Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin just put in a 70% confidence pick on Arch to Texas.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.2708c9c95db34fa2db915f781cbc5d91.png

52 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Nahlin likes him some Nahlin. 

Nahlin knows nothing more about the Manning recruitment than some posters on this board. He's making a low-risk prognostication that he's going to tout as Nostradamus-level if it happens and dismiss as "recruiting is hard" if it doesn't. I'd be impressed if he'd called his shot last summer, but he didn't. 

The only reason Texas doesn't have an Arch Manning commitment as of now is because they shit the bed in 2021. The whole thing makes a ton of sense to everyone, but for Seven Loss Steve's 5-7 incompetence.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin knows nothing about the Manning recruitment than some posters on this board. He's making a low-risk prognostication that he's going to tout as Nostradamus-level if it happens and dismiss as "recruiting is hard" if it doesn't. I'd be impressed if he'd called his shot last summer, but he didn't. 

The only reason Texas doesn't have an Arch Manning commitment as of now is because they shit the bed in 2021. The whole thing makes a ton of sense to everyone, but for Seven Loss Steve's 5-7 incompetence.

Not to carry water for Nahlin, but he did put in a 75% confidence on Arch to Texas back in October...

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Not to carry water for Nahlin, but he did put in a 75% confidence on Arch to Texas back in October...

Uh huh. What did he do after Texas shit itself against OSU, Kansas, ISU, WVU and Baylor after that date? Like I said, it would have impressed me last summer. 

Not that it matters, but you can go pretty far back on this thread and see confidence in Texas landing Manning if Texas takes care of business, and for a number of well-organized reasons. I'm mocking Nahlin's self-defeating and childish behavior in which he claims great foresight or gets condescending, or both, when a pick is confirmed. 

I don't think we have to win on the scoreboard against Bama in win in the Arch sweepstakes.
Not getting blown out of our own stadium might be somewhat helpful, and dare I say keeping it close would almost be a win?
/aggy thinking
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

one the one hand i REALLY want Texas to get Arch

on the other hand, i REALLY wouldn't mind seeing EN melt down

he melts down every cycle.. typically in June/July, and he attacks his subs/message board members for them to even question why he was wrong or that he had bad info.. it's not him, it's the staff.. he'll tell you that himself over and over lol

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

he melts down every cycle.. typically in June/July, and he attacks his subs/message board members for them to even question why he was wrong or that he had bad info.. it's not him, it's the staff.. he'll tell you that himself over and over lol

Seems like his only saving grace from last cycle was Mario Cristabol going to Miami. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

one the one hand i REALLY want Texas to get Arch

on the other hand, i REALLY wouldn't mind seeing EN melt down

Um wut. I'll take Arch. Thank you. We've seen Nahlin melt down plenty.  He does it almost every cycle when he's shown to be way too optimistic, he then berates his subs for having the gall to believe his predictions and then resumes sunshine pumping shortly thereafter. Rinse, repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Comment on the Manning recruitment.  

An early commitment to Texas is needed to build critically needed class momentum. However if Texas shits the bed again he’d need to de-commit and still have a spot at his preferred second destination. I believe he will have a spot anywhere in the country, including at Alabama, up until signing day (obviously?), no matter what other QB’s Alabama, Georgia, etc have taken up until that point  

As a result, an early commitment to build momentum will be what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 9

11 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I think Manning is a different type of kid. He doesn’t even have social media. I don’t see him as the type to decommit.

*unless it looks necessary. I believe he’s a guy who is looking to stick to his commitment and taking all the steps necessary to do so. If we shit the bed and look like hot garbage while doing it, the mannings will make the best call for them and that’s fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach crystal balled Jaydon Chatman, Shaw, Cojoe, Avion Carter, and the big DT from Humble to Texas.

Here's the article (adapted to make it easier to read). Roach is going soft on the Westlake bigs, but it's very early.

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: Updating picks for the 2023 class

VIP By Mike Roach 5 hours ago

As we head into the spring visit season with official visits around the corner, recruiting races are starting to become clearer. Over the next two months, we will be able to see where the Longhorns are emerging as leaders.

With that in mind, it’s time to use the 247Sports Crystal Ball tool to make some predictions and update existing picks. We also had the opportunity to assess those recruitments that could be heating up or cooling off.

In this edition of Crystal Ballin, Horns247’s gathering of information and predictions, we provide some housecleaning on the 2023 class with five new picks and a load of other updates on prospects in the class.

New Predictions

Andre Cojoe, OL, Mansfield Timberview (Confidence: 6)

Texas was the first offer for the big offensive lineman, and he will be back in Austin in March. Kyle Flood has been digging in on this recruitment and Cojoe spoke highly of Texas when we last talked. Right now, the Longhorns are the only school he knows for sure will get an official visit. He plans to take his visits, but I think Texas stands in the lead as of now.

Jamaal Shaw, ATH, West Orange Stark (Confidence: 7)

Shaw couldn’t hide his excitement when he received his Texas offer. The Golden Triangle star is a brother to a former Texas commit in Johnny Shaw and grew up watching Earl Thomas. Shaw is probably a corner at the next level, so he’d have to fit into the picture there. If he were deciding today, I think Texas would be the pick.

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Confidence: 5)

I’m cautiously optimistic with this pick. Once again, Kyle Flood led the way being the first to offer the CenTex prospect. My only reservation is a looming battle with Alabama, but we have intel that says Chatman’s family would prefer he stay closer to home. Offering first was big and Chatman has mentioned it multiple times. Texas is positioned well moving into the spring.

Samu Taumanupepe, DL, Humble Atascocita (Confidence: 5)

The Longhorns made a strong impression on Taumanupepe after hosting him last week. Bo Davis is leading the way, and I think that while Taumanupepe will likely take his visits and play the process out, the Longhorns took a big first step. Like Chatman, the optimism here is cautious as we figure out numbers on the defensive line and who might also be in the mix for the nose position.

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo Tascosa (Confidence: 6)

Texas made a strong move with Carter in the fall, and they are set to get him back on campus this spring. If Texas is looking to add SEC bodies on the defensive line, Carter is the perfect candidate. If he doesn’t make it for the weekend of March 26, I’d expect to see him at the Spring Game.

Checking current picks

Ashton Porter, DL, Cy-Ranch

I entered a pick for Porter back in January with a confidence score of 7, and I feel great with where things stand. Porter is probably the player I’d place the best odds on to be the next commit if he ends up moving up his timeline.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

This has been a prediction cycle of ups and downs. Early in the recruitment I felt Texas sat at the top for the five-star corner, but Oklahoma emerged throughout the fall causing em to drop my confidence score to a 3. Following his Junior Day visit, Texas rebounded and re-established some position with him. This will still be a tough recruitment as national programs vie for the talented defender. My confidence is up slightly, but Texas needs to keep working.

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo

I entered a pick for Owens prior to his commitment last year, and though I lowered confidence following his decommitment, I still feel good enough to leave the pick on Texas. This spring will be big as Owens is set to make it back to Austin, and Texas is still in a great spot to land the five-star runner.

Getting Warmer

Lafayette Kaiuway, TE, Arlington Sam Houston

I think Texas has been in a strong position for the dynamic tight end since they offered, but North Carolina will also be a factor in his recruitment as he has family in the area. Kaiuway visited Austin several times over the last month, and I’d like to talk to him in-depth again before making a prediction.

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco Wakeland

In yet another offensive line recruitment where Kyle Flood got a jump on the competition, Texas being the first to offer the massive Frisco Wakeland prospect. In many ways, this recruitment reminds me of Cole Hutson’s early on. While I feel fairly confident about where the Longhorns stand early on, other programs like Arkansas shouldn’t be dismissed.

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas Lovejoy

I’ve mentioned several times that I was close to entering a pick for Parker and Texas. I think Brennan Marion has been able to do a good job early, but a couple of other schools loom for Parker who looks like he wants to take some time with the process. Louisville and Arkansas are two programs to watch for him, and a few others will likely emerge this spring as he takes more visits.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA.) Woodlawn

Matthews is an out-of-state prospect I think Texas has a serious chance at landing. The four-star Louisiana corner has been to Austin multiple times and the Texas staff has several ties to The Boot. I’m interested to see how the spring goes with more visits and competition from LSU and Texas A&M with a few others involved.

Jonah Wilson, WR, Dekaney

Wilson was offered by Texas during the winter, and I think they are positioning themselves to make a move this spring. The big outside receiver will be in Austin on March 26, and we should have a better idea of where things truly stand following that trip.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood

Texas offered the athletic EDGE prospect at Junior Day and are in a good early position for him. It sounds like Pete Kwiatkowski made a strong impression with him and the Longhorns could be the team to beat early. I think this is another case where a Crystal Ball could come in the future, but I’d like to dig around more and gather some additional information before moving forward.

Freddie Dubose, WR, Schertz Clemens (2024)

Dubose was a strong early evaluation by the current staff and the Longhorns made an early impression when they hosted him for Junior Day. Dubose mentioned his desire to stay close to home, and Austin is just a short drive from Schertz. It’s still very early for this one, but I can see Texas emerging as an early favorite.

Cooling off

Chris Palfreeman, WR, Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal

There was a time where I felt Palfreeman could be an early member of this class, but I believe things have cooled off as Texas looks at several options in what will likely be a calculated wide receiver group.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (LA.) Westgate

Texas looked good for Williams early, and while I don’t think there’s been a drastic change, sources I spoke with in Louisiana just don’t feel the Longhorns are a top contender for the elite prospect. While Texas will remain in the game and work to get a visit, it sounds like LSU and Alabama will be tough competitors for him.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, S, Temple

The Temple product has his eyes on several other programs as communication has been running hot and cold between him and Texas since the time they offered. Seen as a safety product by the Longhorns, the two-way Temple star is unlikely to land in Austin at this point. Perhaps something changes during the spring, but this is trending down.

TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake

Shanahan may be at Westlake after moving there last year, but it seems Texas A&M impressed him after beating Alabama last year. Shanahan is still a priority for Texas, but they’ve got some work to do in order to land him. On the bright side, there are some who feel Shanahan’s recruitment hasn’t even really started yet and will likely go for a while.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

When Vasek was offered, there was some thought that the Texas legacy was a virtual lock. While I still feel he’s very much in play for the Longhorns, it won’t be an easy win some thought it could be. Vasek is being recruited by several elite programs and he wants to take his time with the process in order to make the right decision.

Edited by MuellerHorn

29 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I think Manning is a different type of kid. He doesn’t even have social media. I don’t see him as the type to decommit.

Understand but the coaching staff would likely be okay with this gambling scenario. It’s better to have him and lose him than either not get him at all because of the risk of playing bad again, or waiting until late to make a decision when the class is mostly set.

They are risking a class falling apart somewhat if he bailed, but the risk is worth it imo. And for that reason Manning may be ok with an early commit and a plan B if necessary. 

Shanahan is way over-ranked. I don't blame our staff for evaluating OL carefully considering we have a lot of options and spots will be limited this class since we loaded up last year. Rivals still has him ranked as the 8th overall player in the country and that is inflating his composite ranking big time. On3 has him like 250 in the country.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Understand but the coaching staff would likely be okay with this gambling scenario. It’s better to have him and lose him than either not get him at all because of the risk of playing bad again, or waiting until late to make a decision when the class is mostly set.

They are risking a class falling apart somewhat if he bailed, but the risk is worth it imo. And for that reason Manning may be ok with an early commit and a plan B if necessary. 

Of course it is worth it. I dont even get this conversation. It is Arch Manning. You do every thing you can to sign him. If he signs, you pray every day it sticks. IF that means throwing down a rug and facing east you do it. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Comment on the Manning recruitment.  

An early commitment to Texas is needed to build critically needed class momentum. However if Texas shits the bed again he’d need to de-commit and still have a spot at his preferred second destination. I believe he will have a spot anywhere in the country, including at Alabama, up until signing day (obviously?), no matter what other QB’s Alabama, Georgia, etc have taken up until that point  

As a result, an early commitment to build momentum will be what happens. 

Comment from who? Nahiln?

Roach

Spoiler

— The Longhorns have four offers out to prospects at Dallas South Oak Cliff High School, and the Longhorns are working on getting some of those prospects back to campus. 2023 defensive backs Malik Muhammad and Jayvon Thomas are two priorities for the staff, and the Longhorns might have a chance to get them in during March. Both run track for the Golden Bears who will compete in the Texas Relays during the last weekend of March. The Longhorns are set to host a big group of visitors that weekend and it's likely they swing by while in town. Texas needs to do a little bit of work to make up with Thomas while Muhammad is set for a long recruiting process.

— One other name to watch at SOC is offensive lineman Narado Stoker. The 2023 prospect is starting to see some increased recruiting attention after a strong junior campaign anchoring the offensive line for the state champions. Texas reached out to indicate interest in Stoker and will likely evaluate him during the spring. Stoker has the potential to rise because of his 6-foot-4, 290-pound frame with an athletic skillset.

— The Longhorns offered Katy defender Johnathan Hall today. Hall is listed as a safety but is reportedly around 6-foot-1, 215 pounds right now. Texas sees Hall as a versatile defender who could play in the nickel or at the weakside linebacker spot. Hall said Texas has been in contact since October and he already has a good relationship with the staff singling out Jeff Choate as the assistant who built that relationship. Hall is planning a visit to Austin for sometime in April.