, we’ll have a clear idea of the top targets ahead of the May evaluation period.

Along with April 2nd, expect the spring game on April 23rd to serve as a recruiting event. I don’t think they scheduled it at night to not have some fun with it.

S'maje Burrell looks super:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13409582/6140cce3bd6bc9085cdb540b

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Always thought the proper spelling was "Reuben"...e before u

Also my dads favorite sandwich, had his first one at Katz deli in NYC

Is he done with it yet? That place has the biggest sandwiches I’ve ever seen. I ordered a Turkey Sandwich and I swear it had about two pounds of meat on a slice of bread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So was IT wrong about the big weekend being April 2, or is Arch gonna be elsewhere that weekend?
Wonder if we could text everyone back. "Ooops, did we say April 2? We meant March 24. Sorryyyy!!"
Maybe he wants to avoid all that and mostly just hang with coaches/current players?

I'm sure with that announcement we'll have more visitors on the 22nd.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So was IT wrong about the big weekend being April 2, or is Arch gonna be elsewhere that weekend?

Wonder if we could text everyone back. "Ooops, did we say April 2? We meant March 24. Sorryyyy!!"

i think the staff would prefer Arch to come on a small weekend. They are going to have 5-6 coaches noses up his ass the whole time, so having 20 other visitors make it tough. Last time Arch came Rueben got upset, because Arch was getting all the attention. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Arch and a few other notes from IT ( @Daichee Bellyou were right on Sewell. I'll take the L on that one)

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

The Latest on Arch Manning

- He has two more weeks in hoops. Then he’ll plan his March-April visit schedule. But, as we’ve mentioned in passing and Cedric Baxter told IT, Arch is supposed to visit Texas the weekend of March 24th.

- IT is fading Georgia and now watching Alabama more closely. Texas and Alabama are definitely getting visits. He wants to watch both practice. Texas starts spring ball on March 22nd so he’ll be able to see the team that Saturday.

- We’re not ruling out an additional spring visit to Austin, possibly as soon as early April.

- Arch wants to see schools before mid-May when Newman begins spring ball

- LSU is working to make in-roads with Brian Kelly and Joe Sloan, who was previously at Louisiana Tech and knows the state well. Florida is in it after Billy Napier stopped by. Ole Miss and Georgia are still in it. He hasn’t whittled down a list.

- Of the schools recruiting Arch, Texas, Alabama, and LSU are the three recruiting Arch’s teammate and friend, tight end Will Randle. Randle is expected to visit with Arch in less than a month.

- AJ Milwee called on Thursday to do his usual check-in. During the visit period, Milwee would go to New Orleans virtually every Thursday.

- The family is open to whatever Arch decides, they just want him to pick a school he’d like even if he didn’t play football. IT believes that helps UT’s cause.

A couple 2023 notes:

- Amarillo Tascosa’s Avion Carter is set to visit Texas on March 24th. It appears IT will need to keep two lists, one for that day, and one for April 2nd. Carter has had a quiet recruitment but he’s a person of interest we’re keeping a closer eye on. He showed improved traits on junior film.

- IT has been down on the staff’s chances to land highly rated Odessa Permain offensive lineman Harris Sewell, but we’re increasing optimism just a little bit. You’ll wonder if this has anything to do with Manning, and truth be told, we’re wondering the same and will investigate further. This will be a difficult recruitment to win but we‘d say UT is trending positively, at least somewhat.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

i think the staff would prefer Arch to come on a small weekend. They are going to have 5-6 coaches noses up his ass the whole time, so having 20 other visitors make it tough. Last time Arch came Rueben got upset, because Arch was getting all the attention. 

Good point

In which Roach doesn't even have enough info to say if Arch is visiting when IT says he will (Stampede)

Spoiler

March is coming and the dead period is soon to end. Texas is preparing to start hosting visitors once again. The Horns247 recruiting team was out and about this weekend at the Next Level Athlete camp in Dallas.

The camp held annually always provides a strong showing of prospects and we had the chance to connect with those targets and other sources to get the latest. Can Texas get back in the game with the state’s top-ranked player? Where do things stand with the little brother of a 2022 signee?

Are the Longhorns any closer to adding more offensive line talent to this program and who should Texas worry about most in the race for one of their top wide receiver targets? We’ll also talk about a big visit weekend coming in March with an update on where things currently stand with Arch Manning.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we drop a host of notes on 2023 and 2024 Texas targets.

— The recruitment of David Hicks hasn’t played out like many people, including those close Hicks, thought it would when Texas originally offered the five-star prospect from Allen. Hicks grew up attending Texas games and has close ties to the program. We were told by several people close to him that a Texas offer would be tough to top, but other schools have been running hot in the race for the state’s top prospect. The Longhorns have work to do but they aren’t out of the race by any means. Hicks doesn’t seem to be in any sort of hurry to make a move and will start a new round of visits this spring. He’s planned trips to Miami, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but his father tells me they will also get back to Texas. Hicks was last in Austin for a game when the Longhorns took on Kansas in the regular season. Bo Davis has a long-standing relationship with the family and is leading the effort, but Texas is adding additional resources.

David Hicks (Photo: Collin Kennedy, 247Sports)

Chris Gilbert is also involved due to his status as a former high school coach and a link to Hicks’ father through coaching circles. Gary Patterson has also been in contact with the younger Hicks, and of course, Steve Sarkisian has been very hands-on. Texas A&M put up a strong effort early with Hicks and Oklahoma defensive line coach Todd Bates had a strong connection to Hicks from recruiting him at Clemson as well. Hicks told Nick Harris at yesterday’s camp that Oregon would get a visit as well. Hicks wants to see what Texas can put forward on the field and if they can produce a better result than they had on the field last season. The Longhorns have a long runway to make a push with Hicks deciding next January at the Under Armour All-American Game, but there’s no doubt they’ve got ground to make up. Texas A&M and Oklahoma feel like the favorites at the moment and I wouldn’t count Miami out with their staff’s recruiting ability. That doesn’t even take into account other national powers within the recruitment.

— 2024 Allen EDGE Zina Umeozulu has noticeably added size since we saw him during the season. He’s starting to add weight on his big frame and develop his skillset. If you’re looking for this to be a package deal because of his brother Neto Umeozulu, don’t look for an easy lock there. Texas is definitely in it, but Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Baylor and Georgia are all programs to watch for the lanky pass-rusher early on. One advantage the Longhorns might have is that the family will likely be on campus quite a bit over the next two years to watch his older brother, so he will get a lot of exposure to Austin.

Allen edge Zina Umeozulu (Photo: Collin Kennedy, 247Sports)

That said, the two aren’t talking a lot about the possibility of playing together at the next level. When we spoke with Neto at the Under Armour All-American game, he reiterated that Zina’s choice is on him to find the best fit possible at the next level. When I spoke to Zina following yesterday’s camp, he reiterated the same thing saying he was looking to make the right call for himself. There’s no rush at the moment. Umeozulu’s recruitment is only starting, and nobody has emerged as a leader yet.

— Kyle Flood continues to push for Mansfield Timberview offensive lineman Andre Cojoe. Cojoe told us he just recently had a Zoom meeting with the Texas offensive line coach watching film and going through different blocking schemes and techniques. Cojoe is eyeing spring trips to Texas, Houston and TCU. Cojoe is planning a trip to Austin for March 26 when Texas gets into spring practices. Cojoe said that the relationship with Texas has been strong and welcoming and it hasn’t changed since the very beginning.

Andre Cojoe (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Cojoe is sorting out his official visits and wants to spread them out over spring and summer. Of the schools recruiting him, Texas is the only program set to get an official visit in his mind as of right now. The Longhorns were the first school to offer Cojoe and they’ve had an inside track with him early on.

—Another offensive lineman Texas is standing strong with is Isaiah Robinson. The Arlington Lamar tackler took home offensive line MVP honors at yesterday’s camp and is looking to set up spring visits. Robinson was last on campus for Junior Day. USC, Cal, Miami, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Baylor are schools he mentioned as standing out. Robinson wants to make more trips this spring to see programs like Alabama and Oklahoma State for their spring practices as well.

Isaiah Robinson (Photo: Collin Kennedy, 247Sports)

Robinson is in the process of narrowing things down with an eye toward official visits. It sounds like a Top 10 or Top 8 cut is upcoming and could be released as soon as April. Robinson doesn’t seem to have a firm timetable for official visits or a decision. Visits in the spring will be tough as Robinson takes part in choir and theater which will keep him busy. The family is considering several options for spring game visits. My initial read is that Texas is in a good spot but USC will be a contender along with Texas A&M.

— Lovejoy wide receiver Kyle Parker wasn’t at this weekend’s camp, but I was able to catch up with a few sources regarding the speedy wide receiver. I wrote last week that I was close to entering a Texas Crystal Ball for Parker but I’m not quite there. A big reason for that is Louisville which is starting to appear as a legitimate contender for quite a few kids. There are two big reasons for the Cardinals becoming a player for multiple high-level recruits. The first is Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco quarterback Pierce Clarkson.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

The Louisville quarterback commit is a popular name in recruiting circles and has been connecting with several recruits. Parker played with Clarkson’s 7v7 team on a few different occasions this spring. The second reason is that the Cards have an aggressive NIL pitch as they look to use the strategy to even the playing field. Deandre Moore told me that Texas and Louisville had the two best presentations in that regard. Sources I spoke with over the weekend indicated that Louisville is a real threat for Parker and shouldn’t be taken lightly. I think the relationship with Brennan Marion and the opportunity to play on a bigger stage could win out for Texas, but I wouldn’t ignore Louisville at this junction.

— Texas is starting to assemble a good list for visit weekends on the last weekend of March and first weekend of April. Right now, it doesn’t sound like there’s much of an event outside of hosting recruits for spring practices. We’ve repeatedly heard Arch Manning’s name mentioned as a visitor for one of those weekends but have not been able to confirm any solid plans as of yet. We’ve even heard talk of multiple visits as his family has plans to be back in Austin in early April. We will see what actually materializes.

Arch Manning (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
COMMENTS

As far as Manning’s recruitment, anyone talking about favorites is probably getting ahead of themselves. I spoke to a source near Manning this weekend who indicated Texas is still in a very strong position thanks to the work AJ Milwee and Steve Sarkisian have been putting in. Alabama remains a strong contributor, and I wouldn’t count Georgia out despite the loss of Matt Luke. While Luke is close with the family, the vital relationships in that recruitment are offensive coordinator Todd Monken and analyst Buster Faulkner. Additionally, LSU and Florida have started to come on as well. I expect Manning to begin narrowing his scope more going into the summer, and I’d guess that he’d like to make a decision before his senior season though he hasn’t said that.

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

In which Roach doesn't even have enough info to say if Arch is visiting when IT says he will (Stampede)

Hide contents

The recruitment of David Hicks hasn’t played out like many people, including those close Hicks, thought it would when Texas originally offered the five-star prospect from Allen. Hicks grew up attending Texas games and has close ties to the program. We were told by several people close to him that a Texas offer would be tough to top, but other schools have been running hot in the race for the state’s top prospect. The Longhorns have work to do but they aren’t out of the race by any means. Hicks doesn’t seem to be in any sort of hurry to make a move and will start a new round of visits this spring. He’s planned trips to Miami, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but his father tells me they will also get back to Texas. Hicks was last in Austin for a game when the Longhorns took on Kansas in the regular season. Bo Davis has a long-standing relationship with the family and is leading the effort, but Texas is adding additional resources.

Huh. Imagine that. 

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Updated On3 in-state rankings (Top 20)

1. Hicks

2. Muhammad 

3. Deal

4. Bowen

5. Cook

6. Toviano

7. Owens

8. Gullette

9. Hill

10. Niblett

11. Burrell

12. Arnold

13. Rogers

14. Brooks

15. Chatman

16. Harrison-Pilot

17. Cozart

18. Terrance Green

19. Pettaway

20. Sewell

Owens at seven is silly 

19 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Likely in response to being 7th in state. Consistent with someone who would feel slighted by arch manning getting a bunch of attention. 
Hopefully he gets that ego under control. 

Cooper Manning basically talked Rueben’s dad into taking their time to pick a school and likely to be part of Team Arch last spring/early summer when they spent a lot of time chatting in Austin some recruiting weekend. 

Rueben decommitted a couple of days later. 

I would say that that family understands how things work and will not be averse to signing alongside Arch.

I just hope that it is Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2