Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

This one is in regards to Ketch and his previous statements about Arch. 

In a caged death match between Jabba the Ketchum and Nahlin the Condescender, I’d like to have an old witch from Alquippa smoke bomb me into the center between them with nothing but my loin cloth, war paint, and white, hot rage. 

• Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

Bobby:

Not sure if everyone was paying attention over the weekend, but some big recruiting news dropped.

Not only are elite running back Rueben Owens and blue chip lineman Jaydon Chatman visiting on back-to-back weekends, first on March 26, then on April 2, but the state’s top wide receiver Johntay Cook also told Inside Texas that he’ll be in Austin for both weekends, too.

Of course, that first weekend coincides with the visit of the nation’s No. 1 prospect, quarterback Arch Manning.

While a couple of weeks ago, many, including myself, were wondering if the tactic by Texas coaches to delay pushing for commitments was the wisest decision, it now is playing out in a way that couldn’t be more advantageous for the Horns.

No major target has committed elsewhere. And Texas has set up excellently for their two biggest recruiting weekends of the spring.

And those two weekends don’t include the spring game, which will occur just three weeks later and is sure to draw even more visitors.

To this point, Steve Sarkisian and his staff have played their recruiting hand deftly yet again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not Texas recruiting related, but I didn't want to start a thread. Were the Taaffes from Westlake any good? I just found out they are the nephews of a friend of mine and saw Michael Taaffe was on our roster.

Michael Taaffe was a great high school player. Led the Westlake defense to two titles. He is practice fodder in college. 

• Like 1

247 Recruiting Stampede:

Spoiler

The Stampede: Recruiting notes from Under Armour, thoughts on Arch Manning

VIP ByMike Roach 118 minutes ago

ARLINGTON, Texas — The weekend's Under Armour regional camp in Dallas gave Horns247 the opportunity to evaluate and speak with several top Texas prospects to find out where the Longhorns stand. Over 20 Texas targets showed up in attendance and we were able to gather a ton of notes on those prospects.

The Longhorns are revving up for another cycle with a few big visits on tap in the coming weeks. We spoke with many of the campers at the UA event about when they would potentially visit and where Texas stands in their big picture. The Longhorns are also hoping to add Arch Manning to the class to fit as a cornerstone.

We were able to talk to a few people in recruiting circles to gauge the latest on Manning and where his recruitment could go from here. In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we drop a huge batch of notes on Arch Manning and prospects from the Under Armour Dallas camp.

Arch Manning

Before we get into the bulk of The Stampede, I wanted to provide a small update on where I see things with Arch Manning. As we head into his senior year, the scrutiny will increase. The five-star quarterback is set to see Texas in March and we’ve heard some talk that we haven’t confirmed he might return the following week as his father comes back to Austin for an engagement. We’ve heard quite a bit from Texas targets that the Longhorns are pushing for several targets to make a return trip if they come in the first week.

From what we know, this is the only trip Arch has scheduled as of now, but we also believe he wants to see Ole Miss, Alabama and Georgia again along with LSU and Florida. We talked to several people inside recruiting circles over the weekend who feel Texas will ultimately win Manning over, but recruit talk can often be unreliable. In the next week, I’ll be digging in on sources closer to Manning to see if it’s possible Manning could shut it down this early.

My instincts and what I know about the family tell me no, but there are some signals around this visit that require us to circle back and cover bases. Since the time I first met Manning last spring, I thought that Texas would be in a very strong position for him. This week will be about beating the bushes and see what we get.

UA Camp Notes

The Under Armour regional camp welcomed some of the best in the state and a few from outside of the state to Arlington Martin High School on Sunday for a day full of competition. Several Texas targets were in action, and we were able to speak to them and sources around them to get the latest on their recruitments.

— Desoto wide receiver Johntay Cook impressed once again yesterday with superb body control and the best route running skills on the field. Texas could have the opportunity to host their top wide receiver target on two occasions in the coming week as Cook will compete at the Texas Relays on March 26. He could stick around and visit the team after he’s done to spend some time with friends Arch Manning and Rueben Owens who are slated to be on campus. Cook will also be in town on April 2 for a visit. There are a number of national programs after him, but this one could potentially come down to a head-to-head matchup between Texas A&M and Texas.

It’s important to watch programs like Alabama, Ohio State and LSU, but the Longhorns and Aggies are both throwing everything they have at Cook. The Aggies’ chances might depend on the success of Evan Stewart. Cook is watching the Texas A&M offense to see how they utilize wide receivers, and he’s close with Stewart. Reports are that Stewart has been turning heads early in A&M’s camp. For Texas, everything is solid from a relationship standpoint and he speaks often with Xavier Worthy, Jahdae Barron and former high school teammate Byron Murphy. He’s been to Austin so many times that he knows all there is to know and the same goes for A&M. In future visits, Cook said he’s focused on the cons of a university rather than the pros to help differentiate his favorites from one another. One other possible factor for Cook is the opportunity to play with Kyle Parker who is a friend of his. While it wouldn’t make the decision for him, Cook called Parker the “Robin” to his “Batman.”

— Texas took an important step in January with five-star Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano. The Longhorns were fading just a bit last fall, but the trip to Austin for junior day reinvigorated the relationship. Now, Toviano is set to make a return trip to Austin on April 2, but he will see some other programs as well. Georgia will get a visit this week while Toviano is on spring break, and the Dawgs could be one to watch. Texas A&M is pushing hard along with Oklahoma and Oregon. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks have been leading the way in this recruitment but Terry Joseph is increasing his involvement. Toviano mentioned that Texas came on strong last year but they started to give him some more space which helped in his eyes. Toviano raves about the people at Texas and the way he’s treated. Toviano wants to start narrowing things down to 8 or 6 schools after his spring practice and he wants to commit prior to his senior season. I don’t think Texas is in the lead, but I think they are in the thick of it.

— Harker Heights offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman will see Austin in back to back weeks on March 26 and April 2. Chatman has been a frequent visitor to Austin and he and his family have a strong rapport with Kyle Flood who was the first to offer. LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are the other schools on him the hardest. Chatman said that Flood has kept the most consistent communication out of all of the schools working on him. He wants to go to Oklahoma and Alabama during the spring, but Texas getting back-to-back visits bodes well. Chatman plans to narrow his visits during the late summer and make a decision mid-season. I recently entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball for him last week, and I think Texas is making headway as a leader in this recruitment.

— Tyler Legacy defensive lineman Jordan Renaud plans to return to Austin this summer, but Texas has some work to do if they want to land the high-upside prospect. In June, Renaud will see all of the Florida schools along with Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas. Renaud said the relationship with Texas is there, but it’s become a bit lax. Bo Davis has been the point man in the recruitment, and he said he likes who Davis is both as a coach and person. Texas A&M was once a contender for Renaud, but he feels communication with the Aggies isn’t where it needs to be. Oklahoma seems like the favorite just from reading the tea leaves, but Renaud isn’t in any sort of hurry with regards to a decision. Perhaps a visit can change the momentum with Renaud.

— Arlington Sam Houston tight end Lafayette Kaiuway said that North Carolina and Texas continue to set the tone in his recruitment. The big pass-catching target is headed to Texas on April 2. He wants to also see Alabama and Auburn if he can as well. Kaiuway doesn’t have any visits official visits planned currently and doesn’t know when he will have them together. Right now, Kaiuway is looking to get his commitment out of the way prior to his senior season. If he doesn’t have a decision by then, it’s likely he pushes it all the way until signing day. Texas continues to remain in good shape, but don’t sleep on North Carolina where he has family and the Tar Heels have really made an impact early.

— Five-star Allen DL David Hicks is coming off a visit to Miami. The Hurricanes made a mark on him following the trip. Hicks said he’s planning to get back to Austin in the spring when he can find time around his track schedule. Hicks is slated to throw at Texas Relays on the weekend of March 26, so he could possibly make the trip over to the football offices following that meet. Hicks characterized the relationship with Bo Davis as good and praised his personality and coaching style. Hicks is also planning a trip to Eugene to see Oregon’s spring game as the Ducks have been able to capture his attention. I still feel the Longhorns have some work to do in this race if they want to get back into the top position with the five-star defensive lineman.

— Texas A&M commit Johnny Bowens was another standout performer on the day. Bowens committed to the Aggies in December but he’s still looking to take visits until signing day. The Longhorns remain in contact and Bowens talks to Bo Davis frequently. There could be a trip in his future as Bowens evaluates all of his options, but he seems pretty locked in with the Aggies at the moment.

— Tashard Choice is invested heavily with Round Rock Stony Point running back Cameron Cook. The local product will be back on campus on April 2 after visiting Baylor, Oregon, Ole Miss and Penn State. Cook is taking the process slowly and working on narrowing his schools down to make a decision. I think Texas has been able to do a lot early with Cook, but he’s still pretty open. While he sounded like he might want to close his process down early, he also felt that he had no problem taking it the distance if he couldn’t make a decision. The second running back job is one spot where Texas has many options, but Cook is starting to emerge as an interesting prospect there.

— One player that could be on Crystal Ball watch is Klein Forest linebacker Brad Spence. Spence worked out exclusively on the edge where he spends most of his time at the high school level, but he said Texas sees him as a guy who can play inside and spin down to the edge every once in a while when needed. Aside from Texas, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are all in the mix, but I got the feeling there was some separation between the Longhorns and the rest of the group thanks in part to Texas offering him early. Spence will return to Austin on April 2 and praised the facilities from his previous visits. Spence said he’s working on narrowing things down at the moment and is looking to make a commitment sometime mid-season. I feel the Longhorns are in a comfortable position with him at the moment.

— San Antonio Brennan safety Tyler Turner recently opened his recruitment backing off of a commitment to Baylor. Since that time, it’s been a bit of a whirlwind for him. Turner said that Utah and Texas are the schools that he knows of right now that will probably get an official visit. Turner would like to make the commitment before his senior season, but he’s not stressing on the date right now. Blake Gideon and Steve Sarkisian are both keeping in touch often with Turner. An unofficial to Austin from San Antonio isn’t out of the question, but Turner mentioned that gas prices could limit the trips he takes. Turner is wide open now that he’s open and Texas A&M and Oklahoma are continuing to come on strong. I think Texas is in a good position early, but it sounds like Turner really wants to take some time with the process and see who continues to put the pressure on him.

— Waco Connally running back Tre Wisner said he’s having fun with the process as of right now. Wisner said that USC and Oregon will for sure get official visits as he works to figure out others. Of the big three schools in the region, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are all in pursuit of Wisner. Tashard Choice wants to get Wisner back on campus and he wants to see him and spend the day with him sometime in April. He wants to see him during a practice to get an idea for how Choice coaches and he said he wants to make as many spring games as possible.

— North Crowley linebacker S'Maje Burrell continues to blow up in 2023 after winning MVP honors at the camp. He said cutting his list of schools down to 11 was tough because of the bond he had with so many coaches. Each school in his top group is a good fit for him schematically. Burrell will see Texas on March 26, Texas Tech on April 21 and Ohio State on April 1. Burrell said the communication with Texas has been strong and he wants to get back to campus to see how he likes everything. Burrell said he mainly talks to Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Choate, and he loves how Choate’s passion comes through. I see this really coming down to Texas and Oklahoma as of right now, but Baylor and USC are schools to watch along with Ohio State and Tech.

— Del Valle wide receiver Braylon James visited Austin in January, and he called the trip an “intimate” experience because there weren’t the large crowds that usually come along with a junior day or camp trip. James said they hit it off with Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion, especially Marion who relates to him like a big brother. Marion was recruiting James hard at Pittsburgh, and he said Texas is even with the others in his Top 9. Notre Dame is getting a lot of the buzz right now and James is visiting on the 18th. He plans to return to Texas along with trips to TCU, Stanford and Oregon. Stanford has been an early favorite, but I feel the Fighting Irsih are the team to beat right now. James wants to commit before the end of summer.

— Texas A&M defensive line commit Anthony James was supposed to visit Texas recently, but they were forced to re-schedule things. James said the communication has been somewhat inconsistent with the staff and he’s looking for a reason to look into Texas more. James said he’s firmly committed but is open to being recruited elsewhere if someone can give him a compelling reason. Texas could potentially make some noise in this recruitment if they push harder, but they haven’t really turned up the heat yet.

— Katy Mayde Creek defensive back TayShawn Wilson said he can’t wait to get back down to Texas. He loves the family environment and overall feel of the program and he can tell he’s wanted by the staff. Wilson said that a few programs that have offered recently are coming on and he’d like to see them up close. Nebraska is one of those programs. Texas is pitching him on playing several positions in the secondary like nickel and cornerback and he feels the Longhorns are showing him a ton of love. Baylor and Houston are both programs that are succeeding pitching Wilson as well, and he doesn’t know when he wants to narrow things down. Wilson said his potential fit and feeling wanted will be important factors in his decision.

An interesting TXHSFB tease

We can’t say much at this time, but we’ve heard whispers of a Top247 prospect possibly making the move to a new school. Of course, we can’t say the player’s name or the school until the transfer becomes official, but it would be an interesting move for a powerhouse in the state and a player that could add enough to push them into state title contender territory.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

An interesting TXHSFB tease

We can’t say much at this time, but we’ve heard whispers of a Top247 prospect possibly making the move to a new school. Of course, we can’t say the player’s name or the school until the transfer becomes official, but it would be an interesting move for a powerhouse in the state and a player that could add enough to push them into state title contender territory.

Arch committing to Westlake?

14 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Based on these two comments, is Nahlin implying that Johnny Cook is already a Texas commit?

No. I believe he’s saying Fong uses predictions/articles to influence recruitments, a la Fong saying Texas isn’t close for Arch last season to help aggy. Nahlin’s now claiming victory because Fong is turning around and predicting Owens, Cook, Manning to Texas, which Nahlin, being the brilliant prognosticator he is (in his own mind), has been saying all along. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The irony of you saying this makes me laugh. It maybe the the least self-aware thing I have seen on Surly.

When have I denied being condescending? I’m not paid by a subscriber base, though. Do you understand the difference between a poster behaving however he wants and mocking a guy who appears to be actively trying to piss off his paid constituency? Doesn’t seem like it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When have I denied being condescending? I’m not paid by a subscriber base, though. Do you understand the difference between a poster behaving however he wants and mocking a guy who appears to be actively trying to piss off his paid constituency? Doesn’t seem like it. 

Even when you rag on me I very much enjoy your posting style. It's funny as hell especially to those who actually get worked up about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I never said you did.  I thought it was pure entertainment. No need to get defensive. You just made me laugh. 

Toviano:

Javien Toviano is the No. 30 prospect in the On3 Consensus and the national talent may not be too far from making his decision. Before the 6-foot-1, 185-pound cornerback out of Martin High commits, he plans to cut his list down.

That is likely coming soon.

“In my head, I know of about six schools that are true contenders,” Toviano told On3. “I have not made a top list of schools or anything like that yet, but I am close to doing that. I do not have a date or anything, but I think in March or April, that will happen.”

Toviano visited Texas in January. He was in Austin in the fall as well and he is planning to get back in April. He knows he is a top target for Steve Sarkisian.

“Texas wants me to stay home and they want to build that pipeline to Martin. They have signed players from Martin the last couple of years and they want me to be next. Coach Banks, coach Joseph and coach Sark are all recruiting me and they are doing a great job.”

In Sarkisian’s first year, Texas went 5-7. Toviano sees that record improving in the future.

“Coach Sark did a great job with his staff. He has coaches that know how to win from great programs and I see them turning it around. They are close. They have great coaches, great people and Texas is a place that is about great football.”

Toviano sees big things coming in College Station. Like Texas, Texas A&M is recruiting him hard and he sees the Aggies doing big things.

“Texas A&M is set in stone as a top program. They are in the greatest position in all of college football. With their players and recruiting class, they will be competing for a national championship soon. It may be this year.

“They have good guys there and I like their laid-back way of recruiting me. They drop subtle hints a lot, but let me go through the process. I know I am a priority for them, but they have a little different of an approach.”

TCU is very much involved too. It is another school in heavy pursuit of Toviano. He likes how they produce players and target the players they want. He took a visit to TCU during the season, but for the first time, he will leave Texas to visit a school.

Toviano’s looking outside his home state too

Georgia will get Toviano on campus this week.

“They are the most recent school to offer me and I will be there Wednesday and Thursday,” Toviano said. “Georgia is coming off a national championship, so it is a great program and I like what they have done with new coaches.

“Coach Fran Brown is a metroplex guy and he is now coaching defensive backs at Georgia. We have that connection and I am high on him. I want to get out to Georgia and see what that is like.”

He was at LSU last week and the Tigers made a strong first impression.

“LSU exceeded my expectations. Recruits research LSU, everyone talks about it online and when you go see it, it is special. With coach Kelly coming in and his new staff, LSU is going to bump it back up to a contender.

“The visit was great. I liked the people in that building. I saw it all and LSU has a great environment. They will be considered for an official visit for sure.”

Oklahoma had a hat on Toviano’s backpack Sunday at the Under Armour Next Camp and he plans to get back to Norman soon. He has visited before and the Sooners are among the contenders.

“The old staff was great and they recruited me hard, but the new staff is there and set to do great things now. Coach Venables is in and I see Oklahoma continuing to win. I feel like I am pretty high on their board, they have shown a lot of attention and I will be up there to see them soon.”

Oregon is another out-of-state school Toviano could visit in April. Alabama, Ohio State and USC are other schools in pursuit that aren’t in Texas. He is not ready to reveal his top schools yet, but that should happen soon. Not long after that, a decision could come for one of the elite defenders in the country.

“A lot will go into my decision. I want to feel at home. It would be nice to have good weather. The degree is very important to me. I would love to win. So many things will play into my commitment.”

Johntay Cook:

Alabama, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and others are in pursuit of Johntay Cook. But no schools recruit the Desoto (Texas) wide receiver harder than Texas and Texas A&M.

Steve Sarkisian and Jimbo Fisher have made the No. 42 prospect in the On3 Consensus a top priority and although a decision is not coming until the early signing period in December, this could come down to the Longhorns and Aggies.

“A lot of schools recruit me hard and come at me every day, but nobody recruits me harder than Texas and Texas A&M,” Cook told On3. “They know they are close to home, they both say they can’t let me leave the state and they do recruit me differently.”

Texas tells Cook he is a game-changer for their program. Sarkisian and Brennan Marion have pointed out to Cook that he can come in and affect the offense immediately.

Texas A&M signed the No. 1 recruiting class in 2022 and Fisher and Dameyune Craig have brought that up to Cook numerous times. Evan Stewart is a close friend of his and they want to pair them up to make a scary tandem in the SEC.

Each school has its own message and approach with Cook. Now he wants to sit back and watch and see if his questions are answered.

“This season will be very important for each school,” Cook said. “My dad and I talk about this a lot. Will Texas win and be able to finish games out better than last season? Can Texas A&M open up the offense and really throw the ball around?

“They talk about it, and it is something I want to see. A lot of things will impact my commitment and this is one thing I will be looking at.”

Other schools will get visits. Cook will continue to communicate with programs across the country. Texas and Texas A&M are in this for the long run though.

“At Texas, it is like family. Austin is a great city and it feels like Dallas, where I am from. It is a place I could live and play at.

“College Station is a college town with great fans that is based around Texas A&M football. Everyone loves Texas A&M there. They have great fans, the coaches are cool and it is a great environment.”

Cook plans to visit Texas on March 26 and April 2 before returning to Texas A&M on April 9.

When it comes time to make his decision, Cook said, “It will be about the best fit for me. I will find the place I want to play football at, go there for three years, ball out, then head to the NFL.”

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Even when you rag on me I very much enjoy your posting style. It's funny as hell especially to those who actually get worked up about it.

I've posted about him before, but in the early 00's, when Baylor was absolutely dreadful, they had a poster on their first non-Big 12 board of their own and his handle was "BrownBagOverHeadBear".

He was bright, clever, angry, belligerent, condescending, sarcastic, well-written, despondent, and aggressive. He was verbally beating the shit out of any hint of pollyanna behavior while posting angry, biting rant after angry, biting rant about their futile existence as fans of virtually any sport. I can't say that I adopted anything from him in my early days of posting on the boards, as I'd already started posting years before, but I certainly found his behaviors validating. It's pathetic, but it was also glorious to witness. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I never said you did.  I thought it was pure entertainment. No need to get defensive. You just made me laugh. 

I can handle being called many things, but being called into account for lacking self-awareness is a cut to the quick, sir. I feel like I'm very much aware of most of the flaws and choices I display on these boards. 

I will say this for Nahlin - when he was first posting in the Barking Carnival/Recruitocosm realm, he was very much angling for the funny, nice guy wing man to the behaviors the rest of us were exhibiting. He certainly figured out that there was an element of the fanbase that had an almost craven need to get mooned in public and they'd pay for it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In a caged death match between Jabba the Ketchum and Nahlin the Condescender, I’d like to have an old witch from Alquippa smoke bomb me into the center between them with nothing but my loin cloth, war paint, and white, hot rage. 

Nobody on Surly except @SydneyCarton wants to imagine that.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Mike Roach is getting ready to put in a crystal ball pick for Vince Young to Texas.

Roach was on the Horn last week lamenting how early in his career he was too reckless in making predictions, then over-rotated to being too conservative recently. In a nutshell, he’s getting tips from Surly, whose in his head. 

Edited by Dbeasy

4 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

I never go anywhere else other than the recruiting board so I’ll post this here. One-year deal. 225C1D12-4DC5-46D7-A0CA-E0502C522132.thumb.jpeg.a872b29b5355a5c6932ec80f5a7fbbf6.jpeg

Absolutely the wrong thread, but the fact that this dude has had a longer NFL career than like 99% of the the players who have come through Austin over the past decade is pretty wild.

• Hook 'Em 3

Arch Manning locks in return visits to Georgia and Texas
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

STEVE WILTFONG

More than a name: Why Arch Manning deserves the No. 1 ranking in 2023's Top247 update

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning will Georgia this weekend and Texas a few days later arriving in Austin on the 24th, his family tells 247Sports. The 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 recruit visited both last summer and then returned for games during the fall.

“He’s excited to watch practice, he’s excited to watch meetings,” Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. “Really get a chance now that the pandemic has really passed to get in the weeds and watch how they coach and watch what they do and get a feel for the staff and organization of it. He’s most excited to watch practice. That’s what it’s about. That’s what he enjoys most about the game. He’s a meat and potatoes kid, it’s a work visit as much as anything and he wants to get into the quarterback room and see how it works.”

Besides the Bulldogs and Longhorns, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning is also considering Alabama, Florida, LSU and Ole Miss.

“Georgia he’s gotten to know Coach (Todd) Monken really well,” Stewart said. “I think Coach Monken has done a really good job with this recruitment. Obviously what they did with their offense, and all of them came down to watch him play basketball, I think he has a good relationship with the staff. I think he enjoyed the players. It’s a great opportunity for him to low-key go there and watch what made them great. They do a good job with pro-style, that’w what Coach Monken does and he’s excited. This will be a great chance for he and his dad to check out Athens and look at it in a different light. It’s nice where it’s not a Saturday and a game and those camera. This to me is when I think the real authentic recruiting is done and you get to really see what it’s like out at practice. He’ll be able to experience what being a player at Georgia is all about.”

Manning is excited to continue growing his relationship and connection with Texas as well.

“From the jump Coach Sark has been on him, he was the first head coach that came through in the spring as well,” Stewart said. “He’s done a great job consistently building that relationship. So much enthusiasm around their program. AJ Milwee and Sark both have done a great job authentically developing that relationship and checking in with him and they’re really excited about what’s going on around there. That new facility, all those young players, excited about their offensive line. He wants to get a look at it in a different light. This is his chance to be a recruit but watch how they work and interact with the players. They were one of the earliest ones on him, they’ve been incredibly persistent and it unfolded naturally. I think it’s the same with Georgia and Texas.”

These are the first two visits since the fall for Manning who played out the rest of his football season and then the basketball campaign before getting back on the road. Manning wants to knock out these next wave of visits before his own spring practice begins in May.

Manning will be a four-year starter and heads into his senior season having thrown for 6.307 yards and 81 touchdowns with another 749 yards rushing and 19 more scores.

“He’s in a great spot,” Stewart said. “He’s worked real hard in the weight room. He’s working with all our offensive coaches. Awesome kid to coach. We’re excited to watch him throw it around in May for sure.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Absolutely the wrong thread, but the fact that this dude has had a longer NFL career than like 99% of the the players who have come through Austin over the past decade is pretty wild.

He’s like the only one who could block.  Him and Beck, who also still has a career.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG

Hide contents

STEVE WILTFONG

More than a name: Why Arch Manning deserves the No. 1 ranking in 2023's Top247 update

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning will Georgia this weekend and Texas a few days later arriving in Austin on the 24th, his family tells 247Sports. The 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 recruit visited both last summer and then returned for games during the fall.

“He’s excited to watch practice, he’s excited to watch meetings,” Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. “Really get a chance now that the pandemic has really passed to get in the weeds and watch how they coach and watch what they do and get a feel for the staff and organization of it. He’s most excited to watch practice. That’s what it’s about. That’s what he enjoys most about the game. He’s a meat and potatoes kid, it’s a work visit as much as anything and he wants to get into the quarterback room and see how it works.”

Besides the Bulldogs and Longhorns, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning is also considering Alabama, Florida, LSU and Ole Miss.

“Georgia he’s gotten to know Coach (Todd) Monken really well,” Stewart said. “I think Coach Monken has done a really good job with this recruitment. Obviously what they did with their offense, and all of them came down to watch him play basketball, I think he has a good relationship with the staff. I think he enjoyed the players. It’s a great opportunity for him to low-key go there and watch what made them great. They do a good job with pro-style, that’w what Coach Monken does and he’s excited. This will be a great chance for he and his dad to check out Athens and look at it in a different light. It’s nice where it’s not a Saturday and a game and those camera. This to me is when I think the real authentic recruiting is done and you get to really see what it’s like out at practice. He’ll be able to experience what being a player at Georgia is all about.”

Manning is excited to continue growing his relationship and connection with Texas as well.

“From the jump Coach Sark has been on him, he was the first head coach that came through in the spring as well,” Stewart said. “He’s done a great job consistently building that relationship. So much enthusiasm around their program. AJ Milwee and Sark both have done a great job authentically developing that relationship and checking in with him and they’re really excited about what’s going on around there. That new facility, all those young players, excited about their offensive line. He wants to get a look at it in a different light. This is his chance to be a recruit but watch how they work and interact with the players. They were one of the earliest ones on him, they’ve been incredibly persistent and it unfolded naturally. I think it’s the same with Georgia and Texas.”

These are the first two visits since the fall for Manning who played out the rest of his football season and then the basketball campaign before getting back on the road. Manning wants to knock out these next wave of visits before his own spring practice begins in May.

Manning will be a four-year starter and heads into his senior season having thrown for 6.307 yards and 81 touchdowns with another 749 yards rushing and 19 more scores.

“He’s in a great spot,” Stewart said. “He’s worked real hard in the weight room. He’s working with all our offensive coaches. Awesome kid to coach. We’re excited to watch him throw it around in May for sure.”

In my wet dream... He tells jawja, thanks but no thanks..it's you.. then commits to us on one of the two weekends he will be in Austin

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG

Reveal hidden contents

STEVE WILTFONG

If Todd Monken is what's drawing Arch to UGA, they should be out. That guy is gonna be a HC or in the NFL by the time Arch shows up.

Mike at Night: Wide Receiver recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Wide Receiver recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

— I've been told that sources expect 2023 four-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway in Austin on the weekend of April 2. The Langham Creek star is a priority for the Longhorns as a dynamic receiving threat with legitimate verified speed and big playmaking ability. In his two years at Langham Creek, Pettaway put together numbers totaling in 1,798 yards and 16 touchdowns. Combine that with his 10.5 100-meter speed and he brings a dimension to the field few others do. Pettaway isn't able to make a lot of visits as he competes in multiple sports and works in his off time. We are still trying to confirm the trip through him, but we've had enough buzz from folks around him to move forward with reporting it.

— As Steve Wiltfong reported today, Arch Manning's camp confirmed he will be at Georgia and Texas in the next two weeks. The Georgia visit is instructive as the Bulldogs are still very much a player for him. This morning in The Stampede, I wrote that I'd be digging a little deeper on Arch as we had only heard of the Texas visit up until this point. While there seems to be a buzz around the internet that Manning is all but done to Texas, I still don't buy that as of right now. Texas will host him the week after Georgia, and if they somehow got him back the weekend after, it would be a better sign. We haven't confirmed anything like that at this point, so right now this just looks like two spring visits which was part of the plan all along. We will see how things look after he makes the trip.

— One guy I'm watching closely this spring as a potential early commit candidate is Dekaney wide receiver Jonah Wilson. The four-star prospect is headed to Austin March 26 to see Texas, and this is one where I think Texas could potentially shut it down in the spring. Wilson has been vocal about looking to commit early and building a class around him, and Texas is putting the pressure on. Brennan Marion worked quickly there and has several ties to people at Dekaney. Wilson is a big body with some intriguing athleticism and a lot of potential for development at the next level. I think we will have a much better read on his recruitment coming out of his visit.

• Hook 'Em 1