Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, Daichee Bell said:

FWIW, was told Harris Sewell is currently looking to commit somewhere before the start of the season- late August/early Sept. 

Probably not gonna be Texas. I think he's been on the record saying that he likes Flood but he isn't a big town guy. Probably gonna be OU or Clemson.

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Parker's list of top schools is weird. Texas, Arkansas, Louisville, Penn St?

I assume aggy is cha$ing bigger fi$h, but I wonder why OU, LSU, and Baylor aren't involved.

- Parker is still unrated.  (No 247 rating or composite.)  Not saying he's not good - WR is one position where Sarkisian and Marion are pretty credible - but Parker's not yet known, at least when it comes to the $9.95ers.  Perhaps some of that applies to the coaching staffs too?

- OU already has Cozart, considers Hale a lean, and is in the running for Kasper, among others.  LSU's one commit is a high 4 star, and is in the running for an LSU 5 star WR.  Baylor has a WR commit, as well.

- If this guy blows up, yeah, I would expect others to throw their hats in the ring ... but it could also be one instance where his fit (or at least, Sark and Marion's preferences) make him more appealing to Texas than to the other schools.

Five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown planning Texas visit this spring

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown planning Texas visit this spring

Mike Roach

LAS VEGAS — Jalen Brown enters his senior season as one of the most talked about players in the country. As he enters the spring, many schools are trying to get his attention but a few are standing out.

"I'm talking to Miami, Florida State, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU and Oklahoma," Brown said.

Texas has been pushing since Brennan Marion arrived in Austin. Brown says he has plans to make a trip this spring amid his busy schedule.

"I definitely have plans," he said. "Like mid-March, I'm going to try to fit it in between 7-on-7 and track."

Brown grew up watching Texas play football and even worked out with Casey Thompson one offseason.

"I grew up watching college football and Texas was always on TV," he said. "I grew up watching them play against all of these big schools. I worked out with their old quarterback Casey Thompson too."

Brown likes his potential fit in Steve Sarkisian's offense because of the way he features the wide receiver.

"It looked a lot like Bama because the Bama offensive coordinator went over there," Brown said. "They've got a high-powered offense and they always have that one receiver in the offense that gets big plays done."

Brennan Marion has been able to make a positive impression since arriving. Brown says he enjoys talking with the Texas assistant.

"He's cool," he said. "He's easy to talk to. He doesn't force you to do anything so it's a pretty good relationship."

Brown is planning to take his official visits in the fall where he can get a better idea of what the campus looks like on gameday.

"I'd like to take them in the fall," he said. "You don't really get a vibe of the school if you take an official in the summer. Nobody is there but the football team. I want to get the actual vibe from when the other students are there and how gameday weekend is."

Though he will take all of his official visits regardless, he said a decision could come at any time.

"The window is still open for a decision," he said. "It could be today or it could be tomorrow or December."

At 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 4 wide receiver in the nation and No. 9 overall prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably not gonna be Texas. I think he's been on the record saying that he likes Flood but he isn't a big town guy. Probably gonna be OU or Clemson.

That's just a manufactured $9.95 thing because he is from Odessa.  Texas has been on him since Herman. Texas may not be the final choice, but he does like the Longhorns. He's got a helluva lot of options now.   

1 minute ago, Daichee Bell said:

That's just a manufactured $9.95 thing because he is from Odessa.  Texas has been on him since Herman. Texas may not be the final choice, but he does like the Longhorns. He's got a helluva lot of options now.   

Interesting. I know Texas has been on him for a while. I'll need to see him visit in the spring before getting any type of hope.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:38 AM, Bevo said:

200 Meters
  24.06 Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
  23.04PR Apr 1 UIL 5A District 10 V P
Long Jump
11    17' 8.5PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational 1 F
Triple Jump
10    34' 11PR Mar 6 Lovejoy Track & Field Invitational

1 F

The times for that meet are weird. The winning time was 23.37. I ran with a guy in high school who went on to be an NCAA track champion and he was running in the low 22's for the 200. But looking at the times, Parker finished 4th in the race and lost by just over half a second to the leader, which leads me to believe they were likely running into a headwind for a portion of the race. 

Just for fun, here is a formulaic conversion I found for track speed from the 40 to 100M. Some math nerd *cough* @Huckleberry can probably reverse engineer this to a 200M. 

4.2 10.05
4.3 10.29
4.4 10.53
4.5 10.77
4.6 11.01
4.7 11.25
4.8 11.49
4.9 11.73
5.0 11.97

I can't take credit for the formula. Someone smarter than me did it. I looked up a few people with times for both and it seems reasonably close.

x = 40 time

x/2.54 + 2x ~ 100m time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the players looked thrilled. any guesses as to which bed shitting this was after?

It’s from 2019 (150 patch, CB 32 helmet sticker and Overshown is #31), and nighttime games that year were La Tech, LSU, Kansas and Oklahoma State. We did a throwback jersey in the KU game, so it’s from either La Tech, LSU or Oklahoma State. Overshown did not play vs. Oklahoma State, so eliminate that one. 

The lack of joy makes my guess LSU, but it could also be Louisiana Tech. I refuse to devote any brain cells to Cort Jaquess.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Interesting. I know Texas has been on him for a while. I'll need to see him visit in the spring before getting any type of hope.

You can't hope for a player that: Texas has been on for years;  guy who knows the family is telling you that the kid likes Texas; is a Texan playing football in the city that the "Friday Night Lights" brand originates from; and that the staff is aggressively recruiting - but you feel fine predicting a Clemson outcome for him?

That makes zero sense if you actually follow Clemson's recruiting when it comes to OL recruiting and development. Clemson has been a powerhouse for this decade, but that hasn't translated into OL success. I think they've had like two 2nd round picks from the OL in the last 30 years and very little else. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://247sports.com/Player/Rico-Flores-46094886/

YARN | I love everybody! I love my friends! | Jerry Maguire (1996) | Video  gifs by quotes | 23028fb9 | 紗

Top247 WR Rico Flores breaks down his top five
BRANDON HUFFMAN

Spoiler

BRANDON HUFFMAN

Folsom (Calif.) receiver Rico Flores announced his top five on Tuesday evening.

Flores announced a top five of, alphabetically, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas and UCLA.

He broke down his five finalists with 247Sports.

Georgia: "What I like about Georgia is the environment the university is in.  The staff is amazing, and on top of that, their new receivers coach, Bryan McClendon, and I already have a great relationship."

Notre Dame: "At Notre Dame, the academics and football are very high there.  And on top of that, the coaching staff there are amazing and are in contact with me and my family a couple times a week."

Ohio State: "Ohio State makes me feel like family there all around and their offensive staff, just what they’ve produced throughout the years. The university is great with what they offer."

Texas: "Texas is in a great environment and the coaching staff there is just really really outstanding. I have great relationships with everyone there."

UCLA: "I love everything that UCLA has to offer, whether it's school or academics or if it's on the field, always playing in the Rose Bowl. I also really love how much my relationship with the coaches there have grown."

A four-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings, Flores ranks as the No. 22 receiver nationally and the No. 13 prospect in the state of California in the class of 2023.

He has been selected to play in the 2023 All-American Bowl in San Antonio in January 2023.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Rico-Flores-46094886/

YARN | I love everybody! I love my friends! | Jerry Maguire (1996) | Video  gifs by quotes | 23028fb9 | 紗

BRANDON HUFFMAN

Hide contents

BRANDON HUFFMAN

Folsom (Calif.) receiver Rico Flores announced his top five on Tuesday evening.

Flores announced a top five of, alphabetically, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas and UCLA.

He broke down his five finalists with 247Sports.

Georgia: "What I like about Georgia is the environment the university is in.  The staff is amazing, and on top of that, their new receivers coach, Bryan McClendon, and I already have a great relationship."

Notre Dame: "At Notre Dame, the academics and football are very high there.  And on top of that, the coaching staff there are amazing and are in contact with me and my family a couple times a week."

Ohio State: "Ohio State makes me feel like family there all around and their offensive staff, just what they’ve produced throughout the years. The university is great with what they offer."

Texas: "Texas is in a great environment and the coaching staff there is just really really outstanding. I have great relationships with everyone there."

UCLA: "I love everything that UCLA has to offer, whether it's school or academics or if it's on the field, always playing in the Rose Bowl. I also really love how much my relationship with the coaches there have grown."

A four-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings, Flores ranks as the No. 22 receiver nationally and the No. 13 prospect in the state of California in the class of 2023.

He has been selected to play in the 2023 All-American Bowl in San Antonio in January 2023.

He was talking up Alabama a month ago, so it's good that at least so far they're not in it.  He is a very smooth receiver in his somewhat limited highlights.

21 hours ago, Getafix said:

- OU already has Cozart, considers Hale a lean, and is in the running for Kasper, among others.  LSU's one commit is a high 4 star, and is in the running for an LSU 5 star WR.  Baylor has a WR commit, as well.

is Hale STILL an OU lean with them losing CWilliams/Rattler + 🐍 Riley? (the snake stuff really makes me laugh)

Edited by NoName

IT on WR recruiting

Spoiler

For at least the third cycle in a row, wide receiver is a massive need for the Texas Longhorns. Though the recent recruiting track record is poor, there is hope the staff can land one of the top groups in the country thanks to multiple factors: Xavier Worthy’s freshman success extending Sark’s proof of concept from Tuscaloosa to Austin, the arrival of Quinn Ewers, and, perhaps most of all, the infusion of energy that accompanies new receivers coach Brennan Marion.

After taking a look at the defensive back position Tuesday, Inside Texas makes a run at the wide receiver position. The prospects are broken down by yes, maybe or no, as we believe it currently stands.

Yes
Jaden Greathouse, Austin (Texas) Westlake
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 124

The hybrid receiver/tight end prospect is a recruitment Texas should win and has to win. The Longhorn staff covets Greathouse. He’s in Austin and Texas is prevalent in his mind.

Kyle Parker, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 482

This is where relationship-building early on, a coach changing schools and offering quickly will make a difference as a prospect ascends.

Maybe
Johntay Cook II, DeSoto (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 56

Despite A&M’s recent movement, IT still likes where UT is long term. Cook loves Steve Sarkisian’s scheme and track record with receivers and has questions regarding the same of Jimbo Fisher. If UT lands Arch Manning, confidence increases much more.

Jaquaize Pettaway, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 36

This sets up as a winnable recruitment for Texas. Sark was early to offer and remains in contact with the speedster multiple times a week. He’s also forging a strong relationship with Brennan Marion. Due to track and having a job, Pettaway is a bit limited on visits he’ll take to national powerhouses which could extend his timeline some. Once a concern, Alabama seems to have prioritized other prospects.

Jalen Brown, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 21

One of the top prospects on the board for the hometown Hurricanes, and now Brown has Mario Cristobal and Josh Gattis on the recruitment. Florida State is also a player. Out-of-state programs receiving mention in South Florida are Michigan and Texas A&M. A spring or summer visit to Texas is not a bad bet.

Rico Flores, Folsom (Calif.)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 163

Flores dropped a top five Tuesday that included the Longhorns. Texas joins Ohio State, Notre Dame, UCLA and Georgia in the five. The Buckeyes are thought to be the serious competition for the other four, but how things play out with Brandon Inniss and Carnell Tatecould have an impact here.

Jonah Wilson, Houston (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 216

Texas may be a bit late to the party here but Marion offered while he was at Pittsburgh and UT is now ramping up its pursuit. Wilson might not be the type of recruit they hold an indefinite spot for, but he’s definitely coveted and has plenty of time to weigh his options. Wilson was offered hours after Sarkisian and Marion watched him play basketball in January.

Cordale Russell, Mesquite (Texas) North Mesquite
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 215

Marion has Russell very high on the board as a big receiver with explosive flashes. Texas Tech is an in-state school with a legit chance to win this recruitment.

Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 49

Hale was an afterthought for Texas before the coaching change that brought Marion to Austin. Now UT has a puncher’s chance but will still contend with regional rivals. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the staff had Wilson on equal footing with Hale. Just something to file away.

Braylon James, Del Valle (Texas)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 113

Had Texas pushed from jump, James would likely be in the ‘yes’ category. However, they’ve kept in touch while also surveying the entire field which has opened the doors for other schools. He likes schools in UT’s mold that offer good academics as well as athletics so if the staff does press, it could make up ground quickly.

No
Ryan Niblett, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 99

Alabama is trending here ahead of a March unofficial visit with his mother. An offer from LSU may serve as Alabama’s biggest threat as long as Niblett continues to trend further from home. If that changes, Texas A&M and Texas would stand a better chance.

Brandon Inniss, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) American Heritage
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 27

Word out of South Florida this weekend is that Texas would be considered a true longshot in this recruitment, if the staff tried to push. Ohio State or USC is currently expected.

Carnell Tate, Chicago (Ill.) IMG Academy
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 14

Texas had Tate on campus last summer and continued to recruit one of the nation’s best. With that said, a source in South Florida told IT this weekend not to hold your breath. Ohio State is likely per a person or two in South Florida over the weekend.

DeAndre Moore, Los Alamitos (Calif.)
On3 Consensus ranking: No. 50

USC is the resounding favorite.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, Vertigo said:

The times for that meet are weird. The winning time was 23.37. I ran with a guy in high school who went on to be an NCAA track champion and he was running in the low 22's for the 200. But looking at the times, Parker finished 4th in the race and lost by just over half a second to the leader, which leads me to believe they were likely running into a headwind for a portion of the race. 

Just for fun, here is a formulaic conversion I found for track speed from the 40 to 100M. Some math nerd *cough* @Huckleberry can probably reverse engineer this to a 200M. 

4.2 10.05
4.3 10.29
4.4 10.53
4.5 10.77
4.6 11.01
4.7 11.25
4.8 11.49
4.9 11.73
5.0 11.97

I can't take credit for the formula. Someone smarter than me did it. I looked up a few people with times for both and it seems reasonably close.

x = 40 time

x/2.54 + 2x ~ 100m time

Isn’t this just 2.39x?

If our coaches and alum are smart, they show Reuben the money Bijan is making and the life Bijan is living.  If you follow him on Instagram, the dude is hanging out with celebrities and artists every other weekend.  He’s basically living the life every high school 16 year old wants.  They have to sell the long term NiL “bag”.  We can win this recruitment but we’ll need a few things to go our way.  

1.  Bijan needs to have another big year and get drafted.  Sark has shown he can highlight talent.  Our offense is attractive to RBs.

2.  Sell the SEC and tell him we’ll be joining the league his freshman year and Texas is going to have a lot of eyeballs as every team is going to make us their prime time game.  We’re Texas bitch.

3.  Show him how much Quinn Ewers and Bijan are making.  Elite talent will get paid.  The rumored 5 mil NiL deal for Ewers dwarfs the million dollars or so aggy used to buy Walter Nolen.

Sark has to be ruthless.  The recruiting game has changed.  The rules have changed.  If you’re not going to weaponize the resources we have to offer, then he should not be leading us into the sec to compete.  Lastly, get Arch and this recruitment tilts in our favor.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If our coaches and alum are smart, they show Reuben the money Bijan is making and the life Bijan is living.  If you follow him on Instagram, the dude is hanging out with celebrities and artists every other weekend.  He’s basically living the life every high school 16 year old wants.  They have to sell the long term NiL “bag”.  We can win this recruitment but we’ll need a few things to go our way.  

1.  Bijan needs to have another big year and get drafted.  Sark has shown he can highlight talent.  Our offense is attractive to RBs.

2.  Sell the SEC and tell him we’ll be joining the league his freshman year and Texas is going to have a lot of eyeballs as every team is going to make us their prime time game.  We’re Texas bitch.

3.  Show him how much Quinn Ewers and Bijan are making.  Elite talent will get paid.  The rumored 5 mil NiL deal for Ewers dwarfs the million dollars or so aggy used to buy Walter Nolen.

Sark has to be ruthless.  The recruiting game has changed.  The rules have changed.  If you’re not going to weaponize the resources we have to offer, then he should not be leading us into the sec to compete.  Lastly, get Arch and this recruitment tilts in our favor.

That, OR ...  DeShon Elliott, Quandre Diggs, and Charles Omenihu need to start a change.org petition to bring Rueben (U before E) to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Went out with hot Chinese gal yesterday. Undergrad in China and grad school at Michigan. Knew more about college football than any chick I've dated. I started talking about Quinn and she brought up Arch Manning. My takeaway from this is Arch to Texas.

The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

Cool. Now ask her how much she knows about Tiananmen Square in 1989.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1